Hey it's Summer of course I have an AC problem

Honeywell digital thermostat is reading 93 degrees outside at 4:00 am (it's only 77-78). Operating Temp is set at 69 (typically run it at 71).  The inside temp. is reading 73 at the first floor.  The outside temp thing was the baffling issue, shouldn't be reading that temp. when it's actually 77-78 outside temp.

Main 5 ton unit is less than 10 years old.  Went outside this a.m to look at the compressor.  It's pretty warm to the touch, as are the set lines outside, and inside the garage at the furnace/air handler unit.  

Bad fan starter capacitor ?

Bad fan motor ?

Bad compressor ?

Am I fucked ?

Getting the house ready too sell, don't need the cost of a new compressor that's less than 10 years old.

First of all, buy an infrared thermometer for about $25. One of its many uses is to check the temperature differential between your HVAC supply and return. 

Come back when you have those two readings.

You hope to see about a 20 degree drop from your a/c. 

Once you have that reading, you can start to whittle down your issues. 

Edited by Randolph Duke

30 minutes ago, Jkwellborn said:

When you turn the unit on, is the out door unit humming? Does the fan outside come on? Do you know how to get to the capacitor? It’s probably that.

Could be a bad thermostat or battery in it too.

I think the unit came on but the fan didn't turn, but was turning freely so its not locked up. I think this is a compressor issue as the unit, and line sets are hot too the touch. Is a capacitor a DIY thing ?

1 hour ago, UnivTex34 said:

Those Wifi thermostats do not read an actual outside temp at your location, they use info from the web. It may be its set to a wrong location, or the reporting station Honeywell is using for your location is malfunctioning.

Goddamn. Who the fuck would think this is a good idea? Fuck you engineers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

I think the unit came on but the fan didn't turn, but was turning freely so its not locked up. I think this is a compressor issue as the unit, and line sets are hot too the touch. Is a capacitor a DIY thing ?

You can swap the capacitor yourself. It’s usually located under a panel attached by screws on the outside unit. Once you find the capacitor, you’ll need to find a local AC repair store that sells to the public. Many of them only sell to licensed repair guys. Call first to make sure they have the part and will sell it to you. 

30 minutes ago, Foggy Notion said:

You can swap the capacitor yourself. It’s usually located under a panel attached by screws on the outside unit. Once you find the capacitor, you’ll need to find a local AC repair store that sells to the public. Many of them only sell to licensed repair guys. Call first to make sure they have the part and will sell it to you. 

Yep gonna try this first.  Gonna to get a thermal thermometer to check the register and return temp. as well.

EDIT:  Was just standing outside, and the compressor kicked on but the fan ain't running.  Changing the capacitor first. 

If that ain't it then fan motor next ?

Edited by Onboard 2.0
  • Like 1

Try to turn the unit on and spin the fan with a stick. of course, you can look at a capacitor and tell that it’s messed up most of the time. Be careful messing with them because they will fuck you up.
Take a picture of the wires while they are on it, discharge the capacitor after you get it unhooked and take it to get an identical one. Hook it up the same way. Enjoy cool air.
While you have the power killed, take the top of the condenser off with the fan on it. Spray some foaming coil cleaner on the coils and wash it out while your doing the other.

1 hour ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Yep gonna try this first.  Gonna to get a thermal thermometer to check the register and return temp. as well.

EDIT:  Was just standing outside, and the compressor kicked on but the fan ain't running.  Changing the capacitor first. 

If that ain't it then fan motor next ?

Is your thermostat still showing weird temperature readings?

The other thing to check is to make sure that your AC drain line isn’t clogged. If it’s clogged and water backs up near your evaporator coil, it can cause parts of your system to shut down. 

20 minutes ago, Jkwellborn said:

Try to turn the unit on and spin the fan with a stick. of course, you can look at a capacitor and tell that it’s messed up most of the time. Be careful messing with them because they will fuck you up.
Take a picture of the wires while they are on it, discharge the capacitor after you get it unhooked and take it to get an identical one. Hook it up the same way. Enjoy cool air.
While you have the power killed, take the top of the condenser off with the fan on it. Spray some foaming coil cleaner on the coils and wash it out while your doing the other.

Thanks, the blades spin but won't run at all.   Looks like the capacitors top has a very slight bulge, but can't see it very clearly, so not 1000% sure. You can hear the motor buzzing like it wants to run when the compressor kicks on... I think.

Unit was installed in 2011 or 2012 so it's a time for it to fail based on what I've seen in the videos.

Yes, just watched a video talking about discharging the capacitor after removing the 220 breaker at the unit or you can get a shock. He said use a large screw driver and touch 2 of the connections simultaneously and then touch the remaining connection to one of the just touched connections . I believe that was what he described, but didn't show for some reason.  Took a pic of the connections to each wire so I'll get them correct.  

Once you remove the 220 breaker at the unit should you turn the unit off at the main house panel board as well ?

1 minute ago, Foggy Notion said:

Is your thermostat still showing weird temperature readings?

The other thing to check is to make sure that your AC drain line isn’t clogged. If it’s clogged and water backs up near your evaporator coil, it can cause parts of your system to shut down. 

Thanks, hadn't checked that yet will do right now.  Thermostat is reading inside temp 74.  setting 68 outside temp 113  (it's 90 according to weatherbug.com)

2 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Once you remove the 220 breaker at the unit should you turn the unit off at the main house panel board as well ?

that's safest as there's a small wire which turns your compressor on/off that can still give you a little jolt.  

if you didn't know, you can buy a compressor online from amazon also.

13 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

that's safest as there's a small wire which turns your compressor on/off that can still give you a little jolt.  

if you didn't know, you can buy a compressor online from amazon also.

Thanks, better safe than sorry.  I'll turn them both off.  The fan will start to run if you give it a nudge, so I'm pretty sure it's the capacitor at this point.  Touching a screw driver to 2 connections at a time is the correct way to discharge the capacitor ?? (after pulling the breaker of course).

The compressor is probably fine.  It's a new'ish Trane XR-15 unit, so I have faith it's not anything major (fingers crossed of course).

Edited by Onboard 2.0
  • Like 1

Thanks, better safe than sorry.  I'll turn them both off.  The fan will start to run if you give it a nudge, so I'm pretty sure it's the capacitor at this point.  Touching a screw driver to 2 connections at a time is the correct way to discharge the capacitor ?? (after pulling the breaker of course).
The compressor is probably fine.  It's a new'ish Trane XR-15 unit, so I have faith it's not anything major (fingers crossed of course).

Yeah once the capacitor is off just touch a decent screwdriver between the contacts. Don’t touch the shank when you do.

New capacitor installed. Air is flowing, cooler air than this A.M.  Time to monitor the thermostat like an OCD patient for the next couple hours.
Damn I love the Surly. I think I owe some of you fuckers a big sloppy kiss.
Unknown-1.jpeg.4f37e0ac8056ebd94b08c75190c72917.jpeg

Why don’t you give them some of your cigarettes you lucky fuck?