GLORIA

Uncle Boobs

10 hours ago, Foggy Notion said:

On July 23-24, 1999, exactly 21 years ago tonight, Liberty Lunch shut down with Gloria-thon.

24 hours straight of G-L-O-R-I-A.

https://www.texasmonthly.com/the-culture/g-l-o-r-i-a/amp/

Mike is such a good writer.  I had the pleasure of engineering a couple of his records -- dude is smart as a whip.

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

Mike is such a good writer.  I had the pleasure of engineering a couple of his records -- dude is smart as a whip.

He produces some great articles on criminal justice. Some of the best stuff Texas Monthly has published over the past several years. He spoke at my church a few years ago for a talk on the death penalty. Seemed like a really great guy and was humbled when I told him he’s my favorite Texas Monthly writer.

46 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

Thread better than expected would read again.

Them was so fucking great. So was really early U2.

I loved U2 so hard back in the mid-80s.  And then utterly quit giving a shit.

That's rare.

Same thing happened with REM.

So maybe not so rare.

• Hook 'Em 5

On 7/24/2020 at 6:44 AM, South Austin said:

Am I the only one that looks at the screen shot of Bono and thinks, "I'm Doug...and I'm outta here." ?

• 2 years later...

"Gloria" was written by Van Morrison, recorded by his band, Them, and released in the US in April 1966. However, Them's version peaked at number 75 on the national Billboard Hot 100 chart while the version of "Gloria" by the Shadows of Knight peaked at number 10. So, how does a recording by the Shadows of Knight, a garage band from Chicago, score a top 10 hit with the song overshadowing the version by Van Morrison? Many US radio stations refused to play "Gloria" by Them because of Morrison's line "She comes to my room, then she made me feel alright"....lyrics which were viewed as risque in the mid 60's. So, the Shadows of Knight replaced that line with "She called out my name, that made me feel alright" and, voila, you have a tamer version of the original suitable for airplay on any radio station. BTW, success with "Gloria" was it for the Shadows of Knight as none of their other releases came close to approaching this initial commercial success. After all, they were a garage band from Chicago just having fun. Check out their lead vocalist using a fire extinguisher for a microphone in the video

• Like 1