2020 Astros Season Thread

Jshep34

This "season" reminds me of 2000. We lost our best starter (Hampton) in the offseason, Wagner was awful and then shut down for the year in the first couple of weeks, pitching staff was awful (particularly the pen), Biggio missed half the year, team lost 90 games despite a good offense. (Not that the 2020 offense has been particularly good yet, but they will probably be fine.)

It was a bad season sandwiched between division titles and playoff appearances. 

This "season" reminds me of 2000. We lost our best starter (Hampton) in the offseason, Wagner was awful and then shut down for the year in the first couple of weeks, pitching staff was awful (particularly the pen), Biggio missed half the year, team lost 90 games despite a good offense. (Not that the 2020 offense has been particularly good yet, but they will probably be fine.)
Epitome of 2000 was Jose Lima. He was an All Star in '99 and probably had his career year that season, followed by supreme suck in the inaugural season at MMPUS.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

I agree that intentionally walking Grossman with two outs instead of pitching to him carefully at least was curious. I think Dusty probably wanted our AAAA reliever to pitch to their AAAA catcher instead of a ML hitter who has proven adept at reaching base. I also think Dusty was all-in on that inning and wanted to maximize the chances of it ending one way or another. Either Sneed was gonna get that out or he was gonna blow the game.

Sigh.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Hank Chinaski said:

I think if we can get Urquidy back at 100% this team will be fine. Will allow LMJ to be put into the pen and a Grienke/Urquidy/Javier/Valdez/Bielak will be fine with this offense. 

• Fuck You 1

Just now, Scraps said:
2 minutes ago, elfenix said:
there's no drummer in the outfield, so we've got that going for us, which is nice

They are still piping in fake drumming

i don't hear it on the radio.  sounds like they've got a sound sampler from 1st grade recess.  just kids screaming

I feared this would happen. Baseball being such a mental sport I was worried if any of these guys started off slow or slumping they might go into a tail spin at the plate. I know it's early but does anyone think all of the "cheaters" shit is playing a role in with any of these struggles at the plate?

Just curious if anyone thought this like I have.

• Like 1

I feared this would happen. Baseball being such a mental sport I was worried if any of these guys started off slow or slumping they might go into a tail spin at the plate. I know it's early but does anyone think all of the "cheaters" shit is playing a role in with any of these struggles at the plate?

Just curious if anyone thought this like I have.
Absolutely it is, added pressure

14 games played. This team is 3 games worse than the 2017 and 2019 teams with an entirely rookie bullpen, no Verlander, no Cole, no closer, no Alvarez, no Urquidy etc and their record in extra innings is 1-3. There's reason for gnashing of teeth given the impotent offense lately, but there are some surprising bright spots as well. The biggest blow to morale isn't their play as much as the injuries to Verlander and Osuna. 

Edited by Gourmand

Rays starter Charlie Morton is done for the day with apparent discomfort. As soon as we get an update from the Rays, we'll give you more details. Morton is out of the game after giving up a BB to Aaron Hicks to start off the 3rd inning. On the broadcast, it seemed like the Rays' trainer was checking Morton's back. Yankees 1-0 Rays

I love watching guys like Javier, Urquidy, Paredes, and Valdez surprise everyone.  Javier was awesome last year in CC and Fayetteville and his stuff rocketed him up the minors in short time but the rest of them have kind of come out of nowhere. I follow milb boxscores for Astros prospects and get suckered into the Whitleys and Tuckers, but it's exciting to see the less-hyped players make the most of their opportunities and shoot their shot at the bigs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gourmand said:

14 games played. This team is 3 games worse than the 2017 and 2019 teams with an entirely rookie bullpen, no Verlander, no Cole, no closer, no Alvarez, no Urquidy etc and their record in extra innings is 1-3. There's reason for gnashing of teeth given the impotent offense lately, but there are some surprising bright spots as well. The biggest blow to morale isn't their play as much as the injuries to Verlander and Osuna. 

With the shortened season it’s like we’ve lost 10 games in a row, but I get your point.