Surly Megathread of destruction and doom. [BEWARE VERY DOOMY]

clapclapclap

39 minutes ago, Cajun said:

There's plenty out there, but it won't matter to him...

FAKE NEWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Rumor is there's actually two NBCLA reporters that haven't openly boycotted Goya on Twitter yet... please consider the extreme bias and where you get your media from sir!

Right-wing propagandists! 

8 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

No one said pissing your pants at the side of a crowd like a post game traffic jam

this is you being in your car people filling streets not allowing you to pass their dairy legally and if you try and back up you can't go to try and go forward you can't go anywhere they start attacking your car the dishonesty in this thread is unbelievablethis is you being in your car people filling streets not allowing you to pass their dairy legally and if you try and back up you can't go to try and go forward you can't go anywhere they start attacking your car the dishonesty in this thread is unbelievable

Speaking of moving goal posts, where the fuck was the bold discussed? Certainly not in the posts I responded to. I have said multiple times the certain actions could shift it from an annoying disruption to something terrifying. People aggressively attacking cars is one of those things. All I've said is that the mere fact that a protest (or any event) disrupts traffic and prevents folks in cars from leaving the area isn't terrifying. Had you lead with "and started attacking your car," of fucking course I would agree it is terrifying. But, the vast majority of protests don't end up like that, so please stop pretending that they do.  

Edited by Dahobbs

2 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

There are not recent incidents of people being stopped by large crowds at football games and being dragged form their cars and beaten.

Are there occurrences of protesters stopping motorists and dragging them from their cars and beating them? This is news to me.

• Fuck You 1

3 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Oh, for fucks sake.  There is the aspect of context you are intentionally missing.  There are not recent incidents of people being stopped by large crowds at football games and being dragged form their cars and beaten.  You think that aspect of recent events plays into the equation?

And that would be terrifying. It doesn't make all protests terrifying. That's all I'm saying. Let's not treat the outlier like its the rule. 

7 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

Dude, read. Three posts up from yours I challenged the exaggeration by Captainant below:

Touche Da.

I scrolled past those on my iphone and didn't see them.  I was out of line in my response to you.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

How the fuck is it not the same in your scenario? If I'm driving along and have no idea a game is about to get out, I could by trapped by a flood of people that "spill into the street" and "have no way out." It doesn't make it fucking terrifying. It makes it annoying. If the people flooding the street, whether protesters or sports fans, start acting aggressive, that could make it terrifying. 

How can you compare a post-game crowd to those purposefully blocking the streets for their protests without a permit. The post-game DKR flood of people are trying to get back to their tailgate or get in their cars and leave. As a driver, I can pretty safely predict and work with the crowd by driving carefully and slowly to get back on my way home. They are not blocking traffic and preventing people from getting to their destinations on purpose in a threatening manner. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

2 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

And that would be terrifying. It doesn't make all protests terrifying. That's all I'm saying. Let's not treat the outlier like its the rule. 

Again, in the CONTEXT of the conversation, the Omaha LE are seemingly initiating actions based upon recent events to AVOID things escalating as they have in so many other locales.  

2 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

How can you compare a post-game crowd to those purposefully blocking the streets for their protests without a permit. The post-game DKR flood of people are trying to get back to their tailgate or get in their cars and leave. As a driver, I can pretty safely predict and work with the crowd by driving carefully and slowly to get back on my way home. They are not blocking traffic and preventing people from getting to their destinations on purpose in a threatening manner. 

Because it fits the current narrative to excuse all the white protesters behavior. They aren't even remotely the same situation.

Which begs the question, why are staunch BLM supporters defending white protestors behavior? The vast majority of people fucking this up are white (just watch the videos), why not condemn their shitty behavior and kick them out of the protests when they do stupid shit?

Sounds like BLM has a major leadership problem.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

And maybe that is part of the disconnect here. I'm imagining a protest moving parade like down a street without permit, or maybe a sit-in protest in the middle of a street. That isn't terrifying. It is annoying. People aggressively attacking cars in an attempt to block traffic is something else entirely.  

Edited by Dahobbs
  • Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Dahobbs said:

And maybe that is part of the disconnect here. I'm imagining a protest moving parade like down a street without permit, or maybe a sit-in protest in the middle of a street. That isn't terrifying. It is annoying. People aggressively attacking cars in an attempt to block traffic is something else entirely.  

