Surly Megathread of destruction and doom. [BEWARE VERY DOOMY]

clapclapclap

9 minutes ago, Moby Ric said:

I'm sick of your fucking trolling and assumptions you smug fuck.  Go back to the CR and jerk off Hugo and your other anti American fuck friends.

no

Just now, Onboard 2.0 said:

Your post lost all significance when you said brother horns comments were a irrational they're not irrational

He said neither BLM nor the looters care about the "average black life". That's an irrational, emotional statement made out of hurt, not out of reason.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

5 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

no

He said neither BLM nor the looters care about the "average black life". That's an irrational, emotional statement made out of hurt, not out of reason.

Looters are looking out for their own self interests don't even try to say it's anything else. 

BLM. com certainly seems like a good idea, but I think the message gets lost when so many within the movement are promoting more violence, and unrest.  Violence is destruction of public, and private property so don't even try to say it's not because you've deemed it so.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Onboard 2.0 said:

Looters are looking out for their own self interests don't even try to say it's anything else.

The fact that they loot stores doesn't teach us anything about how they feel about black lives.

BLM. com certainly seems like a good idea, but I think the message gets lost when so many within the movement are promoting more violence, and unrest.  Violence is destruction of public, and private property so don't even try to say it's not because you've deemed it so.

Again, what does any of this have to do with whether or not they care about black lives?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

3 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

It's been hijacked by Anarchists and Marxists.  This is not even debatable at this point.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

no

I was told that BLM only cared for police on black violence. So they don't care unless police is involved.

1 minute ago, BabaYaga said:

It's been hijacked by Anarchists and Marxists.  This is not even debatable at this point.

When we accept that BLM is a movement, not just a single organization with a membership roll (there ARE such things, but they are not uniform and universal), here are millions of people in this country who are an active part of the "Black Lives Matter" movement -- from marching and protesting to seeking change in policies from elected leaders to contributing financially to minority causes consistent with the movement, etc.......and that ENTIRE movement has been 'hijacked by Anarchists and Marxists?"

Come on.  That's just the answer you WANT, so you can disregard it altogether, and not have to pay the issue any more mind.  "Sorry, black folks, I mean, you MIGHT have had a point, but now, LA LA LA I can't hear you, because some bad people smashed windows and shit while complaining about the same stuff you are.  So we're going to keep things as they were.  Wait, actually, we're going to make the cops WORSE, and give them MORE weapons and teargas and shit.  Serves you right."

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

I was told that BLM only cared for police on black violence. So they don't care unless police is involved.

Well, that's a flat-out lie, but other than that, sure.  For example, here's an organization that is SUPER involved in racial justice and the BLM movement in the Austin area: https://austinjustice.org/

There's plenty of discussion of problems with policing, but there's a shitload more.  Just one example:

The Complete Communities Initiative begins with two central questions:

1) How can we undo the legacy of segregation in Austin?
2) How can we heal as a community?

This initiative will involve a sustained effort to listen to those in our communities that have been most impacted by segregation and displacement, equipping them with the tools needed to engage in the ongoing housing conversation, make informed choices, and hold elected officials accountable. Through this process, we intend to provide the city with policy proposals that can move us closer to resolving the above stated questions.

What Makes a Complete Community ?

• Complete communities value all of their members.
  • Complete communities do not displace people in the interest of profit margins.
  • Complete communities do not endorse policies that lead to generations of economic segregation.
  • Complete communities allow people the freedom to choose where to live, but do not free them from responsibilities to their neighbors or to the communities they have moved into: a complete community values its legacies.

What does a complete community look like? (Think about it). It will be our task to dream this community together. And together, it will be our responsibility to build.

So, I mean, other than the narrative of "the BLM movement is anarchists and marxists who only care about police issues" is flat-out false garbage, but it SURE does provide a convenient excuse to delegitimize and ignore the movement as a whole, sure, you're spot-on.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

When we accept that BLM is a movement, not just a single organization with a membership roll (there ARE such things, but they are not uniform and universal), here are millions of people in this country who are an active part of the "Black Lives Matter" movement -- from marching and protesting to seeking change in policies from elected leaders to contributing financially to minority causes consistent with the movement, etc.......and that ENTIRE movement has been 'hijacked by Anarchists and Marxists?"

Come on.  That's just the answer you WANT, so you can disregard it altogether, and not have to pay the issue any more mind.  "Sorry, black folks, I mean, you MIGHT have had a point, but now, LA LA LA I can't hear you, because some bad people smashed windows and shit while complaining about the same stuff you are.  So we're going to keep things as they were.  Wait, actually, we're going to make the cops WORSE, and give them MORE weapons and teargas and shit.  Serves you right."

