2020 MLB thread

ss13

13 hours ago, Bartles said:

The Marlins outbreak may be the first serious crack in any pro league's COVID plan. The team will spend an extra night in Philly rather than crowd onto a plane home, where they are scheduled to host the Orioles starting Monday night. The four positive players have to quarantine in Philly either way. Remember the Braves also lost a couple players, and they just hosted the Marlins a few days back. (Reds also dealing with multiple new cases)

It wouldn't be surprising to see new positives soon from the Marlins, Braves and Phillies. Miami can't afford to lose many more without scrapping some games. This will be a nervous week for MLB.

This thing going to end before it even gets going?

14 minutes ago, Constant said:

What about the Phillies? They have pretty much all been exposed. 

We could find out any time now. A lot riding on the Phillies tests because in the event there are no new positives who played in the game, that would actually be a good sign that outdoor baseball can be played safely. But if there are multiple Phillies, or maybe additional Braves who also played MIA recently, that's a really bad sign for the sport.

It would be kinda funny if the Central and West cohorts just kept going with no issues while East teams have to shut down. Not an idea situation for TV networks

7 minutes ago, TeddyBearStallion said:

If MLB cancels, then there's no way we'll have football (NFL or NCAA) this year.

I don't think that's true even though I think football is unlikely. The MLB player culture was always going to be a problem. They are going to be the ones more so than NBA and NFL that don't take precautions seriously and break the rules. There are a lot of Aubrey Huffs in Major League Baseball. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Longhornlax said:

It will be interesting to see how the league handles this.  Will they shut down everything, kick teams out like MLS did or some other option. 

not sure, but can guarantee that  whatever they do will be stupid and moronic

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

This is an impressive clusterfuck.  They had players test positive and the team played Sunday any way with no clue on how many other players had it.  MLB had months to figure this out and it took 1 weekend to blow up their plan.

Edited by kevwun
  • Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, Longhornlax said:

It will be interesting to see how the league handles this.  Will they shut down everything, kick teams out like MLS did or some other option. 

This is why they are playing with a 60 man pool. You can quarantine an entire team if need be. For the Marlins, it might help them long term as they get to see more young players to determine what they actually have in terms of MLB talent. Job #1 for the Marlins and MLB is to determine the source of the Marlins outbreak. Postponing the Phillies and Yankee game was a smart decision too. This will be a big week for the continuation of the sport. If the Phillies come back negative, then MLB is in good shape. If a bunch of Phillies get it too, then I think the season is over.

23 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

It is interesting that Korean League, Japanese League, and the NBA can all make it through a weekend while MLB can not. NFL and college should be watching and taking notes as to what is working.

I get that it’s easier to pull this off in the UFC, but even Dana white was smart enough to realize they would probably need some form of a bubble (aka fight island). It isn’t surprising that the two dumb commissioners blew it and the smart and/or innovative ones are probably going to pull it off.

Edited by youdunnf'dup

14 minutes ago, kevwun said:

This is an impressive clusterfuck.  They had players test positive and the team played Sunday any way with no clue on how many other players had it.  MLB had months to figure this out and it took 1 weekend to blow up their plan.

Florida always has to fuck shit up.

There are many fuck ups here:

A. Didn't bubble (which doesn't eliminate chance but cuts it down tremendously compared to people moving about freely)

B. Their tests suck. I went and had a test 2 weeks ago at 10am and was sent result at 11pm. I do not work in a multi million billion dollar industry. These fucksticks should have instant tests results where if they test positive they are not allowed in. Instead they test, and then from what i heard, may not get results for 2 days....what's the fucking point of testing then? So stupid.

C. Manfred as the leader

It was doomed to fail from the start

This is on the players and union, they refused the bubble and insisted on too much leeway with their off the field activities.

MLB can still continue, but I'm not sure the owners actually want to, and Manfred is a leadership vacuum.  Temp suspension of the season for a quarantine and shift to the 3 site bubble backup plan.  Could also reduce risk by shifting to robo umps.  Enforce the player distancing restrictions that have routinely been ignored in the dugout and celebrations.  But I doubt that much, or any, of the infections are from actually playing the game.

53 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

It is interesting that Korean League, Japanese League, and the NBA can all make it through a weekend while MLB can not. NFL and college should be watching and taking notes as to what is working.

Adam Silver for president.

I wish I was kidding.