Which would be fine is that is all that has happened recently (and in many cases that is what happened).  The problem is, many locales have escalated significantly with violence and the destruction of property.  Case in point, the Aurora, CO.  The blue jeep.  HWY was blocked, jeep slowed, the "protesters" slashed jeeps tires, jeep bolts, people freak, shots are fired (from the crowd), striking two other protesters.  It was an utter shit show, that my guess the Omaha LE want to avoid.  Again.  Context.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Which would be fine is that is all that has happened recently (and in many cases that is what happened).  The problem is, many locales have escalated significantly with violence and the destruction of property.  Case in point, the Aurora, CO.  The blue jeep.  HWY was blocked, jeep slowed, the "protesters" slashed jeeps tires, jeep bolts, people freak, shots are fired (from the crowd), striking two other protesters.  It was an utter shit show, that my guess the Omaha LE want to avoid.  Again.  Context.  

Right, the context that the peaceful actions I described are what happened in "many cases." So,when  @Onboard 2.0 starts the discussion starts with a blanket statement that any protest actions that block traffic is "terrifying" I'm going to fucking call it an exaggeration, which is exactly what I did.  

Edited by Dahobbs

2 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

Right, the context that the peaceful actions I described are what happened in "many cases." So, @Onboard 2.0 starts the discussion starts with a blanket statement that any protest actions that block traffic is "terrifying" I'm going to fucking call it an exaggeration, which is exactly what I did.  

No, you two were talking past each other.  Nor was he using blanket statements.  He clearly referenced recent incidents of streets being blocked, then pivoted to your general point about road closures, which by itself is also accurate as Icon clarified

Another thing to consider here - There are terrified, terrible, reactionary drivers everywhere.

I dated one here in ATX for several years.  We'd be in the Costco parking (the one off Wm Cannon) and she'd freeze with the people jockying for parking spots.  Same thing at HEB.  Driving downtown, sheeeeeiiiiit.  I remember taking her to a UT Game tailgate downtown and she was freaking out as I drove through the crowds.  I was rolling a couple of inches an hour, but to her it was just too much.  Like a little yap yap dog, she just couldn't handle the stimuli.  Goddamned maddening.  

One time at Costco we were leaving and she pulled out of the parking lot into the lane that leads back to Wm Cannon and some kid was going faster than she thought right at my door about on a TBone collision.  All she had to do was give it a little more gas to clear the issue, but what did she do?  Stopped dead, gripping the wheel with white knuckles, and gawked as the kid came right at me.  Fortunately, the little fucker had good breaks and tread.  She did that kinda shit all the time. Panicky f'n broad with a giant hunk of metal at her "control".

Those kinds of people are all over the roads in ATX.   All the fuck over the place.

Hell, then you've got the road ragers.  I watched two guys get arrested down on Manchaca a couple years ago b/c they were beating each other's cars with clubs.  Well, one had a club and the other a tire iron.  Turned out one was a former pastor of some church.

There a lot a batshit crazy and just plain incompetence out on the roads, and that's without mentioning the fact that half of ATX's drivers give about 20% of their attention to driving because they've just gotta stay up with what's on Twitter/Facebook/Surly/etc.

Right, wrong, or in between, adding throngs of human bodies onto the streets takes this whole Hungarian Clusterfuck to eleven.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

LOL so the jeep in Aurora is your martyr case??

https://www.denverpost.com/2020/07/26/aurora-elijah-mcclain-protest-jeep-shooting/

https://www.cpr.org/2020/07/27/a-jeep-drove-through-protesters-in-aurora-police-have-identified-a-suspect-but-havent-arrested-him/

The jeep driver was actively driving around other vehicles positioned to block the road off - not legal behavior by the protesters, but it's not like it was an open and flowing highway. Before the jeep driver decided to drive around barricades that the protesters set up to drive through their crowd, it was a peaceful and non-violent protest. Police are currently investigating charges to bring against the driver.

That driver was spoiling to at minimum scare some protesters and at worst run some folks down with his car. I don't know how you can defend the position that he was just driving minding his own business, when the jeep driver had to take extraordinary action to even put himself in that position.

EDIT: some additional sourcing to back my claims of the jeep driver actively putting himself in that situation

Around 7 p.m. on Saturday, a Jeep was spotted on AIRTRACKER7 accelerating into a crowd. Just before the incident, witnesses said they saw the Jeep circumventing protester barricades. Another driver, who was driving a truck, was able to slow the Jeep by moving in front of the Jeep driver as the vehicle moved toward the crowd.

"I heard somebody scream ‘Hey, watch out for that Jeep’ and I saw in my rearview mirror a turquoise-blue Jeep was accelerating towards the crowd," said Sebastian Sassi, who moved his Ford F-150 in front of the Jeep. "He broadsided my truck, which slowed him down enough that it gave people the chance to get out of the way."

