2020 Astros Season Thread

Jshep34

The offense and bullpen have been frustrating, and JV's situation sucks, but on the bright side the Astros have in the past year identified some players that can help keep the window open through 2024 in Valdez, Javier, Urquidy, Paredes, Scrubb, and Taylor.  With these guys in the fold the Astros will have more flexibility in addressing the OF and potentially adding a top-line SP.  Astros should only have around $150M committed for next season and maybe less than that if insurance is able to eat some of Verlander's salary.  That's quite a bit of flexibility for an owner who has shown willingness to get into the luxury tax to support a competitive team.  

All I know is I wish JV had shut it down a couple of weeks after the “strain” when Dusty reported he wasn’t progressing as hoped.

Sure hindsight 20/20 and at his age, I get wanting to avoid losing 12-15 months, but going under the knife in mid-August, he had an outside chance to be back in form by the postseason next year. 
now he’s fucked himself (and the Astros) for all of next year.

and with a strike looming after next season, who knows when he’ll actually pitch again....but he turns 39 in Feb 2022 so it’ll be sometime after that.

just a disaster of a “season” on so many levels

5 hours ago, UTexasFight said:

All I know is I wish JV had shut it down a couple of weeks after the “strain” when Dusty reported he wasn’t progressing as hoped.

Sure hindsight 20/20 and at his age, I get wanting to avoid losing 12-15 months, but going under the knife in mid-August, he had an outside chance to be back in form by the postseason next year. 
now he’s fucked himself (and the Astros) for all of next year.

and with a strike looming after next season, who knows when he’ll actually pitch again....but he turns 39 in Feb 2022 so it’ll be sometime after that.

just a disaster of a “season” on so many levels

I don't think JV is ever coming back.  Astros surely shouldn't rely on it.  He has earned his Astro for life rainbow jersey though. Hope he wears our hat in the hall. 

Need to sign a pitcher from elsewhere for next year.  But as bad as this year's pitching has been, its the shitty bats that have us where we are.  We could have Cy Young, Nolan Ryan, peak JV, and roid Clemens pitching and still be treading water. 

54 minutes ago, HillaryFan420 said:

Thank God Tucker has emerged as a plus hitter or we would be really fucked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pleasantly surprised but yep.

9 minutes ago, Pimphand said:

I've said it before and I'll say it again.  Altuve has to be having the worst season ever 3 years removed from an MVP season that wasn't saddled with injury.

He needs to reset to his original game. He can put a bat on any ball. He needs to try to be more Ichiro and less Cecil Fielder. Altuve could hit 400 if he just tried to put the ball in play.

31 minutes ago, Pimphand said:

I've said it before and I'll say it again.  Altuve has to be having the worst season ever 3 years removed from an MVP season that wasn't saddled with injury.

I don’t have any names off the top of my head, but there is no way this is even close to accurate

that said, let’s just hope he doesn’t have a season 4 years removed like Kris Bryant is having this year 

• Hook 'Em 1

So the word "Frambering" has an entirely different meaning now than it did last season. Geez,, these throws are just filthy af.

Valdez and Tucker have been the two best things about 2020.

In an awfully crowded competition for worst thing about Astros baseball in 2020, I gotta vote for Tuve. The one guy who didn't cheat suddenly batting .210.

• Hook 'Em 1

Kalas had to go and ruin an otherwise perfectly good evening by reminding me we screwed ourselves out of back to back ROYs by playing Tucker in that last game in Anaheim last year 

I think Lewis would still be ROY. Keep in mind though that Tucker is two years younger than Lewis.

7 hours ago, UTexasFight said:

I don’t have any names off the top of my head, but there is no way this is even close to accurate

that said, let’s just hope he doesn’t have a season 4 years removed like Kris Bryant is having this year 

At least Kris Bryant isn't getting paid $29,000,000 this year to produce a -0.7 WAR.  At least Josh Reddick is giving us the -0.7 WAR at $13,000,000

Edited by Pimphand
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, HillaryFan420 said:

I think Lewis would still be ROY. Keep in mind though that Tucker is two years younger than Lewis.

It would be tight. And a good debate. And couldn’t go wrong with either guy. 
dat 6 triples tho!

but yeah, Lewis would probably take it on the strength of his defense. I have no idea if he’s actually better defensively, but he definitely has more highlights/web gems