Surly Megathread of destruction and doom. [BEWARE VERY DOOMY]

clapclapclap

1 hour ago, hayden_horn said:

um, where did i call anyone racist?

this is seriously the currency of this thread. some weird false equivalency. never have i supported riots, and i am fairly sure i haven't called anyone a racist, though i'll own up to it if i have in the past 74 pages. i'll see if you can mine up a quote.

now if pointing out to you that athletics has been a platform against racism for fucking decades across the globe, in the olympics and international soccer, and only just in the last couple of years the nfl and nba makes you feel racist for being against it, that's not my fault.

We need a ruling here...I don't think you get any points just because you put feel here.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, Willfully Horn said:

While waiting on my copy of “Gulag Archipelago,” I did some more digging.

Politifact turns to a Hoover senior fellow for the following;

“Noting Cullors’ declaration of being Marxist trained, "one has to take that seriously: if the leadership says it is Marxist, then there's a good chance they are," said Russell Berman, a professor at Stanford University and a senior fellow at its conservative Hoover Institution who has written critically about Marxism.

But "this does not mean every supporter is Marxist — Marxists often have used ‘useful idiots.’ And a Marxist movement can be more or less radical, at different points in time," he said.

Black Lives Matter’s "emphatic support for gender identity politics sets it apart from historical Marxism," and the goals listed on its website "do not appear to be expressly anti-capitalist, which would arguably be a Marxist identifier," Berman added.”“

Perhaps learning more about Marxism will shed some light in the subject. As it stands, I don’t understand the difficulty in showing your work, and wonder why something is commonly believed when the facts are elusive.

Why, for example, is it still ­acceptable — and in polite company — to profess the philosophy of a communist or, if not that, to at least admire the work of Marx? Why is it still acceptable to regard the Marxist doctrine as essentially accurate in its diagnosis of the ­hypothetical evils of the free-­market, democratic West; to still consider that doctrine “progressive” and fit for the compassionate and proper thinking person? Twenty-five million dead through internal repression in the Soviet Union (according to The Black Book of Communism). Sixty million dead in Mao’s China (and an all-too-likely return to autocratic oppression in that country in the near future). The horrors of Cambodia’s killing fields, with their two million corpses. The barely animate body politic of Cuba, where people struggle even now to feed themselves. Venezuela, where it has now been made illegal to attribute a child’s death in hospital to starvation. No political ­experi­ment has ever been tried so widely, with so many disparate people, in so many different countries (with such different histories) and failed so absolutely and so catastrophically. Is it mere ignorance (albeit of the most inexcusable kind) that allows today’s Marxists to flaunt their continued allegiance — to present it as compassion and care? Or is it, instead, envy of the successful, in near-­infinite proportions? Or something akin to hatred for mankind itself? How much proof do we need? Why do we still avert our eyes from the truth?

The dangers of the utopian ­vision have been laid bare, even if the reasons those dangers exist have not yet been fully and acceptably articulated. If there was any excuse to be a Marxist in 1917 (and both Dostoevsky and Nietzsche prophesied well before then that there would be hell to pay for that doctrine) there is absolutely and ­finally no excuse now. And we know that mostly because of Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn and The Gulag Archipelago. Thank heaven for that great author’s outrage, courage and unquenchable thirst for justice and truth. It was Solzhenitsyn who warned us that the catastrophes of the Soviet state were inextricably and causally linked to the deceitful blandishments of the Marxist utopian vision. It was Solzhenitsyn who carefully documented the price paid in suffering for the dreadful communist experiment and who distilled from that suffering the wisdom we must all heed so that such catastrophe does not visit us again. Perhaps we could take from his writing the ­humility that would allow us to understand that our mere good ­intentions are not sufficient to make us good men and women. Perhaps we could come to understand that such intentions are ­instead all too often the consequence of our unpardonable historical ignorance, our utter wilful blindness and our voracious hidden appetite for vengeance, terror and destruction. Perhaps we could come to remember and to learn from the intolerable trials endured by all those who passed through the fiery chambers of the Marxist collectivist ideology. Perhaps we could derive from that remembering and learning the wisdom necessary to take personal responsibility for the suffering and malevolence that still so terribly and unforgivably characterises the world. We have been provided with the means to transform ourselves in due humility by the literary and moral genius of this great Russian author. We should all pray most devoutly to whatever deity guides us implicitly or ­explicitly for the desire and the will to learn from what we have been offered. May God himself eternally fail to forgive us if in the painstakingly revealed aftermath of such bloodshed, torture and anguish we remain stiff-necked, incautious, and unchanged.

17 minutes ago, Willfully Horn said:

While waiting on my copy of “Gulag Archipelago,” I did some more digging.

