Surly Megathread of destruction and doom. [BEWARE VERY DOOMY]

clapclapclap

1 minute ago, BabaYaga said:

You're right.  It's not like sports casters, radio shows, and basically everyone else is talking about how ratings are tanking.  There's got to be a racist angle, right?  Has to be.  I mean, what else could it be?  We've been cooped up inside for months with no outlet and sports was supposed to garner some of the highest ratings to date.  Definitely not something people would bring up.  

its obvious, the ratings are down because almost everyone is a racist

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, BradInATX said:

Who did you get a call from?" Covington said to Usman. "Did you get a call from, freaking, your little tribe? Did they give you some smoke signals for you? You're a joke

Tribe?  Tribe is racist.  Smoke signals?  Trash talking between fighters in the wake of a very hyped rematch?  You are a fucking moron.....

1 minute ago, bad_teammate said:

There's a lot, but my favorite line is "I never told her that she's using her skin to play the victim"

Why didn't you didn't do that?

It seems you think I did with your double negative there. Why would I? Does she not have feelings? Can she not have feelings? This a friend, and not some random poster. 

You said she's your only black friend, or at least your only black friend in Portland. That means she is someone who has lived every day of her life as a black person in America. That means she has family members who I'm going to guess have lived every day of their lives as black people in America. That means she probably has plenty of friends who have lived every day of their lives as black people in America. She knows her experiences and she knows all of their experiences.

She probably also has plenty of white friends too. If she's talking about these issues with you, she's probably discussing them with other white people as well. So she has an idea of what white people experience. You, given your limited number of black friends, don't really have a good idea of what black people experience. That's not a judgment, it's just a fact. She almost certainly knows, much better than you do, how black people feel about police and how white people feel about police, simply based on her experience. But you listen to her tell you her informed opinion, and you basically say "you don't know what you're talking about, you're just falling for the media story." 

Not only is that very stupid, it's also extremely insulting to this person you claim to consider a friend. You could learn something from her, you could improve your character a little, and you could be a better friend if you were interested in more than winning an argument. Redpilled dipshits don't actually give you anything for "owning the libs." 

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, BabaYaga said:

Tribe?  Tribe is racist.  Smoke signals?  Trash talking between fighters in the wake of a very hyped rematch?  You are a fucking moron.....

I mean, I absolutely don't expect a racist to understand why saying that to a Nigerian person is racist. Most racists don't believe they're racist.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, cmontexas said:

Why does Colby Covington draw dimes with his politics but Lebron James politics force people to change the channel?

Why don't you ask Connor McGegor?  Or any of the decades of WWE "Heels" that garner millions of views and rake in ridiculous amounts of money.  Your just butt-hurt because you bought into the bullshit and admitted as much.  LOL.  Rogan even admitted from conversations with Dana White that Colvington basically "heeled" his way into a title fight by talking shit.  

mary-3.jpg?itok=znEDp7Pd

3 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

She almost certainly knows, much better than you do, how black people feel about police and how white people feel about police, simply based on her experience.

Please explain.  He can't know how she feels because she's black.  OK.  She, however, can know how a white person feels.  Interesting.   

• Hook 'Em 1

I mean, I absolutely don't expect a racist to understand why saying that to a Nigerian person is racist. Most racists don't believe they're racist.

Only Nigerians have tribes?  Cute.  I'll let Sebastian Junger know right away.  Moron, like I said....

Of course there are others if you want to keep fucking this chicken.  LOL.  We can look at Seth Godin, Diane Robinson, Michael Moris, Any Chua, and many, many others.  

91u5ybPIuAL.jpg

Yeah, @cmontexas, you stupid idiot. Didn't you know that you're allowed to say and do racist things as much as you want as long as you tell everyone that you're just playing a part? 

There is zero doubt in my mind that when Baba says and does racist things in real life and gets called out for it, he tries to walk it back by saying "bro, I was just joking, calm down". So it makes total sense that he thinks it's a valid strategy, because he of course does not think he's a racist.

1 minute ago, fattyflattie said:

Please explain.  He can't know how she feels because she's black.  OK.  She, however, can know how a white person feels.  Interesting.   

