Surly Megathread of destruction and doom. [BEWARE VERY DOOMY]

clapclapclap

56 minutes ago, VABuckeye said:

Despite his beliefs he was still murdered in cold blood.  Not killed, murdered and murders no matter what your views should be condemned.  Just as the stabbings and every other murder should be condemned.

ETA:  It disturbs and disgusts me that anyone celebrates or condones the taking of another life.  

are you equally disturbed and disgusted by the life the kenosha guard took?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

are you equally disturbed and disgusted by the life the kenosha guard took?

do you think that the founders meant black and white lives were equal when they wrote out “all lives are created equal”? there’s your answer.

took me a minute to realize when these white folk say “all lives matter” they meant “all” like the Declaration of Independence “all”. not the colloquial or English fucking definition of it. tricky, tricky, sneaky, sneaky!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 5

2 hours ago, bad_teammate said:

tumblr_inline_odilyxXBrD1r8b64s_400.jpg

Same shit, different decade.

tumblr_nnpq4jq5xd1rr5t33o1_540.jpg

this MLK cartoon was due for a repost. Y'all would have hated him too.

Nobody very few people support violence and looting. Supporting violence and looting is not a mainstream belief amongst people who support the BLM movement or are sympathetic/supportive of the protests that are happening because of the breakdown of law and order and the... not just continuation of historic oppression but the uptick that we're living through. A lot of you guys hold the position that very normal mainstream people support violence and looting. This is not factual. You point to organizing and contributing to bail funds for people arrested, often illegally and extrajudicially, for exercising their first amendment rights as an indicator of support for looting, violence, destruction of personal property, etc. You do this dishonestly and inaccurately. I mean, fuck John Lewis I guess. You point the finger at the people positioned against racism and police brutatlity/extrajudicial executions for causing the killings that have happened recently. Not totally clear which killings you're talking about - I'm not sure what new information has come out about the shootings in either Portland or Kenosha (the citizen shootings, not the police shootings), but if you are thinking about those, that is an interesting position that I don't believe is heavily substantiated by evidence. I'm sure we disagree on that. There's enough ambiguity and murkiness surrounding what happened there at this point that that makes sense on the micro scale. Contextually, it makes no sense at all.

But, I'm sure you feel differently.  I'd hope that we can agree that where we are currently sucks, and that it would be good to be in a place where police aren't shooting so many people, where police treat the lives of people of all colors and all apparent socioeconomic position with equal care and respect, where there isn't violence and rioting in the streets, where Americans aren't shooting Americans (or anyone else, even), and where there is more common ground for Americans across the political spectrum to get together and at least agree on what things are factual. Maybe we could hope for an end to the pandemic death and chaos as well, as long as we're being pie in the sky. Hook'em.

Edited by Celery Man
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, VABuckeye said:

Despite his beliefs he was still murdered in cold blood.  Not killed, murdered and murders no matter what your views should be condemned.  Just as the stabbings and every other murder should be condemned.

ETA:  It disturbs and disgusts me that anyone celebrates or condones the taking of another life.  

@Johnny Sack

53 minutes ago, clapclapclap said:

Yes, yes I see their point.  I mean a burned out, smashed store front gives you that oh so chic third world look that's so hot in American cities right now....

• Hook 'Em 2

51 minutes ago, clapclapclap said:

"[T]he Latin Kings and Vice Lords to the El Rukns and Black P Stones." have plagued Chicago for decades. These were the gangs that made areas of the city inaccessible to police and fire units. This is not new. 

https://vault.fbi.gov/el-rukn

https://chicagoganghistory.com/gang/almighty-latin-kings/

Obviously, we aren’t all going to see eye to eye on this situation. The next question is: what is it going to take to stop the rioting? What is the ultimate goal? What will be pointed to and it will be said that they achieved that goal because of the riots? 

Police reform and the end of systemic racism is going to be a long process. I don’t think anyone can deny this. Is the goal to continue rioting indefinitely? Is it going to end if/when Trump is voted out?

