Things not going well for Garmin: Ransomware attack

Parliament

An ongoing global outage at sport and fitness tech giant Garmin  was caused by a ransomware attack, according to two sources with direct knowledge of the incident.

The incident began late Wednesday and continued through the weekend, causing disruption to the company’s online services for millions of users, including Garmin Connect, which syncs user activity and data to the cloud and other devices. The attack also took down flyGarmin, its aviation navigation and route-planning service.

Sounds kinda bad there.

https://techcrunch.com/2020/07/25/garmin-outage-ransomware-sources/

• Like 1

I'm a runner and I have lots of runner friends and it's entertaining reading through FB comments. Some of them have their jimmies completely rustled over not being able to sync to Strava.

Enviado desde mi SM-G973U mediante Tapatalk

2 hours ago, iodeac said:

I'm a runner and I have lots of runner friends and it's entertaining reading through FB comments. Some of them have their jimmies completely rustled over not being able to sync to Strava.

Enviado desde mi SM-G973U mediante Tapatalk

same with my cyclist group haha 

$10MM isn't much to a company like this, especially when you compare the meltdown that will invariably happen to their stonk if they don't get it fixed by market open Monday.   That's assuming the ransomers don't welch on the deal after Garmin pays.  That and, you know, you shouldn't pay kidnappers, just in principal.

I assume they have the FBI involved?  How did Baltimore turn out after their ransomware deal awhile back?

20 hours ago, Parliament said:

$10MM isn't much to a company like this, especially when you compare the meltdown that will invariably happen to their stonk if they don't get it fixed by market open Monday.   That's assuming the ransomers don't welch on the deal after Garmin pays.  That and, you know, you shouldn't pay kidnappers, just in principal.

I assume they have the FBI involved?  How did Baltimore turn out after their ransomware deal awhile back?

Yep, companies quietly paying these off are making the ransoms go up.

On 7/25/2020 at 8:00 PM, Parliament said:

you do understand that #1 FBI cant do shit. They are so in the "cant do shit" section that their standard advise is to PAY THE RANSOME.

#2 the issue isnt the $10M for the ransom.  Its the concern that even if they pay the ransom, and get their stuff back... they would still have to spend days making sure the ransomers didnt install some sort of trojan horse and/or.... a reactivator that kicks in after the customer backs up their information corrupting even more of the network. 

1 minute ago, Bevo&Pevo said:

Sounds like Garmin should hire some of the folks over at Evil Corp to work cyber security.

Do ya think my investment guy can get me a few shares of Evil Corp? Hmmm....

posrep for Mr Robot lmao

And just buy AMZN/MS/AAPL if you want some of that sweet ECorp action ;)

I would be perfectly OK if the military had a group dedicated to tracking these guys down and permanently dealing with the problem

This hits close to home because most of my son's cross country team uses their garmin watches to upload their daily runs to strava so that the coach can monitor them since they can't meet for "official" practices.

Edited by NeverMarryAStripper

10 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

There’s a lot of sailboats using Garmin equipment. It would fucking suck ass to be out in the middle of the ocean and have all your navigation stop working.

Avionics equipment is still working. Filing a flight plan with the app and sync via Bluetooth not so much. 

I'd assume the same holds true for nautical equipment

Avionics equipment is still working. Filing a flight plan with the app and sync via Bluetooth not so much. 
I'd assume the same holds true for nautical equipment

This. Airplanes will still fly and boats will still sail.

Csb alert:

Reminds of me of when I worked in the IT dept of my company back in the 2000s, pre-ransomware. All of a sudden our mail inboxes were getting bombarded with all sorts of shit. Our senior network guy ran out into the hallway and was shouting to everyone don’t open anything. Turns out one of our programmers did indeed click a naughty email link which in turn spread some damage. She had to make the rounds and apologize to everyone when it was cleaned up. After she left the company a couple years later, a few weeks after that federal agents showed up doing a background check on her. Turns out her new job required some sort of government clearance. Not sure she ever got it.

/csb

I'd assume they took their entire network offline to sanitize and then restore from backups (after making offline copies of those) which those two combined likely keeps them offline until end of the week.

These type ransomware are incredibly difficult to prevent these days, just a matter of hoping your backups haven't been tainted too...

• 1 month later...