It would've been more precise for me to say she probably knows about as well as he does how white people feel about police. The point being that she's much more familiar with white people and their experiences than he is with black people and their experiences. More to the point, she almost certainly knows without him having to tell her that police are also assholes to white people.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, workswithseed said:

The only black friend I know personally in this town (Portland) disagrees very much with me on the issue that it's only blacks that are targeted by police brutality. I said that everyone experience police brutality. I never told her that she's using her skin to play the victim, just that she only sees one narrative from media, and that's where her bias is coming from. We came to an understanding, but not to an agreement. That's fine as long as she knows I don't think what the police did was right, and that she knows that whites get the boot too then I see that as a good.

Okay, see, the bolded is a logical fallacy that -- if you believe that's what the conversation is about -- completely poisons the conversation from its inception.

Black people are not the ONLY demographic targeted by police brutality, misconduct, and lying.  ALL non-cops are subject to such mistreatment.  The particular situation of black people is that they are DISPROPORTIONATELY subjected to those things.  If the average white person has ONE story about the time a cop was a complete dick, lied through his teeth, beat them (or someone they know)......the average black person has FOUR such stories (ratio used for illustration - I don't know what the precise number is....we just all know that black people definitely have more of those stories).

Which all makes sense, when you view broken police culture as a creature of broken human personalities.  Think of a giant asshole you know: he's a bully, he abuses people, he treats women like shit, he lies all the time....and among those shitty qualities, he's ALSO a racist.  Think of Biff Tannen's character in Back to the Future.  He was all those things....and of all the characters in that film, don't you think he was ALSO the most likely to drop an N-bomb, or to single out a black person for particular cruelty?

Being racist is a regular feature of being an abusive asshole.  So, abusive assholes treat everyone like shit....but they often also REALLY treat black people like shit.   I really don't see why this is so hard for people to grasp and accept.  The problem here is not ONLY about race, but race is PART of the bigger problem.  And you'll note that most of the police-specific remedies being proposed (greater oversight, greater accountability, requiring cameras, banning no-knock raids, dispatching mental health officers instead of jacked up cops to certain calls, maybe even ditching the stupid war on drugs, all that stuff) are race-neutral.  Then, there are greater social remedies that are more focused on the black community (although they also have reach beyond that specific community, mostly into other distressed and poor communities), like community development grants, education reform, and the redirection of resources to prioritize those things.

The part of our body politic that faces the GREATEST stress is the part that breaks out first.  That doesn't mean that our entire body politic is not under similar stress -- it just isn't as extreme.....yet.

1 hour ago, fattyflattie said:

J. F. C. 

This response was in response to the comment about cars separating and isolating us.  And....as someone who grew up in this culture (and reveled in it), and even has an extra vehicle for fun (my beater truck)....it's correct.  In most American cities, life is designed to put you in individual pods, where you go to some other place, stay semi-isolated, get back in your pod, and return to your cave.  Go someplace with mass transit -- an old world, compact city.  New York, London, Paris, Berlin, Buenos Aires, for example.  You travel through mass transit, and on foot.  You walk to the store, you walk to the cafe.  You don't spend much time at all in an isolated pod.  And as a result, you are part of the ebb and flow of your community.  You see the same people as you walk by, you wave to them, you know their names and routines.  You are part of a greater rhythm of an entire community.  It's healthy, it's good for us.  We are social animals.  

No, that level of connection doesn't cure everything, but it would help a lot of what's ailing us here in the US.  We have never been more purely individualistic, more isolated (and that's PRE-pandemic....COVID has only made it worse).

https://www.si.com/mma/2020/07/09/ufc-mike-perry-physical-confrontation-n-word-racial-slur

HE WAS JUST PLAYING A PART LOL STUPID IDIOTS HE TOTALLY FOOLED YOU INTO THINKING HE'S A RACIST. HE'S JUST A "HEEL"

Brad's getting desperate and his mediocre Google-Fu is showing...as this has not a fucking thing to do with much of anything being discussed.  But ok.....

