2020 MLB thread

ss13

17 minutes ago, Scraps said:

There are many fuck ups here:

A. Didn't bubble (which doesn't eliminate chance but cuts it down tremendously compared to people moving about freely)

B. Their tests suck. I went and had a test 2 weeks ago at 10am and was sent result at 11pm. I do not work in a multi million billion dollar industry. These fucksticks should have instant tests results where if they test positive they are not allowed in. Instead they test, and then from what i heard, may not get results for 2 days....what's the fucking point of testing then? So stupid.

C. Manfred as the leader

It was doomed to fail from the start

I don't think those 1-hour tests are very accurate.

I seriously can't believe they let this thing get fucked three ways from Tuesday in one weekend.  How did they not have a policy on how many positives it takes to cancel a game?  Seems like that would have been very very high up on the to-do list.  Manfred needs to be sent adrift; I don't know how this clown is still in charge.

• Hook 'Em 3

I don't think those 1-hour tests are very accurate.
I seriously can't believe they let this thing get fucked three ways from Tuesday in one weekend.  How did they not have a policy on how many positives it takes to cancel a game?  Seems like that would have been very very high up on the to-do list.  Manfred needs to be sent adrift; I don't know how this clown is still in charge.
They are already doing something not as accurate (spit test) that is out there and taking 24-48 hours to get the results lol

The thing that really blows my mind about this is that we are 5 months in to a global pandemic and people still don't understand that if you have been exposed and have to get tested that you have to consider yourself positive and act accordingly until the results comeback.  You don't continue to move about freely in the meantime.  That MLB doesn't understand this is just depressing and I would be laughing at their stupidity if it didn't mean that the season is probably going to get cancelled.

Edited by kevwun
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

2021 season starts on April fools.

I wish I could make this up

At this rate, we’ll have witnessed ~7 days of baseball over the previous 518 at that point.

I would be so depressed if this weren’t so expected.

My biggest concern now might be figuring out how to keep my 5 yo interested in the sport having seen virtually no baseball for the most recent ~20% of his life.

34 minutes ago, kevwun said:

The thing that really blows my mind about this is that we are 5 months in to a global pandemic and people still don't understand that if you have been exposed and have to get tested that you have to consider yourself positive and act accordingly until the results comeback.  You don't continue to move about freely in the meantime.  That MLB doesn't understand this is just depressing and I would be laughing at their stupidity if it didn't mean that the season is probably going to get cancelled.

And I'm sure it was business-as-usual (or close to it) inside team clubhouses. We haven't gone back to the office yet but when we do there will be rules in place -- no in-office meetings of any kind, you must wear masks at all times unless you have your own confined office and are in it, break room is basically off-limits, there are bathroom protocols, etc.

So what are the owners' options if the players' association still refuses a bubble option?  I have no problem if individual players want to opt out to avoid risk, even if they all do, but I'd rather see an Astros that are all minor league callups than no baseball at all.  I'm sure that there are plenty of young and minor league players that would be willing to do 2.5-4 months in a bubble.

The owners have already forced a season, right?  So they can just call up guys and resume play in a bubble at some point if the owners choose to?  Or does the bubble require new negotiations?

And stop worrying about trying to get the playoffs in ASAP.  A bubble isn't perfect but there is less risk and you can do 14-day quarantine pauses as needed.  Football is going to be much more difficult to pull off a full season, so come Nov-Dec the TV side may be very willing to provide additional revenue for more content to replace big holes in their schedules.

Edited by clapclapclap

Plz forget the bubble and don't even bring it up for baseball. It was a logistical nightmare even with time to plan. Arizona and Florida were the most likely locations and they are both swimming in virus now. Plus the weather only allows night games so you'd need a bunch of fields to be rigged up for safety. And television would need to come in and outfit all the fields for their needs. All of which costs a fortune, and of course no fan revenue coming in. And I'm sure many other deal-killing reasons

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

So shut the Phillies down for two weeks? Can't be sure any of them didn't catch it yesterday until the incubation period passes.

How do you makeup 2 weeks of games? You might have to shut down all teams for 2 weeks.

Edited by Pasken

13 minutes ago, Bartles said:

Plz forget the bubble and don't even bring it up for baseball. It was a logistical nightmare even with time to plan. Arizona and Florida were the most likely locations and they are both swimming in virus now. 

Florida is also the site of the (so far) successful NBA bubble.  

