2020 Astros Season Thread

Jshep34

Hampton was first person there. Then scott elarton(6'7" tall) knocked out a grounds employee thinking he was another fan. Biggio tried to pull a nhl move on the guy pulling jacket over his head. Late 90s Astros had some fight in them, go ask the Expos

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Jshep34 said:

Hampton was first person there. Then scott elarton(6'7" tall) knocked out a grounds employee thinking he was another fan. Biggio tried to pull a nhl move on the guy pulling jacket over his head. Late 90s Astros had some fight in them, go ask the Expos

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

And the reds. (Well, mid-90s astros)

• Like 1

Any ideas on game times? Specifically Tuesday?

going to be a little strange with non-local teams playing in Pacific and Central time zones. (e.g Yankees and Rays playing in San Diego)

assuming Yankees/Rays will be ~6pm Central. Dodgers/Cards ~8pm

guessing Braves vs Marlins/Cubs will be 12 or 1pm Central and Astros/A’s will be 2 or 3pm Central

I guess one good thing about playing on the West coast is that we should be insulated from starting any earlier than 2pm Central (or 12pm LA...cant fathom they’d start a playoff game in the morning, local time).

I felt bad for the Twin he tossed.  The strike 2 call against him was both high and outside.  It was terrible and he should have been allowed to call him every cuss word he could think of.

I’m catching up but yeah that was bullshit. And the strikeout call with no appeal. He sucked for everything

Successful surgery for JV.

12-14 month estimated recovery.

said it before, and hindsight 20/20, but wish he had just called it after not responding well in mid-August a couple of weeks after the initial “discomfort”.

that would have put him on track to potentially contribute in some fashion to the postseason next year.

now we’ll never see him an Astros jersey again.

(and with a strike looming after 2021, who knows when he’ll pitch again)

I would  start Framber game 1 so that he would pretty easily be available to pitch in game 5 if needed.  Then I would probably start LMJ game 2 because he is going to have to start one of the 5 games(assumption of it going 5) and has already will be on like 10 days rest.  Just get him out of the way early.  Greinke game 3, Urquidy game 4, and then I guess I would start Javier (depending on how much we have had to use him the previous games) game 5 with Framber being the quick hook reliever.   Of course  planning out the whole 5 games is near impossible.  

But there are so many combinations and metrics that I am not really factoring in.

The only definite I would do is start Framber game 1 so that he could pitch again in the series with some rest...and he gives us the best shot to go up 1-0 anyway

Edited by Scraps

5 minutes ago, slorch said:

Only one shot of Greinke doesn’t compute. 

The problem is the schedule.  Games Mon-Fri.  No off days.  I would much rather see Framber twice....hell I would probably even start him in game 5 over Javier on short rest....than Greinke twice.  Greinke can always pitch game 2 and still be available for game 5 also....I just don't really see a benefit of Greinke coming out of the pen though.

Edited by Scraps

1 hour ago, kevwun said:

I would use LMJ in long relief in game 1 or 2.  He's been shaky this year and I think they have better options.

This makes sense and I like LMJ

Framber/Lance tandem if the Astros have the lead

Uriquidy/Lance tandem if not used

in game 1

greinke

Javier

lance/all hands on deck  

but really, we are just going to stick it up their ass and win in 3  

3 hours ago, HillaryFan420 said:

Fangraphs have the series 56/44 in favor of the Astros.  Will be really interesting to see how the Astros approach this series with respect to their pen.  They could throw everything they have at games 1-3 and then bullpen game 4 if needed.

Is this accurate? That doesn't compute imo. What am I missing?

1 hour ago, ChickenSandwich said:

not seeing anyway Dusty doesn't start Greinke in game one.  Not saying it is right or I agree, I just don't see Dusty thinking outside the box.

Bringing your best pitcher, a starter, into game 1 in the 5th inning with your team trailing isn’t outside of the box for you?

(p.s. It wouldn’t surprise if Dusty isn’t calling all of these shots)

7 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

Bringing your best pitcher, a starter, into game 1 in the 5th inning with your team trailing isn’t outside of the box for you?

(p.s. It wouldn’t surprise if Dusty isn’t calling all of these shots)

we won 2017 doing the tandem starter routine, feels like more of an Astro thing than a Dusty thing.  Could be wrong

On 9/30/2020 at 5:46 PM, slorch said:

It would OK to double his lifetime number this postseason...

Well he came in with 3 so if he were to double it this year we'd lose the World Series again.  However losing the World Series would at least mean the Yankees got kept out and yes I'm all on board with that.  Losing to the Dodgers would suck ass though.

Edited by Pimphand