This is not meant to de-legitimize the original intent, but serve as a warning that it is not acceptable to stand by while cities burn and businesses are destroyed because they are fearful that they will face a backlash that they don't subscribe to the sentiment that the lives of black people in fact do matter.  Which is exactly what is happening in many areas.  

You don't get to burn down people's businesses and confront them when they push back and say FUCK YOU, you must hate black people.  

Yeah, don't take my word for it.  Beyond the two founders admitting they are Marxist, maybe some prominent leaders in the black community saying the same thing.

In the UK

Tyler Perry

There are dozens more.  This ins't some glib sentiment you can you summarily dismiss any more.  More and more black voices are being raised that the original message is being lost and the entire movement has been politicized and weaponized and the very communities that need help the most are the one's being terrorized by a spike in violence and mayhem.

“But lately, I’ve been very, very concerned that the message is being hijacked by some other groups or political ads and parties that are trying to stop the message of what we’re asking for here [is] police reform, right?” Perry continued. “So, yeah, I was, but I’m worried now because of what I’m seeing.”

This is not meant to de-legitimize the original intent, but serve as a warning that it is not acceptable to stand by while cities burn and businesses are destroyed because they are fearful that they will face a backlash that they don't subscribe to the sentiment that the lives of black people in fact do matter.  Which is exactly what is happening in many areas.  

You don't get to burn down people's businesses and confront them when they push back and say FUCK YOU, you must hate black people.  

Yeah, don't take my word for it.  Beyond the two founders admitting they are Marxist, maybe some prominent leaders in the black community saying the same thing.

In the UK

Tyler Perry

There are dozens more.  This ins't some glib sentiment you can you summarily dismiss any more.  More and more black voices are being raised that the original message is being lost and the entire movement has been politicized and weaponized and the very communities that need help the most are the one's being terrorized by a spike in violence and mayhem.

.....all of which serves your original goal perfectly.  "Sorry, black folks -- maybe you might have had a point, but now I ignore you.  And I'm actually going to up-arm the cops."

You give literally zero shits about the literally millions of people who have been and continue to work, peacefully, to advance BLM movement goals.  It's all perfect, really.  Oh, and it's exactly the script that has been written and followed for decades.  You're saying not a single thing that wasn't said to deligitimize MLK and the Civil Rights movement.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Beyond the two founders admitting they are Marxist

Black Lives Matter is not a group. Literally it's a statement saying that the lives of black people are meaningful and should not be viewed as less-important than white lives. Figuratively it's a movement around which a lot of individuals and actual organizations have coalesced to advocate for progressive change in protecting the rights of black people. 

There is no President of Black Lives Matter. Stop thinking it's a monolith. There are different individuals/factions with different ideas and opinions on how to best progress the common goals forward. 

• Hook 'Em 2

25 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

.....all of which serves your original goal perfectly.  "Sorry, black folks -- maybe you might have had a point, but now I ignore you.  And I'm actually going to up-arm the cops."

You give literally zero shits about the literally millions of people who have been and continue to work, peacefully, to advance BLM movement goals.  It's all perfect, really.  Oh, and it's exactly the script that has been written and followed for decades.  You're saying not a single thing that wasn't said to deligitimize MLK and the Civil Rights movement.

Fuck you and your self-servicing bullshit.  I do care, which is the goddamn point.  I care that the message is being de-legitimized by radical leftists (as echoed by countless leaders in the black community).  I care that these very communities that need help the most are the ones most impacted by the rise in violence and crime.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

There is no President of Black Lives Matter. Stop thinking it's a monolith. There are different individuals/factions with different ideas and opinions on how to best progress the common goals forward. 

No shit.  Notice I said founders.  Yet of course they have a centralized website and sophisticated funding mechanisms.  But again, the point is these smaller fringe groups are painting the entire group in such a negative light.  Be intellectually honest, when someone says "black lives matter", do you think their first thought goes to the marches nobody covers anymore, or the 70+ days of looting, rioting, and destruction up and down the West Coast?  These days, it's the latter.  

Just now, BabaYaga said:

Fuck you and your self-servicing bullshit.  I do care, which is the goddamn point.  I care that the message is being de-legitimized by radical leftists (as echoed by countless leaders in the black community).  I care that these very communities that need help the most are the ones most impacted by the rise in violence and crime.  