I know I’m going to hear stupid shit like “sorry if my struggle to end racism is an inconvenience for you”. I’d like a real, thoughtful answer please.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Billy Pilgrim said:

Obviously, we aren’t all going to see eye to eye on this situation. The next question is: what is it going to take to stop the rioting? What is the ultimate goal? What will be pointed to and it will be said that they achieved that goal because of the riots? 

Police reform and the end of systemic racism is going to be a long process. I don’t think anyone can deny this. Is the goal to continue rioting indefinitely? Is it going to end if/when Trump is voted out?

I know I’m going to hear stupid shit like “sorry if my struggle to end racism is an inconvenience for you”. I’d like a real, thoughtful answer please.

I think it should end when departments make actual changes to policy, and man power allocations.  I firmly believe this stuff will go on thru November and potentially beyond, depending on who wins, and beyond that this would get pretty political.

25 minutes ago, Billy Pilgrim said:

Immediate first step - stop the call of duty counter-protestors from the suburbs. 

Second step - weed out the suburban che' protestors who just want to watch the city burn. 

Third step - fog the areas with indica marijuana smoke and drop in cheetos. 

Edited by washparkhorn
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, washparkhorn said:

Immediate first step - stop the call of duty counter-protestors from the suburbs. 

Second step - weed out the suburban che' protestors who just want to watch the city burn. 

Third step - fog the areas with indica marijuana smoke and drop in cheetos. 

Let's just skip to the third step, but I'm more a sativa, and Capt'n Crunch guy.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Billy Pilgrim said:

voting/meaningful discussions on the police reform bill sitting on McConnell's desk would be a nice start: https://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2020/08/31/ravens-letter-police-reform-mitch-mcconnell-george-floyd-jacob-blake-latest/

but nah, we'll just continue to focus on the smoke while the fire, literally, continues to burn. some of the folks on this thread seem to think heavy-handed riot police and national guard response with roaming Kyle Rittenhouses to cleanup the leftovers is the better strategy though. 

14 hours ago, Billy Pilgrim said:

Man, an almost-reasonable-sounding post until the end where it becomes yet another anti-protester/anti-BLM piece of rhetorical garbage.

Super disappointing.

The power structures in America, looking at civil unrest:

1acaf43b61bd4b72b0956e0ce9fd12fc.png

Defund the police and use that money to invest in local communities. If the power structure's answer is "no" then... well... we get what we get. The people are demanding money be taken from the police and spent on community-building programs.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Billy Pilgrim said:

it will stop when cops keep covering for cops and are held accountable for their errors.  if i fuck up at work, i get fired.  if a truck driver gets in a traffic accident he gets fired.  a cop can kill someone and nothing happen to him.  my error is i accidentally deleted all of my company's financial date for the past decade.  oops, i get fired.   cops kill someone by accident - serve a warrant to the wrong house, shoot someone that's reaching for their wallet.  oops, police unions cover for him, still keeps his job, still gets his full pension, etc.  and this happens over and over again in city after city.  i believe if cops were held accountable there would be less police brutality.  they would learn they can no longer get away with it.

what's interesting to me is if you listen to a rightwinger, or turn it over to rightwing media - fox, oan, etc, you hear nothing but how terrible the riots and violence are.  then you turn it over to liberal media - cnn, msnbc, and you hear nothing but how terrible the cops acted.   they are both right but dont listen to each other and are talking past each other.    what conservatives dont understand is you can send in the national guard, tear gas them, beat them into submission, cage them but that does nothing to address the problem.  when they get out of jail, police brutality still exists and some other innocent person will be killed by the cops and nothing will be done about it.   until this is fixed there will be rioting.  it's gone on for too long with a blind eye and no justice.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, thrillhammer said:

they are both right but dont listen to each other and are talking past each other. 

