Liverpool FC: 20 for 20-21

Firemans4Horn

1 hour ago, BrickHorn said:

Hard to believe that was basically the same back 4 that dominated the prior two seasons. They looked awful today. 

Some poor tendencies creeped in during our Champions march. Objectively we have been an average to poor defensive team since the February break. There's no disputing that.

18 minutes ago, maninblack said:

Some poor tendencies creeped in during our Champions march. Objectively we have been an average to poor defensive team since the February break. There's no disputing that.

Agreed. It’s just such a huge drop off from the back line’s previous dominant form. Just a year ago, Virg looked unbeatable. Now he routinely makes bonehead David Luiz level mistakes.

My son is a defender. I used to always use Pool’s opponents for teaching moments. Now I frequently say things like “What Van Dijk just did is why I always tell you to play simple first touches.” I mean, I was just yesterday coaching him on why not to cross your feet and touch with the outside of your foot (“You’ll end up putting a through ball to the opposing forward.”) and then the best centerback in the world does exactly that today.

Edited by BrickHorn

Gotdamn Salah was sharp today. Thoroughly deserved his hat trick, even if two were penalties. His second goal was an absolute laser.

Jones' cameo was nice as well. His confidence is incredible and he does not look out of place at all among the big boys. Naby had a great first half and I thought he should've been fed a simple ball from Firmino to finish, but Bobby tried to take it himself. Bobby looked amazing in spurts but pretty frustrating overall.

Nice to walk away with three points. Leeds are going to give a lot of teams a real fight this year.

If our biggest concern is whether or not Virgil can pull the back line's collective head out of its ass, that's fine by me. Our attack looked pretty great against Leeds and if that continues, we'll be just fine.

I really hope that Jones, Minamino, and Keita can start supplying some goals though. Their legs will be the freshest in what is going to be a grinding season. Maybe I'm worrying too much about how much football Mané and Mo have played but I think fatigue is going to be our biggest concern over the course of the season.

• Hook 'Em 1

Watching the match this past weekend, it was hard not to think of how valuable Gini is to this side. I've said it before but I'll say it again – no way he leaves this window, unless the fee is massive. He simply cannot be replaced at this point and it'd be better to have him for this season and lose him for free next year than to take something like £15M.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

The other bit of news that Joyce tweeted was Thiago's fee will be paid in equal installments over 4 years. That allows us to move some players like Wilson, Grujic, etc and still have money to buy a CB or Forward if we wanted.

Adding Thiago and extending Gini (if true) also bridges the development gap for Jones. Klopp can bring him along at an easier pace and he'll get to train alongside a world class midfielder.

This one is a game changer.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Sarr looks to be around 40M to purchase as Watford bought him for 30M. I would think Edwards doesn't want to spend 40M right now but I figure he'll try to work his magic and sell off more pieces to fund another big purchase. I'd really hate to sell Brewster though unless there's a buy-back clause thrown in.

I'm so happy the midfield has been sorted. I wonder how early Thiago gets in. 

We've gotta get something for Wilson and Grujic. It might not be quite what we hope, but even £25M for the two of them would go a long way toward getting Sarr.

I'm guessing clubs are holding out as long as they can to try and get the transfer fees down, but I'd be pretty surprised if they're Liverpool players after the window closes. Speaking of, when does the window close again?