Surly Megathread of destruction and doom. [BEWARE VERY DOOMY]

clapclapclap

https://kstp.com/national/arrests-officers-hurt-amid-chicago-looting/5822199/

More than 100 people were arrested Monday following a night of looting and unrest that left 13 officers injured and caused damage in the city's upscale Magnificent Mile shopping district and other parts of the city, authorities said.

Police Superintendent David Brown said it "was not an organized protest" but instead "an incident of pure criminality" that began following the shooting of a person by police the previous day in the city's Englewood neighborhood. At one point early Monday, shots were fired at police and officers returned fire. Brown said a heavy police presence is expected in the downtown area until further notice.

"This was straight up, felony criminal conduct," said Chicago Mayor Lori Lightfoot. "This was an assault on our city."

Those arrested were expected to face charges including looting, disorderly conduct, battery against police. Lightfoot said that the city has activated a neighborhood protection program that will be in place "for foreseeable days until we know our neighborhoods are safe."

No officers were injured in the shooting, police spokesman Tom Ahern said on Twitter. Many of the businesses that were ransacked had recently opened after Chicago protests of George Floyd's May 25 death in Minneapolis devolved into chaos.

The unrest began shortly after midnight and anti-police graffiti was seen in the area of the Magnificent Mile, which is one of Chicago's most-visited tourist attractions. Hours earlier, dozens of people had faced off with police after officers shot and wounded a person Sunday in the Englewood neighborhood, located about 10 miles (16 kilometers) away.

Brown said after a crowd dissipated following that shooting "we are monitoring social media and we come across a post of a caravan of cars being prompted to go to our downtown and loot."

Along the Magnificent Mile, people were seen going in and out of stores carrying shopping bags full of merchandise as well as at a bank, the Chicago Tribune reported, and as the crowd grew vehicles dropped off more people in the area. On streets throughout the downtown area, empty cash drawers from stores were strewn about and ATMs were ripped open.

Stores miles from downtown were also ransacked, with parking lots littered with glass and items from inside the stores. Clothes hangers and boxes that once contained television sets and other electronics were seen — evidence that thieves had taken racks of clothes and removed them from the hangers.

"This was obviously very orchestrated," the Rev. Michael Pfleger, a prominent Roman Catholic priest and activist on the city's South Side, told WBBM-TV as cameras panned the downtown area. (snip)

Edited by clapclapclap

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/breaking/ct-chicago-downtown-looting-20200810-3zwa3b7zzrc5vdyb4qjqywrjvu-story.html

...City officials said the seeds for the violent crime spree were sown on social media Sunday afternoon following an officer involved shooting in the Englewood neighborhood. Officers shot and wounded a 20-year-old man Sunday after he fired shots at them while being chased, authorities said.

The man was taken to University of Chicago Medical Center and is expected to survive, Brown said.

More than an hour after the shooting, police and witnesses said a crowd of about 30 people faced off against officers holding a police line near 56th and Aberdeen streets. Authorities said someone fed false information to the angry group, including that police shot and wounded a child.

During a scuffle, one officer was hit with pepper spray and a second officer suffered a minor shoulder injury. Two people were arrested and a police car window was shattered by a brick, police added.

A large number of officers cordoned off streets in nearly every direction until the mood of the crowd cooled off. But by that time, Brown said, messages began appearing on social media encouraging people to head downtown.

The looting and vandalism began shortly after, with people streaming in and out of high-end stores. Some could be seen throwing merchandise into rental trucks and other large vehicles before driving away....

31774786-8611143-image-a-20_159706421342

Best Buy shelves stripped bare of bread.

Edited by clapclapclap

22 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

I think it speaks volumes that bad teammate and the mainstream media won’t call out these miscreants and looters and rioters, but Jesse Jackson will.

I don't think people should loot. Looters should be arrested.

I don't know what you mean by "riot", that's kind of an umbrella term.

All you need to do is ask and I'll tell you what I think of things. No need to make things up and be a dishonest person. :)

I mean, Chicago is the one city you really don't want to get started. That place is a powder keg and has the unique mixture of population/numbers, culture, and poverty to really kick off something very ugly and tragic that all these other cities don't have (Seattle, Portland, St. Louis, Baltimore) and make look like the minor leagues.

Once all these luxury goods and information is spread around the city this week, this weekend every two bit hood is going to be looking at this like a lick to be hit.

Edited by Rougarou
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, bad_teammate said:

I don't think people should loot. Looters should be arrested.

I don't know what you mean by "riot", that's kind of an umbrella term.

All you need to do is ask and I'll tell you what I think of things. No need to make things up and be a dishonest person. :)

How about people harrasing citizens at their homes and in public?  How about people defacing and destroying government property?  How about people marching down the street armed?

1 hour ago, MillerEP said:

That's pretty damn creative.  Adding that one to the zombie apocalypse repertoire. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, VABuckeye said:

How about people harrasing citizens at their homes and in public?  How about people defacing and destroying government property?  How about people marching down the street armed?

