Shooting at Austin protest tonight, 1 dead

clapclapclap

10 hours ago, Longhorn said:

Yes, sir. Mr. non-escalation himself. 

This, to me, is what's amazing.  I mean he's protesting the cops, and aside from the racial component to that protest, I'm betting if this hadn't happened and I were to ask him about LEOs escalating situations unnecessarily, you'd get an earful from the guy about how they do and I'd be right there with him.  One could have asked him, "Do you think the police are way too quick to draw their weapons?  Should they, perhaps, calm the fuck down about that shit?"

I'll bet he would have provided quite an earful in the affirmative.

And, yet...

Edited by Cajun
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, NorthLoop said:

I just don't see how any of those if's can be proven. I'm not saying that they aren't true, and if they are true then fuck him. But legally how do you prove them? I don't think his older twitter posts are enough. 

I don't know either, but if I were tasked with investigating this thing I'd be contacting his ride share vendor and requesting closed circuit camera footage to see how/where he was driving before the whole thing went down. For example, was he driving parallel and in the same direction of the protesters before hanging a right onto 4th to head them off at the pass on Congress?

I'd be looking for that kind of thing.

• Like 1

I don’t make the leap from his tweets to premeditation but they do, to me, render his version of the events to be completely worthless and they create a strong presumption that his standard for what constitutes an imminent threat is not objectively reasonable.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

Mostly because in that exact situation, (which admittedly I'd likely never find myself) I am forced to admit that I'd feel threatened as fuck. I can't claim if I couldn't drive away (which I'm not sure he can or can't due to being obstructed by other protestors) that I would not go to arms. In fact, I know I likely would as the old adage goes, it's better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6. As always, I truly hope I'm never put in a position where I'm forced to make such a choice, and is the very reason I would not have been there in the first place.

I've thought about this a lot as well. If I were in a situation where protesters were surrounding my car like you see in numerous videos, I'm not sure what I'd do. I do know that seeing the Reginald Denny video a long time ago made me always vow that I'd never get out of the car. 

No idea if there's any truth to this, but a friend just posted this on Facebook, about Austin:

There is intelligence that professional rioters are being bussed in from Portland to disrupt peaceful protests and set up a CHOP.

Anyone heard anything about this?

Edited by Art Vandelay

6 minutes ago, bolverk said:

Ask your friend to provide links to the media reports about paid protesters being sent from Portland to Austin to set up a CHOP.

There aren't any. She's passing along info from APD contacts. Believe it or don't, I don't care. Just wondering if anyone had heard similar things.

19 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

WTF is a professional rioter? Not being flippant, but are these people actually compensated? Who is paying for the bus ride and paying them?

I really want more details on what, exactly, those mean or if it is social media bullshit.

No clue, but if I had to guess, BLM. They have plenty of money. Again, just a guess. I hope it is all social media bullshit.

Of course it’s almost certainly bullshit.  Worse than that it’s probably fear mongering bullshit.  Social media is the perfect platform for people to feed their confirmation bias and play into the unmitigated fear/hatred of others.  

I feel like this happens every time there’s some kind of protesting action, and it’s always the same thing about people being bussed in to instigate unrest...what would these people gain beyond some pocket money at the risk of getting arrested?  The people paying them would gain what, and to what end?  I’ve driven from Austin to Portland, it took 3 long days in a uhaul...it seems a stretch they’d rent a bus for that when they can just find people here to pay.  

Now I know there have been situations when people from other states were arrested in protests/riots, but has there been any legit news where these people were found to be paid for it? You’d think the law of averages would play out where someone would have been busted and sung about who paid them, and I’d think it’d be big news as one side of the aisle would have gone ballistic over it and uncovered who exactly was paying them.  

Sadly cases of bullshit are on the rise 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

19 minutes ago, Art Vandelay said:

There aren't any. She's passing along info from APD contacts. Believe it or don't, I don't care. Just wondering if anyone had heard similar things.

