Black Mirror

DDD Dad

Wowee

“Striking Vipers” is gonna make some gamer bros uncomfortable.

I thought it was excellent.

I only got to watch that one while at lunch - going to watch the other two after work.

Really looking forward to the Miley Cyrus one.

(Put that on the list of sentences I never thought I’d type.)

54 minutes ago, HOOK'EMHOOAH said:

I enjoyed bandersnatch. Interactive storytelling is way more enjoyable than getting a single, straight forward narrative.

Don’t get me wrong I loved the books and video games like that but for that movie it didn’t do it for me.  Prolly cause I thought the movie was shit compared to the episodes before.  Different strokes for different folks.  

I’ve only seen 5-6 episodes of Black Mirror and while I love the idea of the show, the plots mess with my head too much.  National Anthem and Entire History of You stuck with me for months, and not in a good way.  I did however enjoy USS Calister and I LOVED San Junipero.  

Any “light” episodes in S5?

44 minutes ago, Chet Steadman said:

I’ve only seen 5-6 episodes of Black Mirror and while I love the idea of the show, the plots mess with my head too much.  National Anthem and Entire History of You stuck with me for months, and not in a good way.  I did however enjoy USS Calister and I LOVED San Junipero.  

I don't think any of the episodes in season 5 are as heavy as they've been before. I do highly recommend Hang the DJ if you want something that is a little lighter. As for season 5, I would say Rachel, Jack, and Ashley too would be your best bet.

• Like 1

On 6/6/2019 at 9:57 AM, PokerFace said:

Maybe they can re-choose

?imw=637&imh=358&ima=fit&impolicy=Letter

That "movie" was horrible.  Striking Vipers was pretty funny - like they took "as long as the balls don't touch it's not gay" meme and put the Black Mirror spin on it - is it gay to fuck your male friend in a life-like VR game where your male friend plays a woman character?  Apparently not.

Edited by Fozzz

It was enjoyable but it wasn't really edgy. I think Striking Vipers was the best because it was an interesting look at how VR could easily top the real thing. Smithereen seemed like something anyone could've created. The only real Black Mirror elements were Smithereen being able to reverse his phone and the depths of information they had before the police. Miley Cyrus' one felt more like a Black Mirror episode with the AI doll and pushing of awful technology to replace the real thing. I'd put them all below previous seasons. 

Finally watched this weekend. I think the last one was my favorite, it was certainly the most fun. And I loved the NIN tie ins and actually liked the cover at the end.

Didn’t care too much for Striking Vipers but I thought Smithereens was decent. Question about that one and maybe a spoiler: what was the point of giving the MIL his email login?

It wasn't his login. It was the login of daughter of the lady from the support group that he slept with. She was trying to go into her daughter's Persona profile to help figure out why her daughter killed herself. 

Wow I really wasn’t paying attention. I missed all of that completely.

Watched the VR and the Miley ones thus far.  Didn't like either.  I thought both episodes had a decent premise; however, the writing/plot were not good.  The final 3rd of the Cyrus episode was just incredibly stupid.  Hoping for better things from 5:2.

On 6/6/2019 at 6:41 AM, Chet Steadman said:

Yes, several of the episodes are highly disturbing. Fifteen million merits, the entire history of you, white bear, shut up and dance, those were the most disturbing for me.

58 minutes ago, Tom said:

I must be the only one who really enjoyed Smithereens.  Probably my favorite of the three.

I liked the point it made with Google/Facebook hanging up the phone on the FBI because the police (even at the federal level) were far less informed than the technocrats.   Not sure about giving the founder of social media a free pass as some kind of zen-loving victim, but it made for a good character in a fictional story.  

Apparently the ending was supposed to say that this guy's death-drama was just another pop-up notification that no one cared about as soon as it ended.  Personally, not a huge fan of 'we'll never know what happened' endings.

First sniper refusing to move over 15 feet, so both heads weren't lined up was a dumb-artificial way to build tension, but there were enough thought-provoking details to make it worth watching.

I liked the point it made with Google/Facebook hanging up the phone on the FBI because the police (even at the federal level) were far less informed than the technocrats.   Not sure about giving the founder of social media a free pass as some kind of zen-loving victim, but it made for a good character in a fictional story.  
Apparently the ending was supposed to say that this guy's death-drama was just another pop-up notification that no one cared about as soon as it ended.  Personally, not a huge fan of 'we'll never know what happened' endings.
First sniper refusing to move over 15 feet, so both heads weren't lined up was a dumb-artificial way to build tension, but there were enough thought-provoking details to make it worth watching.

I don't think the episode gave Topher Grace a pass. After the Uber driver told him his story, the CEO started pouring his heart out about how the company has turned into a monster he can't control. Uber driver said something like "I don't care about your story", which was a really subtle, easily missed point. Basically saying that the CEO and their real life counterparts aren't absolved of their roles in the societal issues that social media and technology bring. You could have stopped it at several points along the way, you don't get credit for realizing it was bad when it was too late and you were owned by the board and shareholders. You let it get to that point out of greed, etc.

Haven't watched 3 yet, but 1 and 2 were really good. Maybe not peak Black Mirror, but tier 2, better than almost anything else on TV level.

Re: episode 1... totally gay, also totally cheating. Fight me.

This was the first season I didn't care for. Each of the episodes might have been better if they were only 30 minutes or so.  

5:1 - homo/hetero VR bro affair was an unexpected premise, but not enough to carry the episode for me.  Kinda odd and not really my thing - had a San Junipero feel (same director) and that wasn't really my thing either.  To each his own.  Still, sadly, I think this was the best episode of the season.  

5:2 - meh.  The satire of google/facebook being way ahead of the cops was humorous, but again, not enough to carry an hour+ episode.  

5:3 holy shit that was terrible.  The last act was some like some terrible disney/Nickelodeon movie with the rescue mission.  Just dreadful.  Miley isn't that bad of an actress though.  

• 8 months later...

It took the Wuhan virus to get me to eventually watch Bandersnatch. It was engaging because I had to pay attention but not really that interesting.

I still haven't gotten to the endings where he dismembers dad, kills Kitty, or the grown up Pearl ending.

• 3 years later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...