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

The Marlins and Phillies need to isolate for 2 weeks. If the Phillies play, there will certainly be spread that could quickly get out of hand

Yep, I think this is the only way to keep this from getting out of hand. Standings based on end-of-season winning percentage.   Are the pro-rated salaries they negotiated based on the expected games (60/162), or would shutting a team down mean a paycut for everyone?

Edited by Beau Vine

1 hour ago, UTexasFight said:

2021 season starts on April fools.

I wish I could make this up

At this rate, we’ll have witnessed ~7 days of baseball over the previous 518 at that point.

I would be so depressed if this weren’t so expected.

My biggest concern now might be figuring out how to keep my 5 yo interested in the sport having seen virtually no baseball for the most recent ~20% of his life.

Play baseball with him?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Scraps said:

They are already doing something not as accurate (spit test) that is out there and taking 24-48 hours to get the results lol

do not take a spit test in an abandoned sam's parking lot, no matter how legit the 'covid testing' banner look !

14 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Play baseball with him?

Oh we definitely do that... most if not every day.

but I’m a pretty boring guy and 1 on 1 baseball (because everyone is supposed to be social distancing and not participating in leagues, right?) gets kinda old.

Helps having real games to talk about/ learn from. But we’ll just keep digging through and watching the classics

41 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Yep, I think this is the only way to keep this from getting out of hand. Standings based on end-of-season winning percentage.   Are the pro-rated salaries they negotiated based on the expected games (60/162), or would shutting a team down mean a paycut for everyone?

Not sure you could legitimately call a team that goes 23-17 and division winner over a team that goes 23-17 a division winner over a team that goes 33-27.  But I don't think we see the end of the season.  I think this thing blows up in the next couple of weeks.

I've spent an hour trying to find the full agreement to see if it really doesn't outline protocol for cancelling games.  The closest thing I've found is this clause:

Clubs must take the following steps to minimize potential transmission:

Identify all players and other employees who have had close contact and closely monitor them.

So the Marlins' idea of "closely monitoring players who have had close contact" was to put them in the starting lineup the next day?

The Marlins need to be fined bigtime for this.

And yeah, somehow they wrote a 100+ page document that didn't establish protocol for cancelling games, but did prohibit sunflower seeds.

Edited by Beau Vine

2 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

I've spent an hour trying to find the full agreement to see if it really doesn't outline protocol for cancelling games.  The closest thing I've found is this clause:

So the Marlins' idea of "closely monitoring players who have had close contact" was to put them in the starting lineup the next day?

The Marlins need to be fined bigtime for this.

No one puts Derek in a corner. 

This is 100% the fault of the manager, players, & coaching staff. They called a players meeting to decide if they should play or not, everyone talking in a crowded room. Beyond idiotic.

Always thought it was stupid for mlb to go with the 2/3/4 games series when they said they were trying to minimize travel and risk.  At this point, if they aren't going to do a bubble, it would be better to take a pause and redo the schedule.  Switch to division only games and do 7 game series home and away.  Cuts travel down to 4 road trips, 4 hotel stays.  Or 6/6 if need some flexibility for game postponements.  Quarantine the teams in the hotels during road trips.  Only a week at a time, so manageable.  Rig workers are able to handle such 'hardships'...

With an expanded playoffs there's a good chance one or more teams with a losing record makes the post-season, so the uneven schedule isn't as impactful.

Edited by clapclapclap
  • Hook 'Em 1

46 minutes ago, clapclapclap said:

Always thought it was stupid for mlb to go with the 2/3/4 games series when they said they were trying to minimize travel and risk.  At this point, if they aren't going to do a bubble, it would be better to take a pause and redo the schedule.  Switch to division only games and do 7 game series home and away.  Cuts travel down to 4 road trips, 4 hotel stays.  Or 6/6 if need some flexibility for game postponements.  Quarantine the teams in the hotels during road trips.  Only a week at a time, so manageable.  Rig workers are able to handle such 'hardships'...

Have thought similar.  Less series and travel.  More games within each series.  But honestly, introducing travel at all just makes it messy, imo.

4 minutes ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

I'm nowhere near pro-Manfred or pro-owner, but my limited understanding is the player's association rejected a "bubble" type system.  If that's the case, surely I can expect Mr. Price to call them out soon.

Well, the bubbles were going to be in Florida and Phoenix, so I'm sure that would have been fine and dandy.

2 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Well, the bubbles were going to be in Florida and Phoenix, so I'm sure that would have been fine and dandy.

Hmm, well, at least they could somewhat contain things, perhaps?  I dunno.  If location of the bubbles were under debate, I suppose that's one thing.  It seems the NHL and NBA are doing OK (so far) with their plans.