The quote from your friend said: "there have been a few media reports." If she can't provide evidence of that, then I'd say it's probably bullshit social media hysteria.

4 minutes ago, Art Vandelay said:

The "paid protestors" thing may well be bullshit, I don't know. But my friend has very good contacts within APD and I do believe something bad is brewing. Lots of chatter about it. We'll see. 

“Everybody’s saying”.  Sounds familiar.  

Let’s see what happens.  If you’re so concerned, DM the APD and tell them, post their replies here.  I’ll wait.  Didn’t work out too well for a certain pizza joint, so maybe hold your gullible self until actual information emerges.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Homercles said:

“Everybody’s saying”.  Sounds familiar.  

Let’s see what happens.  If you’re so concerned, DM the APD and tell them, post their replies here.  I’ll wait.  Didn’t work out too well for a certain pizza joint, so maybe hold your gullible self until actual information emerges.  

LOL, ok dude. You may want to read the KXAN report posted above.

6 minutes ago, Art Vandelay said:

LOL, ok dude. You may want to read the KXAN report posted above.

Which says nothing about paid protestors here to instigate unrest.  If anything it tells me people who despise the protest or what they’re protesting, are planning to ‘disrupt’ it...maybe by driving into it while carrying a pistol?  

I absolutely abhor anyone who willfully destroys property under the guise of taking advantage of the distraction, trying to prove ANY point or just from sheer/frustration.  Sadly it happens often.  Those people need to be arrested, charged and given fair access to the justice system.  

Unfortunately there is a track record of people who buy into unsubstantiated hype online, that take it as gospel, get themselves riled up, make the situation worse and people end up hurt/dead/property destroyed.  Spreading it here is conceivably dangerous and stupid, on your part.  

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

I would guess it is an abundance of caution, given last weekend started this thread.  

That's kind of where I'm at on this. It's very likely there will indeed be protests tonight, but the "paid protesters" from Portland smacks of the Soros tropes.

While I get that last weekend's protesters probably didn't have a permit to march down Congress, job number one of the cops should be to keep the peace and protect protesters, bystanders, and property. I don't think they did that last weekend even though they had an evident presence given the extremely rapid response time to the shooting.

These quotes from the KXAN story should actually be encouraging:

APD: “We are bringing in the necessary staff, and have partnered with other local law enforcement agencies as we have done throughout the past few months, to allow for those peacefully and lawfully practicing their first  amendment rights while also working to prevent any violence or destruction of property.

DPS: “DPS supports the right of individuals to lawfully protest, and public safety is our top priority. Therefore, DPS will be increasing our presence this weekend, along with our local law enforcement partners, to ensure public safety needs are met and to combat any potential criminal activity.”

Those are absolutely the messages I want to hear.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Homercles said:

Unfortunately there is a track record of people who buy into unsubstantiated hype online, that take it as gospel, get themselves riled up, make the situation worse and people end up hurt/dead/property destroyed.  Spreading it here is conceivably dangerous and stupid, on your part.  

It's all over social media already, so I find it laughable that you think posting it on a UT fan board is "dangerous." Stupid? Yeah maybe, but I allowed more than once on this thread that the buses/paid protestors part could very well be bullshit. I'm aware it usually is.

The part I'm more concerned about is DPS acknowledging "reports of people planning to disrupt protests happening this weekend." We all know what that means, and it's not good. But it tracks with what my friend, who has contacts in APD, has said. Whether those people are already here or they arrived by bus, car or helicopter, who cares? They're looking for trouble. And I am glad to hear APD & DPS are preparing for it. If they'd done a better job of that last weekend then maybe a life would have been saved.

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, Homercles said:

Please; this is the other place...

15 minutes ago, Longhorn said:

For the record....

I, Longhorn, do not have any intent to shoot a protester (with or without an AK-47), California roll a right on red, or aggressively honk my horn this weekend or in the future.

