Surly Megathread of destruction and doom. [BEWARE VERY DOOMY]

clapclapclap

Just now, fattyflattie said:

How would I phrase it?

A man was pulled over and accosted for some bullshit reason.  Knowing that he would likely face charges for the firearm he was concealing, he decided it was a better idea to try and evade/fight with the cops.  Once the gun was in sight, all bets were off.  He chose poorly.  

Now lets review the choices he made, which unfortunately contributed to his unplanned life donation.  

1) carrying firearm (illegally) 

2) fighting with cop

3) running from police.  

Did the cops shoot use too much force?  Probably.  The problem lies in both camps for me.  Should he have been pulled over for whatever bullshit reason, no.  Should he have been carrying a gun? No.  Should he have fought with the officers, no.  Chicken and egg it all you want, very preventable choices on both sides could have saved this guys life.  But Racism!! is so much easier to shout. 

He was stopped because he was black.

Had he not been black, he would not have been stopped.

Had he not been stopped, he would not be dead.

13 hours ago, huge said:

Yeah those cops should be charged as well.

I don’t see any point in any of that. What the fuck was the end game?

How can anyone defend any of that.

Rochester police killing was ghastly. This nation is a powder keg ready to go off. Looks like something out of Abu Ghraib.

image.png.f4197d4221f5ea70f5974b08a1011600.png

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

What do you suggest for means and methods to deal with a person naked, spitting and PCP'd out of their mind?

Of what relevance is their nudity and sobriety when dealing with this question?

You accompany them as they come down and treat them as gently as possible to keep them and everyone around them safe. You never escalate things emotionally or physically.

• Like 1

that guy had the double whammy of being both black and (in that moment) crazy. they didn't see him as a human like them. if they did and had any modicum of humanity they would have treated him like a human being in crisis who needed help. instead of kneeling on his back or put their entire body weight into shoving the back of his head into the concrete while he died.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

Although, waiting around for extended period with naked dude in Rochester, NY in early March will end badly.

yeah they were clearly worried about frostbite and his well-being when they put a blanket on him (which I bet every single police car is equipped with, since you know, it's fucking Rochester, NY in early March) as they pushed his face into the concrete. plus the paramedics literally showed up right as he went brain dead. 
y'all wanna believe that most cops aren't like this but I bet you 75%+ of the cops in any precinct would have done the exact same shit. and that's the fucking heart of this issue. they literally fucking laughed about anal probing a dead black man they killed just moments before. ALL OF THEM.  

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

I've never done PCP, but I distinctly remember a friend dosing me with LSD once and while it was fine overall, I distinctly felt like two selves with my rational/normal self completely immobilized as other forces had control of my brain. It was a supportive environment and my friends were in full kind-guide mode and even that was somewhat scary.

I can only imagine how terrifying it would be to hear cops laughing as you feel yourself dying and your rational self locked into a prison you can't escape from.

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

I've never done PCP, but I distinctly remember a friend dosing me with LSD once and while it was fine overall, I distinctly felt like two selves with my rational/normal self completely immobilized as other forces had control of my brain. It was a supportive environment and my friends were in full kind-guide mode and even that was somewhat scary.

I can only imagine how terrifying it would be to hear cops laughing as you feel yourself dying and your rational self locked into a prison you can't escape from.

not much of a friend.

Some interesting maps done by the Star Tribune.

https://www.startribune.com/minneapolis-st-paul-buildings-are-damaged-looted-after-george-floyd-protests-riots/569930671/

image.thumb.png.eab0f3865f19dafedf5fd3c003e67840.pngimage.thumb.png.ec7eb43e23d233cbc25f8d454df124be.pngimage.thumb.png.a3aa53847d9c13a80825f1c398a5b92a.png

I also saw this in the related section, that really sucks if insurance doesn't even cover the debris cleanup:

https://www.startribune.com/skyrocketing-demolition-costs-for-riot-damaged-properties-delay-rebuilding/572269302/?refresh=true

Like dozens of other investors whose properties were severely damaged in the May riots, the Kim family was stunned to discover that the money it would collect from its insurance company for demolition won’t come close to the actual costs of doing the job. Most policies limit reimbursement to $25,000 to $50,000, but contractors have been submitting bids of $200,000 to $300,000. In many cases, the price of the work is not much lower than the actual value of the property, records show.

3 hours ago, bad_teammate said:

Of what relevance is their nudity and sobriety when dealing with this question?

You accompany them as they come down and treat them as gently as possible to keep them and everyone around them safe. You never escalate things emotionally or physically.

Accompany them? 

3 hours ago, Incredulity said:

What do you suggest for means and methods to deal with a person naked, spitting and PCP'd out of their mind?

Throw them in the fucking paddywagon.  Get them out of the elements.  Into a cell somewhere.  Jesus.  Treat them with a speck of humanity.

That action is like spitting on a waitress because you think they are beneath you.  Maybe they are.  But be the bigger person for once in your fucking life.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, immortal13 said:

I wish someone would accompany your dumbass back to the cloak room

Hey asshole.  Im generally not against you. But this Rochester thing.  Those cops showed themselves to be bad people and should be judged accordingly.

Dont yell at your enemies.  Tell your friends why you think that was remotely humane.

