Surly Megathread of destruction and doom. [BEWARE VERY DOOMY]

clapclapclap

Just now, fattyflattie said:

I understand all of this. I’ve lived short term (~1 yr) all over the world.  I just think it was stupid af for this thread, and just another tool for 50-100 long cat troll posts on subjects ranging from climate change to the plight of the Midwest auto laborer. 

The Midwest auto laborer, you say?  See, the challenges are both offshoring, and automation.....

:)

49 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

It would've been more precise for me to say she probably knows about as well as he does how white people feel about police.

Because you presumed she had several white friends?    Not a hard stretch to believe she’s got more intuition into white society than he (admittedly does) for black society, but she has not lived 30+ years as a white male. Just as he hasn’t as a black female.  I guarantee both have assumptions that are way off.  She may be better balanced, but I’d wager neither know much of shit about the others experiences.  

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I appreciate the good post.  And while Brad is popping you for the "I have a black friend"......that's actually what we need.  Not as a badge or defense, but to build a meaningful community.

People do coalesce in our sprawl environment, but not nearly as easily or as well as they do in more conducive environments.  And when they do, it is very much among their nearby (and often identical to them) community.  So, we have little exposure to those who aren't like-minded.  And yes, social media has actually made us MORE lonely, not less.  C19 puts that in hyperdrive.

As to your wife having a F2F with a black woman, that's a good thing.  I never will forget one of our first "group of friends drinking a lot of beer at the Posse" sessions at the beginning of law school.  I grew up with a decent exposure to different demographics and races -- not perfect, but decent.  But one of my classmates -- who has been one of my best friends since the first day of law school -- was a big old white guy who grew up in the white burbs.  One of our other friends was a black guy who grew up in Philly.  As we drank beer and told stories, my white buddy repeatedly told our black classmate that he just didn't believe that black people got hassled by cops, had it any worse than we did, etc.  And our black classmate told story, after story, after story.  As several of us nodded, and a few even chimed in with stories of their own (e.g., my hispanic father getting the fuck beaten out of him and tossed UNDER the jail).  By the end of that LONG conversation, my buddy said, genuinely "man....I had no idea."  And he's never forgotten it.  That conversation, in week one of law school, changed his perspective for life.  One conversation.  And then, an enduring friendship with the black guy in our friend circle (and yeah, THE black guy in our friend circle....it wasn't THAT long ago, but black people were still a really small percentage of our classmates).

Proximity can breed empathy, and lessen contempt.  It's important.

Brad is a little twat that has never set foot in a MMA/BJJ gym in his life.  I used to have a "War Tribe" gi before I switched to Origin.  It's a term used all the time analogous to "squad", but deeper.  BJJ gyms are like family.  They are your family and they have your back no matter what when you compete.  

But to your point, yes it takes F2F interaction.  For us, at home and in the suburbs, it's the gym of course, but for all of us - it's kids sports.  Kids play on national teams so we are together with this group every weekend.  There's a guy who's daughter is on the team and he drives a painters truck and a guy with a BMW M7 sports.  Our common sharper experience is the meritocracy of the field.  

My best friend from grad school was a former RB @ Ole Miss.  So we were there when Ash torched them in Oxford.  He took me to all his old hangouts and places he grew up.  Next year, I took him to E. Austin where I grew up.  If you ever saw the movie "Battleship" Colonel Greg Gadson was the guy with two missing legs.  He's a real guy and former Westpoint O-lineman that lost both to an IED.  We had the honor of driving him back to his hotel after Mack had him talk to the players.

We went by Kealing MS school where I first started playing ball.  Got burgers at Dirtys and went to see if Patos Tacos was still around on 38th 1/2.  His kids now go to the same skills teacher for soccer that mine do.  

*and BTW, fuck the Oxford police for making me pour my beer out but almost dying from a completely full solo cup full of bourbon was completely fine.  

Edited by BabaYaga

15 minutes ago, Hate said:

You must be racist since you’re talking about having a black friend. BINGO!

