Surly Megathread of destruction and doom. [BEWARE VERY DOOMY]

clapclapclap

Thread for vids, pics, and news stories.

Seattle today:

https://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-northwest-news/2020/07/thousands-of-protesters-gather-in-seattle-in-solidarity-with-portland-fire-breaks-out-at-site-of-youth-detention-facility-under-construction.html

By SALLY HO and CHRIS GRYGIEL undefined

SEATTLE — Seattle police declared a riot Saturday following large demonstrations in the city’s Capitol Hill neighborhood and deployed flash bangs and pepper spray to try to clear an area near where weeks earlier people had set up an “occupied protest zone” that stretched for several blocks.

Via Twitter, police said they had made at least 16 arrests for assault on officers, obstruction and failure to disperse. They also said they were "investigating a possible explosive damage" to the walls of the city's East Precinct police station.

Authorities said rocks, bottles, fireworks and mortars were thrown at officers as they attempted to clear the area. One officer was hospitalized with a leg injury caused by an explosive.

Earlier, protesters in Seattle broke through a fence where a youth detention facility was being built, with some people setting a fire and damaging a portable trailer, authorities said.

Thousands of protesters had initially gathered peacefully near downtown in a show of solidarity with fellow demonstrators in Portland, Oregon, where tensions with federal law enforcement have boiled over during protests stemming from the killing of George Floyd in Minneapolis.

Initially there was no sign of law enforcement near the Seattle march. Later, Seattle Police said via Twitter that about a dozen people breached the construction site for the King County youth detention facility. Also, police said protesters broke out windows at a King County court facility.... (snip)

Seattle Police Dept.

@SeattlePD

Individuals spray painting on East Precinct at 12th and Pine and attempting to disable cameras and damage fence perimeter around building.

6:23 PM · Jul 25, 2020

Aurora, CO today:

Some of the police twitter play by play:

·
6h

If you are attending the #Protest at APD Headquarters today, you can refer to this thread for any protest updates and/or instructions. Please monitor the local weather, stay hydrated, and if you have any type of emergency, please call 911.

3h

UPDATE: There a group of people trying to push down the gate. Anyone who crosses the fence at the PD entrance is subject to arrest. Please remain peaceful.

UPDATE: The fence has been pushed down. Anyone who crosses is subject to arrest. Protestors are also shooting fireworks towards the building.
9:40 PM · Jul 25, 2020

2h

UPDATE: The protestors are no longer peaceful as they are now throwing objects, shining lasers, and shooting large fireworks at officers.

2h

UPDATE: We now have protestors that have broken windows to the courthouse and are inside of the building, attempting to start fires.

2h

UPDATE: There has been a fire started inside of an office in the courthouse. Protestors need to leave the area immediately.

2h

UPDATE: The protestors have torn down the wooden window coverings and are using them as shields. Others are still breaking windows on the courthouse and attempting to get inside of the building. Protestors need to leave the area or you are subject to arrest.

1h

UPDATE: The protestors are now using the sidewalk and are out of the roadways.

5 hours ago, clapclapclap said:

Aurora, CO today:

Some of the police twitter play by play:

·
6h

If you are attending the #Protest at APD Headquarters today, you can refer to this thread for any protest updates and/or instructions. Please monitor the local weather, stay hydrated, and if you have any type of emergency, please call 911.

3h

UPDATE: There a group of people trying to push down the gate. Anyone who crosses the fence at the PD entrance is subject to arrest. Please remain peaceful.

UPDATE: The fence has been pushed down. Anyone who crosses is subject to arrest. Protestors are also shooting fireworks towards the building.
9:40 PM · Jul 25, 2020

2h

UPDATE: The protestors are no longer peaceful as they are now throwing objects, shining lasers, and shooting large fireworks at officers.

2h

UPDATE: We now have protestors that have broken windows to the courthouse and are inside of the building, attempting to start fires.

2h

UPDATE: There has been a fire started inside of an office in the courthouse. Protestors need to leave the area immediately.

2h

UPDATE: The protestors have torn down the wooden window coverings and are using them as shields. Others are still breaking windows on the courthouse and attempting to get inside of the building. Protestors need to leave the area or you are subject to arrest.

1h

UPDATE: The protestors are now using the sidewalk and are out of the roadways.

Reads like it was written by a Protocol Droid 

2 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

How is this not going to be political since the protests and responses are political in nature?

It's like asking an Aggie to explain their traditions. It only makes sense to them.

God bless everyone on this thread!

2 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

How is this not going to be political since the protests and responses are political in nature?

Keep the “who’s right and who’s wrong and here’s why because my side is better than your side” out of it and merely show what people are doing?  There are plenty of bad actors to go around.  

Contemplate what people are doing to each other, the people that are being affected by the bad actors, try your best to be a better human being than them and love your fellow man.  We are tearing each other apart and no end is in sight.

If you want to get all stupid political and despise “the other side” then the CR has plenty of threads for you to peruse and you can participate until you’re hardened heart is all burned up and there is no joy left in life because “muh politics” rules your life and you can’t and won’t  lay it down. 

