2020 Astros Season Thread

Jshep34

I’m sure I’m just pissed off and hyperbolizing, but this feels like the most miserable time I’ve had being an Astros fan. Sure, the baseball was bad in the dark years, but there’s at least something endearing about rooting for a genuinely untalented team trying their best. But the injuries of this year combined with the unclutch hitting combined with the utter dogshit play from our best players, all while the rest of the baseball world wants MMP to burn to the ground with everyone inside... it just feels like an obligation to root for this team right now, rather than the fun it should be. Don’t get me wrong, I’ll still watch every damn inning, but holy shit.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Chuckie Finster said:

I’m sure I’m just pissed off and hyperbolizing, but this feels like the most miserable time I’ve had being an Astros fan. Sure, the baseball was bad in the dark years, but there’s at least something endearing about rooting for a genuinely untalented team trying their best. But the injuries of this year combined with the unclutch hitting combined with the utter dogshit play from our best players, all while the rest of the baseball world wants MMP to burn to the ground with everyone inside... it just feels like an obligation to root for this team right now, rather than the fun it should be. Don’t get me wrong, I’ll still watch every damn inning, but holy shit.

yes, this is where i am. 

8 hours ago, Chuckie Finster said:

It's a joke season bereft of a real spring training - I don't know what you were expecting.  The product MLB is putting on the field is similar to spring training but with a bunch of pitchers blowing out their arms.  

At this point I'm only really interested in seeing the young players (particularly the pitchers) develop.  This is not real baseball and the career altering injuries a number of pitchers are suffering because of the abbreviated ramp-up should single-handedly cost Manfred his job.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

9 hours ago, Chuckie Finster said:

I’m with you on this, and the hypocrisy of the rest  of baseball (media, players, and fans) have made it difficult to enjoy the rest of the game like I normally do.  Mookie Betts made a great play the other night that everyone was raving about.  I couldn’t even enjoy it as a baseball fan...not because of some woke COVId reason, just because everything baseball is annoying me.

I feel like it may not feel right again until this “era” ends, which blows because I still love Altuve, Bregman, etc. and want them to succeed more than anything.  But all the shit around them makes it tough.  I’m hoping it all feels right again when I can go see a game at MMP.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

I’m with you on this, and the hypocrisy of the rest  of baseball (media, players, and fans) have made it difficult to enjoy the rest of the game like I normally do.  Mookie Betts made a great play the other night that everyone was raving about.  I couldn’t even enjoy it as a baseball fan...not because of some woke COVId reason, just because everything baseball is annoying me.

I feel like it may not feel right again until this “era” ends, which blows because I still love Altuve, Bregman, etc. and want them to succeed more than anything.  But all the shit around them makes it tough.  I’m hoping it all feels right again when I can go see a game at MMP.

And then you watch George, my favorite player in the entire league over the past half decade, constantly looking like his dog just got run over. He isn’t someone like Bregman or Correa who seemingly welcome the hatred, he just wants to have a good time. You know he looks at guys like Marwin, who statistically seemed to be the worst offender on the entire team, get a complete pass from the baseball world because he doesn’t currently wear an Astros uniform. If there’s another competitive offer, does anyone actually believe that George will willingly stay in this environment? It’s all just depressing, man.

12 hours ago, Honeysucklerose said:

This bullpen blows

I'll tell ya' what blows worse.  When the sixth inning rolled around and Zack was in control the ump started not giving him the close calls.  I forget who the first batter was, but Zack threw 4 pitches that in my opinion were all strikes.  He got reamed and then it was downhill.

11 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

Look, I (kinda) get it, but you guys would make terrible Alabama or New England fans

sorry watching live baseball for the first time in 9 months is so painful. 

No shit. Its the beginning of the season, albeit a short one.  We have played like crap, we have a high school pitching staff, and we would still be in the playoffs if they started today.

Need to get some arms healthy, get our streak hitters hot, and we may come together at exactly the right time. Also, I have liked what I have seen from a few of our young pitchers like Sneed and Paredes even though they have made some mistakes. Glad they are getting some action. 

Edited by FondrenRoad

I mostly agree with the "chill the fuck out" message but admittedly the demoralizing part as fans is seeing so many injuries and unexplained absences and your staff ace and staff closer going down with potentially very significant arm issues.

The script flip of last night's game was a steel toe blow to the nuts.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Been hearing about Forest Whitley for years now.  Is he basically done now?
Not quite yet but the odds are not looking good. He hasn't made the jump expected after his strong performance in the Texas League two or three years ago.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

6 minutes ago, CycleTex87 said:

They’ve brought up many lesser regarded pitchers for fill in duty and some have stuck.  I guess they’re waiting for / expecting Whitley to be in the starting rotation. 

Whitley is starting to seem like fool's gold. Lately it seems like players either jump quickly to the show or don't pan out all that well.