3 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

https://www.si.com/mma/2020/07/09/ufc-mike-perry-physical-confrontation-n-word-racial-slur

HE WAS JUST PLAYING A PART LOL STUPID IDIOTS HE TOTALLY FOOLED YOU INTO THINKING HE'S A RACIST. HE'S JUST A "HEEL"

LMAO.  What's your point?  You think a single person is going to come to Mike Perry's defense.  He's an unapologetic low-IQ goon, and everyone knows him as that.  He has face tattoos, for chrissake. 

6 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Why don't you ask Connor McGegor?  Or any of the decades of WWE "Heels" that garner millions of views and rake in ridiculous amounts of money.  Your just butt-hurt because you bought into the bullshit and admitted as much.  LOL.  Rogan even admitted from conversations with Dana White that Colvington basically "heeled" his way into a title fight by talking shit.  

mary-3.jpg?itok=znEDp7Pd

Lol. This is an embarrassing thing to admit but Ive listened to Meltzer for over 20 years so I know what a fucking heel is. And Covington is great at being a heel. I alluded to this in my first post. My specific point is that the tactic he uses to generate heat (politics) isnt the antidraw you chuds claim it is. People want politics. Covington and this website and the whole internet is proof of that.

So NBA ratings are down not because "people are turned off by politics". The ratings are down because your cult told you to boycott the NBA in an effort to strongarm them politically. And you check the ratings every day for validation to see how many of your fellow cult members are in

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, BabaYaga said:

Brad's getting desperate and his mediocre Google-Fu is showing...as this has not a fucking thing to do with much of anything being discussed.  But ok.....

Yeah I'm totally losing this argument that "Did you get a call from, freaking, your little tribe? Did they give you some smoke signals for you?" is a totally acceptable and benign thing to say to a Nigerian person. You got me, galaxy brain.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

LMAO.  What's your point?  You think a single person is going to come to Mike Perry's defense.  He's an unapologetic low-IQ goon, and everyone knows him as that.  He has face tattoos, for chrissake. 

Well your boy Baba is defending one racist UFC fighter saying racist things so it's certainly plausible that he would defend another racist UFC fighter saying racist things. It's what racist people do.

Edited by BradInATX
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

It would've been more precise for me to say she probably knows about as well as he does how white people feel about police. The point being that she's much more familiar with white people and their experiences than he is with black people and their experiences. More to the point, she almost certainly knows without him having to tell her that police are also assholes to white people.

you aren't capitalizing black

3 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Okay, see, the bolded is a logical fallacy that -- if you believe that's what the conversation is about -- completely poisons the conversation from its inception.

Black people are not the ONLY demographic targeted by police brutality, misconduct, and lying.  ALL non-cops are subject to such mistreatment.  The particular situation of black people is that they are DISPROPORTIONATELY subjected to those things.  If the average white person has ONE story about the time a cop was a complete dick, lied through his teeth, beat them (or someone they know)......the average black person has FOUR such stories (ratio used for illustration - I don't know what the precise number is....we just all know that black people definitely have more of those stories).

Which all makes sense, when you view broken police culture as a creature of broken human personalities.  Think of a giant asshole you know: he's a bully, he abuses people, he treats women like shit, he lies all the time....and among those shitty qualities, he's ALSO a racist.  Think of Biff Tannen's character in Back to the Future.  He was all those things....and of all the characters in that film, don't you think he was ALSO the most likely to drop an N-bomb, or to single out a black person for particular cruelty?

Being racist is a regular feature of being an abusive asshole.  So, abusive assholes treat everyone like shit....but they often also REALLY treat black people like shit.   I really don't see why this is so hard for people to grasp and accept.  The problem here is not ONLY about race, but race is PART of the bigger problem.  And you'll note that most of the police-specific remedies being proposed (greater oversight, greater accountability, requiring cameras, banning no-knock raids, dispatching mental health officers instead of jacked up cops to certain calls, maybe even ditching the stupid war on drugs, all that stuff) are race-neutral.  Then, there are greater social remedies that are more focused on the black community (although they also have reach beyond that specific community, mostly into other distressed and poor communities), like community development grants, education reform, and the redirection of resources to prioritize those things.

