Austin Protest Shooting/Murder

Ted Lange

So based on the posts over there I'm going to assume that all of the DT folks would have been totally cool with it if someone had felt threatened when the MUH HAIRCUTS crowd stormed government buildings with rifles, pulled out their piece, and started dropping rounds into the armed protesters.  

29 minutes ago, SubliminalHorn said:

I think the last thing republicans want to do is bring that attention to red states, especially when Texas is on the precipice of turning purple/light blue. Not good politics. 

so I expect them any day now. 

We’ll for sure at least get a tweet about how Austin is a city run by DEMS.

12 minutes ago, Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand said:

...so, the suspect either hit a quadruple amputee in a wheelchair or was thrown from the wheelchair evading this guy driving through a crowd and hitting a barricade in the process? Am I reading this right or is there a reasonable third (or more) scenario?

If true, I believe there is a place called "under the jail."

I'm not an easy mark for sentimental aspects of a news story, but the story of that couple almost brought tears to my eyes. That woman has lost her limbs and now her great love. I don't know how or if I could deal with her level of misfortune. 

If the killer is what we suspect he is, a virulent POS Trumpist who has taken the urging to hate and shoot to heart, this may indeed be the harbinger of the US after the "election." I begin to think that my punishment fantasies for Donald are too kind, too mild, and too quick.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

offtopic (sort of)...i wonder what the medical malfeasance was with her? some progressive disease im guessing...she's got hands in one pic, obviously the amputations didn't happen all at once.

so sad...i can't help but think what she's feeling in her situation, "who will take care of me now??"

what a fucking mess 💔

1 hour ago, BrickHorn said:

If only there had been a Good Guy With a Gun at the scene, this tragedy could have been averted.

If you subscribe to the theory that the only ones who need guns are cops and the military, there was. Not only did he not do shit, but went on Facebook to post his political bs. 

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10218666364783643&id=1033896561

3 hours ago, BigHorn'13 said:

If you subscribe to the theory that the only ones who need guns are cops and the military, there was. Not only did he not do shit, but went on Facebook to post his political bs. 

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10218666364783643&id=1033896561

I think Brick's post, like mine earier that you quoted, is poking the bear a bit. Not meant to be that black and white or even to frame a side. 

I, personally, don't expect anyone in this situation to do anything logical actually, and I honestly dont have too much of a side here (outside the obvious that murder is clearly wrong no matter what).

The only takeaway I have is that open carry is just dumb. Which we all know. Just dumb. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

Open carry is nuts. Openly carrying an assault rifle is pathological. Bringing it to a demonstration is an invitation to disaster.

All of these guys seem to live in some dream world where they're Clint Eastwood staring down some illusory bad guy.

How odd that the misapplication of the Second Amendment could be the undoing of the whole goddamn Constitution. There will be blood. FOX and the president are surely doing their parts as well.

Well said. 

I consider open carry and no knock raids of the same stupidity. Its just not sensible rules by adults.

As the late great Bill Hicks said - its ok, you have just forgotten how to perceive correctly. I can help you.

Americans have certainly lost some general common sense around the rule of law and what is sensible and what isn't. Sadly, I think nothing but lots of reckoning will be on the menu until its back to something that more resembles adults in charge again. 

bill-hicks.gif

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

If true, I believe there is a place called "under the jail."

I'm not an easy mark for sentimental aspects of a news story, but the story of that couple almost brought tears to my eyes. That woman has lost her limbs and now her great love. I don't know how or if I could deal with her level of misfortune. 

What's worse, she's not likely to find love again.  I'm sorry, but that's the reality.  She's essentially on her own.  I hope she has family to help out.

1 hour ago, staboner said:

I think Brick's post, like mine earier that you quoted, is poking the bear a bit. Not meant to be that black and white or even to frame a side. 

I, personally, don't expect anyone in this situation to do anything logical actually, and I honestly dont have too much of a side here (outside the obvious that murder is clearly wrong no matter what).

The only takeaway I have is that open carry is just dumb. Which we all know. Just dumb. 

It's kinda hard to tell everytime there's a shooting. I always eyeroll at the good guy with a gun bs because there's no such thing about guns that make you good or bad. What you decide to do with them, however, is a different story. 

I say all of that as a LTC holder and carry everyday. And yes, open carry is for crash dummies. Might as well wear a shirt that reads kill me first, I'm a threat...

• Hook 'Em 1

19 hours ago, BrickHorn said:

I said it on another thread: we’re teetering on the precipice of a civil war.

Yep.

As Trump sends his brownshirts into more liberal cities and there are more and more incidents, how much prodding do you think his redneck militia will need to get involved? 