Politifact turns to a Hoover senior fellow for the following;

“Noting Cullors’ declaration of being Marxist trained, "one has to take that seriously: if the leadership says it is Marxist, then there's a good chance they are," said Russell Berman, a professor at Stanford University and a senior fellow at its conservative Hoover Institution who has written critically about Marxism.

But "this does not mean every supporter is Marxist — Marxists often have used ‘useful idiots.’ And a Marxist movement can be more or less radical, at different points in time," he said.

Black Lives Matter’s "emphatic support for gender identity politics sets it apart from historical Marxism," and the goals listed on its website "do not appear to be expressly anti-capitalist, which would arguably be a Marxist identifier," Berman added.”“

Perhaps learning more about Marxism will shed some light in the subject. As it stands, I don’t understand the difficulty in showing your work, and wonder why something is commonly believed when the facts are elusive.

so we can sum this up in "the leadership of BLM says the org is Marxist but the underlings might be a) a little bit marxist b) somewhat marxist c) marxist d) none of the above".

the thought that they aren't anti-capitalist because the goals don't seem to be "expressly" that is pretty funny though.

Edited by dcar00

14 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

my company has active pride and blm stuff going on. at the highest levels. huge, international organization.

Im sure they do. all large orgs have a VP or SVP of Diversity now.

Edited by dcar00

1 minute ago, hayden_horn said:

ec7be65fb275fbafb092b3bc3abba964.gif

i have no idea what you are talking about.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-wont-let-cowboys-wear-decals-supporting-dallas-police-in-regular-season/

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but it seems you're saying that blm isn't political. I'm wondering if Cowboys paying respect to the Dallas officers that died was political.

11 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-wont-let-cowboys-wear-decals-supporting-dallas-police-in-regular-season/

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but it seems you're saying that blm isn't political. I'm wondering if Cowboys paying respect to the Dallas officers that died was political.

this is why it is called diversity within HR.  diversity has to have a sex/gender/race component to it, you can slide the politics in under that.  Diversity folks will tell you all day they "don't do politics or religion".  BLM is about race so good to go there!

You can get by if you use the generic "we support the first responders!"

13 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

while i do not understand this weird whataboutism, the nfl in 2016 is very different from the nfl in 2020. the nfl has fundamentally changed its stance on this to go with the flow. the nfl was always draconian about uniform parity. i think the nfl was wrong to deny the cowboys that decal. that was an important local issue.

of course all those things are somewhat political, including the whole "welcoming the troops back home" thing the nfl has been paid to do. that was "okay political" whereas kaepernick was "not okay political." but discussion of a lot of this shit is fundamentally political.

but that goes to the heart of this very non-political thread.

53 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

so we can sum this up in "the leadership of BLM says the org is Marxist but the underlings might be a) a little bit marxist b) somewhat marxist c) marxist d) none of the above".

the thought that they aren't anti-capitalist because the goals don't seem to be "expressly" that is pretty funny though.

My understanding is BLM  is member-led, so a top down power structure is another issue yet to be confirmed. However, I wish we felt unified enough as a country to address a legitimate problem, and stop momentum for any under-the-radar Communistic plan that might be afoot.

I am uncomfortable lending support to something I really don’t understand, but I’ve been convinced there is work to do to meet our common goal: equal under the law. 

• Hook 'Em 2

23 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

haha what a loonie.  Love the "bet your dick is tiny to make up for those big ass shoulders" though. I'm definitely going to use that in the future. 

Edited to add - you just know this guy is thinking fuck yea my shoulders must look badass.

Edited by Enchubben
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Enchubben said:

haha what a loonie.  Love the "bet your dick is tiny to make up for those big ass shoulders" though. I'm definitely going to use that in the future. 

Edited to add - you just know this guy is thinking fuck yea my shoulders must look badass.

That was a pretty funny drop. 

1 hour ago, williemackgarza said:

Yes but all these piece of shit people are championed on this thread. People done lost their damned minds.

Where? The only people who post these people are those who were already hostile to BLM. No one who was pro-BLM before all this is coming in with these clips saying, "ISN'T IT AWESOME HOW PEOPLE ARE BEING YELLED AT AT RESTAURANTS!"

You guys exist in social media bubbles you curate to piss yourselves off then you come here to yell at the only liberals in your lives who you have access to once you get yourselves pissed off enough.

The CVS woman is an annoying idiot. The people screaming at diners are annoying idiots. What is it you're looking for? What do you want?

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Fuck You 1

24 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

So I was in Austin this weekend and there was a minivan, yes minivan, with Austin BLM shoe polished all over it. 

The best part, these fuckwits had a DARE sticker on their fucking minivan. 

So you are a BLM supporter while also supporting propaganda for the War on Drugs. 

