Shooting at Austin protest tonight, 1 dead

clapclapclap

Video nearby:

Not clear what happened, but in the vid you hear a car honking, protesters appear to turn and swarm towards a car, and then shots are heard.

One person taken to the hospital with life threatening injuries.

https://www.kut.org/post/one-person-shot-during-protest-downtown-austin

Edit:  Now a homicide:

There were at least 2 other shootings at protests today, both protester friendly fire.  In Louisville a militia gathering had an accidental discharge that injured 3.  In Aurora, CO protesters blocked an interstate, a jeep drove through the crowd scattering them, and a protester shot at the jeep but hit other protesters.

Edited by clapclapclap

Just now, Larry T. Spider said:

One side will say it was a right winger attacking protestors.

The other side will say the protestors were attacking some random person and they defended themselves.

The truth will come out and it won’t matter because people will make up their mind after reading twitter.

2020 is quite the bitch.

In the Austin subreddit, folks who were there are saying the car just rolled up, a guy jumped out, and started shooting. Not clear what the motivations are, but the shooter clearly wanted to harm some protesters specifically. No escalation, just straight to murder

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 3

Louisville protest shooting today:

https://www.courier-journal.com/story/news/2020/07/25/louisville-shooting-accidental-shots-fired-injures-3-nfac-protest/5510892002/

Shortly before 1 p.m. Saturday, three people were struck by gunfire when someone’s gun discharged while participating in the NFAC demonstration at Baxter Park.

The group was gathered in the park preparing to march downtown to 6th and Jefferson. Two individuals were wheeled off on stretchers by medics, another had her arm treated and another appeared to have his hand treated.

All three victims went to the University of Louisville Hospital with non-life-threatening injuries, Louisville Metro Police Chief Robert Schroeder later confirmed in a news release. 

"All involved are members of the NFAC and there are no outstanding suspects," Schroeder said. "This is a tragic situation that could have been much worse. I encourage anyone choosing to exercise their Second Amendment rights to do so responsibly." (snip)

Aurora, CO today:

https://kdvr.com/news/video-jeep-blasts-through-protesters-shot-fired-by-protester/?anvplayer-autoplay=0

48 minutes ago, clapclapclap said:

Louisville protest shooting today:

https://www.courier-journal.com/story/news/2020/07/25/louisville-shooting-accidental-shots-fired-injures-3-nfac-protest/5510892002/

Shortly before 1 p.m. Saturday, three people were struck by gunfire when someone’s gun discharged while participating in the NFAC demonstration at Baxter Park.

The group was gathered in the park preparing to march downtown to 6th and Jefferson. Two individuals were wheeled off on stretchers by medics, another had her arm treated and another appeared to have his hand treated.

All three victims went to the University of Louisville Hospital with non-life-threatening injuries, Louisville Metro Police Chief Robert Schroeder later confirmed in a news release. 

"All involved are members of the NFAC and there are no outstanding suspects," Schroeder said. "This is a tragic situation that could have been much worse. I encourage anyone choosing to exercise their Second Amendment rights to do so responsibly." (snip)

Aurora, CO today:

https://kdvr.com/news/video-jeep-blasts-through-protesters-shot-fired-by-protester/?anvplayer-autoplay=0

Lol. So crazy Militia pretend soldiers shot each other?  That’s sorta comical. 

7 hours ago, Larry T. Spider said:

One side will say it was a right winger attacking protestors.

The other side will say the protestors were attacking some random person and they defended themselves.

The truth will come out and it won’t matter because people will make up their mind after reading twitter.

2020 is quite the bitch.

This song is always in the back of my head, but I don't recall a single post ever evoking it quite like this one.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Enchubben said:

This is probably one to wait until facts come out; there will be lots of video. 

Yeah, no doubt. I *think* what we know is there was one armed protester and also an armed driver. We know that the car drove into the crowd even though they had the right-of-way. Then shots were fired.

That's about all we can tell for now. Need to go brew a pot of coffee.

• Hook 'Em 1

Somebody that is more versed in rifles and handguns could probably tell what gun was shooting and how many times. The first 4-5 shots (:20 second mark) sound different from the last three (:28 second mark). If I had to guess it was rifle first, then handgun but they didn’t report on the type of gun the driver had.

