Arrgh? Eh, Pirates Of The Carabiner.

Mrs Whiggins

Not quite the same as the Saga of Richard and Carol Gottlieb of Georgetown who sued over their neighbor's play structure, but I thought it was worth posting just for the pic of the pirate ship. Article in spoiler.

107813541_3188980217846261_7866325381809

108239781_636211396994110_52477546509951

Toronto family ordered to dismantle backyard pirate ship, but 'no written violation notice has been sent'

John Konstantindis' labour of love took two months to build, but is five feet too close to the fence.

Spoiler

A week after its completion, a Toronto family has received an order from the city to dismantle and its backyard pirate ship a few feet away from the fence to comply with bylaws.

John Konstantindis’ labour of love was a pirate ship in his backyard, an attempt to ensure his two sons have leisure activities during the pandemic. However, it wasn’t long until city officials came knocking on his door. But the family is frustrated because — 10 days after the complaint was lodged by neighbours — they haven’t heard from the city. 

“We have been informed verbally that the structure is too close to the fence, but we haven’t received written notice of violation in two weeks since the complaint was lodged,” Noula Konstantindis, John’s wife, told the Post.

John Konstantindis added that although city officers have visited their property, they have failed to answer their questions about what was cited as the exact reason for the complaint. 

“Nobody came by to tell us what the complaint was; is it too high? is it too close? When you cannot answer my questions, then what are you doing on my property? They haven’t given us any instructions. It’s a playground with a pool and a deck, which I built to keep my sons away from their devices and enjoy time outside,” he said.

The structure took Konstantindis two months to build and includes a deck and a swimming pool. According to city bylaws, the family needed a building permit to erect the pirate ship.

John Konstantindis added that although city officers have visited their property, they have failed to answer their questions about what was cited as the exact reason for the complaint. 

“Nobody came by to tell us what the complaint was; is it too high? is it too close? When you cannot answer my questions, then what are you doing on my property? They haven’t given us any instructions. It’s a playground with a pool and a deck, which I built to keep my sons away from their devices and enjoy time outside,” he said.

The structure took Konstantindis two months to build and includes a deck and a swimming pool. According to city bylaws, the family needed a building permit to erect the pirate ship.

In a statement to CTV News, Konstantindis was advised to relocate the ship and pool by at least five feet, the minimum distance requirement between water and the property line.

The next-door neighbours were quick to respond and clarify that they did not file the complaint. The whole process has distraught the kids, who were looking forward to spending summer on their own pirate ship. Seven-year-old Steven and nine-year-old Michael said that they were heartbroken after hearing the news. In fact, the entire family is in disbelief because they didn’t “expect it to be a problem,” Voula Konstantindis said.

“As a result of all this, my nine-year-old had anxiety and a panic attack and has been to the doctor. He’s old enough to understand but what should I tell my seven-year-old boy when he asks, ‘Shouldn’t the neighbours be grateful that they have a bigger pool than ours?’ ” she added.

Even though the father is certain he can modify the structure, he expressed disappointment.

“Don’t destroy my dreams, don’t destroy my kids’ dreams. I don’t hate the city for it, but this is really beyond everything.”

This isn’t the first time Toronto issued such an order. In 2016, John Alpeza, a Toronto resident, was advised by the committee of adjustment to take down a pirate ship-shaped treehouse that violated city bylaws for height.

Alpeza said he spent two years and $30,000 to create the masterpiece, which included ladders, ropes and a cabin with ropes for his sons. But, after a long fight, he was able to keep the pirate ship.

But Alpeza’s structure came under the treehouse category. Kanstantindis’ family said their structure doesn’t come under any category and they remain uncertain about what is next.

Link: https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/family-advised-to-dismantle-pirate-ship-says-no-written-violation-notice-has-been-sent/wcm/aa9dd3c8-bcf2-4acb-b434-376730aa549e/

• Hook 'Em 1