2020 Astros Season Thread

Jshep34

44 minutes ago, WBT said:

I've missed how stupid this thread gets with a 2 game hitting slump.

The problem is this team is still so talented that even doing small things, liking bunting a man over to 3rd when a run wins the game, would allow them to win games when your stars have no idea what they are doing at the plate.

6 hours ago, utxmike05 said:

Not good to come off a hot 4 game series at home...then get 2 more at home just to suck against the assholes you need to shut up the most. Show up. This wasn’t just any mini-series. Early in the season, or not...this mattered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep.  Show a fucking pulse.

Don't waste outstanding pitching when the staff is stretched so thin.  Quit playing so fucking passively at the plate.

headhunting is fucking bullshit - regardless of any situation - if you're gonna hit someone, you throw at their back/ribs. no need to ruin anyone's career or kill someone because you have beef. if you can't hit someone from 60 feet away you shouldn't be the one throwing at the hitter. 

Yet I remember you asking for Astro’s pitching to hit Odor in the face with a pitch. Ironic

The problem is pretty much no one is going to bunt in today's game.   

It has only been done once so far in the extra inning games ( total of either 5 or 6 of them so far) by KC as the visitors to lead off the 10th and it worked because the next guy hit a sac fly.  They managed to hold on 3-2 and win.  In every other game/scenario no team has bunted.   

Edited by Scraps

It has only been done once so far in the extra inning games ( total of either 5 or 6 of them so far) by KC as the visitors to lead off the 10th and it worked because the next guy hit a sac fly.  They managed to hold on 3-2 and win.  In every other game/scenario no team has bunted.   
This.

Also I'm sure that the front office analytics peeps are adamant about not giving up any free outs. I don't think it's on Dusty Baker as much as it's on the organizational edicts.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Steamboat1874 said:

Too bad Augie or Gus were not managing.

Bunt the fucking ball with a runner on 2nd and no outs.

Good to see I'm not the only one not taking crazy pills. I mean ... wtf? I'd have to feel pretty fucking good about my chances to get that guy in from 3rd with 1 out, compared to leaving him at second and having to have a hit. Instead, let's leave him at 2nd and watch our leadoff hitter strike out.

11 minutes ago, Scraps said:

Yeah, so it worked the way it's supposed to work.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

This.

Also I'm sure that the front office analytics peeps are adamant about not giving up any free outs. I don't think it's on Dusty Baker as much as it's on the organizational edicts.

So fucking stupid.

Bunt the guy over and the infield has to play in meaning a hard hit ground ball through or a sacrifice  fly wins the game.

I would bunt every time no matter who was at the plate or on deck.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, utxmike05 said:

Fuck Joe. Wasn’t he on the 2018 Red Sox that beat the dodgers? Puss. Real tough walking away talking shit.

Esp when he knows he won't be going to the plate anytime this year, or maybe ever again. Throwing 96 mph beanballs, knowing the other guys can't retaliate. Real tough guy. He's that dipshit that throws a cheapshot in the club & then runs & hides behind the nearest bouncer. 

• Like 1

I hope this is playing on loop in the clubhouse when Springer walks in and getS his ass on fire

I couldn’t believe this when I saw it last night and even more incredulous this morning

I can get looking for a fastball and getting offspeed but holy shit.
Belt high, cement mixer middle of the zone, 83 mph and he misses contact by seemingly about a foot 

Edited by UTexasFight

13 minutes ago, Amos Moses said:

Bunt or not, but man on 2nd, nobody out, 2, 3, 4 hitters in the order up and you can’t even advance the runner to 3rd ... yeesh.  

This is one of the situations where it still makes sense to bunt.  Get the runner on 3rd and keep them from intentionally walking to setup a double play.  Especially with Uncle Mike due up.  I love him to death, but he is always a threat to gidp because he's slow.

Edited by kevwun

3 minutes ago, kevwun said:

This is one of the situations where it still makes sense to bunt.  Get the runner on 3rd and keep them from intentionally walking to setup a double play.  Especially with Uncle Mike due up.  I love him to death, but he is always a threat to gidp because he's slow.

they would still walk Bregman there if they knew what they were doing.  Putting someone on first means nothing other than a benefit for the defense.  

So fucking stupid.
Bunt the guy over and the infield has to play in meaning a hard hit ground ball through or a sacrifice  fly wins the game.
I agree

2 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Analytics / the numbers frowns on bunting, even with a runner on 2nd and no outs 

I get that - in the middle of a game where you're trying to get as many runs as possible. But in this situation, where ONE run wins the game and you have a man on 2nd with no outs ... it's crazy not to bunt.

32 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Bunting the runner to 3rd doesn't stop them from intentionally walking to set up a dp.  If anything it makes it more likely to happen.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Steamboat1874 said:

So fucking stupid.

Same.

Runner on third, one out.

A lot can happen - balk, wild pitch, passed ball, sac fly, hit. 

The nerds are overthinking fundamental baseball.  

Edit:  well damn, that stupid Google schedule isn't showing Friday's game.

https://www.google.com/search?q=astros+schedule+2020&oq=astros+schedule+2020&aqs=chrome.0.69i59j0l7.7035j1j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#sie=t;/m/03m1n;4;/m/09p14;mt;fp;1;;

Censoring the Hydroxychloroquine Night promo at Angels' Stadium?

Edited by clapclapclap

Those two games were a beating.   I’m not going to get too upset, though.  It’s a big blow to a team when the team’s ace and a third of the bully gets injured.  I’m actually surprised that they pulled it together and won the last game against the M’s.  Take a day off, go get some CA sun, and realize that this team is still in the top 20% of the league talent-wise even with the injuries.  

And one word of advice to Springer: “Don’t think.  It can only hurt the ball club.”

10 minutes ago, Guadaloopy said:

Those two games were a beating.   I’m not going to get too upset, though.  It’s a big blow to a team when the team’s ace and a third of the bully gets injured.  I’m actually surprised that they pulled it together and won the last game against the M’s.  Take a day off, go get some CA sun, and realize that this team is still in the top 20% of the league talent-wise even with the injuries.  

And one word of advice to Springer: “Don’t think.  It can only hurt the ball club.”

That's 9 words. 

Just sayin' ...

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Scraps said:

Also the staff was not the problem with these 2 games. Our 1-3 all stars need to pull their heads out.....and Yordan needs to join the team.

I should have been clearer.  My point wasn’t about the actual impact on the pitching staff, but the morale impact to the team as a whole.  

Yes... Yordan needs to return ASAP.  And bring Urquidy.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Scraps said:

That's because the analytics say to never bunt.

7 minutes ago, Js1 said:

The analytics watching the 10th and 11th last night

Best Blow Up Computer GIFs | Gfycat

To be fair, an AI would have correctly assumed that Correa was safe at 2nd in the 11th, and would have calculated what to do with a bases loaded 1 out situation.  Perhaps that is why the AI told Springer to strike out rather than to risk hitting into a double play.

7 hours ago, utxmike05 said:

Fuck Joe. Wasn’t he on the 2018 Red Sox that beat the dodgers? Puss. Real tough walking away talking shit.

Yes, he was. He doesn't want to apologize to Astros batters who cheated, but why doesn't he hit himself for cheating in 2018?