Yeah. You've just nailed what is wrong with 99.9% of any discussion about politics. No one is changing their minds because we are all in our echo chambers. Not sure if any of this is new, but social media/internet have certainly made it easier to find the echo chambers.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Man, an almost-reasonable-sounding post until the end where it becomes yet another anti-protester/anti-BLM piece of rhetorical garbage.

Super disappointing.

The power structures in America, looking at civil unrest:

1acaf43b61bd4b72b0956e0ce9fd12fc.png

Defund the police and use that money to invest in local communities. If the power structure's answer is "no" then... well... we get what we get. The people are demanding money be taken from the police and spent on community-building programs.

Sorry BT- I apologize for sounding ant-protester/anti-BLM. That’s not the case (I am anti-rioters). There’s been a lot of vitriol back and forth and I knew that snide comment was coming.

I'm hearing reports that rioters are bringing bags of soup from their families to the riots.  

As the great Sean Connery once said, never bring canned soup to a gun fight.  

The riots aren't something planned by a central committee for the purpose of some larger policy goal, so asking questions about what rioters hope to achieve in terms of racial justice is absurd on its face. Their goal in rioting is basically the same as our goal in posting here: To be heard by someone about things we feel.

It's the job of the elected officials to look at what is causing the riots and propose/enact policies to stop the immediate effects and prevent future flare-ups. Those are the people we need to be asking questions about.

We can agree it's "a long process", but is there a process even started? Are the powers-that-be in this country even planning on doing something?

12 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

The riots aren't something planned by a central committee for the purpose of some larger policy goal, so asking questions about what rioters hope to achieve in terms of racial justice is absurd on its face. Their goal in rioting is basically the same as our goal in posting here: To be heard by someone about things we feel.

Congratulations for starting out the day with the most absurd post of the week.

Something planned?  Except those that have been bused across the country to which ever area needs them.

Larger policy goal?  It's stated plain as day on the BLM and Antifa websites.  They've made public demand after public demand.  While not completely uniform it's been consistent in it's message of reparations and defunding (which is just another form of wealth transfer)

A process even started?  Do you even care that in virtually every statistical category policing has gotten better YOY, or does that not fit the narrative?  Murder and crime rates.  Public relations and intensive policing.  Shootings.  Gone down from the hundreds to less than a dozen.  Room for improvement?  Of course, but this is utterly absurd to say "even started". 

Nor are all police departments the same.  Just saying "the police" is so intellectually lazy.  Varying departments.  Budgets.  Size and scope of the officer responsibilities.  SWAT teams.  Urban or rural.

• Hook 'Em 3

54 minutes ago, Billy Pilgrim said:

Sorry BT- I apologize for sounding ant-protester/anti-BLM. That’s not the case (I am anti-rioters). There’s been a lot of vitriol back and forth and I knew that snide comment was coming.

I didn't take your last comment to be anti protester.  You could read it as in support of the protesters. Sorry my cause to end racism got in your way..  He's always going  to take the worst interpretation of your comments so he can to argue with you about how you're wrong, racist, homophobic, not human......

32 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Something planned?  Except those that have been bused across the country to which ever area needs them.

CouncilEmailConspiracy-850x510.jpg

Larger policy goal?  It's stated plain as day on the BLM and Antifa websites.  They've made public demand after public demand.  While not completely uniform it's been consistent in it's message of reparations and defunding (which is just another form of wealth transfer)

BLM doesn't advocate or organize rioting.
ANTIFA doesn't have a website.

*~*~* everyone I don't like is ANTIFA or BLM *~*~*

A process even started?  Do you even care that in virtually every statistical category policing has gotten better YOY, or does that not fit the narrative?  Murder and crime rates.  Public relations and intensive policing.  Shootings.  Gone down from the hundreds to less than a dozen.  Room for improvement?  Of course, but this is utterly absurd to say "even started". 