These fucking people are the highest order of stupid. 

some of them were just smart enough to register an account here

2 hours ago, BurntEyes said:

Congrats to all these people that are pro-actively decreasing support for the cause. Doing way more than any neo-nazis could have. 

What impact do you think people have when they obsessively post, repeat, promote, and comment on every negative/controversial action by a pro-BLM person?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 1

11 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

I already know you're a dumb bitch and it doesn't need to be reinforced. :D

Not sure why any of you engage BT. Just ignore him and move on.

I deleted a post here that BT is now using to claim everyone is a white supremacist. BT if you're just going to name call please find another board to post on. 

-Blacklab

Really hit a nerve with that question, huh? You guys can't really answer or deal with it.

The purpose of obsessing over bad actors connected to the BLM movement is to try, even in some small way, to undermine BLM specifically and the movement for racial and economic equality generally. Someone getting yelled at at dinner 1500 miles away isn't news or anything interesting or something that naturally impacts people. It's just a way to activate prejudices and biases.

Edited by bad_teammate

1 hour ago, bad_teammate said:

Really hit a nerve with that question, huh? You guys can't really answer or deal with it.

The purpose of obsessing over bad actors connected to the BLM movement is to try, even in some small way, to undermine BLM specifically and the movement for racial and economic equality generally. Someone getting yelled at at dinner 1500 miles away isn't news or anything interesting or something that naturally impacts people. It's just a way to activate prejudices and biases.

Or......it's just that we know what BLM really stands for. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

Nebraska bar owner, Jacob Gardner, who shot an unarmed protester during a fight has killed himself.

Gardner's dad shoved a protester who shoved back, Gardner ran out with a gun, two people jump Gardner. Gardner shoots and doesn't hit anyone. Scurlock jumps Gardner from behind, Gardner shoots and kills Scurlock.

I know a lot of guys here either openly or quietly love all this violence against protesters and looters and rioters, but they cheer without having the risk themselves the way these shooters do. It's pathetic and disgusting to see.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 2

Nebraska bar owner, Jacob Gardner, who shot an unarmed protester during a fight has killed himself.

Gardner's dad shoved a protester who shoved back, Gardner ran out with a gun, two people jump Gardner. Gardner shoots and doesn't hit anyone. Scurlock jumps Gardner from behind, Gardner shoots and kills Scurlock.

I know a lot of guys here either openly or quietly love all this violence against protesters and looters and rioters, but they cheer without having the risk themselves the way these shooters do. It's pathetic and disgusting to see.

Shut the fuck up. Nobody here has cheered it. All anyone has that is that they would defend their homes, property, and lives. They may have even said they understood people doing so. That’s it. You make up more shit than anyone on this site and that’s really saying something.

• Hook 'Em 3

19 minutes ago, Hate said:

Shut the fuck up. Nobody here has cheered it. All anyone has that is that they would defend their homes, property, and lives. They may have even said they understood people doing so. That’s it. You make up more shit than anyone on this site and that’s really saying something.

No one here has ever asked another poster, "What would you do if this happened to you?"

It's always an unprompted expression of something internal, like rage or a desire to see opponents hurt or some kind of insecurity. The "I WISH THEY WOULD BRO" impulse. At a more passive level the constant inflation of the fear of violence and the need to defend against that violence has the same impact; perhaps even more corrosive and toxic.

When you spend your energy screaming at the world how violent your opponent is, what do you expect your allies' response to be even if your opponent isn't actually as violent as you say?

4 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

No one here has ever asked another poster, "What would you do if this happened to you?"

It's always an unprompted expression of something internal, like rage or a desire to see opponents hurt or some kind of insecurity. The "I WISH THEY WOULD BRO" impulse. At a more passive level the constant inflation of the fear of violence and the need to defend against that violence has the same impact; perhaps even more corrosive and toxic.

When you spend your energy screaming at the world how violent your opponent is, what do you expect your allies' response to be even if your opponent isn't actually as violent as you say?

Nobody here has ever said “hey, bad teammate what do you think” yet here we are. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

40 minutes ago, Hate said:

There are actually people in the CR that make Brisket look like a ball of sunshine. I clicked on the Ginsburg thread just to get a little of the pulse and it’s scary.

Yes the cheering for cancer to kill Rush Limbaugh thread tells me all I need to know about the people on the left.  Party of peace and tolerance.

Fuck cancer and fuck anyone who cheers for it.

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

On 9/18/2020 at 1:43 PM, BabaYaga said:

No he did not - he offered the explanation that many, many people see sports as an escape and outlet from the stresses of their day and do not want the intersection of politics to disrupt this.  

These blacks really should be more considerate about the stresses you endure.

• Like 1