1 -- bullshit.

2 -- BLM is not a single organization with a "president" -- some people incorporated a "chapter," many did not.  Many EXISTING organizations like the AJC are an integral part of the BLM movement.

And further, it doesn't make a shit whether they are leftist, rightist, marxist, republican -- if they support and advance elements of the movement (like funding mental health care, as one example), then the policy either has merit or it doesn't.  Although, yeah, when you're dealing with a policy issue opposing fascist, oppressive policing, we should PROBABLY expect that the movement is going to be heavily populated by people on the left side of the spectrum.  Which, again, gives you the excuse you need to disregard it completely.  Which is what you want.  Again, for the dozenth time, everything your saying is EXACTLY what was said to delegitimize MLK etc.  Same song, new verse.

• Hook 'Em 1

Again, for the dozenth time, everything your saying is EXACTLY what was said to delegitimize MLK etc.  Same song, new verse.

I'm not the one saying it.  Jesus you get fucking stuck on a point and you are like a goddamn broken record.  I gave you two prominent leaders in the black community across two continents and their direct quotes that the original message is being hijacked and politicized.  In Seattle, leaders of the African American Community Advisory Council tore into these Antifa/CHAZ dipshits.  Her exact quote:

Those women also stated that protest’s core belief has been lost.

“The thing is, you have hijacked this! You have taken the meaning away!”

I gave you Tyler Perry's quote.  The most successful black film maker in history.  

BLM leader quits

“For me, it was a question of integrity,” Turner explained, saying Black Lives Matter had been “hijacked.” 

3 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

No shit.  Notice I said founders.  Yet of course they have a centralized website and sophisticated funding mechanisms.  But again, the point is these smaller fringe groups are painting the entire group in such a negative light.  Be intellectually honest, when someone says "black lives matter", do you think their first thought goes to the marches nobody covers anymore, or the 70+ days of looting, rioting, and destruction up and down the West Coast?  These days, it's the latter.  

Founders of what? How can there be a founder of an idea? 

I agree that the various groups leading the BLM movement are going to have to do a better job of disassociating themselves from the relatively small number of anarchists and looters. At this point the looting is detrimental to the movement and the bullshit can no longer be dismissed with a "if you care more about property damage than black lives then that's the problem." While it's true, you can't continue to dismiss criticism by falling back on that very obvious point.

And yet, at the end of the day, I care a whole helluva lot more about the livelihood of black Americans than I do about an insured Sunglass Hut getting smashed it.

I'm not the one saying it.  Jesus you get fucking stuck on a point and you are like a goddamn broken record.  I gave you two prominent leaders in the black community across two continents and their direct quotes that the original message is being hijacked and politicized.  In Seattle, leaders of the African American Community Advisory Council tore into these Antifa/CHAZ dipshits.  Her exact quote:

I gave you Tyler Perry's quote.  The most successful black film maker in history.  

BLM leader quits

And those are the only messages you hear, and the only ones you amplify.

Millions of voices raised.....and you hear.....two.  Who say what you want to hear.  Which allows you to dismiss/silence all other voices.

Millions of voices raised.....and you hear.....two.  Who say what you want to hear.  Which allows you to dismiss/silence all other voices.

Like a fucking broken record....

3 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

Founders of what? How can there be a founder of an idea? 

I agree that the various groups leading the BLM movement are going to have to do a better job of disassociating themselves from the relatively small number of anarchists and looters. At this point the looting is detrimental to the movement and the bullshit can no longer be dismissed with a "if you care more about property damage than black lives then that's the problem." While it's true, you can't continue to dismiss criticism by falling back on that very obvious point.

And yet, at the end of the day, I care a whole helluva lot more about the livelihood of black Americans than I do about an insured Sunglass Hut getting smashed it.

I know.  Let's ask them.

Co-founders

2 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

I know.  Let's ask them.

Co-founders

OF. A SINGLE.  INCORPORATED.  ENTITY.

It's like you're pointing to the founders of "people who love America" by pointing to an entity incorporated by two guys in Alabama called "People who Love America Inc."  Two people.  One single entity.  Ignoring the millions of people, and hundreds of entities involved in the movement.

Broken record indeed.

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

Well, that's a flat-out lie, but other than that, sure.  For example, here's an organization that is SUPER involved in racial justice and the BLM movement in the Austin area: https://austinjustice.org/

There's plenty of discussion of problems with policing, but there's a shitload more.  Just one example:

So, I mean, other than the narrative of "the BLM movement is anarchists and marxists who only care about police issues" is flat-out false garbage, but it SURE does provide a convenient excuse to delegitimize and ignore the movement as a whole, sure, you're spot-on.