The "I have black friends" was just the cherry on top of about 5 pages of overtly racist content. 

But, most people have friends and don't feel the need to qualify them by their race. I have friends. They have names, races, heights, weights, and hair color. Usually when I'm referring to one of them, I say "my friend Joe". Not "my black friend" or "my tall friend". That's what normal people do.

48 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

You're literally defending the statement "Did you get a call from, freaking, your little tribe? Did they give you some smoke signals for you?" to a Nigerian person as not being racist. There is nothing I can do for you. That is an incredibly racist statement and there's only one character trait that would lead a person to not believe that it's racist.

Do you notice how nobody else on this thread, including the people who would typically come at me on an argument like this, is defending that statement along side of you? 

Think about it.

Looks like the guy can fight though.  He crushed Woodley

2 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

You're right.  Ratings are plummeting, down 40% in many markets, because American supports police brutality yet significantly higher in sports that have been apolitical.  Yep.  You nailed it.  

Regardless of why rating are down, you can't force something to be political. You guys try to make Basic Human Rights political so you can oppose it without being viewed as against what the real issue is. It's the same move they pulled in the 60's with doctor King by calling him a communist. But like I said. Breast cancer awareness is cool. As long as it aligns with your views you will be in favor of it. As soon as it doesn't you are out and bitching about how you just want to watch the game. Meanwhile, Colby Covington is out there spewing actual Political Views, but rating are good. That 40% drop in rating only serves to tell me that 40%(your people) don't give a shit about Black People. You cannot hide behind the veil of BLM being a political organization, because when the movement first started y'all were the first ones yelling all lives matter and blue lives matter. I had shit to do with politics then and it has shit to do with politics now, no matter how much you try to force it to be. I just want you to know we see you.

• Hook 'Em 2

14 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

The "I have black friends" was just the cherry on top of about 5 pages of overtly racist content. 

But, most people have friends and don't feel the need to qualify them by their race. I have friends. They have names, races, heights, weights, and hair color. Usually when I'm referring to one of them, I say "my friend Joe". Not "my black friend" or "my tall friend". That's what normal people do.

"I don't see race" is now racist FYI.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Because you presumed she had several white friends?    Not a hard stretch to believe she’s got more intuition into white society than he (admittedly does) for black society, but she has not lived 30+ years as a white male. Just as he hasn’t as a black female.  I guarantee both have assumptions that are way off.  She may be better balanced, but I’d wager neither know much of shit about the others experiences.  

The point is that it wasn't just insulting but also stupid of him to think he's better informed than she is and to tell her that she's just believing what the media tells her. If he's interested in possibly learning something and at least in being a decent friend, next time hopefully he'll listen more. 

• Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Brad is a little twat that has never set foot in a MMA/BJJ gym in his life.  I used to have a "War Tribe" gi before I switched to Origin.  It's a term used all the time analogous to "squad", but deeper.  BJJ gyms are like family.  They are your family and they have your back no matter what when you compete. 

-------------------
"Who did you get a call from?" Covington asked. "Did you get a call from freaking your little tribe? Did they give you some smoke signals for you? [laughs] You're a joke, Marty Fake Newsman!"
-------------------

I don't want to put words in your mouth, Baba, so I'll just ask...

1) When Covington says "your little tribe" is he referring to Usman's training partners or Usman's birthplace?
2) When Covington says "smoke signals" what reference is he trying to make?

27 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

I guarantee both have assumptions that are way off.  She may be better balanced, but I’d wager neither know much of shit about the others experiences.  

Which of the two following groups is more prominently represented in movies, art, literature, and popular media:

- White men

- Black women

?

Just now, Captainant said:

LoL hEs JuSt PlAyInG a PaRt TrOlOlLoLoOlL

One of the dumbest categories of guy in the world is the guy who just found out wrestling is fake and thinks no one else knows it.

Smart DT Middle-of-the-Road Guy: "IT'S ALL FAKE BRO IT'S ALL AN ACT!"

