Fear City : New York vs The Mafia

The Concrete Club segments were pretty interesting. I had never heard Ralph Scopoā€™s name until watching this doc, and I consider myself a bit of a mafia history buff. Ingeniously simple and profitable. But again donā€™t talk in the car.Ā 

I forgot Gerry Lang was one of the Colombo street bosses in the 80s. It was inexcusableĀ to find a bug at your table in a restaurant,Ā and then continue to talk business there.Ā Carmine Perisco has to be the longest tenured boss in mafia history. 46 years, almost all of it from the can.Ā 

Iā€™llĀ give them credit for making a real FiveĀ Families doc that wasnā€™t 95% about John Gotti.Ā 

John Aliteā€™s tough guy/loyal soliderĀ segments wereĀ hilarious. The guy was a government witness against Junior Gotti in Ā a murderĀ trial.

Fat Tony didnā€™t get railroaded, he was the street boss, but he was not the boss of the Genovese Family. The doc could have spent 10 minutes explaining the familyā€™s leadership structure.Ā 

Michael Franzeseā€™s dad John was the real deal.Ā Off and on Colombo underboss for years. He was active in the mob well into his late 90s.Ā