Not saying specifically you have a hardened heart but plenty of people on this board do.  

And that’s a shame.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I would like to think that being against the murder of innocent Black people is an apolitical issue.  If there are elected officials that are somehow for it, then yeah---move that to the CR.

Can we at least question some of the tactics being shown here?  I'm a staunch believer in the BLM matter movement, but what was with that first guy in the safety vest in the first Aurora, CO post?  We've all been driving down the highway and suddenly there's a backup of cars, so yeah---we have to hit the brakes. The protest guy unnecessarily escalates the situation by throwing his bike in front of the SUV and then confronting the driver.  I'm pretty sure the driver was right about to see all the people and parked cars.  Now, you've got an escalation, who knows who has a weapon, and now we've got a situation similar to what happened in Austin earlier this morning.  

Pro tip to protestors---just like somebody got wise in Portland and started bringing leaf blowers...one of y'all that feels the need the block off streets or exit ramps or anything like that...do yourself and your cause a favor, crowdfund $100 and go to Academy or Home Depot and invest in some fucking CONES.  Use the cones to block off the part of the road instead of human beings.  Drivers respond just as well to cones as they do to screaming protestors.  And it's a fuckton safer than standing out on the highway shouting instructions at them (that they can't fucking hear) and throwing bicycles at them.  9 out of 10 drivers are gonna see a wall of cones, stop, and turn around.  Or at least proceed extremely slowly until they know what's what.  

Anyway, the nation has proven that it got markedly dummer with the advent of the internet, not smarter.  Why should our protestors and our law enforcement be any different?  They're just people, too...subject to the same intelligence bell curve as the rest of us watching it all unfold.  

But doesn't that kind of get to the root of somethings everybody agrees on in America?  1st Amendment good.  Agents of the 'State' killing innocent people, not good.  

Well, I think that the only proper response to this thread is the same that we get when it's a discussion of cops: just a few bad apples, there's not really a problem here at all.

Right?

OR....maybe we should stand for the dual principles that 1) people who break the law, particularly with acts of violence, should face consequences, and 2) covering for the bad actors, on an institutional basis, is similarly shitty.

I'll suggest that you see a marked divergence between the cops and the protesters on point #2 (as might be understood -- cops have had decades as an organized group to institutionalize omerta), but I'll also note that there's more of #1 among both groups than any of us should be comfortable with.

8 minutes ago, Herpa Derpa said:

Yep.

Got me. My fat fingers do not work well on an iPhone 7 keyboard.  Besides I was obviously referring to the lake in Germany, Dummer. I walked right into that one.  Tooshay.  

why the fuck do people always run to these threads and argue that it's political?

If you want to talk politics around these events there's a board for that

If you want to discuss moderation of threads like this there is a board for that.

Posts after this one in this thread that are political, our team, your team, or discuss moderation will result in some time off.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

Hopefully this is not political. Just sad that this is America right now. How the fuck did we get here? How the fuck do we recover from this? Or do we ever recover from this?

Those questions are rhetorical, don't answer or everyone will start blaming everyone else. 

eflmyfaw8cd51.jpg

1 hour ago, crash_davis said:

Hopefully this is not political. Just sad that this is America right now. How the fuck did we get here? How the fuck do we recover from this? Or do we ever recover from this?

Those questions are rhetorical, don't answer or everyone will start blaming everyone else. 

eflmyfaw8cd51.jpg

She deserves it for wearing her mask under her chin

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

You see more and more where folks are pointing guns at each other, at point blank range, and don't back down. That scares me. You gotta be very angry to stare down a bullet when you could just walk away. And I don't see any reason it won't escalate. Somebody is gonna shoot somebody in the face.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, Parliament said:

You see more and more where folks are pointing guns at each other, at point blank range, and don't back down. That scares me. You gotta be very angry to stare down a bullet when you could just walk away. And I don't see any reason it won't escalate. Somebody is gonna shoot somebody in the face.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Maybe we can hire China to EMP them

China and Russia don't like it each other but they hate the fuck out of us more than they dislike each other. They fight each other over who gets what after we tear ourselves apart.

1 hour ago, crash_davis said:

eflmyfaw8cd51.jpg

With all due respect, do you remember American History class? Pullman strike, NYC Civil War draft/race riots, Bonus Army, Chicago 1968, Kent State? Hell, even Elian Gonzales?

A163CA57-7218-4F7C-9A29-7BC14544EE16.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 3

I’ve never carried a gun in my car before. I am not a CHL holder or a member of the NRA. I do have a few guns that I keep for home protection, but I am not one of those people that go to gun ranges every weekend and practice for shootouts. All of that being said, after watching the behavior of these protesters I am more likely to make sure I am armed from now on. I will not be left defenseless if I am on some road just trying to get from point A to point B safely and efficiently. Fortunately, I WFH now and don’t have much cause to go anywhere other than H-E-B and the liquor store. While I agree with the reason for the protests, these have gotten completely out of control. They need to come to an end so that a way forward can be discussed peacefully. The support for these protest was fairly unanimous after the George Floyd murder, but I suspect the longer this goes on the more that support erodes.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Armybrat said:

With all due respect, do you remember American History class? Pullman strike, NYC Civil War draft/race riots, Bonus Army, Chicago 1968, Kent State? Hell, even Elian Gonzales?