Snowflake Moron: "Yes, but the acts we choose are reflective of ourselves and the culture at large. The intention behind a performance matters a great deal, are you performing as Hitler to tear him down (like Chaplin) or are you dressing up as Hitler to glorify him (any number of neo-Nazis)? These are deeper considerations and it's pretty clear what the intention is when we see a performance even when we know it is, at least in part, a performance."

Smart DT Middle-of-the-Road Guy: "YOU DON'T EVEN BELONG IN A GYM BRO IT'S A JOKE!"

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

Regardless of why rating are down, you can't force something to be political. You guys try to make Basic Human Rights political so you can oppose it without being viewed as against what the real issue is. It's the same move they pulled in the 60's with doctor King by calling him a communist. But like I said. Breast cancer awareness is cool. As long as it aligns with your views you will be in favor of it. As soon as it doesn't you are out and bitching about how you just want to watch the game. Meanwhile, Colby Covington is out there spewing actual Political Views, but rating are good. That 40% drop in rating only serves to tell me that 40%(your people) don't give a shit about Black People. You cannot hide behind the veil of BLM being a political organization, because when the movement first started y'all were the first ones yelling all lives matter and blue lives matter. I had shit to do with politics then and it has shit to do with politics now, no matter how much you try to force it to be. I just want you to know we see you.

This is so simplistic it's almost child-like.  Trying to conflate a single person who's entire schtick is being the "heel" to an entire organization?  Just stop.  The entire ratings of the UFC is not predicated on CC.  Whether you agree or disagree, the ratings are dropping like a lead balloon.  Is it all political?  No.  Already posted are many of the contributing factors.  But of course it plays a part.  Arguing looting, destruction, and razing entire communities that need the most help tends to dilute the "basic human rights" message - unless you disagree?

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, workswithseed said:

The only black friend I know personally in this town (Portland) disagrees very much with me on the issue that it's only blacks that are targeted by police brutality. I said that everyone experience police brutality. I never told her that she's using her skin to play the victim, just that she only sees one narrative from media, and that's where her bias is coming from. We came to an understanding, but not to an agreement. That's fine as long as she knows I don't think what the police did was right, and that she knows that whites get the boot too then I see that as a good.

I would love to conduct an experiment with you. Come to Texas, we will shoe polish you up. Put you in a brand new Chrysler 300 with 22's on it and let you drive through Bellaire and West U a couple times. If you make it out without being stopped you can go back to Portland and tell your friend that police do not target Black People.

• Hook 'Em 5

8 minutes ago, immamac said:

so, this has turned into a discussion thread instead of a documentation thread. Should I change the title and move it to CR?

Well it was documenting a fair degree of disinformation and politically embellished reporting so not sure why yall kept it here for so long other than to be a honeypot for all the q-adjacent folks on DT to shitpost

EDIT: lol k, 52-80. I'll take it under advisement

Edited by Captainant

1 hour ago, fattyflattie said:

Please explain.  He can't know how she feels because she's black.  OK.  She, however, can know how a white person feels.  Interesting.   

Black people are 13% of the population. As such, we are around YOU way more than YOU are around US. Almost every fairly successful Black Person is the extreme minority where they work or where they live. The higher you go, the Whiter it gets. That said, we have conversations with White people. All Day. Everyday.

27 minutes ago, immamac said:

so, this has turned into a discussion thread instead of a documentation thread. Should I change the title and move it to CR?

@immamac

No.  That was the entire reason the handful of CR posters came over here and started spamming page after page of political accusations of racism. To shut it down or get it moved.   Unfortunately some CR types on the other side of the aisle can't resist taking the bait and endlessly arguing the same things over and over.  Several times I've asked all to please stick with the premise of the thread, that it's for vid/pics/news of protest/riots and their tactics (no politics.)  I don't report anything, because I figure you all have enough to deal with than this petty crap.

Please split off the discussion instead. 

Perhaps classify calling anything one doesn't like 'Racist' as just another political tactic. 