I told a friend a month ago, "We're one dead cop at any of these protests away from martial law and possibly a full-blown civil war."

What a great reason to postpone an election you're polling to get crushed in.

I put nothing past this man and his cabal.  

• Like 1

Open carry is nuts. Openly carrying an assault rifle is pathological. Bringing it to a demonstration is an invitation to disaster.
All of these guys seem to live in some dream world where they're Clint Eastwood staring down some illusory bad guy.
How odd that the misapplication of the Second Amendment could be the undoing of the whole goddamn Constitution. There will be blood. FOX and the president are surely doing their parts as well.
Yeah. Bouncing around in a high rack jeep 4 years ago with 4 loaded ARs in case a jack rabbit jumped out really drove the point home for me. Fun? Hell yeah. Good education for my son about safety, stewardship or promoting safe gun culture- not so much. Felt gross to be honest. Gross cos play.
  • Hook 'Em 2

Said it before we need to adopt a Switzerland like model. But instead of ammo being locked up, make it like $100 a round. You can have all the pew pew toys you want. You just can't have a stockpile of ammo. 
Legalize weed and make ammo nearly impossible to get and we'll see a huge change in this country. 
I don't care what your take is. The second you pull the trigger and kill someone, you're a murderer. The law might not say so, but you are. I get defending your home or even yourself in public. Anything beyond that is pretty cut and dried to me. The guy ran his car into a barricade, like a coward. He was the instigator. Full stop
You and Beto need to chill. That shit isn't happening. What you do is work towards background checks and registry; maybe regress to the 90s and not have 30 round mags and open carry legal.

Then do the quiet part- booga googa - go a step forward
That's about it. You aren't taking hunting rifles etc seek a decent balance
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

This shit must be all over Fox News. My in-laws are all freaked out about it and are sure they’re gonna get shot up. These same folks live in Oak Hill and haven’t been downtown in years. Better chance of getting hit by a speeder on 290 than being in the same zip code as a protest but they are scared to death. This country is so fucked. 

8 hours ago, mchookem said:

offtopic (sort of)...i wonder what the medical malfeasance was with her? some progressive disease im guessing...she's got hands in one pic, obviously the amputations didn't happen all at once.

so sad...i can't help but think what she's feeling in her situation, "who will take care of me now??"

what a fucking mess 💔

So sad.  And my guess on the medical malpractice would be an infection.  Sepsis can cause lack of blood flow to limbs, and could result in multiple amputations.

3 hours ago, Born to Run said:

You and Beto need to chill. That shit isn't happening. What you do is work towards background checks and registry; maybe regress to the 90s and not have 30 round mags and open carry legal.

Don't wholly disagree with that. I meant to exclude hunting provisions. I forgot, so good on you calling that out. But something has to be done. Background checks and registry are just a start

So sad.  And my guess on the medical malpractice would be an infection.  Sepsis can cause lack of blood flow to limbs, and could result in multiple amputations.
Can verify. A friend of mine from high school nearly died from Rocky Mountain spotted fever. She was rushed to ICU and her organs were close to shutting down, she got sepsis and eventually lost all of her fingers and toes. Seeing her hands and fingers prior to amputation surgery was quite astonishing. Freaky shit.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

12 hours ago, MidTexHorn said:

This shit must be all over Fox News. My in-laws are all freaked out about it and are sure they’re gonna get shot up. These same folks live in Oak Hill and haven’t been downtown in years. Better chance of getting hit by a speeder on 290 than being in the same zip code as a protest but they are scared to death. This country is so fucked. 

The context where these type of incidents will happen more frequently is by design and to support Trump's latest attempt to stave off his electoral destruction.  He is stoking civil unrest and escalating the conflict between protestors and his establishment to manufacture fear in the 'burbs.  That way he can pitch himself as the protector of Ken & Karen's way of life.

MAGA!

Ken-and-Karen-the-wealthy-couple-who-pul

• Hook 'Em 1

https://www.statesman.com/news/20200731/army-sergeant-working-as-ride-hailing-driver-shot-protester-garrett-foster-in-self-defense-his-lawyer-says

Shooter identified as U.S. Army Sgt. Daniel Perry.

Unsurprisingly, he is a fervent Trump supporter, and he'd apparently posted several times on his now deleted Twitter calling for violence against protestors. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

When I first saw the dashcam video of him running that red light and the other videos with the sound of his tires screeching and horn blaring, I was confident it would be this.

That was not representative of a naive driver in the wrong place at the wrong time. He's a piece of shit who wanted to act out a violent fantasy against his political enemies.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

When I first saw the dashcam video of him running that red light and the other videos with the sound of his tires screeching and horn blaring, I was confident it would be this.

