Shooting at Austin protest tonight, 1 dead

clapclapclap

2 hours ago, washparkhorn said:

Stay away from the brown acid old man. 

Ok. Well the brown acid showed me a bunch of cops in riot gear and a bunch of citizens mainly walking around, probably stoned. I think someone might have stole a snickers from a 7-11, but maybe you could fill us in on the “riot” you saw. 

5 hours ago, JimmyJames said:

Yeah it’s downtown but the only people who ever go there are lawyers and Mexican drug dealers.

The closest San Diego ever got to a riot was when they still allowed alcohol on the beaches and late one night someone started a bonfire.

Plainly incorrect - yes? Those were no bonfires on the beach. You need to branch out of the suburbs.  San Diego is a city, with people living down there now. A lot like denver and austin.

Urban is not scary. The density creates a lot of cool settings. And San Diego has a lot of cool settings.

There was definitely a racial edge to the troubles, but that was a lot of Idoicy - and poor organization at the beginning. The marches needed to happen but they needed to be safe. Police came in with a show of force (SD has well equipped law enforcement) and curfews were put in place in local areas - including LaMesa - which is San Diego Metro (kind of like Irving, Texas is to Dallas).

Hopefully the show of force keeps the idoits in their Grand Theft Auto fantasy lands. The community wanted to come together and it did. Those who stand against community cohesiveness create flashpoints. San Diego had theirs, handled it well and everyone has forgotten about it. Placing curfews at localized flashpoints calmed the community here in San Diego Metro.

I imagine it would work for Austin. The communities in San Diego affected by the damage ended up coming together and respecting their neighbors a little more. Smart population - like denver and austin.

austin is good at coming together and progressing forward. So is Texas. a few idoits, some folk who just like drama, some who could care less, and some who just don't know better. 

I am anti-idoit. 

• Hook 'Em 2

11 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Came here to see if Antifa has seized the Capitol and "blown up" APD yet. Facebook says tonight's the big night. 

It happened on Saturday, but prayers were answered?

Fitlump has been retweeting Fatty Arbuckle, whom I thought had died back in the '30s (have to ask @Armybrat ) but apparently he just changed his name.

On 8/1/2020 at 1:20 PM, Dahobbs said:

Yup, just like other allegedly violent caravans, this is just bullshit being spread to justify action. APD is smart to be prepared given the recent shooting, everything else is just theater for idiots. 

I hope some of y'all enjoyed the show. 

54 minutes ago, Foggy Notion said:

New statement from Perry’s lawyers...

That second point should be pretty easily verifiable, so I doubt his legal team would be lying about it. Glad he didn't crash the memorial. That restores a smidgen of my ability to not think all of humanity is comprised of absolutely worthless assholes.

• Hook 'Em 1

Without sports, I've been watching a lot of Brit crime shows. And while I know it's television, I do notice how the cops are able to arrest most suspects without any threat of guns being involved. Maybe we should start letting unarmed cops handle certain crimes, with armed back up. The unarmed cop can keep their weapon in the car. Of course good luck finding a cop who will take that job. Maybe give them a taser to carry at all times.

Edited by Brothahorn

I'm sure a lot of existing cops would reject being unarmed, but there are plenty who would love to make their $$ to write speeding tickets and accomplish the non-violent tasks that make up the vast, vast, VAST majority of current policework all while being part of a real union and building towards a real pension.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 10 months later...

ABC News: Texas soldier who shot protester indicted on murder charge

By ACACIA CORONADO Report for America/Associated Press

July 1, 2021, 5:10 PM

AUSTIN, Texas -- An Army soldier who shot and killed an armed protester after driving into a crowd demonstrating against police violence in the Texas capital last summer has been indicted on murder charge, authorities said Thursday.

Sgt. Daniel Perry, who was stationed at Fort Hood, was booked and released on $300,000 bail, said Kristen Dark, a spokeswoman for the Travis County Sheriff's Office. She said Perry was booked on one count of murder and one count of deadly conduct in the July 25 death of Garrett Foster, 28.

Perry’s attorney, Clint Broden, has said the soldier was working for a ride-sharing company and acted in self-defense after Foster pointed a gun at him. Broden issued a statement Thursday expressing disappointment in the indictment and confidence that Perry would be acquitted.

“It is important to note that the standard of proof required for an indictment is significantly less than the standard of proof required for a conviction,” the statement said.

The Travis County district attorney's office — which previously had announced plans to present the case to a grand jury to consider charges — did not immediately comment and scheduled a news conference for later Thursday.

Foster was killed during a night of protests and unrest in several U.S. cities. In the immediate aftermath, then-Police Chief Brian Manley said officers heard “two separate volleys of gunfire” and made their way to the crowd, where they found Foster with multiple gunshot wounds.

Perry’s attorneys have previously told The Associated Press that their client had just dropped off a rider when he turned onto a street filled with protesters who began beating on his vehicle. They said that Foster approached the car and motioned with his gun for Perry to lower his window. Perry initially thought Foster worked in law enforcement and put his window down, they said. But when Foster raised his weapon toward Perry, the soldier realized Foster was not a police officer and shot him in self-defense with a handgun in his car, the attorneys said.

• Hook 'Em 1

I thought they just let shooters go in Austin?

Only certain kinds apparently.

This is surprising to me. Is this DA this all over the place?

I’m no gun nut and don’t own one but this guy seems to be less chargeable then some of the kids that got off
  • Like 2