Black Mirror

DDD Dad

Joan is Awful was my favorite, with Loch Henry a close second.

Demon 79 was good but didn’t feel like “Black Mirror”.

Beyond the Sea was too long and the “twist” was too obvious but Aaron Paul acted his ass off.

Mazey Day is possibly the worst “Black Mirror” episode ever.

7 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Looking forward to binging this when I return from vacation.  Would y'all say the new eps are true to the originals?  I didn't particularly like the last season as it seemed more " star power" than true story telling.

and yet the star power was the brilliance of "joan is awful".

• Hook 'Em 2

Joan is awful > beyond the sea > Loch Henry > Demon 79 >>>>>> Mazey Day

On 6/18/2023 at 3:43 PM, Knoxtnhorn said:

Looking forward to binging this when I return from vacation.  Would y'all say the new eps are true to the originals?  I didn't particularly like the last season as it seemed more " star power" than true story telling.

The first two I list are closest in spirit/thematically to the first few seasons.  Overall, this season was much better than last, except for the Mazey Day one.  It was utter shite, perhaps even worse than the Miley one.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Macanudo said:

The point being made was not about Mazey.

Spoiler

I get that... but it was so poorly executed.  The whole episode hinged on a blink and you miss it flashback.  Literally blink and you miss it.  Without it, the whole werewolf thing makes no sense.  You can't blame the audience for not "getting it" when they are distracted by a jarring plot twist that was revealed so poorly.

On 6/19/2023 at 11:30 AM, Red Five said:

I'm through the first two. Sort of spoiler, I guess if we're doing that.

In Joan is Awful, when they're scrolling through Streamberry, one of the shows is Loch Frank.

Yep.  And when the two chicks at the bar open up the laptop to look up "Joan is Awful", one of the shows is called "Finding Ritman", another, "Junipiero Dreaming".  Not really a spoiler, but I'll do so anyway... from inverse.com.

Spoiler

The titles include:

• Loch Henry: Truth Will Out, a reference to the season’s next episode
  • Finding Ritman, a documentary about Will Poulter’s character from Black Mirror: Bandersnatch
  • The Callow Years, about Prime Minister Michael Callow from “The National Anthem”
  • Junipero Dreaming, a reference to “San Junipero”
  • An image featuring Ashley O from “Rachel, Jack, and Ashley Too”
  • A cartoon called Rowdy and Peanut, which references Cat Burglar, a Netflix interactive film by Black Mirror’s Charlie Brooker

I kind of liked Mazey and the plot twist.  Full disclosure I had taken a gummie before viewing but I definitely did not see that coming.

Hated beyond the sea

Spoiler

Pinkman wants to break a guy's jaw for drawing nudes of his wife but he'll just sit down with him after he does something far worse?  And I assume he can radio home base to tell them "hey I'm up here with a psycho, I didn't do it."

Didn’t particularly love this season.

I thought Joan is Awful and Beyond the Sea were both decent and the most like previous Black Mirror seasons. I like the episodes that are based on some element of technology or near-future society gone awry.

The other three episodes each felt like mini horror films. Lock Henry was good in that regard but didn’t feel like a Black Mirror episode. Demon 79 was okay, Mazey Day was awful. I didn’t feel any of them were unique stories.

On 6/22/2023 at 11:19 AM, Not a cat said:

I kind of liked Mazey and the plot twist.  Full disclosure I had taken a gummie before viewing but I definitely did not see that coming.

Hated beyond the sea

Hide contents

Pinkman wants to break a guy's jaw for drawing nudes of his wife but he'll just sit down with him after he does something far worse?  And I assume he can radio home base to tell them "hey I'm up here with a psycho, I didn't do it."

Spoiler

He has no choice but to sit down with him, but that wasn't his choice to just sit down.  Hartnett pushes out the chair with the smug look of knowing AP can't do anything about it because it's a 2 man mission and both will die if one dies.  I really wish they would have cut out some of excess and then carried the story further with the new dynamic.

1 hour ago, TexTexTex said:

I really wish they would have cut out some of excess and then carried the story further with the new dynamic.

Spoiler

Few days later. "Hey man, you seem down. What's up?"

"You brutally murdered my wife and child."

"Still hung up on that, huh."

• Haha 3

Yeah.  I really, really want to like this series - even with flaws.  But this last batch.  I don't know.  I finally got to Demon 79, but fast forwarded because it was just dumb.  (I did like the actor playing the demon, though.)

All in all, I think the disappointing thing to me is that the overall concepts weren't bad, but the writing was really weak.  Just to give one example...Loch Henry.

Spoiler

The death of the girl.  Yes, I get that random things can and do kill people, but it just seemed really random and awkward.  The mom could have caught her.  She could have just escaped.  Whatevs.  I thought I had missed something when the show ended.  I actually thought she'd show up in the final scene, tied up in a basement, with her boyfriend now assuming the role of his parents.  I don't know.  It just seemed off.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/28/2023 at 3:00 PM, Chips O'Toole said:

The new horror/supernatural themes aren't horrible, but they sure as shit aren't as interesting or creative as the distopian tech-centric stuff that made the show so brilliant. It would suck if that's the new direction for future seasons. 

Agree.  I think maybe Booker has run out of steam.  Perhaps he needs some collaboration on the writing/story side.