Many on social media have praised Sassi for his quick actions to slow the Jeep.

"I got a few dents in my truck. And I will have to get a rental car for a couple of days until it gets fixed," Sassi said.

He rejected the idea that he is a hero.

"Elijah (McClain) is not coming back. And I really want the focus to be on that," he said.

There is no indication at the moment that the driver of the Jeep had racially motivated intentions to harm protesters. According to the police statement, the driver's "vehicle began to be surrounded by protesters who were yelling and striking his vehicle." However, the tense moment was fueled further when a crowd member allegedly pulled a firearm and fired on the Jeep, missing the vehicle and hitting at least two bystanders. Those two individuals were sent to the hospital with bullet wounds.

Edited by Captainant

I haven’t been to a game in a while, but aren’t those crowds generally respectful of the flow of traffic and only move across rods when the lights are red? I get that closer to the stadium the streets are likely blocked off anyway and traffic (foot and vehicular) are directed by LE to get people where they need to go. If the protesters without permits would respect traffic and maybe only clog the streets when traffic is stopped at a light and then move when the light turns green they would probably be received more favorably.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Captainant said:

LOL so the jeep in Aurora is your martyr case??

https://www.denverpost.com/2020/07/26/aurora-elijah-mcclain-protest-jeep-shooting/

https://www.cpr.org/2020/07/27/a-jeep-drove-through-protesters-in-aurora-police-have-identified-a-suspect-but-havent-arrested-him/

The jeep driver was actively driving around other vehicles positioned to block the road off - not legal behavior by the protesters, but it's not like it was an open and flowing highway. Before the jeep driver decided to drive around barricades that the protesters set up to drive through their crowd, it was a peaceful and non-violent protest. Police are currently investigating charges to bring against the driver.

That driver was spoiling to at minimum scare some protesters and at worst run some folks down with his car. I don't know how you can defend the position that he was just driving minding his own business, when the jeep driver had to take extraordinary action to even put himself in that position.

EDIT: some additional sourcing to back my claims of the jeep driver actively putting himself in that situation

Oh for fucks sake, it was a single incident subject to wild interpretative various based upon there being a (D) or (R) on the ballot you cast.  There have been innumerable videos posted all over social media of shootings and driver being pulled from cars.  Take your bullshit somewhere else.

1 hour ago, Captainant said:

So are yall in the "we need to be more like china and the north koreans" camp? Free speech is dangerous and needs to be limited in the same way we limit how and where you can carry a fucking firearm?

Are you going to say how dumb of a argument this is?

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

Staunch supporters of the Second Amendment, that is held in such sacred and high regard, seem to want to limit the First Amendment because of protests. 

Call me shocked. 

I mean speech needs a physical weapon to protect it. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Oh for fucks sake, it was a single incident subject to wild interpretative various based upon there being a (D) or (R) on the ballot you cast.  There have been innumerable videos posted all over social media of shootings and driver being pulled from cars.  Take your bullshit somewhere else.

TIL fact checking specific examples used to support an argument is bullshit. If it's such a ubiquitous occurrence then surely you could provide specific and current examples in their full context to back your position?

3 hours ago, Dahobbs said:

Speaking of moving goal posts, where the fuck was the bold discussed? Certainly not in the posts I responded to. I have said multiple times the certain actions could shift it from an annoying disruption to something terrifying. People aggressively attacking cars is one of those things. All I've said is that the mere fact that a protest (or any event) disrupts traffic and prevents folks in cars from leaving the area isn't terrifying. Had you lead with "and started attacking your car," of fucking course I would agree it is terrifying. But, the vast majority of protests don't end up like that, so please stop pretending that they do.  

I went back and edited the bolded part after reading it again.  And again stop trying to compare post game exiting of a stadium where you're one of potentially 20,000 cars to a street filled with angry protesting people, and you could be one of only several caught in the middle of that crap show..  Intentional ignorance is a sign of desperation.   It's illegal to intentionally block traffic in the manner they're doing it, so stop trying to create a false narrative of the situation.

24 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

I went back and edited the bolded part after reading it again.  And again stop trying to compare post game exiting of a stadium where you're one of potentially 20,000 cars to a street filled with angry protesting people, and you could be one of only several caught in the middle of that crap show..  Intentional ignorance is a sign of desperation.   It's illegal to intentionally block traffic in the manner they're doing it, so stop trying to create a false narrative of the situation.