Thank you, 

Longhorn.

spacer.png

52 minutes ago, Art Vandelay said:

It's all over social media already, so I find it laughable that you think posting it on a UT fan board is "dangerous." Stupid? Yeah maybe, but I allowed more than once on this thread that the buses/paid protestors part could very well be bullshit. I'm aware it usually is.

The part I'm more concerned about is DPS acknowledging "reports of people planning to disrupt protests happening this weekend." We all know what that means, and it's not good. But it tracks with what my friend, who has contacts in APD, has said. Whether those people are already here or they arrived by bus, car or helicopter, who cares? They're looking for trouble. And I am glad to hear APD & DPS are preparing for it. If they'd done a better job of that last weekend then maybe a life would have been saved.

Your original ‘concern’ was over bussed rioters.  You changed over to mostly ‘concerned’ about people planning to disrupt the protests once you posted that KXAN link as a response to people feeling the bussed rioters assertion was likely bs.  

Sounds like police are aware that protests about politically charged issues bring out angry people on both sides of the issue and they’re preparing for it. And I don’t know what police were going to do about a man exercising his (stupid, IMO) right to lawfully carry around an assault rifle in a charged atmosphere...or a guy driving around with a pistol in his car, again legally.  Isn’t that prior restraint?

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Homercles said:

Your original ‘concern’ was over bussed rioters.  You changed over to mostly ‘concerned’ about people planning to disrupt the protests once you posted that KXAN link as a response to people feeling the bussed rioters assertion was likely bs.  

It's all the same to me. I'm concerned about people, whether as individuals or in groups, planning to disrupt peaceful protests with violence in my city. Whether they arrive by bus or car, or if they're already here, it doesn't make much difference to me.

Sounds like police are aware that protests about politically charged issues bring out angry people on both sides of the issue and they’re preparing for it. And I don’t know what police were going to do about a man exercising his (stupid, IMO) right to lawfully carry around an assault rifle in a charged atmosphere...or a guy driving around with a pistol in his car, again legally.  Isn’t that prior restraint?

You're right about this, and I misspoke. My complaint should have been directed not at APD/DPS, but at the mayor/city for allowing people to march down a major street without a permit, not blocking off traffic, and not allowing law enforcement to do their job. I agree there's nothing police could have done to prevent the shooting, but if the city didn't allow a free-for-all on Congress Ave, it likely wouldn't have happened.

2 minutes ago, Art Vandelay said:

It's all the same to me. I'm concerned about people, whether as individuals or in groups, planning to disrupt peaceful protests with violence in my city. Whether they arrive by bus or car, or if they're already here, it doesn't make much difference to me.

You're right about this, and I misspoke. My complaint should have been directed not at APD/DPS, but at the mayor/city for allowing people to march down a major street without a permit, not blocking off traffic, and not allowing law enforcement to do their job. I agree there's nothing police could have done to prevent the shooting, but if the city didn't allow a free-for-all on Congress Ave, it likely wouldn't have happened.

its a good thing this is the state capital.  our city govt has no chance of handling this.

• Hook 'Em 1

47 minutes ago, Gladeite said:

On Thursday I counted 30+ dps vehicles between Austin and Abilene.  All headed towards Austin.  I thought there may be a convention.   Over 1000 troopers being brought in for the weekend protest + dhs, dea and border patrol.   

Yep, I drove SA to ATX on Wednesday had about 15 DPS cars and Explorers pass me in Kyle heading north.

I was wondering what the fuck that was about and now it makes sense.

I will be more than happy if it all turns out to be bullshit. I guess we'll find out tonight on the local news.

It will turn out to be bullshit. How do we know? The story is about busloads of people. Last I checked, there are no stealth buses. There are plenty of people with a vested interest in that story being true. Tail them, photograph their arrival and unloading. Should be pretty easy.

Yet we won’t see that. Just like we didn’t earlier this year when there were BS reports of the same thing. Or a few years back. Or ever here in Austin.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1