The part of our body politic that faces the GREATEST stress is the part that breaks out first.  That doesn't mean that our entire body politic is not under similar stress -- it just isn't as extreme.....yet.

This response was in response to the comment about cars separating and isolating us.  And....as someone who grew up in this culture (and reveled in it), and even has an extra vehicle for fun (my beater truck)....it's correct.  In most American cities, life is designed to put you in individual pods, where you go to some other place, stay semi-isolated, get back in your pod, and return to your cave.  Go someplace with mass transit -- an old world, compact city.  New York, London, Paris, Berlin, Buenos Aires, for example.  You travel through mass transit, and on foot.  You walk to the store, you walk to the cafe.  You don't spend much time at all in an isolated pod.  And as a result, you are part of the ebb and flow of your community.  You see the same people as you walk by, you wave to them, you know their names and routines.  You are part of a greater rhythm of an entire community.  It's healthy, it's good for us.  We are social animals.  

No, that level of connection doesn't cure everything, but it would help a lot of what's ailing us here in the US.  We have never been more purely individualistic, more isolated (and that's PRE-pandemic....COVID has only made it worse).

why are you not capitalizing "black"?

2 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Go someplace with mass transit -- an old world, compact city.  New York, London, Paris, Berlin, Buenos Aires, for example.  You travel through mass transit, and on foot.  You walk to the store, you walk to the cafe.  You don't spend much time at all in an isolated pod.  And as a result, you are part of the ebb and flow of your community.  You see the same people as you walk by, you wave to them, you know their names and routines.  You are part of a greater rhythm of an entire community.  It's healthy, it's good for us.  We are social animals.  

When is the last time you were in NY?  They will step on your neck in a nano-second to get to where they are going?  London?  When is the last time you rode the tube?  You had better get your ass over to the side on the escalators going down on you are going to get murdered.  And on the tube?  The only people talking are those that are riding together.  So this is simplistic.  Yes are social animals, but that is conveyed in smaller demographics across the world, not larger cities and locales.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, BabaYaga said:

Colby Covington?  L...O....fucking...L 

It's all an act that you apparently bought hook, line, and sinker.  Rogan talks about this all the time.  It's schtick.  A persona he adopted akin to the WWE personas after he was about to get cut from the UFC.  

mary-3.jpg?itok=znEDp7Pd

HAHA, the fuck you aren't.  As clearly evidenced.  

It's working as I hate the dude.  Idk if he's flat out racist though, he lived with Masvidal at some point.  He needs his ass kicked and so far, not a lot of people can do it.

2 minutes ago, Fondren & Main said:

Being an SJW is akin to being a pussy in most people’s eyes.  Probably why ratings are down.

Your entire strategy on this board is to put anyone who says anything that hurts your feelings on ignore. You have exactly zero room to call anyone a pussy. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

Yeah I'm totally losing this argument that "Did you get a call from, freaking, your little tribe? Did they give you some smoke signals for you?" is a totally acceptable and benign thing to say to a Nigerian person. You got me, galaxy brain.

You are weapons grade fucking retarded.  "Tribe" is used now more than ever and has had dozens of recent books referencing it's use - predominantly in politics.  Fighters use "tribe", "camp" and "squad" all the time.  My BJJ gym uses tribe, savages, murderers, and a dozen other sayings all the time.  Obviously a gym full of racists, right?  I mean, the UFC is SO RACIST to circumvent COVID issues, has fights on.....wait for it.....tribal land.    

Nor any I defending Colby - I'm pointing out how utterly fucking stupid it is for people that actually buy into his schtick.  But yeah, keep fucking that chicken.....

3 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

It's working as I hate the dude.  Idk if he's flat out racist though, he lived with Masvidal at some point.  He needs his ass kicked and so far, not a lot of people can do it.

Which again as Rogan pointed out, a guy that initially had ZERO schtick, was boring in the eyes of most, and was about to get cut by the UFC, went full heel, and basically trash-talked his way into a title fight.  Rogan brings it all the time and laughs at people that take his schtick seriously.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, BabaYaga said:

You are weapons grade fucking retarded.  "Tribe" is used now more than ever and has had dozens of recent books referencing it's use - predominantly in politics.  Fighters use "tribe", "camp" and "squad" all the time.  My BJJ gym uses tribe, savages, murderers, and a dozen other sayings all the time.  Obviously a gym full of racists, right?  I mean, the UFC is SO RACIST to circumvent COVID issues, has fights on.....wait for it.....tribal land.    