Most of the sports fans I see coming out of stadium's and arenas are carrying AK47's. Seems legit. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Yeah sorry, nothing peaceful about people blocking roadways, Fuck that noise. You're actually detaining people against their will when you do that. kidnapping could maybe be the legal term.  Once you force people to be part of your protest it's not peaceful.

Look at this idiotic nonsense 

5 hours ago, Captainant said:

Are there occurrences of protesters stopping motorists and dragging them from their cars and beating them? This is news to me.

One time Onboard was *almost* minorly inconvenienced because protesters blocked a bridge. Also one time his father had to wait for a seat at the diner while the police dragged away a very rude negro performing a sit-in. 

1 hour ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

What false narrative? You've apparently been arguing about some specific event involving "angry" protesters, but it isn't anywhere in the original post I responded to. I was not thinking of a situation of violent or aggressive blocking of traffic, but rather just a sit in or maybe a parade type event. I get where you're coming from now, but none of that was in the original post. I was responding to a blanket statement that "blocking roadways" was terrorism/kidnapping. I said you had a point, but it was lost in the hyperbole. I stand by that. 

Edited by Dahobbs

1 hour ago, Dahobbs said:

What false narrative? You've apparently been arguing about some specific event involving "aggressive" or "violent" protesters, but it isn't anywhere in the original post I responded to. I was not thinking of a situation of violent or aggressive blocking of traffic, but rather just a sit in or maybe a parade type event. I get where you're coming from now, but none of that was in the original post. I was responding to a blanket statement that "blocking roadways" was terrorism/kidnapping. I said you had a point, but it was lost in the hyperbole. I stand by that. 

What you stand by is people illegally occupying road ways, and impeding traffic, and creating a potentially dangerous situation. That you try to compare it to a post football parking lot traffic snarl shows how bereft you are of honesty.

EDIT:  Yeah fuck you to da hobbs. you're a dishonest ass who walked your comments all over the field, and couldn't defend your point with anything  better than post  football traffic keeps people in their cars comment. What a child you are.

Edited by Onboard 2.0
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

22 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

What you stand by is people illegally occupying road ways, and impeding traffic, and creating a potentially dangerous situation. That you try to compare it to a post football parking lot traffic snarl shows how bereft you are of honesty.

football game walking in street lasts at most 1 hour after the game and its pretty much around the stadium(San Jacinto, etc). once people get to MLK(or 26th) they are generally on the sidewalk or crossing.  some of the tailgates spill a bit on to the streets.

12 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

football game walking in street lasts at most 1 hour after the game and its pretty much around the stadium(San Jacinto, etc). once people get to MLK(or 26th) they are generally on the sidewalk or crossing.  some of the tailgates spill a bit on to the streets.

And you don't have to worry about somebody smashing g your windows, standing in. front of your car and not allowing you to pass, becoming belligerent when you try to move around them. But hey Dahobbs thinks they're the same thing.

So, let me get this clear:

1) marchers crossing a bridge in Nebraska = imminent threat of violence, have to be taken down by force.

2) marchers blocking a road and approaching your car = imminent threat of violence, justifiable to use force (drive through them).

3) gun rights protesters strutting around menacingly with ARs that are in position to send rounds downrange in tenths of a second = patriots exercising their sacred rights.

We absolutely have to fear all the protesters today, but we shouldn't fear play soldiers walking around with locked and loaded weapons that can kill a dozen people in a minute.  And we sure don't need to fear drivers going headlong into protesters....

im-85903?width=620&size=1.5

Brisket,

Just be honest.  You are unable to see the middle of this issue.  It's ok, but you are absolutely so skewed to one side of the issue that you're incapable of reasonable discussion which is honestly sad.  The problem with that is like most things the truth and the solution lies somewhere in the middle of this shitstorm.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, VABuckeye said:

Brisket,

Just be honest.  You are unable to see the middle of this issue.  It's ok, but you are absolutely so skewed to one side of the issue that you're incapable of reasonable discussion which is honestly sad.  The problem with that is like most things the truth and the solution lies somewhere in the middle of this shitstorm.

I keep telling him to run for Mayor to put his "aaaaaargh, garble,  aargh!!" to work but apparently its not in the cards.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Have you ever been to a football game? Seriously, people clog up traffic, illegally mind you, all the time. Shit doesn't move because massive crowds just take up the street. That creates a "potentially dangerous situation" just as much as a group of non-violent protesters does. What is the difference from thousands of people in the street because of a football game and thousands of people in a street because of a protest? 