To me, attacking a car, chasing it down with 2 cars, trying to pin it in, smash the windshield and window, and trying to drag the driver out seems newsworthy (:36 onward).  It can be discussed without the politics.  (And I'm just looking to post the videos/pics with the best views of a situation to get the most info, not endorsing whoever posted it to twitter.)

Edited by clapclapclap
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, BabaYaga said:

You are weapons grade fucking retarded.  "Tribe" is used now more than ever and has had dozens of recent books referencing it's use - predominantly in politics.  Fighters use "tribe", "camp" and "squad" all the time.  My BJJ gym uses tribe, savages, murderers, and a dozen other sayings all the time.  Obviously a gym full of racists, right?  I mean, the UFC is SO RACIST to circumvent COVID issues, has fights on.....wait for it.....tribal land.    

Nor any I defending Colby - I'm pointing out how utterly fucking stupid it is for people that actually buy into his schtick.  But yeah, keep fucking that chicken.....

BabaYaga is trying to defend verbiage that is intentionally meant to have racial undertones but have plausible deniability to people who all went to college and had classes that taught us to to recognize them for what they are. The fact that he would try that tactic and think that he would get away with it proves that the first sentence in his post I bolded actually speaks more about him.

When my brother was young, he once told my mom(after playing with matches) that the matches were on top of the refrigerator, fell off, and struck on the way down. Now I am sure that sounded good in his head and all but....

12 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

Black people are 13% of the population. As such, we are around YOU way more than YOU are around US. Almost every fairly successful Black Person is the extreme minority where they work or where they live. The higher you go, the Whiter it gets. That said, we have conversations with White people. All Day. Everyday.

Please dont see this as a look at me I'm down and cool type post. Those who know me here IRL can attest that's not me.

White people are the minority in my complex so I have made many black friends here. Before the rona I regularly attended parties where I was the only white person in attendance. Believe me it was awkward at first but everyone made me feel comfortable. Played a lot of bones and banged a few nubian queens.

Only once did someone call me out saying , What the fuck are you doing here, and he was promptly kicked to the curb.

Not sure what my point is, but that I love black women and they love me.

• Hook 'Em 1

25 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

This is so simplistic it's almost child-like.  Trying to conflate a single person who's entire schtick is being the "heel" to an entire organization?  Just stop.  The entire ratings of the UFC is not predicated on CC.  Whether you agree or disagree, the ratings are dropping like a lead balloon.  Is it all political?  No.  Already posted are many of the contributing factors.  But of course it plays a part.  Arguing looting, destruction, and razing entire communities that need the most help tends to dilute the "basic human rights" message - unless you disagree?

You act as though I just came out of cryo this year. I was here for the first time Kap kneeled in a football game. We all were. People were saying then that they were going to boycott the NFL. It had shit to do with politics. Now that they've been able to attach to BLM being Marxist the narrative has changed. The NFL is locking arms and not kneeling but now it's because BLM is a terrorist organization. We aren't stupid. This is the University of Texas Austin message board. We are all grads of higher learning, and fully capable of seeing the shifting. Try that shit somewhere else.

4 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

BabaYaga is trying to defend verbiage that is intentionally meant to have racial undertones but have plausible deniability to people who all went to college and had classes that taught us to to recognize them for what they are. The fact that he would try that tactic and think that he would get away with it proves that the first sentence in his post I bolded actually speaks more about him.

When my brother was young, he once told my mom(after playing with matches) that the matches were on top of the refrigerator, fell off, and struck on the way down. Now I am sure that sounded good in his head and all but....

No, I reject the notion posited by Michel Foucault in the 60's that words have intrinsic root meanings that can never change.  

1 minute ago, BabaYaga said:

No, I reject the notion posited by Michel Foucault in the 60's that words have intrinsic root meanings that can never change.  

Yes, but you are twisting yourself in knots trying to come up with a reason that he said that, when the most obvious reason is right in front of you. You ever talk to a woman who is complaining that this guy she likes only wants to call her late at night, and how he must be afraid of commitment, and in your head you are thinking no....he just wants to have sex? That is what you are doing right now. You are explaining away the obvious with what you want to be true.

