2020 Astros Season Thread

Jshep34

Tucker is fucking lost as usual. Cut bait now. Should have traded him away when his minor
league stock was sky high.

Dont worry. Every 10 games he hits a HR or rbi double. Then gives that “aww shucks” goober look and Stros keep him around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

freaky....this is the first game of that doubleheader I was talking about like a week ago 

https://sportstalk790.iheart.com/featured/sean-salisbury/content/2020-07-02-astros-video-of-the-day-derek-bell-hits-walk-off-homer-vs-mets-in-1998/?Sc=editorial&Pname=local_social&Keyid=socialflow&fbclid=IwAR0R31T17rISN2qQ0jrmqUPYIqpU0-1BMg4y5jNo4W-_Ost0ZKQN1JQT39M

So much awesome in that vid......Bells reaction, the catchers reaction, Mitch Meluskey jk

Edited by Scraps
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Scraps said:

freaky....this is the first game of that doubleheader I was talking about like a week ago 

https://sportstalk790.iheart.com/featured/sean-salisbury/content/2020-07-02-astros-video-of-the-day-derek-bell-hits-walk-off-homer-vs-mets-in-1998/?Sc=editorial&Pname=local_social&Keyid=socialflow&fbclid=IwAR0R31T17rISN2qQ0jrmqUPYIqpU0-1BMg4y5jNo4W-_Ost0ZKQN1JQT39M

So much awesome in that vid......Bells reaction, the catchers reaction, Mitch Meluskey jk

Holy shit. we had a bullpen that could keep a guy from scoring from 2nd with no outs for 3 straight innings?

wait...

Man James sucked as hard as LMJ was awesome last night.

If he doesn't soon improve his ability to consistently throw strikes that aren't right down the middle of the zone, you have to wonder how much leash he has left on the active roster. He's arguably the worst pitcher on the staff currently. He isn't pitching any better than Sneed or Rodriguez but he throws hard so there's that.

This bullpen is a disaster right now.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

I get that throwing 98mph is cool and all, but I have started to wonder if he were to dial it back a little if he could consistently hit marks.  

I mean I would assume Strom etc. have already checked into this and see that it is a failure as well, but like you said the dude has to do something to consistently throw strikes or he is pretty useless in the long run.  

2 hours ago, Scraps said:

Was this before or after operation shutdown?

10 hours ago, utxmike05 said:

Dont worry. Every 10 games he hits a HR or rbi double. Then gives that “aww shucks” goober look and Stros keep him around.

complaining about tucker, reddick, etc is what happens when springer/altuve/bregman aren't hitting, and yordan is injured.  i hardly notice those other guys when our lineup is strong 1-7.

it should be spring-tuve-bregs-uncle mike-yuli-correa-yordan + c + reddick/tucker.

and i'm not even scoreboard watching.  just get us in the playoffs.

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, UTPhil2006 said:

20 games for Cintron

5 for Laureano

It's only 5 because he didn't get there.

Wouldn't surprise me if you are correct.

evidently, there are some butthurt opposing players who are mad that baby Joe took such a hit and the Astros are getting over-protected.  Fucked up 2020 world ain't gonna leave baseball alone either.

Edited by slorch

27 minutes ago, slorch said:

It's only 5 because he didn't get there.

Wouldn't surprise me if you are correct.

evidently, there are some butthurt opposing players who are mad that baby Joe took such a hit and the Astros are getting over-protected.  Fucked up 2020 world ain't gonna leave baseball alone either.

As if anyone in the Astros bullpen could intentionally hit a batter if they wanted to.  Laureano is lucky it was Castellanos and not James.  James will get it up around 100 with zero control whatsoever.

Trying to be a neutral observer here:

20 games for yelling from the dugout

8 games for throwing at, but not hitting, a batter

6 games for charging a dugout

The MLB says it wants to deter physical confrontation, and the first two suspensions coincide with that.  They seem like they are trying to send a message, and I get it.  But the Laureano one is completely disproportionate and seems like an admission that the league was scared of receiving similar backlash to the Kelly suspension.  