Told so by BT, Huck, and F250. 

5 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

Told so by BT, Huck, and F250. 

Yes, that was the impetus for the current movement getting momentum.....but almost every organization and community group involved with the current movement has multiple elements to what they are doing.  This is akin to the old "why don't these community leaders address black-on-black violence?" escape clause -- and it doesn't matter how many times we pull up examples of them doing just that (and you know, one of the key ways to do that is to provide community stability and prosperity, educational opportunities, all that shit that people like the AJC are and have been working towards).....y'all still just dismiss them.

Protest peacefully!  (kneeling at football game) NOT LIKE THAT!

And when they do protest, you get to dismiss an entire, multi-million person movement when the bad elements made up of literally a tiny percentage of the whole inevitable commit acts of violence.

There is no way for black people to win in this country.  There just isn't.  They have to do everything PERFECTLY, or else they should just be shut out entirely as "illegitimate."  Fuck, it's the same bullshit double standard that we saw in the "literacy tests" pre-voting rights act:

In Mississippi, applicants were required to transcribe and interpret a section of the state constitution and write an essay on the responsibilities of citizenship. Registration officials selected the questions and interpreted the answers, effectively choosing which applicants to pass and which to fail.

Just be honest - there is no "right answer" that a shat-upon race can give you.

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

Don’t you understand that that’s what you’re doing to the police? 90% of cops aren’t racist assholes but you see them all the same way. Get rid of the shitty cops, get rid of the “protesters” hijacking the message and looting.

The difference between you and everyone else on here is that everyone else isn’t defending the shitty cops but you always show up to defend the criminals rioting.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Billy Pilgrim said:

Don’t you understand that that’s what you’re doing to the police? 90% of cops aren’t racist assholes but you see them all the same way. Get rid of the shitty cops, get rid of the “protesters” hijacking the message and looting.

The difference between you and everyone else on here is that everyone else isn’t defending the shitty cops but you always show up to defend the criminals rioting.

Your analogy falls to shit by ignoring the one point that matters: Say 10% of cops are shitty.  That's a problem.  But the other 90% cover for them, protect them, and will lie under oath to do so.  THAT'S the bigger problem.

Yet just from the current round of protests, we have more video and images of peaceful protesters acting to STOP or turn in violent protesters than we have of good cops stepping in to stop a bad cop from beating the shit out of someone. When functionally all people who are part of the current justice movement defend, protect, and cover-up illegal acts by violent rioters, then your analogy will be on-target.  But you and I both know that isn't going to happen.

And that's the beauty of the approach of the apologists here -- they don't HAVE to openly defend the cops.  They just get to delegitimize an entire, multi-million person movement, and then walk away, their work is done.  "Sorry, we WOULD have helped you address bad policing, but there are some bad guys affiliated with the broad movement, and I disagree with the politics of some folks over there as well, so, I'm not saying we have to stick with the status quo -- I'm just saying we have to completely kneecap the only movement trying to change it." 

I know y'all think you're being clever.  But you're not.  Again, pick up a history book -- it's the exact same arguments and path used to undercut MLK.  Like, literally to the letter.

Oh, and how do I "defend the rioters?"  I think that anyone committing illegal acts of violence should face legal consequences.  I HAVE noted that violence was the expected and natural culmination of the path we have been on -- that path being "ignore, demonize, and delegitimize all peaceful means to address the problems."  When you tell people to STFU over and over while the deadly problems they are complaining about continue, yes, there will be violence.  That's how human beings behave.  It's why I would much prefer that we actually listen to and not delegitimize the movement, and implement real reform.

But we won't.  We'll just dismiss the entire movement as "violent thugs," and keep doing what we've been doing.  Which is exactly the way you want it.

Edited by Brisketexan

1 minute ago, Billy Pilgrim said:

You’re being ignorant or obtuse if you don’t think people are covering, defending or dismissing the looters and rioters- yourself included.

Quote me.

I haven't defended the dog.  I've just noted the obvious truth - treat a dog like shit for long enough, and it will bite.

31 minutes ago, Billy Pilgrim said:

You’re being ignorant or obtuse if you don’t think people are covering, defending or dismissing the looters and rioters- yourself included.

Sure, lots of people do lots of things, but what are you expecting? What is it you want?