6 hours ago, Xian said:

Per reddit, people are saying there was a confrontation between a guy with a gun pushing his wife in a wheel chair and a guy in a car with a gun as well. Ended up with the guy pushing wheelchair dead.   Horrible situation. 

Well, was it comical or horrible?

You seem confused.

6 hours ago, Xian said:

I posted in the politics thread, but per twitter here is the victim earlier in the day.  

does anyone know if the roads were blocked off to protect the protestors?  Did this guy drive through a barricade? Or was he randomly caught up in a crowd?  

90299443-3EE6-4216-BDBB-1319DAE5ADE9.jpeg

Why does anyone need an assault rifle?

Edited by Longhorn

22 minutes ago, Captainant said:

This KUT reporter has an eye-witness account

Which poster likes to point out how inaccurate eyewitness accounts are? This is a perfect example. Audio clearly shows there were at least 8 shots fired. 5 in rapid succession then a pause then 3 in rapid succession. Also some accounts said black car this one says blue, although I guess it could be navy blue

So tragic 

Just now, Sawbonz said:

Which poster likes to point out how inaccurate eyewitness accounts are? This is a perfect example. Audio clearly shows there were at least 8 shots fired. 5 in rapid succession then a pause then 3 in rapid succession. Also some accounts said black car this one says blue, although I guess it could be navy blue

So tragic 

Motherfucker, if you have another journalists reporting from the scene of the event I'm all ears. I'm not posting Andy Ngo or Infowars so I know it's not the preference of much of the boards denizens, but fuck me for posting actual on site reporting of a current event, right?

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 2

17 minutes ago, Xian said:

?  Two different shootings...  the one where fake army bro’s on the same side shot each other by mistake has a sorta comedic element. Especially since no one died. 

I meant to say, “I seem confused”.

Agreed of the comedy of the other.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Motherfucker, if you have another journalists reporting from the scene of the event I'm all ears. I'm not posting Andy Ngo or Infowars so I know it's not the preference of much of the boards denizens, but fuck me for posting actual on site reporting of a current event, right?

Ok. Back to the facts. Who many shots did you hear? How many shots did the reporter say? I don’t need a “journalist” to tell me the facts. Do you?

And KUT? Come on. Don’t try to make them out to be unbiased, legit media. You know better. 

Edited by Longhorn
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Fuck You 2

Just now, Longhorn said:

Ok. Back to the facts. Who many shots did you hear? How many shots did the reporter say? I don’t need a “journalist” to tell me the facts. Do you?

Did you see me posting that saying it was the be-all end all factual basis of all discussion going forward? No, I said it was reporting of a first-hand account.

Y'all need to cool your jets lmao

2 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

First shots seem louder than final three shots. At this point in the video, car seems stationary. 

Yeah, the car stopped after making the turn into the crowd. I hear 5 loud shots, pause, 3 quieter shots. Probably different guns, but I'm by no means an expert.

2 minutes ago, Longhorn said:

The journalist didn't say shit. Those are direct quotes from a witness; hence the use of quotation marks.

11 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Did you see me posting that saying it was the be-all end all factual basis of all discussion going forward? No, I said it was reporting of a first-hand account.

Y'all need to cool your jets lmao

I inferred from your mentioning of KUT reporter that the account bore more weight because of it. Was my inference incorrect?

edit:  of course I also read that the reporter being the eye witness, not finding one. I see now that it’s the latter. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto

9 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Bro calm down. I’m not criticizing you for posting or Mose Buchele for reporting. I listen to NPR exclusively for my news.   He’s a great reporter and will likely climb the ladder to national at NPR if he so chooses. I’m pointing to this as an example of how eyewitness accounts in high stress situations can be wrong. Do you disagree with that observation?

Happy Sunday

• Hook 'Em 2

7 hours ago, Xian said:

Per reddit, people are saying there was a confrontation between a guy with a gun pushing his wife in a wheel chair and a guy in a car with a gun as well. Ended up with the guy pushing wheelchair dead.   Horrible situation. 

Can you try again in English?

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I inferred from your mentioning of KUT reporter that the account bore more weight because of it. Was my inference incorrect?

You should infer that their reporting is accurate to the eyewitnesses account and they are not selectively editing what the eye witness said. Because KUT is an actual journalistic entity. Any inference past that is your own

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 2