Nope sorry, that's their right. they have the right to harass you, stop your vehicle, block your car, burn your business.  

What the hell is wrong with you people ........ They're protesters dammit... they're good with people....

Unknown-1.jpeg

3 hours ago, VABuckeye said:

How about people harrasing citizens at their homes and in public? 

"Harassing" is extremely broad, which is a problem because you and I could be envisioning two completely different things and talking past each other.

Anyone breaking a law of any kind should be treated in proper accordance by legal authorities.

How about people defacing and destroying government property?

Anyone breaking a law of any kind should be treated in proper accordance by legal authorities.

If you're asking in terms of my personal moral approval, it doesn't animate me because the root problem we're facing is not, IMO, people destroying government property. I am more morally concerned with the underlying circumstances that are leading to the "riots", whatever that word might mean.

Again, as MLK exhorted...

-----------------------------------------------

And I contend that the cry of ‘black power’ is, at bottom, a reaction to the reluctance of white power to make the kind of changes necessary to make justice a reality for the Negro. I think that we’ve got to see that a riot is the language of the unheard. And, what is it that America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the economic plight of the Negro poor has worsened over the last few years.

I think America must see that riots do not develop out of thin air. Certain conditions continue to exist in our society which must be condemned as vigorously as we condemn riots. But in the final analysis, a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it that America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the Negro poor has worsened over the last few years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice, equality, and humanity. And so in a real sense our nation’s summers of riots are caused by our nation’s winters of delay. And as long as America postpones justice, we stand in the position of having these recurrences of violence and riots over and over again. Social justice and progress are the absolute guarantors of riot prevention.

-----------------------------------------------

Perhaps we could silence the riots tomorrow through overwhelming state violence as many here desperately wish, but does that actually solve things? Would we not just be setting ourselves up for a repeat of the same shit very soon? That concerns me a lot more than damaging/stealing things that can be replaced.

How about people marching down the street armed?

Depends heavily on the context. I'm not being evasive, but again we could be envisioning two completely different scenarios and talking past each other.

I can envision a peaceful America in which everyone has a firearm and I'm fine with that. I am a gun owner myself.

I can envision a destructive and broken America in which no one has a firearm.

6 hours ago, Message Board User said:

I think it speaks volumes that bad teammate and the mainstream media won’t call out these miscreants and looters and rioters, but Jesse Jackson will.

https://mobile.twitter.com/RevJJackson/status/1292826658379096066

Only because the looters are late with Jesse's share. The flat screens he ordered didn't make it.

3 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

It's weird that when you see the word criminals that you think it's racist. 

1 hour ago, dcar00 said:

the good news is that with all the criminals downtown the suburbs are safer....until the free shit runs out downtown.

Criminals are downtown... Suburbs are safe...

UNTILL THE CRIMINALS COME FOR YOU!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_flight

Now where have I heard of having to move to the suburbs because of the DANGEROUS inner city? Hmmmmmm just can't put my finger on it....

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Now where have I heard of having to move to the suburbs because of the DANGEROUS inner city? Hmmmmmm just can't put my finger on it....

Well yeah.  The criminals are currently downtown looting shit.  He didn't say anything about them living there, or whatever..

Chicago tribune editorial board.

But let’s shut off the chatter for a second and look at some numbers: The Tribune reported Monday morning, coincidentally after months of reporting, that during Foxx’s first three years as state’s attorney, prosecutors dropped all charges against 29.9% of felony defendants. The higher rate of dropped cases compared to her predecessor, Anita Alvarez, included those accused of shootings, murder, sex crimes and attacks on police. Foxx’s office dropped 1 out of every 4 cases considered serious Class X drug cases, the Tribune reported.

Among the greatest disparities between Foxx and Alvarez was for defendants charged with felony escape, which typically refers to someone destroying an electronic monitoring bracelet. Foxx during her first three years dropped 429 cases of felony escape compared with Alvarez who dropped 55.

This reporting was in addition to an investigation earlier this year on Chief Judge Timothy Evans’ bail reform efforts that showed his flawed data “minimized the number of defendants charged with murder and other violent crimes after being released from custody under bail reform.”

Edited by Message Board User
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

This poor guy, his route home was interrupted by VIOLENT PROTESTERS and he had to self defense them!

https://www.nbc12.com/2020/08/10/admitted-kkk-leader-who-drove-through-crowd-protesters-found-guilty-multiple-charges/

If only those dastardly protesters had not attacked this very fine man with their children and families and chanted slogans 

3 hours ago, Captainant said:

straw men! get ya straw men heeya!

2 hours ago, Message Board User said:

Chicago tribune editorial board.

