2020 Astros Season Thread

Jshep34

The sports optimist in me sees this as an opportunity for the Texans to win the Super Bowl because the last time the Houston sports gods sacrificed a star was Deshaun Watson getting hurt in a mid week practice in Oct 2017. 

Ah who am I kidding?

This. Fucking. Sucks. 

• Hook 'Em 1

34 minutes ago, runthebone said:

Well, he's probably fucked for 2021 also.  Hope the window isn't closed.

It was closed when we couldn’t win the World Series last year with one of the all time offenses and all time pitching staffs in the history of the game. Just the way it goes sometimes 

http://twitter.com/i/events/1287503991513874432?s=21

Astros ace Justin Verlander 'shut down' for a few weeks with a forearm injury

Astros beat writer Chandler Rome initially reported that the reigning American League Cy Young winner Justin Verlander would be out for the rest of the season with an elbow injury. However, after Sunday's game, manager Dusty Baker said Verlander is dealing with a forearm strain and will "shut down" for a couple of weeks

2 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

You have to wonder if a 37 year old really wants to put up with that.

That also plays in this.  JV gets a say and a lot of guys would rather give rest a shot before committing to a year to a year and a half of rehab or the end of their career.

35 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Devo earned today's L

Chuckles played a bigger part.  Pulling Greinke after 58 pitches wasn't very smart either with the state of our bullpen and 4/5 spots in the rotation.

Very few pitchers that have the type of strain that Verlander gets are able to rest it into not needing TJ. I'm sure he's dealing with much better medical data than anyone else, but the odds are against him. I get you don't want surgery, but in most cases rest is only prolonging the inevitable surgery that is coming.

Really going to need at least one and probably 2 of the James/Valdez/Urquidy group of prospects to step up. Also Peacock returning would help. Astros have enough arms to still easily make the playoffs.

Of course, this is the opening that Whitley needs to take complete advantage of, as he did pitch very well in the AZFL after getting shut down during the minor league season.

Edited by HtownHorn

2 hours ago, Scraps said:

Because thats what teams do

2018 Tech baseball lost staff ace Steven Gingery in the first game of the season.  He was considered by many to be the best pitcher in the Big XII.  Tech limped all the way to the 2018 CWS...

To your point, just sayin all hope is not lost.  There's a couple of other decent players on the squad.

I'm gonna be positive and say that this will be good for the young guys to get more meaningful innings, including playoff innings.  Now we'll probably win the next five World Series instead of just the next three.  Nothing is fucked.  Except the Yankees.  Fuck the Yankees.  And the Dodgers.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2