Best Beatle post-Beatles

Sbbruin

14 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

This one is on my list.  Glad to see a recommendation here.  

I will say there's a lot of musical terminology that goes over my head and he's really critical at times, but i learned a lot about the band and the 60's and is a very good read. 

• Like 1

Great thread.  I'm team Paul all the way and were it not for Yoko there's no telling how great future Lennon-McCartney songs could have been.  Still, at one point, and maybe they still do, they held the Guinness record for most prolific songwriters ever.  This discussion is in stark contrast to the state of modern music--if you can even call it that.

Edited by HouTex
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, HouTex said:

Great thread.  I'm team Paul all the way and were it not for Yoko there's no telling how great future Lennon-McCartney songs could have been.  Still, at one point, and maybe they still do, they held the Guinness record for most prolific songwriters ever.  This discussion is in stark contrast to the state of modern music--if you can even call it that.

I've often wondered about that. Could they have stayed together or would their talent, and resulting fame break them up ?  Simon, and Garfunkel are still what I consider some of the best song writing duos out there.  Paul being definitely the stronger of the 2.  How many strong talents have been able to stay together ?  

The Stones were never what I considered fantastic songs writers even though I love most of their stuff, they've been able to stay together a long damn time.

39 minutes ago, RDCanecutter said:

Stuart Sutcliffe was the best painter.

Stuart-Sutcliffe-stuart-sutcliffe-251180

“He wasn’t really a very good musician. In fact, he wasn't a musician at all until we talked him into buying a bass,” Harrison later recalled. “He picked up a few things and he practiced a bit. … It was a bit ropey, but it didn’t matter at that time because he looked so cool.”

Read More: The Day Former Beatle Stuart Sutcliffe Died | https://ultimateclassicrock.com/stuart-sutcliffe-dies/?utm_source=tsmclip&utm_medium=referral

22 minutes ago, noharleyyet said:

“He wasn’t really a very good musician. In fact, he wasn't a musician at all until we talked him into buying a bass,” Harrison later recalled. “He picked up a few things and he practiced a bit. … It was a bit ropey, but it didn’t matter at that time because he looked so cool.”

Read More: The Day Former Beatle Stuart Sutcliffe Died | https://ultimateclassicrock.com/stuart-sutcliffe-dies/?utm_source=tsmclip&utm_medium=referral

I thought he'd died of a brain tumor or some such. Turns out it was a cerebral hemorrhage that may have been a side effect of getting his head busted in a brawl while he was out with his bandmates Lennon and Best. If so, he literally died from being a Beatle.

2 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

I've often wondered about that. Could they have stayed together or would their talent, and resulting fame break them up ?  Simon, and Garfunkel are still what I consider some of the best song writing duos out there.  Paul being definitely the stronger of the 2.  How many strong talents have been able to stay together ?  

The Stones were never what I considered fantastic songs writers even though I love most of their stuff, they've been able to stay together a long damn time.

Did Art Garfunkel write ANY  of their songs?  

1 hour ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Pete Best is the real tragic figure in all this. I mean they replaced him with Ringo.  RINGO !!

I love Ringo and I think he's one of the great drummers, but Pete Best was fired because of his  personality.   Ringo's better, no doubt.  But Best just didn't fit with the other 3.   Cynthia Lennon wrote about it quite a bit in her book.

• 2 weeks later...

Post Beatles?

Sweet George for me. Lennon second and Paul & Wings last. And I’ve had to come around on this but Harrisons music has stood the test of time much better than the others.

If you haven’t seen it, try to catch “Concert for George”. I believe it’s available on some streaming services. It’s awesome. You’re welcome.

• Like 1

On 7/28/2020 at 4:44 PM, Gil Bang said:

I love Ringo and I think he's one of the great drummers, but Pete Best was fired because of his  personality.   Ringo's better, no doubt.  But Best just didn't fit with the other 3.   Cynthia Lennon wrote about it quite a bit in her book.

Cynthia doesn't know much about drumming. Pete was just a pedestrian drummer at "Best." It was fine for the shithole clubs, but he wasn't going to cut it in the big time.

3 hours ago, TxTower said:

Post Beatles?

Sweet George for me. Lennon second and Paul & Wings last. And I’ve had to come around on this but Harrisons music has stood the test of time much better than the others.

If you haven’t seen it, try to catch “Concert for George”. I believe it’s available on some streaming services. It’s awesome. You’re welcome.

I saw it at a theater a couple of years ago.  Amazing on the big screen, although the Indian music bored the fuck out of me. 

On 8/11/2020 at 12:05 AM, Tom said:

"Ram" is probably my favorite post-Beatles album by my favorite post-Beatles songwriter.

Ram is brilliant. It was one of the first albums I ever listened to all the way through, and first one that I owned, and I always had to buy it again on every different format that came out.

• Hook 'Em 1