That was not representative of a naive driver in the wrong place at the wrong time. He's a piece of shit who wanted to act out a violent fantasy against his political enemies.

Looks like he would have had to drive 60+ miles for this.  What an evil fucker.

Looks like he would have had to drive 60+ miles for this.  What an evil fucker.
He was driving for Uber/Lyft and working in Austin that night. I don't believe it was that calculated but I do believe he sought out a confrontation when he saw those protesters on Congress.

So he's driving for uber or Lyft and didn't know there was a protest in the area in which he was giving rides and delivering food. Riiggghhttttt....
Yep, probably saw them and figured he could have a bit of fun by driving into the crowd to disrupt the march. When he realized one of the protesters was packing an AK, he panicked and shot first. I know this is pure speculation on my part, but seems likely from what is available.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

On 7/31/2020 at 5:58 PM, Gourmand said:

He was driving for Uber/Lyft and working in Austin that night. I don't believe it was that calculated but I do believe he sought out a confrontation when he saw those protesters on Congress.

I see it and speculate differently.   Several other people have said the victim had been out there something like 40 nights in a row protesting and carrying his AK.

The killer had been driving for Uber & Lyft in the area and posting pro Trump/ death to protesters messages during that time.

I don’t think it was an accident at all.  Imo, he not only planned the confrontation, he picked his victim out to kill and had his story ready to go.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, SameSame said:

I see it and speculate differently.   Several other people have said the victim had been out there something like 40 nights in a row protesting and carrying his AK.

The killer had been driving for Uber & Lyft in the area and posting pro Trump/ death to protesters messages during that time.

I don’t think it was an accident at all.  Imo, he not only planned the confrontation, he picked his victim out to kill and had his story ready to go.

This is very plausible. 

Have they arrested this guy yet?  If not what’s the hold up? 

On 7/26/2020 at 9:28 PM, Born to Run said:

The Public Safety and Recreational Firearms Use Protection Act or Federal Assault Weapons Ban (AWB) was a subsection of the Violent Crime Control and Law Enforcement Act of 1994, a United States federal law which included a prohibition on the manufacture for civilian use of certain semi-automatic firearms that were defined as assault weapons as well as certain ammunition magazines that were defined as "large capacity".

The 10-year ban was passed by the US Congress on September 13, 1994, following a close 52–48 vote in the US Senate, and was signed into law by US President Bill Clinton on the same day. The ban applied only to weapons manufactured after the date of the ban's enactment. It expired on September 13, 2004, in accordance with its sunset provision. Several constitutional challenges were filed against provisions of the ban, but all were rejected by the courts. There were multiple attempts to renew the ban, but none succeeded.

• 10 months later...

ABC News: Texas soldier who shot protester indicted on murder charge

By ACACIA CORONADO Report for America/Associated Press

July 1, 2021, 5:10 PM

AUSTIN, Texas -- An Army soldier who shot and killed an armed protester after driving into a crowd demonstrating against police violence in the Texas capital last summer has been indicted on murder charge, authorities said Thursday.

Sgt. Daniel Perry, who was stationed at Fort Hood, was booked and released on $300,000 bail, said Kristen Dark, a spokeswoman for the Travis County Sheriff's Office. She said Perry was booked on one count of murder and one count of deadly conduct in the July 25 death of Garrett Foster, 28.

Perry’s attorney, Clint Broden, has said the soldier was working for a ride-sharing company and acted in self-defense after Foster pointed a gun at him. Broden issued a statement Thursday expressing disappointment in the indictment and confidence that Perry would be acquitted.

“It is important to note that the standard of proof required for an indictment is significantly less than the standard of proof required for a conviction,” the statement said.

The Travis County district attorney's office — which previously had announced plans to present the case to a grand jury to consider charges — did not immediately comment and scheduled a news conference for later Thursday.

Foster was killed during a night of protests and unrest in several U.S. cities. In the immediate aftermath, then-Police Chief Brian Manley said officers heard “two separate volleys of gunfire” and made their way to the crowd, where they found Foster with multiple gunshot wounds.

Perry’s attorneys have previously told The Associated Press that their client had just dropped off a rider when he turned onto a street filled with protesters who began beating on his vehicle. They said that Foster approached the car and motioned with his gun for Perry to lower his window. Perry initially thought Foster worked in law enforcement and put his window down, they said. But when Foster raised his weapon toward Perry, the soldier realized Foster was not a police officer and shot him in self-defense with a handgun in his car, the attorneys said.

• Hook 'Em 3