A163CA57-7218-4F7C-9A29-7BC14544EE16.jpeg

you missed one...........

The Miss America protest was a demonstration held at the Miss America 1969 contest on September 7, 1968, attended by about 200 feminists and civil rights advocates. ... The bra-burning trope was permanently attached to the event and became a catch-phrase of the feminist era.

These guys are super organized. Moving as a unit, mixing in with the protesters then changing clothes when they get close to the statue. Sharpening the PVC Pipe used to hold up the banners, bringing carts with weapons, using umbrellas to cover their movements from ahead until the got within reach of the police. 

Edited by MillerEP

8 minutes ago, MillerEP said:
Top video, forgive the bottom video. Looking for the top footage by itself. Not trying to be political.

Is the whole city on fire, or are they trying to burn down the courthouse?  It can't be both, incendiary devices don't work like that.  He made the news statement, so now he has to explain himself.  

"No 19th Hole, no peace!"

#PuttPuttRiots

https://nypost.com/2020/07/27/hundreds-of-teens-go-on-chaotic-rampage-at-memphis-putt-putt-center/

Hundreds of teens go on chaotic rampage at Memphis putt-putt center

These teens were teed-off.

A Tennessee mini-golf center erupted in chaos Saturday night when 300 to 400 teenagers began terrorizing staffers and smashing up the premises because the game machines ate their cash, Jam Press reported...

Spoiler

...The riotous scene at Putt-Putt Fun Center, at Golf and Games Family Park in Memphis, was caught on camera by an alarmed bystander and shows the violent teens go berserk and throw various heavy objects at staff because they didn’t issue the kids a refund.

The video — which went viral on Twitter — focuses primarily on one young girl, who helped kick off the stampede when she shoved a Plexiglas screen from the counter, causing it to cave in on staffers as they hid behind ATM machines in fear.

She then proceeds to throw two more Plexiglas partitions and rips out a computer screen before moving to heavier, more dangerous objects, like metal retractable belt barriers.

The teen is seen hurling the metal pole across the counter while a blood-curdling scream echoes throughout the space. Others joined in the tormenting by flinging napkin holders at the workers.

The girl then picks up another belt barrier to toss before exiting the camera frame.

To make matters more frightening, another person set off fireworks inside, causing widespread panic, a Memphis Police spokesperson told Fox13 Memphis.

Enlarge Image The moment 300-400 teenagers smash up a mini-golf complex in Memphis.Jam Press

And another 13-year-old boy was found pulling plants out of flower pots and throwing them at a black sedan parked outside the fun center, police told the outlet.

It was game over for the teens when police showed up and issued the aggressive gal a juvenile summons for disorderly conduct.

The golf center released a statement on Facebook the next day fingering thoughtless parents for the destruction after leaving the kids unattended en masse.

“Unfortunately, yesterday evening we had an incident that we have never experienced in 57 years of business. Parents chose to leave large groups of teenagers at our facility without parental supervision,” said Aaron Boss, the center’s general manager. “Some of those people chose to create a disturbance the likes of which we have never seen. We are very thankful that none of our Golf and Games family or customers were injured in this situation.”

He then adds that they plan to work with the police to pursue further criminal charges.

“We are actively working with authorities to identify those involved and hold them accountable for their actions. Going forward, all minors must be accompanied by their parent or guardian while at Golf and Games. Anyone that is left unattended will be asked to leave,” he wrote. “We are and always have tried to be the locally owned place for family entertainment for almost six decades. And we will always welcome those who choose to share their family experiences with us. We look forward to serving you soon.”

Edited by clapclapclap

18 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Is the whole city on fire, or are they trying to burn down the courthouse?  It can't be both, incendiary devices don't work like that.  He made the news statement, so now he has to explain himself.  

I actually went down to the Portland protest on Friday. It's just next to the courthouse.

32 minutes ago, MillerEP said:
Edit - Update:

Top portion of the video, forgive the bottom video. Looking for the top footage by itself. Not trying to be political.

So we can make very political posts in this thread, so long as we say “not trying to be political” after.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Helobious said:

So we can make very political posts in this thread, so long as we say “not trying to be political” after.

Unfortunately, the only way to get the source video is to embed the entire tweet, unless you know of a better way.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, MillerEP said:

Unfortunately, the only way to get the source video is to embed the entire tweet, unless you know of a better way.

It’s just funny you’re only sharing vids and pics from right-wing sources. You’d never dream of posting the police brutality vids celery & brisket shared, and they’d never dream of posting the vandalism vids you’re sharing. It’s why trying to keep “politics” out of a thread like this is pointless.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3

18 minutes ago, Helobious said:

It’s just funny you’re only sharing vids and pics from right-wing sources. You’d never dream of posting the police brutality vids celery & brisket shared, and they’d never dream of posting the vandalism vids you’re sharing. It’s why trying to keep “politics” out of a thread like this is pointless.

We could just all post our own videos and STFU?

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1