Nor any I defending Colby - I'm pointing out how utterly fucking stupid it is for people that actually buy into his schtick.  But yeah, keep fucking that chicken.....

You're literally defending the statement "Did you get a call from, freaking, your little tribe? Did they give you some smoke signals for you?" to a Nigerian person as not being racist. There is nothing I can do for you. That is an incredibly racist statement and there's only one character trait that would lead a person to not believe that it's racist.

Do you notice how nobody else on this thread, including the people who would typically come at me on an argument like this, is defending that statement along side of you? 

Think about it.

3 hours ago, BradInATX said:

Lol. Okay dude. Play word games if you'd like. You sound exactly like every old white man that has been telling women and people of color what's best for them for centuries. You are playing semantic games to tap dance around the fact that you're unwilling to admit that you don't know better than women and PoC what's best for them.Your worldview is the very definition of white arrogance and privilege.  "You're telling me that I don't understand women as well as women do just because I don't have a vagina?! Wow, so hateful!!!"

Shut up, boomer. Take your feigned victimhood somewhere else. You are beyond transparent.

I'm not playing word games. I'm taking your words at face value. Please start doing the same for me. In that regard, please post where I've told anyone what is best for them. I had the audacity to submit that arguments should be judges on their merits and not the physical characteristics of the speaker. That spun you into a tizzy and you've lashed out.

1 minute ago, cmontexas said:

Lol. This is an embarrassing thing to admit but Ive listened to Meltzer for over 20 years so I know what a fucking heel is. And Covington is great at being a heel. I alluded to this in my first post. My specific point is that the tactic he uses to generate heat (politics) isnt the antidraw you chuds claim it is. People want politics. Covington and this website and the whole internet is proof of that.

So NBA ratings are down not because "people are turned off by politics". The ratings are down because your cult told you to boycott the NBA in an effort to strongarm them politically. And you check the ratings every day for validation to see how many of your fellow cult members are in

NBA ratings are down for a bunch of reasons, including the games being played in a sterile bubble, the competition on the sports calendar in September, the analytic-driven style of play, the hyper focus on LeBron which limits the interest of casuals in non-Lakers games and of course the injection of politics into the actual game environment.  If the domestic ratings continue to suck in in 2021 when things are closer to normal (Biden elected, normal NBA schedule, some fans in attendance), the NBA is going to have some very serious problems unless they can increase revenue in China.  I expect that ratings will improve but won't return to pre-COVID levels for years.  

2 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

When is the last time you were in NY?  They will step on your neck in a nano-second to get to where they are going?  London?  When is the last time you rode the tube?  You had better get your ass over to the side on the escalators going down on you are going to get murdered.  And on the tube?  The only people talking are those that are riding together.  So this is simplistic.  Yes are social animals, but that is conveyed in smaller demographics across the world, not larger cities and locales.  

You're wrong, and you're right.  It ain't about the mass transit ride. It's about the fact that the ride is but one part of your trip -- and a big part of it is on foot.  And yes, even in the tube, etc., you do have personal contact, you make eye contact with your fellow human beings, you are an integral part of the rhythm of their lives.  Yes, I've ridden transit in all of those cities within the past few years.  And before and after those rides, we walked.  Sometimes, we stopped in to a cafe or a shop.  If we were someplace for several days, we even developed a routine -- stopped into the same spot to grab a quick breakfast, noticed and smiled at the flower stand guy as he rotated in new stock, saw the same mom out for a stroll with her kids each morning, that sort of thing.  So, you're wrong that bustling cities with mass transit don't offer all that  They do.