Nor are all police departments the same.  Just saying "the police" is so intellectually lazy.  Varying departments.  Budgets.  Size and scope of the officer responsibilities.  SWAT teams.  Urban or rural.

So that's a "no", thanks :D:D

The people are expressing a general desire that is pretty easy to understand. Those with the power to make change should lead the effort to meet those desires to the extent possible while saying, "We hear you, and here are the things we are doing to try and address this." because they sought power and we gave it to them. It is their job to do that.

11 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

Imagine being able to hold two thoughts in your head at the same time. 

Cosmo Kramer Mind Blown GIF

The proof of the pudding is in the eating.

1 hour ago, thrillhammer said:

it will stop when cops keep covering for cops and are held accountable for their errors.  if i fuck up at work, i get fired.  if a truck driver gets in a traffic accident he gets fired.  a cop can kill someone and nothing happen to him.  my error is i accidentally deleted all of my company's financial date for the past decade.  oops, i get fired.   cops kill someone by accident - serve a warrant to the wrong house, shoot someone that's reaching for their wallet.  oops, police unions cover for him, still keeps his job, still gets his full pension, etc.  and this happens over and over again in city after city.  i believe if cops were held accountable there would be less police brutality.  they would learn they can no longer get away with it.

what's interesting to me is if you listen to a rightwinger, or turn it over to rightwing media - fox, oan, etc, you hear nothing but how terrible the riots and violence are.  then you turn it over to liberal media - cnn, msnbc, and you hear nothing but how terrible the cops acted.   they are both right but dont listen to each other and are talking past each other.    what conservatives dont understand is you can send in the national guard, tear gas them, beat them into submission, cage them but that does nothing to address the problem.  when they get out of jail, police brutality still exists and some other innocent person will be killed by the cops and nothing will be done about it.   until this is fixed there will be rioting.  it's gone on for too long with a blind eye and no justice.

Just wanted to quote a fantastic post.

what's interesting to me is if you listen to a rightwinger, or turn it over to rightwing media - fox, oan, etc, you hear nothing but how terrible the riots and violence are.  then you turn it over to liberal media - cnn, msnbc, and you hear nothing but how terrible the cops acted.   they are both right but dont listen to each other and are talking past each other.

It shouldn't be hard to acknowledge that both of these things are right.  But then you have to realize that this follows:

what conservatives dont understand is you can send in the national guard, tear gas them, beat them into submission, cage them but that does nothing to address the problem.  when they get out of jail, police brutality still exists and some other innocent person will be killed by the cops and nothing will be done about it.   until this is fixed there will be rioting.  it's gone on for too long with a blind eye and no justice.

I emphasized that not as a threat, but as an observation of a cause-and-effect fact.  You can bring in the 101st Airborne to squash all public demonstrations and unrest today.  Imprison everyone you suspect of being a bad actor.  Shoot dead anyone out after curfew, whatever violent, heavy-handed means makes you happy.

But then, not too far in the future.....another cop, emboldened by the fact that he knows that he is protected, and in fact, even if he does wrong, the 101st Airborne will show up to have his back, is going to commit another crime against a black person -- assault, murder, lying about evidence, what have you.  And all of this shit will start all over again.  If you want, we can do this shit FOREVER.  Lather, rinse, repeat.

OR......we could collectively realize that we have a culture of law enforcement that is anathema to the values of pretty much everyone on every part of the political spectrum: their authoritarian bullshit that falls most heavily on the poor and minorities pisses off the left.  Their authoritarian anti-liberty actions, which have done things like effectively gut the 4th Amendment, and have placed them above and apart from the Rule of Law, should piss off the right and libertarians*.  We should all have problems with what law enforcement is and has become in this country, and we should all want to address them.  Instead, we divide into tribes and accomplish nothing except extending the conflict.

