Lip Balm?

RPM

It's not a quote, but after almost 35 years and 35 viewings...when Martin Short goes to take a drink from his canteen and gets the mouth full of sand, and then his facial expression when he turns towards the other two guys.  It still makes me cry laughing every damn time.  One of those rare films where they got over their skis with so much comedic talent, but the script and physical comedy actually deliver the laughs instead of going down in flames.  

"Dusty, how do you like your bat?" 

Medium Rare. 

10 minutes ago, Lobo said:

One of those rare films where they got over their skis with so much comedic talent, but the script and physical comedy actually deliver the laughs instead of going down in flames.  

It was the first film Lorne Michaels was producer. You could argue this was the first true SNL film. The Blues Brothers was John Landis and Bernie Brillstein.

^
Good point.  Strangely, Steve Martin probably has more appearances on the show than Short and Chase combined (if you include guest cameos separate from hosting).  

Was kinda bummed to see the actress that played Carmen died just in 2018, and was still young (55).  RIP, Patrice Martinez. 

I would argue that the dynamic between El Guapo and Jefe (Arau & Plana, respectively) was just as funny as it was between the SNL compadres who had worked together for over  decade.  And how about the best cameo of the film?...little known fact, the Singing Bush?  None other than Rock 'n Roll Hall of Famer, Randy Newman. 

"Do you have anything besides Mexican food?"  

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

Steve Martin probably has more appearances on the show than Short and Chase combined (if you include guest cameos separate from hosting).  

Short was a cast member for one season. You could say he has a plethora of appearances.

Edited by RPM
  • Like 1

Just now, RPM said:

Short was a cast member for one season.

Right, and Chase was for 1.5 seasons.  Add up their total episode appearance number, and I bet Steve Martin approaches that number just based on guest cameos, plus the 15 times hosting.  Just spitballing.  

The Synchronized Swimming  video sketch with Short and Shearer is maybe the funniest bit I've ever seen on that show.  

Anyway, back to the movie.  I didn't remember that Jon Lovitz is also in "Three Amigos", admittedly in a very small role.  

"Do you know what foreplay is Carmen?" 

Uh, no...

In a way, all of us has an El Guapo to face some day. For some, shyness might be their El Guapo. For others, a lack of education might be their El Guapo. For us, El Guapo is a big, dangerous guy who wants to kill us. But as sure as my name is Lucky Day, the people of Santa Poco can conquer their own personal El Guapo, who also happens to be the actual El Guapo!

• 3 months later...

He said, "That'll be the day," Mr. Flugelman. 

Joe Mantegna doesn't get enough love because he's sharing a scene with Chevy Chase, Steve Martin, Martin Short, Jon Lovitz, and Phil Hartman. What a lineup. But Joe still kills. 

"It'll be a cold day in hell when Harry Flugelman lets an actor tell him what to do!"

See, under my system you would no longer be under the thumb of El Guapo but you would be free to determine your own destiny. You see, under a strong federal system, you would have certain rights, you see, for example, owning property. You could have a beautiful little casa on the mesa. You know, I can see it now, with your little banditos running everywhere, playing in the yard...

My son will be 13 in January. We've been running through classic movies from the 1980's. We've knocked out Airplane, The Naked Gun, Spies Like Us, Aliens, Coming to America, Mr. Mom and so on. We watched Three Amigos a couple months back. He told me after that it didn't "age well." I made him go straight to bed.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, C-Man said:

My son will be 13 in January. We've been running through classic movies from the 1980's. We've knocked out Airplane, The Naked Gun, Spies Like Us, Aliens, Coming to America, Mr. Mom and so on. We watched Three Amigos a couple months back. He told me after that it didn't "age well." I made him go straight to bed.

How the fuck would he know?