2 hours ago, wildcat09 said:

You said she's your only black friend, or at least your only black friend in Portland. That means she is someone who has lived every day of her life as a black person in America. That means she has family members who I'm going to guess have lived every day of their lives as black people in America. That means she probably has plenty of friends who have lived every day of their lives as black people in America. She knows her experiences and she knows all of their experiences.

She probably also has plenty of white friends too. If she's talking about these issues with you, she's probably discussing them with other white people as well. So she has an idea of what white people experience. You, given your limited number of black friends, don't really have a good idea of what black people experience. That's not a judgment, it's just a fact. She almost certainly knows, much better than you do, how black people feel about police and how white people feel about police, simply based on her experience. But you listen to her tell you her informed opinion, and you basically say "you don't know what you're talking about, you're just falling for the media story." 

Not only is that very stupid, it's also extremely insulting to this person you claim to consider a friend. You could learn something from her, you could improve your character a little, and you could be a better friend if you were interested in more than winning an argument. Redpilled dipshits don't actually give you anything for "owning the libs." 

Thanks for answering. If you think I think like most white people here, then that would be news to me. I don't think it's a terrible thing to think that it's terrible to criticize people, even friends, unless you feel i should only believe her point of view on all things black. I'm not trying to own her, I'm trying to see a different point of view that she may have not heard. 

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

Okay, see, the bolded is a logical fallacy that -- if you believe that's what the conversation is about -- completely poisons the conversation from its inception.

Black people are not the ONLY demographic targeted by police brutality, misconduct, and lying.  ALL non-cops are subject to such mistreatment.  The particular situation of black people is that they are DISPROPORTIONATELY subjected to those things.  If the average white person has ONE story about the time a cop was a complete dick, lied through his teeth, beat them (or someone they know)......the average black person has FOUR such stories (ratio used for illustration - I don't know what the precise number is....we just all know that black people definitely have more of those stories).

Which all makes sense, when you view broken police culture as a creature of broken human personalities.  Think of a giant asshole you know: he's a bully, he abuses people, he treats women like shit, he lies all the time....and among those shitty qualities, he's ALSO a racist.  Think of Biff Tannen's character in Back to the Future.  He was all those things....and of all the characters in that film, don't you think he was ALSO the most likely to drop an N-bomb, or to single out a black person for particular cruelty?

Being racist is a regular feature of being an abusive asshole.  So, abusive assholes treat everyone like shit....but they often also REALLY treat black people like shit.   I really don't see why this is so hard for people to grasp and accept.  The problem here is not ONLY about race, but race is PART of the bigger problem.  And you'll note that most of the police-specific remedies being proposed (greater oversight, greater accountability, requiring cameras, banning no-knock raids, dispatching mental health officers instead of jacked up cops to certain calls, maybe even ditching the stupid war on drugs, all that stuff) are race-neutral.  Then, there are greater social remedies that are more focused on the black community (although they also have reach beyond that specific community, mostly into other distressed and poor communities), like community development grants, education reform, and the redirection of resources to prioritize those things.

The part of our body politic that faces the GREATEST stress is the part that breaks out first.  That doesn't mean that our entire body politic is not under similar stress -- it just isn't as extreme.....yet.

So I'm sorta right, but not as right if I just didn't say that many people were treated this way? I should add that this was my idea of getting more people to join in the de-fanging police. I was just giving an opinion that was to hopefully help blacks to meet an ends. 

@bad_teammate you're welcome.

34 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

I would love to conduct an experiment with you. Come to Texas, we will shoe polish you up. Put you in a brand new Chrysler 300 with 22's on it and let you drive through Bellaire and West U a couple times. If you make it out without being stopped you can go back to Portland and tell your friend that police do not target Black People.

Is it racist if black people put black face on you? 

3 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Maybe because the founders admitted as much?  Just a shot in the dark.  

The "founders" of a single registered organization.  "Black Lives Matter" is not a wholly owned corporation, with all activities organized, run, etc. by those "founders."  As in...not even close.  It is a broad movement.....and you know that.