* They SHOULD feel this way......yet the right falls into a "back the blue!" mentality that forgives law enforcement for every sin that the right SAYS it is against.  Sure, you get the occasional throwaway "sure, a cop who commits a crime should be prosecuted," but that's it.  No acknowledgment of the systemic and underlying issues that create and preserve the problem.  The degree to which the right and purported libertarians gleefully defend and ask for MORE authoritarianism has been the most eye-opening political reality of my lifetime.  I know, I was naive, wanted to believe in actual principles, all of that bullshit.  But still...it's a head shaker.  I really, really wish that we could be unified on this issue -- we should be.  We really should be.  If we want riots and unrest to go away, we all know that the path is to solve the underlying problem.  Civil unrest is a SYMPTOM of a broken society, not a cause of it.  Address the causes.

Edited by Brisketexan
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

here's a radical thought...

what if the white "christian" patriots hated the KKK as much as they hate BLM?

DismalMixedCheetah-small.gif

Of course they hate the estimated 3000 KKK members nationwide. They are just so insignificant that they aren’t worth mentioning. Their best PR is the white liberal. 

52 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

here's a radical thought...

what if the white "christian" patriots hated the KKK as much as they hate BLM?

DismalMixedCheetah-small.gif

Of course they hate the estimated 3000 KKK members nationwide. They are just so insignificant that they aren’t worth mentioning. Their attention nationally comes primarily from the white liberal who needs a boogeyman. 

Edited by ChickenSandwich

It's the job of the elected officials to look at what is causing the riots and propose/enact policies to stop the immediate effects and prevent future flare-ups. Those are the people we need to be asking questions about.
We can agree it's "a long process", but is there a process even started? Are the powers-that-be in this country even planning on doing something?

I already posted about a possible step 1 that is underway and the waxed poetically about what else I’d like to see implemented after that. Nobody cares. All you want to do is call people Nazis and racist and tacitly support rioting.
  • Hook 'Em 4

Are you a power-that-be? What you propose under the username "hate" at surlyhorns.com doesn't mean anything to the people in the street who are rioting/looting.

Neither does any of the bullshit you spew here daily. And if you haven’t noticed, you have convinced about zero people that are you correct. So why are you here if you also aren’t a power that be.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, Hate said:

Neither does any of the bullshit you spew here daily. And if you haven’t noticed, you have convinced about zero people that are you correct. So why are you here if you also aren’t a power that be.

You can voice your opinion, that's fine, but look at the question you responded to.

------------------------------

------------------------------

And look at your response to it. Makes zero sense.

Body camera footage of the March murder of Daniel Prude by Rochester PD was released today.

Just chuckling away, having a grand old time as they slowly steal a man's life.

----------------
When Vaughn covers Prude’s face with the spit sock, Prude’s demeanor changes. Though he continues to ramble, his voice begins to quiver, and it sounds like he is on the verge of tears. He repeatedly asks officers to take the mask off his face, and tells officers to give him their mace, handcuffs, and guns. 

After about a minute of this, while Prude is sitting upright but still handcuffed and on the ground, Vaughn and officer Troy Taladay approach Prude and push him onto the ground. 

The two can be seen pinning him down, Talady kneeling on Prude’s back and Vaughn pushing Prude’s face into the ground, while Prude repeatedly asks the officers to get off him. Prude’s speech becomes garbled and difficult to understand. He cries and makes sputtering sounds, but the officers don’t relent. 

“Relax dude, you’re gonna end up getting tased,” another officer tells Prude as he begs Vaughn and Talady to get off him.

Two emergency medical technicians arrive in an ambulance and approach the officers, who continue to mock Prude as he whimpers on the ground, wet snow covering his naked body. A police report says that officers believed Prude had stopped breathing by the time the EMTs arrived. In the body camera footage, one EMT can be heard asking if Prude feels hot.

“Do you want me to take his temperature?” Talady says sarcastically, pointing to Prude’s buttocks. The EMT laughs. Prude has already stopped moving and talking at this point, but Talady continues to kneel on the man. 
----------------

Defund the Police

• Hook 'Em 1