Shooting at Austin protest tonight, 1 dead

clapclapclap

9 hours ago, Captainant said:

In the Austin subreddit, folks who were there are saying the car just rolled up, a guy jumped out, and started shooting. Not clear what the motivations are, but the shooter clearly wanted to harm some protesters specifically. No escalation, just straight to murder

More initial reporting lulz

• Fuck You 1

Any video of “turning into crowd”?  Looks like the car isn’t mobbed u til he honks his horn. Seems like he would have already been mobbed at that point if he was “driving into a crowd”. I’m sure there will be more video. 

Bolverk posted one an hour ago from a dash cam that was right there.

Driver blatantly blew past a red light before making the turn.
  • Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Any video of “turning into crowd”?  Looks like the car isn’t mobbed u til he honks his horn. Seems like he would have already been mobbed at that point if he was “driving into a crowd”. I’m sure there will be more video. 

Upthread. Post #17 shows a different angle with the car clearly turn right onto Congress and into the crowd. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, immamac said:

I think this is going to be really sad and not defending anyone, but shooting someone who is armed with a rifle approaching your vehicle...optics aren't gonna be unfavorable to the survivor here. 

I think it's going to come down to that the driver drove through a red light to drive into a crowd of people, which is in itself assault with a deadly weapon. Even if the car didn't hit anyone. 

And open carry is legal, you can't just shoot someone for walking towards you with a visible firearm. Need more information on the sequence of events. I wonder where the five long gun sound shots were fired, if the victim shot at the driver I would think that would be a detail shared in initial reporting

1 hour ago, bolverk said:

Different angle.

...or a guy, driving too fast and like shit downtown (which is common), turned the wrong corner, found himself in a mob, shit his pants, reacted irrationally, reacted out of fear and defensively and made the wrong decision to pull a gun and open fire.  Imo i don't see a guy accelerating to try and run people over. Otherwise he would have done just that.  He would have had to been not looking, unaware, a dumbass drunk or high to turn there but all plausible.  Just another possible perspective, not saying correct, of this idoit.    

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Captainant said:

I think it's going to come down to that the driver drove through a red light to drive into a crowd of people, which is in itself assault with a deadly weapon. Even if the car didn't hit anyone. 

And open carry is legal, you can't just shoot someone for walking towards you with a visible firearm. Need more information on the sequence of events. I wonder where the five long gun sound shots were fired, if the victim shot at the driver I would think that would be a detail shared in initial reporting

I think your 1st paragraph is correct.

The events of the second are not clear yet.

3 minutes ago, Captainant said:

How does right turn on red work? Curbside to curbside?  Or is is against the law to make a right turn at all in red?

Is it legal to just walk down the middle of the street on both sides of the road without traffic signals providing right away? 

More from Reddit.  
Interview with victim earlier in the day
victim showing off his gun on social media earlier in the month.

Picture of victim earlier in the day

and finally what looks like the victim pointing the gun at the car (though hard to see details)

still can’t find anything on the driver...

3443DBCC-A280-4ECB-9614-1359A649A12A.jpeg

8551B9C5-4848-4EEE-8B95-65B8825D166B.jpeg

361D08A1-4AFA-464E-B710-5B34151E01F9.jpeg

Edited by Xian

6 minutes ago, immamac said:

2) no one broke any laws, but there was some asshole behavior that happened from guy in the car.

Gonna have to disagree with you there, boss. The car didn't have the light and didn't yield right-of-way to pedestrians. Plus, it looks like he pulled into the far right lane of Congress, which has been blocked off with orange traffic cones for a while now.

Now, granted it was a Saturday night, so the driver could've been drinking/disoriented (or impatient/frustrated) and may not have anything to do with opposition to the protests. If that's the case, then it could've simply been a tragic mistake by the driver that inflamed tensions, resulting in the first armed guy freaking out with the motorist responding in kind.

If I had to place a bet, that's my most likely scenario.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Captainant said:

6 minutes ago, RollLeft said:

...or a guy, driving too fast and like shit downtown (which is common), turned the wrong corner, found himself in a mob, shit his pants, reacted irrationally, reacted out of fear and defensively and made the wrong decision to pull a gun and open fire.  Imo i don't see a guy accelerating to try and run people over. Otherwise he would have done just that.  He would have had to been not looking, unaware, a dumbass drunk or high to turn there but all plausible.  Just another possible perspective, not saying correct, of this idoit.    

Looks like we're all on the same page with early speculation. I'm just slower with typing on my phone.