24 minutes ago, huge said:

Hey asshole.  Im generally not against you. But this Rochester thing.  Those cops showed themselves to be bad people and should be judged accordingly.

Dont yell at your enemies.  Tell your friends why you think that was remotely humane.

I didn't make any comment to the Rochester incident

43 minutes ago, immortal13 said:

I didn't make any comment to the Rochester incident

Ok.  How about you stop arguing over pedantic bullshit and tell us what you think about that Rochester vid.  Break character for a second.  

29 minutes ago, Foosters said:

Mental illness and addiction are not limited to this country. How do other first world nations respond to mental crisis calls? Do they send groups of armed police? Do those individuals sometimes end up shot in the street?

I would guess they do.  But probably not at the clip we see here in the US.

Another thing that rarely gets talked about.  Or maybe it does and I don't bother to pay enough attention.  Does the crime we experience in the worst of the worst, that exists other places, but not first world places right?  How did that come to pass?   Does anyone else have it like we have it?  And if not, can we blame anyone but the mirror?

I'm going to pour a drink

• Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, huge said:

Another thing that rarely gets talked about.  Or maybe it does and I don't bother to pay enough attention.  Does the crime we experience in the worst of the worst, that exists other places, but not first world places right?  How did that come to pass?   Does anyone else have it like we have it?  And if not, can we blame anyone but the mirror?

Not exactly sure what you are wondering regarding other countries, but here is a list of annual intencional homicides per 100,000 people by country, for some developed countries:

USA 5.3

Canada 1.8

France 1.3

Finland 1.2

UK 1.2

Sweden 1.1

Germany 1

Australia 0.8

Italy 0.7

Norway 0.5

Switzerland 0.5

Japan 0.2

^
Well yeah, we have more homicides in the United States because we have more cases.  You don't open up as many homicide cases, then you won't have as many dead people from homicides.  It's really very simple.  

1 hour ago, huge said:

The answer is 200+ years in the making and covers everything from criminal justice, penal codes, education, housing, media, and race. There's no easy fix

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

https://abcnews.go.com/US/blue-lives-matter-supporters-arrested-slew-firearms-kenosha/story?id=72808923

Two Missouri men were arrested on firearm charges after a tipster warned law enforcement the pair were traveling to Kenosha, Wisconsin, with assault-style weapons, according to court documents.

Michael M. Karmo, 40, and Cody E. Smith, 33, were arrested at a hotel near Kenosha on Tuesday and charged with illegal possession of firearms, the Department of Justice announced Thursday. According to the criminal complaint against them, they were found with a major cache of firearms and weapons in their vehicle and hotel room that included an AR-15, a shotgun, handguns, a dagger, a saw and magazines.

According to the complaint, the Kenosha Police Department advised the FBI on Tuesday that a law enforcement agency in Iowa had received a tip that Karmo and an unidentified man were traveling with firearms from Missouri to Kenosha. Karmo allegedly told the tipster on Aug. 31 that "he was going to Kenosha with the intention of possibly using the firearms on people," the complaint stated.

Text messages between Karmo and the tipster allegedly included a photograph of Karmo holding a rifle with a drum-style magazine in it along with the message, "This is the game changer," the complaint said.

1: NY's first COVID attributed death was on March 11th. By March 23rd when he died, they had 95 deaths per day (and 410 a week later on 3/30...) That's why he had a spit hood on.  Which is mesh and more porous than any face mask required by the state.

2: PCP in system. Excited delirium will play a factor, like always. Acute PCP intoxication?  Hypoxia a common adverse effect?

3: Officers reported to him the previous day for a wellfare check as he was having suicidal thoughts. Why was he not given a 72 observation in a psych ward? He literally asked for the officer's gun to shoot himself before they put the hood on.  I do know in wards, PCP intoxication/rages warrant chemical restraints as they can cause massive physical harm to themselves and others.  
NY didn't start requiring masks until April.

12 hours ago, XYZ said:

Not exactly sure what you are wondering regarding other countries, but here is a list of annual intencional homicides per 100,000 people by country, for some developed countries:

USA 5.3

Canada 1.8

France 1.3

Finland 1.2

UK 1.2

Sweden 1.1

Germany 1

Australia 0.8

Italy 0.7

Norway 0.5

Switzerland 0.5

Japan 0.2

12 hours ago, XYZ said:

And here are homicides committed by police, per 10,000,000 people:

USA 34.8

Canada 9.7

France 3.8

Norway 1.9

Finland 1.8

Australia 1.7

Germany 1.3

Sweden 1

UK 0.5

Japan 0.2

Switzerland 0

We are a sick nation. Terminally so, I fear.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:
20 hours ago, BabaYaga said:
1: NY's first COVID attributed death was on March 11th. By March 23rd when he died, they had 95 deaths per day (and 410 a week later on 3/30...) That's why he had a spit hood on.  Which is mesh and more porous than any face mask required by the state.

2: PCP in system. Excited delirium will play a factor, like always. Acute PCP intoxication?  Hypoxia a common adverse effect?

3: Officers reported to him the previous day for a wellfare check as he was having suicidal thoughts. Why was he not given a 72 observation in a psych ward? He literally asked for the officer's gun to shoot himself before they put the hood on.  I do know in wards, PCP intoxication/rages warrant chemical restraints as they can cause massive physical harm to themselves and others.  

NY didn't start requiring masks until April.

ok?