Liverpool FC: 20 for 20-21

Firemans4Horn

19 minutes ago, pied said:

Anybody hear about Sepp Van der Berg? (sp?)  just seems like he's been ignored.  HAven't heard anything about him that I can recall.

He played in an FA Cup match and a few League Cup matches. Was pretty shaky, as I recall.

• Hook 'Em 1

Getting depressed with our lack of transfer business and thought I'd ry to break it down a little.  Going with the premise that our starters are A/A+ adn we are sticking with a 4/3/3

Keeper - Alisson/Adiran - No business unless there is a free option for Adrian

CB - VVD/Gomez/Matip - we have several young guys.  We see somebody good, that's versatile, sure. Matip won't play a full 38 and the other guys will need a rest.  - Luxury signing at best.

FB - TAA/Robertson - Need a LB, but I'm not too arsed about it.  Williams/Hoever/Milner in a pinch.  Can move Joe out right(or left) and bring in Matip.  Still need a solid LB imo.  A cheaper up and comer is good.

MF - Fabinho/Henderson/Keita/Gini/Ox/Milner/Elliott - I just listed 7 guys for three spots,  so we're pretty good.  Question mark if Gini stays.  Put me in the camp to re-sign him opposed to starting anything new.  Only exception is Thiago, but give me Gini over him slightly for continuity.  - Need new blood, but we cvan't get Elliott who I'm really high on, so not sure where they would play.  - Thiago or young guy or bust for me.

F - Mo/Mane/Bobby are about as strong as you can get.  Minamino showed promise, but couldn't seal the deal.   Origi is an OK sub, but think I'd rather sell him, and let Takumi or Brewster get his minutes.  Would have loved Werner/Havertz maybe Sancho, but who are they getting the minutes they want and need from?  - I love the continuity, but we need to be in the market this year or next for a replacement.  We missed out on a few potentials, but still as strong as anyone in the world in the competitions we play in.  To me, the biggest question is if Brewster stays and can make his mark.  Go big or wait until next year.  

It's a little frustrating, but I can see the club's position at the moment. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, maninblack said:

Scuttlebutt hitting twitter that Jamal Lewis may be a go at LB. 

Reddy's description "provide competition" to Robbo is a bit of a stretch, but I'd gladly take him.

Sarr, Jamal Lewis, and the Algerian CB (or Kabak) would be decent, if frugal, business.  

Edited by 406W30th

Depressed is a pretty strong word considering we just won the league, plus conquering Europe last year...Our team is loaded with world class talent in the prime of their careers and you're depressed we dont sign a few spares to sit on the bench?

• Hook 'Em 1

There are literally 0 non-oligarch/state owned clubs with money to spend this summer. Some teams might have cash when a player is bought off them but that is about it. Complete buyers market with less than 10 clubs that can buy across Europe. 

Congrats to city and Chelsea for the once in a lifetime shopping spree with FFP blowing up simultaneously but the FSGout contingent online can get bent. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Norwich apparently asking £20M for Lewis. Obvious posturing but I doubt we go above £10M for a backup LB who's gonna need a fair amount of coaching up. We've also scouted Kostantinos Tsimikas, a 24-year old Greek from Olympiakos.

The caveat of it being a YouTube compilation, but the Greek looks fast as hell and a really good attacking player.

16 hours ago, Bone3421 said:

Depressed is a pretty strong word considering we just won the league, plus conquering Europe last year...Our team is loaded with world class talent in the prime of their careers and you're depressed we dont sign a few spares to sit on the bench?

Agree depressed is an exaggeration.  Just got done reading all the Sancho to manu rumors/etc.  and was feeling sorry for myself.  Talked myself out of it logically though.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Firemans4Horn said:

Norwich are a very well run club. They don’t have to sell if they don’t want to. And they aren’t going to sell at cut rate prices. 

Agreed, but it feels like it's in their best interest to sell. Player wants to leave, they have a ready-made replacement, and tbh it's good for their club stature to sell players to Liverpool. (I realize how arrogant that sounds but just like how they can point to James Maddison's success at Leicester, it's a nice selling point for their academy recruiting to see players go on to massive clubs.)

Pretty sure we get this one wrapped up in the next few days but I'm not too fussed either way, assuming we get the Greek kid in if Lewis doesn't work out. He looks a bit more polished to me. 

Tsimikas played for Olympiakos against Wolves yesterday in Europa League and it sounds like he looked the part.

Tbh I'm kinda hoping we sign him instead of Lewis, because he seems like he'd actually be able to slot in for Robbo in games other than the cups. I think Lewis is very much a work in progress.

Lewis played 3800 minutes in his age 20/21 season in the championship and 2800 minutes in his age 21/22 season in the premier league. That’s a lot of game time for our scouts to evaluate.

Robbo played 2800 premier league minutes in his age 22/23 season the year we signed him from Hull. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 406W30th said:

Tsimikas played for Olympiakos against Wolves yesterday in Europa League and it sounds like he looked the part.

Tbh I'm kinda hoping we sign him instead of Lewis, because he seems like he'd actually be able to slot in for Robbo in games other than the cups. I think Lewis is very much a work in progress.

You may get your wish.

From This is Anfield:

Straight onto Plan B

It was widely reported that Liverpool had bid £10m for Jamal Lewis on Thursday – and had the offer immediately rejected by Norwich.

Now Greek media say the Reds have moved swiftly on and want to close up Plan B for the position instead: Kostas Tsimikas.

The Olympiacos left-back played against Wolves last night and Sportime say the club already have a proposal from the Reds – and half the Premier League are watching on.

Leicester and Everton are noted as keen, in particular.

Yeah, good either way.  Move on, or say we are for negotiation leverage.  

Prefer to be in the competition, but part of me is glad we have some time off.  If the Manshester teams and Wolves play into late August that's ok with me w/the season starting 9/12.

Edited by pied
  • Hook 'Em 1

Been a huge fan of Tsimikas for at least four days now. Very excited to see us land him.

I wonder if he might be able to cover at RB as well, because apparently he's got a good right peg on him. No questioning his athletic ability – dude is fast as shit.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, mdmost said:

Who's next? Any updates on Sarr or Ben White? I saw some rumors about David Brooks from Bournemouth as the Lallana replacement but that seems a bit too pricey for a backup. 

No news but I think we'll get Sarr done. Makes too much sense for all parties. I'm not as bullish on getting Ben White though. Brighton will play hardball and I don't think we'll be willing to pay the asking price. The Brooks rumor is so out of left field that it feels either spot on or complete horseshit. He had a great season the year before last but I'm skeptical that he's anywhere near the quality we need.

We've also been linked with an 18-year old Brazilian CF named Talles Magno. No way in hell he gets a work permit though.  

16 hours ago, Firemans4Horn said:

Not Just Soccer at Preston and a little south of Lovers. Guys that worked there were cool. I’m glad I got to try it on in person because I had to size up from New Balance. 

Is the Nike more true to size?  Got the kid one from soccer.com.  Also, which one did you go with?  Decided to go with the ~$90 one since the crest/etc. is embroidered vs. the iron on/stuck on.