13 minutes ago, immamac said:

I mean here's what we know: 

1) deceased was armed with an AK-47 rifle. 

2) no one broke any laws, but there was some asshole behavior that happened from guy in the car.

3) the only dead person or persons with gunshot wounds was armed and a part of an aggressive crowd around the car

4) suspect is cooperating with police.

I think this is going to be really sad and not defending anyone, but shooting someone who is armed with a rifle approaching your vehicle...optics aren't gonna be unfavorable to the survivor here. 

Probably. The law allows the use of your weapon if you feel threatened and are "trapped," which is what the occupant of the vehicle will likely claim. 

2 minutes ago, bolverk said:

Gonna have to disagree with you there, boss. The car didn't have the light and didn't yield right-of-way to pedestrians. Plus, it looks like he pulled into the far right lane of Congress, which has been blocked off with orange traffic cones for a while now.

Now, granted it was a Saturday night, so the driver could've been drinking/disoriented (or impatient/frustrated) and may not have anything to do with opposition to the protests. If that's the case, then it could've simply been a tragic mistake by the driver that inflamed tensions, resulting in the first armed guy freaking out with the motorist responding in kind.

If I had to place a bet, that's my most likely scenario.

That's what the intent behind the post was. The optics aren't there to just say this guy straight murdered some protesters. There's always going to be doubt unless there's a different extremely clear perspective we haven't yet seen. 

6 minutes ago, Longhorn said:

How does right turn on red work? Curbside to curbside?  Or is is against the law to make a right turn at all in red?

Is it legal to just walk down the middle of the street on both sides of the road without traffic signals providing right away? 

The far right lanes on both sides of Congress have been blocked off with orange traffic cones for the past month, presumably for protestors to use on their regular marches. It looks to me that the driver turned into that far right lane, perhaps by mistake.

14 minutes ago, Xian said:

Yeah the optics favor the driver, imo.  If i were on the jury, at this point and merely based on this pic, i can't say i'd find the driver guilty. He's facing a guy with an AK.  I can't say i wouldn't have punched the accelerator myself.  That said all the facts aren't in yet.  

Edited by RollLeft

[speculation below]

I reasonably could see the order of events as:

Driver is out downtown driving for whatever reason

Makes a wrong turn into a crowd of protesters

Protesters are scared for their safety, as protesters getting hit by cars has been on the rise (I can cite examples, if you'd like)

Armed protester(s) aim at car that seemingly aggressively drove into their crowd 

Shot fired by driver in self defense

[End speculation]

Thinks are so tense right now, it's easy to justifiably see a genuine and non-threatening mistake as aggressive actions

• Like 1

There is video of the car turning into the crowd at a faster than safe speed. He didn’t appear to hit anyone but you can’t see. Pedestrians have the right of way, so he’s in the wrong no matter what. 

There is video of the protestors surrounding the car. There is a still screenshot of the rifle protestor near the vehicle. 

You can clearly hear 5 shots, a pause, and then 3 shots. People are assuming that the 5 louder shots came from the rifle by the protester and the 3 quieter shots come from the person in the car. Can we know that for sure? I’m guessing some gun experts will chime in. 

Either way, it seems like there a lot of bad decisions out there. 

guns are stupid 

Edited by Neonmoon
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

Just now, Captainant said:

[speculation below]

I reasonably could see the order of events as:

Driver is out downtown driving for whatever reason

Makes a wrong turn into a crowd of protesters

Protesters are scared for their safety, as protesters getting hit by cars has been on the rise (I can cite examples, if you'd like)

Armed protester(s) aim at car that seemingly aggressively drove into their crowd 

Shot fired by driver in self defense

[End speculation]

Thinks are so tense right now, it's easy to justifiably see a genuine and non-threatening mistake as aggressive actions

This is why it's tragic. Play stupid games win stupid prizes though. 

5 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

There is video of the car turning into the crowd at a faster than safe speed. He didn’t appear to hit anyone but you can’t see. Pedestrians have the right of way, so he’s in the wrong no matter what. 

This is just not true.  

When a pedestrian is crossing a roadway at any point other than within a marked crosswalk or within an unmarked crosswalk at an intersection, he or she must yield the right of way to all vehicles.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

I have to say that it’s hard for me to understand the logic behind going to a protest with a rifle. Having a firearm in your car or home for self defense, that I get, but taking one to a protest?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Longhorn said:

This is just not true.  

When a pedestrian is crossing a roadway at any point other than within a marked crosswalk or within an unmarked crosswalk at an intersection, he or she must yield the right of way to all vehicles.