24 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Trying to be a neutral observer here:

20 games for yelling from the dugout

8 games for throwing at, but not hitting, a batter

6 games for charging a dugout

The MLB says it wants to deter physical confrontation, and the first two suspensions coincide with that.  They seem like they are trying to send a message, and I get it.  But the Laureano one is completely disproportionate and seems like an admission that the league was scared of receiving similar backlash to the Kelly suspension.  

no way

15 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

Have you guys seen our offense?
having Cintron away from the team for 3 weeks can only help 

yeah I don't give af about Cintron but I care about the disproportionate punishment meted out by MLB to satisfy dumbass fans like the ones on r/baseball who won't shut the fuck up about "cheating" every player knows was routinely happening across MLB in 2017 and 2018.

1 hour ago, mbtex said:

Should have never admitted to Shit. Crane should go scorched earth and release all the information on the other teams that cheated.

Fuck Manfred and Bud Selig!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm tempted to move into this camp.  Manfred's passive/aggressive crap doesn't seem to end.  

For example, it was stupid not to just do 5 home/5 away for the 10 games against division opponents, but if you had split it at 2 series in one park and 1 in the other, how the hell can they justify doing 3 & 4 in Oakland and 3 in Houston instead of 3 & 3 Oak & 4 Houston?  And maybe I'm biased, but it sure seems like we are getting squeezed by umps on the strike zone (even discounting the human element's margin of error.)   Being screwed by NY on replay is nothing new, but one against the Dodgers(?) was pretty egregious.  

(Counterpoint:  Manfred could have hit us harder after the Joe Kelly incident, but I think that was more about sending a message to the rest of the league to cool it, because he wants to move on and bury the sign stealing scandals before more leaks out about the Yankees, Red Sox, maybe Dodgers, and other teams like the Cubs & Rangers.)

Edited by clapclapclap
  • Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, Scraps said:

His downfall was when he made the "come get some" hand motion. If he just chirped and Laureano charged it would've been like a 3 game suspension....if that.

This is true but the scope of Laureano's response isn't given accurate perspective imo. I watched the whole thing again on MLBTV from the A's telecast and you can see the distance he has to cover to get to the duguout and his raised fist when he gets there. He should have been suspended ten games at least. 

38 minutes ago, Gourmand said:
There was a time long ago when I greatly respected her. She's just a Astros hater at this point and she can fuck right off.

Back off the scrunchie.  I have no problem with her hating Taubman and Cintron.

11 minutes ago, WBT said:

Back off the scrunchie.  I have no problem with her hating Taubman and Cintron.

Oh, and she is responsible for probably my favorite Astros related picture ever:

2itn1d1503zmti1z.jpg?kj8as6ye

Edited by WBT
  • Like 1

Unbelievable numbers. Unfortunately, optimism has to be tempered by the the quality of pitching he’s facing. If those guys In Corpus can’t make it on this mediocre Astros staff then they’re probably not very good. Even with that caveat, we sure could use him  

Edited by TonyTexas

I'm still pissed about the suspension disparity. 

I think it's asinine to make an example of a coach talking shit over the player who acts on it to the tune of charging at a team's dugout and said coach. I understand the argument that a coach should set examples and lead accordingly, but Ramon Laureano isn't a child either. These are both grown ass men in a competitive sport. He knows (or should know) right from wrong the same as Cintron, but in no way is Cintron's offense four times worse than Laureano. That's just idiotic. 

If Laureano simply shut the fuck up and stood on first base and stopped gesturing at Castellanos, nothing said or done by Cintron ever gets noticed and the story ends there. Would Cintron have received any punishment from MLB for what he said and did? Not a chance. But because Laureano is a hothead who thinks talk (allegedly) about mothers is a greenlight for throwing hands, now all of a sudden Cintron's words are worth a 20 game suspension? 

Fuck MLB and fuck Rob Manfred.

The coach should be beyond egging on opposing players.

Sorry, Woody Hayes out front shoulda told ya.

That being said, Laureano had every intention of throwing hands, had he not been perfectly squashed by Garneau.  He was being a complete bitchass motherfucker, with the throwing technique condescension all the way from home to first.

Hell if being a bitchass punk were a violation, Brett Gardner never would have gotten on the field.