Surly Megathread of destruction and doom. [BEWARE VERY DOOMY]

clapclapclap

15 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Two protesters shot when Jeep drives through freeway protest in Colorado

To clarify what happened:  "A "protester" in Aurora, Colorado opened fire on a Jeep attempting to pass through the crowd which was illegally blocking the I-225 freeway. He hit two fellow "protesters" when he discharged his weapon. The Jeep suffered damage but the driver was unharmed."

It takes a real special kind of idiot to start firing with zero regard for the people behind the target.

UPDATE:  apparently he's an RA at CU and turned himself into the local PD.  LOL, after some of the winners I remember placed into "authority" positions as RA's....this makes sense....Jeeps tires slashed by people when they stopped.  

Ed5SIatUEAAdClv?format=png&name=medium

Edited by BabaYaga
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

18 minutes ago, MillerEP said:

No sound but saw a couple folks hit the ground. Were shots fired?

Also I give this crew 3:1 odds against the Colonel Hamburger brigades of fat incels open carrying.

Edit: accidental discharge. Perhaps the incel brigade has better trigger discipline. 

Edited by MissingInAction

9 minutes ago, MissingInAction said:

No sound but saw a couple folks hit the ground. Were shots fired?

Also I give this crew 3:1 oddsagaints the Colonel Hamburger brigades of fat incels open carrying.

They accidentally shot each other with a negligent discharge

https://abcnews.go.com/US/members-armed-militia-shot-breonna-taylor-protest/story?id=71990031

These are the same guys a three weeks ago in Georgia who were demanding they be given Texas, or some other plot of land:

Edited by MillerEP
  • Hook 'Em 1

One thing that's fun is that people protesting (though I sometimes disagree with their tactics) against racial discrimination and institutional racism, usually win out when history is written.  And the people opposing them (their thematics and their tactics) are typically discarded into the Wal-Mart discount bin of history. 

26 minutes ago, Lobo said:

One thing that's fun is that people protesting (though I sometimes disagree with their tactics) against racial discrimination and institutional racism, usually win out when history is written.  And the people opposing them (their thematics and their tactics) are typically discarded into the Wal-Mart discount bin of history. 

I agree that peaceful protest against racial discrimination change things.  It absolutely takes too long to change, but what is going on right now doesn't help imo.  I think the nation gets further and further divided every day that this stuff goes on. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Lobo said:

That’s a pathetic attempt at excusing ridiculous  behavior. “Yeah well, we fucked a bunch of shit up and ruined plenty of innocent lives, but we’re on the right side of history, bitches!”

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

I literally just got done saying "I sometimes disagree with their tactics."  Which means, I did not excuse all behaviors.  You read about as well as the people you quietly discriminate against at parties.  

That’s a pathetic attempt at excusing ridiculous  behavior. “Yeah well, we fucked a bunch of shit up and ruined plenty of innocent lives, but we’re on the right side of history, bitches!”

But here’s the thing...no matter what they did, you would find a reason to criticize them. The folks who oppose the “violent” protesters also oppose peaceful protesters. They always find some basis to criticize or delegitimize whatever they do. Ask Kapernick. Ask John Lewis (well, not anymore). Violence just gives a convenient excuse to dismiss them entirely...but you’d dismiss them without the violence, too.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

2 hours ago, MillerEP said:

115512264_3327044424023558_1197835418763313635_n.jpg?_nc_cat=109&_nc_sid=0debeb&_nc_ohc=1CZvsLT0pYkAX9VByrs&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-1.xx&oh=a084bcc61bf1bf47e9ea2638cf88be67&oe=5F4427E8

If you squint close enough, those papers, under the red stapler...on the right side say, "That's the last straw...I'm burning this place to the ground"  

Milton and Idiocracy warned us.  No salt...no salt in the margaritas...

Edited by Lobo

But here’s the thing...no matter what they did, you would find a reason to criticize them. The folks who oppose the “violent” protesters also oppose peaceful protesters. They always find some basis to criticize or delegitimize whatever they do. Ask Kapernick. Ask John Lewis (well, not anymore). Violence just gives a convenient excuse to dismiss them entirely...but you’d dismiss them without the violence, too.

Brisket.

Plenty of people support peaceful protest and denounce violence.
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3

36 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Most of America seemed really ready to listen until the violence started.  And I wouldn't say that John Lewis was "delegitimized".  He was a very big part of real change in this country and was elected to the US House of Representatives 17 times.  He laid in State when he died.  I wouldn't call that "deligitimizing". 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, Lobo said:

If you squint close enough, those papers, under the red stapler...on the right side say, "That's the last straw...I'm burning this place to the ground"  

Milton and Idiocracy warned us.  No salt...no salt in the margaritas...