Looting is bad. Literally zero people here think looters shouldn't be subject to the law. Zero. Not fucking one.

What do you want?

19 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Sure, lots of people do lots of things, but what are you expecting? What is it you want?

Looting is bad. Literally zero people here think looters shouldn't be subject to the law. Zero. Not fucking one.

What do you want?

What he is saying, as I understand it, is this:

Brisket's logic is because [hypothetical fact 1]10% of people who make up cops are bad. But all cops are bad because they give cover and justification and excuses.

but

[hypothetical fact 2] 10% of protesters who make up BLM are bad/looting. But all BLM'ers are *not* bad *even though* they give cover and justification and excuses.

It's okay and good to believe the above, but if you are trying to play the big brain logic game above the fray, it betrays a bias.

Edited by Rougarou
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

It is an officer's job to uphold the law. So if "good cop" sees a "bad cop" break the law and does nothing, they are not a "good cop".
It is not a non-officer's job to uphold the law. So if a citizen sees another citizen break the law and does nothing, their status doesn't change.

Also, even using that logic, we have seen protesters intervening against looters/rioters and we do not see that among officers. What we see is outright enabling or silence. If there is video of one cop throwing another in cuffs I would love to see it.

Edited by bad_teammate
  • Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, Rougarou said:

What he is saying, as I understand it, is this:

Brisket's logic is because [hypothetical fact 1]10% of people who make up cops are bad. But all cops are bad because they give cover and justification and excuses.

but

[hypothetical fact 2] 10% of protesters who make up BLM are bad/looting. But all BLM'ers are *not* bad *even though* they give cover and justification and excuses.

It's okay and good to believe the above, but if you are trying to play the big brain logic game above the fray, it betrays a bias.

Except that the bold is literally false, see the bolded below:

4 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

It is an officer's job to uphold the law. So if "good cop" sees a "bad cop" break the law and does nothing, they are not a "good cop".
It is not a non-officer's job to uphold the law. So if a citizen sees another citizen break the law and does nothing, their statues doesn't change.

Also, even using that logic, we have seen protesters intervening against looters/rioters and we do not see that among officers. What we see is outright enabling or silence. If there is video of one cop throwing another in cuffs I would love to see it.

Shit, I am a "member" of the BLM movement -- I have marched, I have contributed money to the AJC, I am working on some specific education efforts that match up to the movement's goals.....and I am not a rioter, have not supported violent rioters, and if I saw someone committing mayhem, I would intervene if I could do so safely, and certainly would call them out and turn them in.  That's just me.  There are literally millions of us.

So, Rougarou, other than breaking the analogy by not applying the facts and contrasts as we see them, sure.

• Hook 'Em 1

This stuff becomes too personalized.

Some cops are bad, some are ok, some are great, but the system and culture perpetuates and defends the terrible behavior of the bad group. In some cases, it turns the non-bad group into bad actors as well. Whether or not the good cops are good because of their great intentions or bad because they participate in an oppressive system is an irrelevant distraction. The problem is the system and culture, not the individual cops. Of course murderous cops should be removed immediately.

Some people associated with the BLM movement are criminals, some hold radical political beliefs, and some are regular people of all colors that want the system and culture to be reformed. Focusing on the radical and criminal elements at the expense of the much larger movement only serves as a distraction from the problem that is clear to pretty much everyone. The criminals should face the criminal justice system though. They shouldn’t be ignored, but they also shouldn’t be weaponized to delegitimize the movement, which is happening pretty widely these days.

Competing whatabouts only perpetuates the status quo, which we all agree is unhealthy. The problem is the culture and the system.

Edited by Mole
  • Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, Brothahorn said:

I apologize for the thread shit..so I posted my response in the CR.

Blkpussy, let me know if you need help understanding what I said.

BT, I'm sure you were sincere in your diagnosis. I hope you're not a real doctor though.

From this old white guy, thanks for your perspective and point of view. I think it's problematic to have white people try and whitewash/whitesplain your own truth and experiences as a black man and how it relates to black culture, life and living in America. Especially as you aren't young, but have lived long enough to see a regression to a mean over time...

Edit to add, I realize that the guy you are responding with an inflammatory way is a black person.

Edited by Rougarou

Yes, you've nailed it BT, it's only happened here, on this thread, by the posters you've targeted.

Never happens anywhere else.  No large agenda-driven groups ever engage in the "false victimhood" you speak of.  Ever.

Glad you cleared that up for us big boy.

Edited by Cajun
  • Hook 'Em 2