But you're right that it also is conveyed in smaller demographics -- I've been in plenty of small towns/villages where the dynamic is similar.  People walk everywhere, they stop in the same places, they don't spend an inordinate amount of time in enclosed pods, away from their fellow humans.  What makes America different is sprawl.  Compact cities -- you get the necessary human community (or, you can at least -- anyone can be a hermit misanthrope anywhere, if they want to be).  Quiet small towns -- you get community.  Urban sprawl, designed for the car, and homes separated from each other, and isolated from anyplace you would walk (a store, cafe, etc.)....human contact and community is harder to come by.

Hyper-individualism and isolation is killing us here.  It really is.  It's destructive, divisive, and depressing.

51 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

No, I don't think people who block the road deserve an ass-kicking. If someone blocks the road in front of you, you should wait through the temporary inconvenience or turn around.

If they are marching towards you, either turn around and get away or sit perfectly still and wait patiently.

If you're sitting quietly and peacefully in your car and they start damaging your car, record them and file a police report.

If they credibly threaten your safety or life, then you have to protect yourself.

Again, this doesn't necessarily satisfy the rage of an emotionally-damaged egoistic person, but I can't help that person be a better human right now. I'll try, though.

What?

You have seen someone cut across traffic to make sure they get their turn in RIGHT NOW instead of just going up to the next intersection to make a safe and legal turn? You can feign outrage and contempt, but you know exactly what I'm talking about.

When we're in our cars, we do not care about how dangerous what we're doing is and our sense of entitlement skyrockets. Cars make us anti-social. Cars isolate and atomize us.

You can be mad that I'm saying it, but you know it's true.

So easy for you to say sit in your car. Then file a report 

3 minutes ago, CDAK said:

That spun you into a tizzy and you've lashed out.

Haha. I'm not the one who took offense to someone saying that women and minorities are better qualified to speak about women and minorities than white people. I'm sorry that statement so inflamed you that you've made your 108th through 112th posts in the two and a half years you've been here about it.

4 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

You're literally defending the statement "Did you get a call from, freaking, your little tribe? Did they give you some smoke signals for you?" to a Nigerian person as not being racist. There is nothing I can do for you. That is an incredibly racist statement and there's only one character trait that would lead a person to not believe that it's racist.

Do you notice how nobody else on this thread, including the people who would typically come at me on an argument like this, is defending that statement along side of you? 

Think about it.

Crowd sourcing is your argument now?  Just fucking stop.  

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

You're wrong, and you're right.  It ain't about the mass transit ride. It's about the fact that the ride is but one part of your trip -- and a big part of it is on foot.  And yes, even in the tube, etc., you do have personal contact, you make eye contact with your fellow human beings, you are an integral part of the rhythm of their lives.  Yes, I've ridden transit in all of those cities within the past few years.  And before and after those rides, we walked.  Sometimes, we stopped in to a cafe or a shop.  If we were someplace for several days, we even developed a routine -- stopped into the same spot to grab a quick breakfast, noticed and smiled at the flower stand guy as he rotated in new stock, saw the same mom out for a stroll with her kids each morning, that sort of thing.  So, you're wrong that bustling cities with mass transit don't offer all that  They do.

But you're right that it also is conveyed in smaller demographics -- I've been in plenty of small towns/villages where the dynamic is similar.  People walk everywhere, they stop in the same places, they don't spend an inordinate amount of time in enclosed pods, away from their fellow humans.  What makes America different is sprawl.  Compact cities -- you get the necessary human community (or, you can at least -- anyone can be a hermit misanthrope anywhere, if they want to be).  Quiet small towns -- you get community.  Urban sprawl, designed for the car, and homes separated from each other, and isolated from anyplace you would walk (a store, cafe, etc.)....human contact and community is harder to come by.

Hyper-individualism and isolation is killing us here.  It really is.  It's destructive, divisive, and depressing.

The walking part, yes - but that is a byproduct of the cities design and layout.  Older cities, pre-auto design facilitated that.  Newer ones do not.  But people coalesce.  Many online.  I think social media plays a bigger part into the nihilism and angst many feel.  C19 compounds this.  So large or small, it's F2F interaction that people need.  A discussion of ideas.  I think I told you my wife met an AA woman on a neighborhood FB cite discussing the protests.  They disagreed online, then met and talked and had lunch.  Both still stay in contact, and while they may not agree on everything, at least have that measure of physical connection.  