I've repeatedly said the situation would be different if the protesters were actually violent or aggressive. That isn't what I've been arguing. I've tried to find common ground. You've just been ass, because apparently that is all you are capable of being. 

Edited by Dahobbs

7 minutes ago, VABuckeye said:

Brisket,

I actually AM in the middle of this issue.  That's how fucked it is.

If BLM protesters do anything other sit quietly....somewhere....not sure where, but NOT HERE, and no, NOT THERE.....they are an imminent threat of violence.  So much so that the authorities can legally use force against them because they MIGHT, at some point, constitute a threat.  I mean, that's literally what happened in Nebraska.  And that's what numerous folks here are recommending -- BLM protester approaches your car, floor it and be wiling to run him over dead, because he's a threat.

On the other hand, every single 2nd Amendment protest, which is literally filled with people carrying loaded weapons that they can use to kill me in a split second....are not a threat at all, and the authorities and the rest of us should just hang out and let them do their thing and not fear them at all.

I believe that when any person -- BLM protester, 2nd Amendment demonstrator, etc. -- takes actions that objectively and reasonably cause another person to be in fear for their safety, the authorities can and often should act to stop that person.

I don't believe that the authorities should gas and take out an entire group of demonstrators for BLM either when NOBODY has created an imminent threat, or when identifiable individuals on the periphery of that group are the only ones creating an imminent threat.

Just like I don't believe that the authorities should teargas an entire 2nd Amendment demonstration because one or two of those guys is carrying his weapon in a threatening manner.

The law, and rights, do not apply to groups.  They apply to individuals.  Bad actor individuals are legitimate targets of law enforcement.  Non-bad actor individuals are not.  I don't care what they are marching for.  If they are marching for Marxism, RIGHT HERE, RIGHT NOW!....that rule applies.  If they are marching for fascism, RIGHT HERE, RIGHT NOW, that applies.  The content of their cause has no bearing on the legality of their actions, or the danger any of them individually may actually present.  That's the "middle ground" here.....but it isn't being applied in practice, or in this thread.

Don't tell me I'm not able to see the middle of this issue -- I see it pretty damned clearly, and I see that most posters in this thread have zero interest in the middle.  BLM bad (the term "MARXIST!" has been mentioned dozens of times in this thread, even though it is, as a matter of law, completely irrelevant to the question of whether a person constitutes a threat to others), the protests must be crushed to dust, and any protester in the street in front of my car better be ready to be squashed on my bumper.  Have at it.  Y'all are where we are these days.  There's no path out of this. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

What is the difference from thousands of people in the street because of a football game and thousands of people in a street because of a protest? 

If the protesters are being violent towards people just sitting in traffic then there is a huge difference. It's why I keep asking for evidence of that.

If they aren't hurting people in their cars just sitting, then the only real difference is in the mind of the person sitting in the car and how they feel about why these jaywalking pedestrians are there.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

If the protesters are being violent towards people just sitting in traffic then there is a huge difference. It's why I keep asking for evidence of that.

If they aren't hurting people in their cars just sitting, then the only real difference is in the mind of the person sitting in the car and how they feel about why these jaywalking pedestrians are there.

It's about the THREAT....because somewhere, at some other place and time, some protesters attacked a car.  Therefore, all drivers have the right to use deadly force to get out of there.

The converse does NOT apply, even though we have actual real-world examples from just the past couple of months and certainly Charlottesville.....of anti-protester types using their cars as purposeful lethal weapons against pedestrians.  That in NO way justifies any pedestrian viewing a car driving towards them as a threat.

See, perfectly consistent.

55 minutes ago, VABuckeye said:

Brisket,

This is called projection.   Notice you only call out Brisket and not anyone on the far opposite end. 

This is what people do when they have no rebuttal. Gaslighting motherfucker. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

A month ago I was in an Uber that got stuck in a protest in Denver at 10pm. We had people streaming through traffic and trying to pass out leaflets to bring awareness to the cause. It was terrifying and we felt so threatened. 

not really, we waited and minded our business for the 10 min it took for them to finish and move to the next block and went on our way. 

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, Js1 said:

A month ago I was in an Uber that got stuck in a protest in Denver at 10pm. We had people streaming through traffic and trying to pass out leaflets to bring awareness to the cause. It was terrifying and we felt so threatened. 

not really, we waited and minded our business for the 10 min it took for them to finish and move to the next block and went on our way. 

Well goody fucking gumdrops.  Please post more worthless anecdotes so that we may all revel in your wokeness. 

Edited by Hate
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2