And the "I'd listen to black folks, but they're marxists" is like, word-for-word, the same excuse used in the 1960s.

2 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Maybe because the founders admitted as much?  Just a shot in the dark.  

But that was only recently. Meanwhile, long before BLM was attached to anything your folks were trying to boycott sports when people would kneel. When teams would stay in the locker room. As long as there was anything that reminded you what the issue was about y'all were against it.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Thatguy said:

Yes, but you are twisting yourself in knots trying to come up with a reason that he said that, when the most obvious reason is right in front of you. You ever talk to a woman who is complaining that this guy she likes only wants to call her late at night, and how he must be afraid of commitment, and in your head you are thinking no....he just wants to have sex? That is what you are doing right now. You are explaining away the obvious with what you want to be true.

Knots?  I doubt you even know you Foucalt is, or where this idea you are espousing comes from.  But ok.  I try to judge people on their intent.  And from all accounts from other fighters and commentators that know him and have known him for years, including many black fighters in his camp (or tribe as some refer to it as), it's all a gigantic act.  

Just now, Brisketexan said:

The "founders" of a single registered organization.  "Black Lives Matter" is not a wholly owned corporation, with all activities organized, run, etc. by those "founders."  As in...not even close.  It is a broad movement.....and you know that.

And the "I'd listen to black folks, but they're marxists" is like, word-for-word, the same excuse used in the 1960s.

mainstreaming-of-martin-luther-king-avlo

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, BabaYaga said:

Knots?  I doubt you even know you Foucalt is, or where this idea you are espousing comes from.  But ok.  I try to judge people on their intent.  And from all accounts from other fighters and commentators that know him and have known him for years, including many black fighters in his camp (or tribe as some refer to it as), it's all a gigantic act.  

But he came out and said Tribe to someone from Africa, and said smoke signals. It's not like it's some vague connection we are talking about here. I get it. You have yourself backed into a corner, so I will let it go.

• Hook 'Em 1

If you move this thread to the CR then where will the "NO CR!!" folks be able to go hold their circle-jerk of posting the same politically-driven echo-chamber hot takes over and over?

I volunteer to leave this thread back to the human-centipede ouroboros of like-minded snowflakes that it was prior to a few of us stepping in and challenging assumptions. I think it's important for everyone to have safe spaces, even if the safe space is basically a cess-pool of Affliction shirt bros who think listening to Joe Rogan makes them a philosopher.

Deuces.

Edited by BradInATX
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Nobody is saying it is, but it seems more and more than the ones doing the rioting and destruction, the ones utilizing these tactics & rhetoric.  The "clenched first of Communism" isn't helping either.  

3 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

If you move this thread to the CR then where will the "NO CR!!" folks be able to go hold their circle-jerk of posting the same politically-driven echo-chamber hot takes over and over?

I volunteer to leave this thread back to the human-centipede ouroboros of like-minded snowflakes that it was prior to a few of us stepping in and challenging assumptions. I think it's important for everyone to have safe spaces, even if the safe space is basically a cess-pool of Affliction shirt bros who think listening to Joe Rogan makes them a philosopher.

Deuces.

c603f724adae245d3232976ae8d65660.jpg

• Hook 'Em 4

6 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

Deuces.

Outstanding edit.  Really brought the hammer down.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, MissingInAction said:

Please dont see this as a look at me I'm down and cool type post. Those who know me here IRL can attest that's not me.

White people are the minority in my complex so I have made many black friends here. Before the rona I regularly attended parties where I was the only white person in attendance. Believe me it was awkward at first but everyone made me feel comfortable. Played a lot of bones and banged a few nubian queens.

Only once did someone call me out saying , What the fuck are you doing here, and he was promptly kicked to the curb.

Not sure what my point is, but that I love black women and they love me.

One of my coworkers is a white guy who exclusively dates black women, and is married to one. He is also a hardcore Repub. We share war stories all the time.

• Hook 'Em 1