Black Mirror

DDD Dad

Since we lost the last thread back in that other place I thought I'd add one here.

Am now through the first episode of season four (watched Black Museum before starting on S1E1).

Hated in the Nation was superb.  Entire History of You was great as well.  The one with the social voting was good too.  

Any word on if further seasons are planned?

I don't know about future seasons, but I really like this show. CAme to it late, so was able to binge S1-3. Working my way through 4 now.

LOVED Hated in the Nation, USS Callister, San Junipero, Men Against Fire, White Christmas.

Wasn't fond of Crocodile, Arkangel, or the pilot, but I'll take their hit rate for sure.

I also came into it late and binged the first 3 seasons, then watched S4 once it was available. It's one of my favorite active shows.

My favorite episodes were The Entire History of You, Nosedive, White Christmas, Be Right Back, Hang the DJ, San Junipero, and Metalhead.

Didn't really care for Crocodile, National Anthem, Waldo, or 15 Million Merits.

I'm also probably an outlier on USS Callister. Most people seemed to love it, but I was just lukewarm on that episode. I have no background interest in Star Trek, nor did I really feel sympathy for the digital recreations of the people involved, so it left me feeling indifferent.

My favorites were Fifteen Million Merits, Shut Up and Dance, and Hated in the Nation.

The first two series and the special were all fantastic.  I didn't really care for National Anthem at the beginning, but it seems pretty relevant.

The third series was still really good, but Playtest and Men Against Fire just seemed a little meh.

The fourth series I really only liked the USS Callister and Black Museum.  Hang the DJ was ok too and at least it didn't leave you in a full downward spiral.

• 8 months later...

Is this the official thread for the greatness of Black Mirror?  Sorry if I missed a bigger/better one.

Anyway, rumors on the intertrons suggest a new movie will drop soon and it sounds . . . interesting.  

Last week Netflix users spotted the title card for 'Bandersnatch', revealing it was a full-length movie and not a standard episode of the season as expected. Black Mirror: Bandersnatch is reportedly a choose-your-own adventure film which will allow viewers to interactively dictate events using their remote control.

Now, a new leak appears to have confirmed the plot and cast of the film, due to be released on 28 December. It will not be connected to season 5, which is expected in early 2019.

linky dinky

• Like 4

On 12/24/2018 at 7:00 PM, Buzzrock said:

The Christmas Special should be mandatory holiday viewing. It’s better than many movies I’ve seen.

Watched it again today.  Solid.  Osha from GOT is a hottie when not dressed as a wildling.  

One arguable plothole: with the Z-eye technology, seems like they'd have the ability to just tap into what you saw, obviating the need for a confession.  

3 hours ago, bschoolprof said:

Watched it again today.  Solid.  Osha from GOT is a hottie when not dressed as a wildling.  

One arguable plothole: with the Z-eye technology, seems like they'd have the ability to just tap into what you saw, obviating the need for a confession.  

Re-Watched it tonight too and thought same thing on plot hole, especially considering how that seemed like 'similar tech' to the entire history of you episode. Also didn't understand the part where the radio keeps groundhog day'ing every time after he smashes it

8 hours ago, bluto said:

Re-Watched it tonight too and thought same thing on plot hole, especially considering how that seemed like 'similar tech' to the entire history of you episode. Also didn't understand the part where the radio keeps groundhog day'ing every time after he smashes it

I think that's because the detective set that song (the one from the murder) to play in "the cookie" for a thousand years.  No matter what the cuckhold did, he couldn't get that song to stop, just like Rob Stark's wife had no control over her existence in the cookie when Jon Hamm was breaking her in.  

(I think) I've watched most every option.  I went straight through and then flipped around.  There are several different endings.  There are also seemingly very few choices that just loop back into a main plot.  Even the first pick - cereal choice - gets a different path later on in the plot.

I'll spoil the rest.

Spoiler

When watching it again from the start, it's actually quite amazing how all the different scenarios play off each other and how much more you catch.  For example, Collin jumps off the building (if that's your choice).  When re-watching, I noticed that the video game he's working on at the beginning is called, "Nosedive" and revolves around someone "diving" from a building.  

There are also points in which you actually have more than one choice.  About halfway through my first viewing, I was given the choice of "Netflix" or a "choice" symbol (upside down goal posts).  I chose goal posts which got me to an ending.  Went back later and picked Netflix which had a pretty cool little twist.  The third time I watched, I was given a choice of "PACS" which went in an entirely different direction. 

Point being, there's quite a bit to this movie.

went through it last night.  i dead ended a lot.  used all of toy, pax and, pac.  i need to get back to the toy option on the safe and when the mom asks to go, go with her after seeing the tree showing that it was all a stage set up when she leaves for the train.  only two credits rolling endings i got to were either going the netflix controlling  you route or killing the dad route.  i started with frosted flakes and thompson twins. 

noticed the saint juniper medical facility, the nosedive game, the metalhead game. 

get much greater enjoyment from regular episodes obviously.

3 hours ago, Dark Horse said:

I really enjoyed it. The story was average, but I appreciated the self awareness of it.

There’s a flow chart on reddit if you want to get to all of the endings. 

hmm, after looking at that...

it would seem that the pac delusion of his mom being staged was bullshit and that he would really die if you chose to go with the mom.  nevermind.

also,

azokihedgj721.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&a

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

My wife and I are watching this now and are really enjoying it. For those looking to start, just slog through the first 2 episodes. It really picks up after that. I wont come out and say to skip them both and start watching from S1E3 since they are all stand alone but if we had to do it all over again my wife and I would skip them. Our honest thought after watching the first two episodes were that maybe we were just too old for these new age inde shows but man do they get good after that. Entire History of You, White Christmas, and Be Right Back are our favorites so far. Waldo is meh. The rest are good to great. Currently on the 4th season.

• 3 months later...
Guest Lobo

Only one I've watched is the one with Ron Howard's daughter trying to get a better social media rating.  

What are the best 2 or 3 episodes to watch over the course of the whole series?  

11 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Only one I've watched is the one with Ron Howard's daughter trying to get a better social media rating.  

This is very subjective, but I really liked:

white Christmas

entire history of you

hang the dj

hated in the nation

metalhead (most people hated this one)

That's the thing.  Opinion varies quite a bit with this series.  I liked, in no particular order...

White Christmas

San Junipero

Men Against Fire

Metalhead

Black Museum - kind of tied into to previous episodes so you might want to watch this one last

15 minutes ago, Lobo said:

And, see... I didn't care for this episode; however, it made me think quite a bit.  So still better than 99% of what's available on TV.

32 minutes ago, Lobo said:

in my opinion, hated in the nation truly stands above all others (then again, i've always had this weird thing for kelly macdonald).  white christmas, entire history of you, be right back, hang the dj, and uss callister are the next tier for me.  men against fire, black museum, nosedive, sj, 15M merits, crocodlie, playtest, dance, waldo are next.  the rest follow with the pilot being my least favorite.