Again, he turned into a lane that was blocked off and filled with pedestrians. That is where he stopped and the shooting incident occurred.

8 minutes ago, bolverk said:

Again, he turned into a lane that was blocked off and filled with pedestrians. That is where he stopped and the shooting incident occurred.

The videos I see have people walking all from curb to curb down Congress. I don’t see people walking within designated cone lanes. Do you?

As a matter of fact, the only cones I see in the video from #17 post, the driver specifically drives around. 

Edited by Longhorn
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

2 hours ago, Enchubben said:

Somebody that is more versed in rifles and handguns could probably tell what gun was shooting and how many times. The first 4-5 shots (:20 second mark) sound different from the last three (:28 second mark). If I had to guess it was rifle first, then handgun but they didn’t report on the type of gun the driver had.

I'll spitball.

First was the evil black weapon being fired in the air to scare off the driver of the car who just showed his to everyone.

Rifle guys was into warning shots and pistola boy was not.

Edited by Cajun
After review of the red boxed photo, more likely that ole Garrett just had no idea how to handle that weapon.

How long is it going to be before an armed drug dealer using some of his own product to stay up all night and make deliveries makes a wrong turn into one of these things?

44 minutes ago, Xian said:

More from Reddit.  
Interview with victim earlier in the day
victim showing off his gun on social media earlier in the month.

Picture of victim earlier in the day

and finally what looks like the victim pointing the gun at the car (though hard to see details)

still can’t find anything on the driver...

3443DBCC-A280-4ECB-9614-1359A649A12A.jpeg

8551B9C5-4848-4EEE-8B95-65B8825D166B.jpeg

That last photo.

Dayum.  

3 minutes ago, Longhorn said:

The videos I see have people walking all from curb to curb down Congress. I don’t see people walking within designated cone lanes. Do you?

Yes, there were also people in the middle of the street, but is it your position that it is perfectly fine, normal, and completely justifiable to drive into a crowd of people? Is that what you would've done? Drive intentionally into a crowd of people? I guess if you're a psychopath...

Me? I would've continued straight ahead, go down a block, and avoided the crowd altogether. In this particular case, the people he specifically drove into were in a blocked off lane. Personally, I think it was probably a tragic mistake made by the driver. He's still liable for his decision and driving behavior.

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, Longhorn said:

This is just not true.  

Your positing that the car was not at fault?

Maybe for that reason, and perhaps also owing to the popular (but not universally true) adage “Pedestrians always have the right of way,” it's sometimes assumed that a pedestrian cannot be at fault for a car accident. That's not always the case. In this article, we'll discuss when a pedestrian might be wholly or partially at fault for causing an accident.

How to Determine Fault in a Pedestrian Accident Case

Certainly, there are accident scenarios in which a vehicle driver is clearly at fault for hitting a pedestrian. Running a stoplight, failing to stop at a designated crosswalk, and making a right turn on a red light in front of a crossing pedestrian are just a few common examples.

Just now, Fondren & Main said:

He earned it.  I can’t believe how many people on this site defend asshole behavior.  Get the fuck out of the road.  Nobody is going to support your protests if you engage in asshole behavior.

Carrying a gun might be asshole behavior, or shooting one, but protesting in the road is asshole behavior?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Am I a dick to say maybe the guy in the Car felt threatened?   Got ten strangers blocking you and banging on your car.  Someone with a gun confronts you?  Idk.  RIP to the victim but if I’m approaching a vehicle with a gun it may not end well for me

Maybe the driver wouldn't feel threatened if he didn't choose to drive into a crowd and endanger them first? 

I thought cops were the only folks who could escalate a situation then legally shoot their way out?

• Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, bolverk said:

Yes, there were also people in the middle of the street, but is it your position that it is perfectly fine, normal, and completely justifiable to walk into a street of cars?

I think this is the question you mean to ask?  I feel pretty normal is saying that I wouldn’t walk down one of Austin’s busy streets because I might be hit by a car.  Feel free to call that psycho, but you may want to look in a mirror.

• Fuck You 1

2 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Says the person who thinks people that protest in roads are assholes, which pretty much includes every protest in the history of our country specifically the civil rights movement, gay rights movement, women’s rights movement. But please do put me on ignore and I will do the same. I don’t want my board cluttered up with obstinate stupidity. 

You mean organized marches, that have permits, road blocks, etc...? Or assholes who put everyone at risk and just walk down streets?

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1