But let’s shut off the chatter for a second and look at some numbers: The Tribune reported Monday morning, coincidentally after months of reporting, that during Foxx’s first three years as state’s attorney, prosecutors dropped all charges against 29.9% of felony defendants. The higher rate of dropped cases compared to her predecessor, Anita Alvarez, included those accused of shootings, murder, sex crimes and attacks on police. Foxx’s office dropped 1 out of every 4 cases considered serious Class X drug cases, the Tribune reported.

Among the greatest disparities between Foxx and Alvarez was for defendants charged with felony escape, which typically refers to someone destroying an electronic monitoring bracelet. Foxx during her first three years dropped 429 cases of felony escape compared with Alvarez who dropped 55.

This reporting was in addition to an investigation earlier this year on Chief Judge Timothy Evans’ bail reform efforts that showed his flawed data “minimized the number of defendants charged with murder and other violent crimes after being released from custody under bail reform.”

incompetency reigns...

11 hours ago, clapclapclap said:

Spent the last few days on vacation and missed out on the BS.  I'd say this is the first time a good chunk of 'both sides' are finally sick of Lightfoot's shit.  People from all sides were sharing a petition calling for her ouster.  Pretty calm now that you had to close off the south side by putting most of the bridges up.  When the hell does that shit just become the new norm?  

• Hook 'Em 1

Yeah, once you get West of Aurora or South of Joliet, most of "downstate" Illinois looks exactly like Iowa.  

One summer, I worked at a pet supply store in the SW suburbs.  And at least half the people that came in there were farmers coming to get horse feed.  

Kinda bummed to hear my hometown is in such disarray.  

It would be something to see if these privileged white BLM protesters were able to use all their time and energy to actually help Black Communities by signing up to be a Big Brother or Sister, or help tutor, clean up, etc.  in communities that need it.

• Fuck You 1

5 minutes ago, BNB said:

It would be something to see if these privileged white BLM protesters were able to use all their time and energy to actually help Black Communities by signing up to be a Big Brother or Sister, or help tutor, clean up, etc.  in communities that need it.

I guarantee that many of them are doing it already.  It's possible to mentor a child and also protest for basic human rights in the same week.  I do it regularly and would gladly take the community engagement for people of color 'Pepsi Challenge' with you anytime.  

10 minutes ago, BNB said:

That window's not gonna break itself!

43 minutes ago, Lobo said:

I guarantee that many of them are doing it already.  It's possible to mentor a child and also protest for basic human rights in the same week.  I do it regularly and would gladly take the community engagement for people of color 'Pepsi Challenge' with you anytime.  

31da91d21599213361e47583fb19a9db.gif

I'm glad you actually do something constructive with your time. But you should probably walk back that guarantee.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

You don’t think there at least three BLM protestors that are involved in big brothers big sisters?   I know three personally just here in Austin.  So that’s how I’m able to guarantee you.  Happy to PM you their credentials.  

39 minutes ago, Lobo said:

You don’t think there at least three BLM protestors that are involved in big brothers big sisters?   I know three personally just here in Austin.  So that’s how I’m able to guarantee you.  Happy to PM you their credentials.  

Your word is good enough for me. But if we're basing this on personal experiences, we'll just have to disagree on the definition of 'many'.

1 minute ago, MillerEP said:

Well according to those same “protestors” (rioters and looters) looting is reparations and their right and the businesses have insurance anyway soooooo who cares? Right? Nothing to see here in Chicago. Same shit different day. Same ineffective leadership.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

TIL general civil unrest during the highest unemployment and most rampant pandemic of our times is the same thing as organized mass protests against police brutality, and that everyone that participates in one is obviously participating in the other. I need to figure out a way to block this fucking thread, it smells like OANN and brietbart in here

Hats off to yall for managing to bind the two things together in your circle jerk. Don't forget your spirit jar in the middle

Not many expected The Ronald McDonald House near Lurie Children's Hospital, a charity for families with children in the hospital, to have their doors smashed.

"[We were] very concerned there was a lot of activity right in front of the house, people making choices that could put them at risk and put our families at risk so the staff was frightened," said Lisa Mitchell, of Ronald McDonald House Charities.
https://abc7chicago.com/chicago-cleaning-up-after-looting-devastates-downtown-businesses/6365158/

sooooo tell me how causing destruction to the Ronald McDonald House charity helps your “cause.” A place for families to stay who have kids in the hospital? Okeedokee. Fuck those families! Outrage!!!! 

Edited by Nicole44
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

Not many expected The Ronald McDonald House near Lurie Children's Hospital, a charity for families with children in the hospital, to have their doors smashed.

Lulz.  What planet are they residing on?  Think these animals really give a shit who is inside?    As long as there is glass to be had and shit to be smashed, it's open season. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Captainant said:

TIL general civil unrest during the highest unemployment and most rampant pandemic of our times is the same thing as organized mass protests against police brutality, and that everyone that participates in one is obviously participating in the other. I need to figure out a way to block this fucking thread, it smells like OANN and brietbart in here

Hats off to yall for managing to bind the two things together in your circle jerk. Don't forget your spirit jar in the middle

giphy.gif

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1