2020 Astros Season Thread

Jshep34

1 hour ago, kevwun said:

The playoffs aren't even guaranteed to take place.  It's crazy to trade away anyone who has a shot at helping you down the road.

I haven't watched Cole pitch this year.  What's his problem?  Is it his control?  If he can throw 99 at the top and the bottom of the zone consistently then he's pretty much unhittable.  Surely the Yankees weren't stupid enough to mess with that.

The playoffs are going to happen...especially if they do this bubble plan 

1 hour ago, kevwun said:

The playoffs aren't even guaranteed to take place.  It's crazy to trade away anyone who has a shot at helping you down the road.

I haven't watched Cole pitch this year.  What's his problem?  Is it his control?  If he can throw 99 at the top and the bottom of the zone consistently then he's pretty much unhittable.  Surely the Yankees weren't stupid enough to mess with that.

A 3.51 ERA is a “problem”? He was 3.95 with us last year at the same point 

the 10 HRA is definitely scary... looks like he learned a few things from JV.

1 hour ago, Mo Horn said:

Both fair points, but he's in the final year of his contract and I'd be shocked if they re-sign him.  I'd rather get something in return. We have others who can fill in if needed.

Aledmys, Stubbs or Straw?

meh

I cant imagine the prospect he’d bring in return would be worth having one of those guys as your 4th outfielder for half the season plus postseason.

2 hours ago, Mo Horn said:

Both fair points, but he's in the final year of his contract and I'd be shocked if they re-sign him.  I'd rather get something in return. We have others who can fill in if needed.

which is why you won't get anything for him

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Mo Horn said:

Today would be a good day up trade Reddick, now that Tucker seems to have turned the corner. Josh is having a decent year, so value probably won't be higher. I'd do it even if we got 2 or 3 good prospects. No one else I'd move right now. 

So you trade Reddick. Tucker plays right. Who do have DHing? Bad idea 👖 

I think there's something still out there.  Chandler Rome has yet to say a word about the Astros, but he did just retweet the random news that Ross Stripling got traded to the Jays.  I could be completely misinterpreting it, but it seems like a "chill out, stuff is still being revealed" move by him.

Edited by Chuckie Finster

1 hour ago, Seasick Sailor said:

That thought had occurred to me.  We have all 10 left vs the Rangers, although that would have been better if they traded Lynn.  The other 7 are 2 vs the Dodgers and the upcoming 5 game series at Oakland.  

Meanwhile Oakland's schedule doesn't look too tough either but at least they have 3 vs San Diego and 3 vs the Dodgers.  It's going to be annoying if the division winning streak is snapped by 1 or 2 games when we play 8 of 10 head to head in Oakland.

Edited by WBT

11 minutes ago, Scraps said:

Yes.  They were waiting on tests back from Sunday because of the A's guy being positive 

Ah, ok.  They talk about the opposing team everytime there's a positive but there has yet to be any team to team spread though, right?  All Laureanos to the contrary, that seems unlikely to happen.

2 minutes ago, WBT said:

Ah, ok.  They talk about the opposing team everytime there's a positive but there has yet to be any team to team spread though, right?  All Laureanos to the contrary, that seems unlikely to happen.

IDK But there have been games canceled because a previous opponent tested positive. 

21 hours ago, UTexasFight said:

A 3.51 ERA is a “problem”? He was 3.95 with us last year at the same point 

the 10 HRA is definitely scary... looks like he learned a few things from JV.

He's been somewhat worse this season -  .306 xwOBA versus around .270 xwOBA last year after the same number of starts.  He seems to have lowered his release point somewhat this year and his fastball is not nearly as dominant as it was last year.  

Still, I don't know why Astros fans are cheering on his struggles.  It just looks like butthurt about him signing elsewhere.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 2

I don't get why he messed with anything.  He's not really capable of improving on what he was doing last season.  If he hadn't off started the year struggling, it would have been one of the all-time great seasons for a starting pitcher.

Edited by kevwun

His release point last year was the highest of his career.  I imagine he realizes a higher release point --> higher effective spin on his fastball --> higher SwStr%.  He lowered it because, for whatever reason (could be a lingering injury or something else), he's physically uncomfortable throwing at that elevated release point.  Could also be because of some mechanical issue he can't find the zone with that release point.  

I note he also did a better job of clustering his FB/SL/CU release points last year, so maybe it's a mechanical issue.

Edited by Fozzz
  • Fuck You 2

8 minutes ago, The Dog said:

We're cheering Cole's struggles because he plays for the New York Yankees. It's nothing personal.

So if WS MVP George Springer signs with the Yankees next season after not receiving a competitive offer from the Astros, you would root for him to suck?  That's pretty stupid.  I would hope most fans would wish him success in any games not played against the Astros.

• Fuck You 2

man Cole ain't homegrown.  Fuck that dude.  I don't have any loyalty to him.  

Springer (and others who came up through the system) would be tough not to root for, but I give zero fucks about Cole.  I want him to fail miserably because I want the Yankees to fail miserably.  

• Hook 'Em 2

47 minutes ago, Fozzz said:

So if WS MVP George Springer signs with the Yankees next season after not receiving a competitive offer from the Astros, you would root for him to suck?  That's pretty stupid.  I would hope most fans would wish him success in any games not played against the Astros.

Your point is invalid since Springer is clearly going to the Red Sox if he doesn't re-sign with Houston.

Let’s talk September baseball..

was posted earlier but 20 of the remaining 27 on the schedule are against Rangers, Angels, Mariners, D-Backs who are a lot thinner than they were before the trade deadline.
Other 7 are 5 vs Oakland, 2 vs Dodgers

I’ll take our AAAA team with a few MLB all stars mixed in to clean up on those ottoman of the barrel teams.

20-7 sounds about right.

would mean an “on pace” record of 105-57. Right at our 104-58 average the last three years.