Liverpool FC: 20 for 20-21

Firemans4Horn

Premier League Celebration GIF by Gini Wijnaldum

We fucking did it! GET IN!

Going to be tough to top last year.  Feels pretty damn great to be Premier League champions and finish on 99 points. Supercup and Club World Cup winners as well. All the banter we’ve dealt with for the last 20+ years can get in the bin.

What to look forward to next year: front 3 keep firing on all cylinders, emergence of Naby, Neco/Curtis/Rhian/Harvey getting more minutes, Back 5 continue to be rocks. 

Man City and Chelsea are going to spend this summer. United look much improved. Can we keep the game to game intensity we have the last 24 months? Klopp has turned doubters to believers and I 100% believe we’re going to attack the title and not “defend” it. 

CC75F4C1-C437-411A-A2E5-E2FE37559CD6.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

What a season. Klopp will have the boys fired up for a repeat – the silver lining to not getting to 100 points this year is that we have a goal for next year.

Minamino and Keita will be our "like a new signing" guys, and we'll bring back Brewster and possibly Wilson. I doubt Wilson can crack the first team but you never know. We have to buy a new CB (heavily rumored with Schalke's Turkish defender Ozan Kabak) and I would really like a new attacker. Sarr seems to be the rumor du jour but I'd much rather have a guy like Traore, though he'd cost us an arm and a leg.

Lots of playing time for Jones, Elliott, Neco, and maybe Hoever. Other position of need is a LB. Gini's contract is also something we need to get done.

How many days until Sept 12?

What a season. Klopp will have the boys fired up for a repeat – the silver lining to not getting to 100 points this year is that we have a goal for next year.
Minamino and Keita will be our "like a new signing" guys, and we'll bring back Brewster and possibly Wilson. I doubt Wilson can crack the first team but you never know. We have to buy a new CB (heavily rumored with Schalke's Turkish defender Ozan Kabak) and I would really like a new attacker. Sarr seems to be the rumor du jour but I'd much rather have a guy like Traore, though he'd cost us an arm and a leg.
Lots of playing time for Jones, Elliott, Neco, and maybe Hoever. Other position of need is a LB. Gini's contract is also something we need to get done.
How many days until Sept 12?

I dont think we bring Brewster back if Swansea makes the Epl. I see us loaning him right back to get Epl minutes. He has been on fire with them.

Now if they dont win the playoff I still might loan him off one more time to a team coming up if they are interested.

After next year though I would think that's when he joins first team for start of Liverpool career

A letter from Dejan:

"The game of football is everything to me and I have tried throughout my tenure at LFC to be the best I can." 

"Playing for this amazing club was a privilege, it comes with responsibility. Wearing the badge was an honour.

"The last six years have been a crazy ride. We have been through it all, our relationship has been evolving and was a source of intense feelings.

"In the end, optimism, desire, togetherness and honest hard-work have brought us to the heights of domestic and European football, moments none of us will ever forget.

"Before I first walked through the doors of Melwood I promised myself I would give all I have to ensure that one day I could look back and have the satisfaction of knowing I have given everything to the club that opened its doors to me. Today it is my turn to say goodbye to Liverpool FC.

"Although I am no longer a team member, I don’t look at this as an end to our relationship. We have written history together and our memories will last forever."

"None of this would have happened without the collective force that makes this club what it is.

"So, I want to thank everybody, in particular; My teammates who were always incredible competition on the training ground and amazing support off the training ground, I will always be here for you.

"The Boss, Mr Klopp, who was the man that installed an unbreakable belief in me and the team – I thank you for your guidance and inspiration. The training staff who have made us the savages we are.

"The staff behind the scenes that make the club tick – our home would not be what it is without you, I thank you for everything you did for me and the team over the years, you know who you are.

"The fans – There has been a lot of love and criticism, and I respect each and every one of you, rest assured all I ever wanted to do is win, and win we did! The City of Liverpool – Thank you for having me and my family. You will always have a special place in our hearts.

"What else can I say. I will miss the spirit of the club, the city, the people. I will see you around my friends, and I wish you all the best."

What kind of wages is Willian on at Chelsea? He's out of contract this summer – wouldn't mind him on a free tbh. He wouldn't play much but he'd be a good backup attacking option and at 31, he's still got a couple good years left. Obviously unlikely, for any number of reasons, but given our tight pursestrings and his availability, we could do a lot worse.

4 hours ago, 406W30th said:

What kind of wages is Willian on at Chelsea? He's out of contract this summer – wouldn't mind him on a free tbh. He wouldn't play much but he'd be a good backup attacking option and at 31, he's still got a couple good years left. Obviously unlikely, for any number of reasons, but given our tight pursestrings and his availability, we could do a lot worse.

Probably 200-250k. Not sure if he'll find that other than maybe China

45 minutes ago, maninblack said:

Probably 200-250k. Not sure if he'll find that other than maybe China

What made me think of him as a possibility was the Beeb's gossip column, which said he has two "concrete offers" from PL clubs. Almost certainly bullshit though and I can't imagine anyone paying him near those kinds of wages.

Seems like every team needs a CB. We've been linked with Ozan Kabak, who sounds like a promising talent. He's just 20 years old and plays for David Wagner, an old chum of Klopp's, and no one else seems to be linked with him. I wouldn't expect us to get into any sort of bidding war with Schalke, nor will we meet his £40M release clause, so if we can't get him at a favorable price, what are the odds that we just bring Nat Phillips back to be our fourth-choice CB?

Phillips got 19 appearances in the Bundesliga II last season and reports from Germany sound like he looked the part. He also played for us when he was briefly recalled for the derby and he looked pretty good, from what I remember, especially for a guy who was just thrown into a makeshift lineup with teammates he never plays with.

Phillips is always a guy who plays well during preseason then gets loaned out somewhere and he hasn't had a real shot at the first team. Given that he's now 23 years old, I would think we have to either give him a shot or see what we can fetch for him in the transfer market.

I don’t know why a 20 year old would want to come here to sit on the bench? VVD-Gomez should be our starting CB’s the next 5 years with Matip one of the best 3rd centerbacks in the world. I think you’re much better off looking for an older guy that can play the part 5-8 games a year; like a better version of Kalvan. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Firemans4Horn said:

I don’t know why a 20 year old would want to come here to sit on the bench? VVD-Gomez should be our starting CB’s the next 5 years with Matip one of the best 3rd centerbacks in the world. I think you’re much better off looking for an older guy that can play the part 5-8 games a year; like a better version of Kalvan. 

I don't know if he's better than Gomez but I'm guessing he thinks he's better than Gomez. He'd also get a significant pay raise, play for the best manager in the world, and play on a team that competes and wins trophies at the highest level. He ain't doing that at Schalke.

I guess in my original post I was more asking if we think Nat Phillips is a guy who can play a role in the first team this year. I think we could do worse, but I'd also like someone who's challenging for first-team minutes.