• Hook 'Em 1

I think I told you my wife met an AA woman on a neighborhood FB cite discussing the protests.  They disagreed online, then met and talked and had lunch.  Both still stay in contact, and while they may not agree on everything, at least have that measure of physical connection.  

For those of you playing "BabaYaga Saying All of the Things that Racists Say" Bingo at home who were waiting on "I have black friends" to fill your card out... there it is.

Edited by BradInATX
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

25 minutes ago, cmontexas said:

Yes, but nobody tunes in to Covington to get actually lectured on politics.  (Okay, maybe a few crazies you can see on Twitter).  It's a tool of irony.  They watch because his MAGA schtick riles everybody.  A la wrassling.

On the other spectrum, people watch Lebron because he's good basketballer.  Not because his politicking pisses off the other party

• Hook 'Em 1

It's obvious that's racist of Covington but Baba is pot-committed and it's hilarious to watch.

39 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

It seems you think I did with your double negative there. Why would I? Does she not have feelings? Can she not have feelings? This a friend, and not some random poster. 

The double-negative was my mistake.

I'll re-ask properly because I screwed up: Why didn't you tell her that?

And since you've answered (which I appreciate!!), why would that hurt her feelings?

42 minutes ago, cmontexas said:

Why does Colby Covington draw dimes with his politics but Lebron James politics force people to change the channel?

thujone-picture-of-gump-tapping-sumlin-portrait dot jpeg

8 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

So easy for you to say sit in your car. Then file a report 

Yes, and pretty easy to do as well. And certainly with better consequences than deciding you're Leonidas taking on a crowd of people for the honor of your car.

• Hook 'Em 1

The walking part, yes - but that is a byproduct of the cities design and layout.  Older cities, pre-auto design facilitated that.  Newer ones do not.  But people coalesce.  Many online.  I think social media plays a bigger part into the nihilism and angst many feel.  C19 compounds this.  So large or small, it's F2F interaction that people need.  A discussion of ideas.  I think I told you my wife met an AA woman on a neighborhood FB cite discussing the protests.  They disagreed online, then met and talked and had lunch.  Both still stay in contact, and while they may not agree on everything, at least have that measure of physical connection.  

I appreciate the good post.  And while Brad is popping you for the "I have a black friend"......that's actually what we need.  Not as a badge or defense, but to build a meaningful community.

People do coalesce in our sprawl environment, but not nearly as easily or as well as they do in more conducive environments.  And when they do, it is very much among their nearby (and often identical to them) community.  So, we have little exposure to those who aren't like-minded.  And yes, social media has actually made us MORE lonely, not less.  C19 puts that in hyperdrive.

As to your wife having a F2F with a black woman, that's a good thing.  I never will forget one of our first "group of friends drinking a lot of beer at the Posse" sessions at the beginning of law school.  I grew up with a decent exposure to different demographics and races -- not perfect, but decent.  But one of my classmates -- who has been one of my best friends since the first day of law school -- was a big old white guy who grew up in the white burbs.  One of our other friends was a black guy who grew up in Philly.  As we drank beer and told stories, my white buddy repeatedly told our black classmate that he just didn't believe that black people got hassled by cops, had it any worse than we did, etc.  And our black classmate told story, after story, after story.  As several of us nodded, and a few even chimed in with stories of their own (e.g., my hispanic father getting the fuck beaten out of him and tossed UNDER the jail).  By the end of that LONG conversation, my buddy said, genuinely "man....I had no idea."  And he's never forgotten it.  That conversation, in week one of law school, changed his perspective for life.  One conversation.  And then, an enduring friendship with the black guy in our friend circle (and yeah, THE black guy in our friend circle....it wasn't THAT long ago, but black people were still a really small percentage of our classmates).

Proximity can breed empathy, and lessen contempt.  It's important.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I understand all of this. I’ve lived short term (~1 yr) all over the world.  I just think it was stupid af for this thread, and just another tool for 50-100 long cat troll posts on subjects ranging from climate change to the plight of the Midwest auto laborer. 

• Hook 'Em 1