Pinche gringo

Most of America seemed really ready to listen until the violence started.  And I wouldn't say that John Lewis was "delegitimized".  He was a very big part of real change in this country and was elected to the US House of Representatives 17 times.  He laid in State when he died.  I wouldn't call that "deligitimizing". 

That’s how he ended up. Not how it went when he was, you know....protesting. The majority of America opposed MLK, opposed the peaceful civil rights movement, etc. Just like the people who wring their hands about “violence” today also called Kapernick a price of shit, etc. Lewis actually makes my point kinda perfectly.

The whole “gosh, they hurt their cause by allowing violence” just rings utterly hollow when it invariably comes from people who somehow, amazingly, find a reason to criticize every movement for racial and social reform and justice. There’s nothing they can do to earn the critics’ support...so why should they listen to their criticism? You’ll hate them no matter what they do.

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

But those people are not protesting racial discrimination and institutional racism.  They are rioting to destroy shit.  

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

Except Occupy Wallstreet. That is the one time I can recall people were like, "uh. the window has closed, i think. can you maybe go get a job now?". I guess that's the difference between rioting for equality versus a glorified homeless camp because rich bankers exist.

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

So, are you saying that "non-violence" doesn't work? Your post sounded like "they won't listen when we ask nicely so now we are gonna bust heads."

What's next when nobody listens after rioting in the streets and burning a bunch of Autozones and looting foot lockers?

You are justifying that, what next? Justify hurting people? What's the next step in the escalation process when the powers that be will not listen to this, like they don't listen to anything before?

• Hook 'Em 2

That’s how he ended up. Not how it went when he was, you know....protesting. The majority of America opposed MLK, opposed the peaceful civil rights movement, etc. Just like the people who wring their hands about “violence” today also called Kapernick a price of shit, etc. Lewis actually makes my point kinda perfectly.

The whole “gosh, they hurt their cause by allowing violence” just rings utterly hollow when it invariably comes from people who somehow, amazingly, find a reason to criticize every movement for racial and social reform and justice. There’s nothing they can do to earn the critics’ support...so why should they listen to their criticism? You’ll hate them no matter what they do.

I won’t hate the protestors and in fact support them. And when he was peacefully protesting he made progress. And when he lead peacefully he made progress. It didn’t happen as fast as any one of would have liked, but it happened. The destruction makes it more polarizing. Hell, even Kapernick was changing minds peacefully. He had to sacrifice a career to do so, but he was doing it...peacefully.

So, are you saying that "non-violence" doesn't work? Your post sounded like "they won't listen when we ask nicely so now we are gonna bust heads."
What's next when nobody listens after rioting in the streets and burning a bunch of Autozones and looting foot lockers?
You are justifying that, what next? Justify hurting people? What's the next step in the escalation process when the powers that be will not listen to this, like they don't listen to anything before?

I am absolutely saying that nonviolence doesn’t work...but let me explain that a bit. Nonviolence by the protesters eventually works....because of the violence committed by the opposition. Civil rights marches didn’t do shit....images of hoses and dogs being turned on marchers did. Birmingham strikes did little...four murdered little girls changed a lot.

Society doesn’t change until it is made to feel very, very uncomfortable.

I’ve gone on record around here that women, children, and clergy need to be on the front lines, peacefully....where the police will beat, shoot, and gas them.

I’m also saying that most all of the folks who are criticizing the movement for violence criticized it before violence, too. They aren’t against violence (note that they’re not upset about the cops shooting people with their hands up in the face - violence is awesome...when it’s their guys committing it). They’re against the cause, and violence gives them cover to characterize their stance as moral. But take away the violence, and they’ll find another reason. I mean, Kapernick was practically spitting in the faces of our brave troops! (Even though a veteran and longhorn suggested kneeling as a protest to him).

Go dig through the posts of the loudest voices around here decrying the violence. You’ll see most of them as the loudest critics of nonviolent protests and statements over the years. There’s only one thing that minorities and less-favored folks can do to make them happy: shut up, and take your beating and fucking with a smile.

Understandably, some folks have said “fuck that.” Some of them have even exploded into violence. Maybe we shouldn’t tell people to shut the fuck up and take it for decades - that tends to lead to civil unrest.