Liverpool FC: 20 for 20-21

Firemans4Horn

Going to preface this with I'm not tactically as knowledgeable as the rest of you. So going forward, what do we think the starting 10 will be? How do you get Gini, Hendo, Keita, Thiago, and Fabinho all out there together? I know they'll bring Thiago on slowly but when he's fully entrenched, what then? Do you do a rotation between him, Hendo, and Gini? Do you sit Bobby some and push Keita up? Do you slide Fabinho back more till Gomez or Matip show they're reliable? This seems like a wonderful problem to have. And Jota is to come. 

Edited by mdmost

3 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Going to preface this with I'm not tactically as knowledgeable as the rest of you. So going forward, what do we think the starting 10 will be? How do you get Gini, Hendo, Keita, Thiago, and Fabinho all out there together? I know they'll bring Thiago on slowly but when he's fully entrenched, what then? Do you sit Bobby some and push Keita up? Do you slide Fabinho back more till Gomez or Matip show they're reliable? This seems like a wonderful problem to have. And Jota is to come. 

I think there will be CL lineup, top 6 lineup and bottom 14 lineup with certain midfielders packaged according to who we’re playing. 

2 hours ago, mdmost said:

Going to preface this with I'm not tactically as knowledgeable as the rest of you. So going forward, what do we think the starting 10 will be? How do you get Gini, Hendo, Keita, Thiago, and Fabinho all out there together? I know they'll bring Thiago on slowly but when he's fully entrenched, what then? Do you do a rotation between him, Hendo, and Gini? Do you sit Bobby some and push Keita up? Do you slide Fabinho back more till Gomez or Matip show they're reliable? This seems like a wonderful problem to have. And Jota is to come. 

Paused my rewatch to answer this.

You're question should be answered in two ways. The way I'd expect Klopp to play the team vs the way I'd play the team.

1.) I tend to believe Klopp will stick with a 4-3-3 most games. With Hendo being the Captain I believe he'll be in that 3 on most occasions. Also, Gini and Fabs are established. All that makes me believe that Klopp's preferred 3 will be Fabs/Gini, Thiago and Hendo

2.) I would choose "horses for courses". From a talent perspective our best 3 is Fabs, Thiago and K8A. That said there is definitely teams/situations where Hendo, Gini or maybe even Ox works into that 3. 

The beautiful thing about Thiago is that he opens the door to so many possibilities. Change formation or put more MF on the pitch it doesn't matter. He makes everything possible. 

So my midfield would be variable but Fabinho and Thiago would be bolted on. Then I'd pick Naby on most occasions as my third but would mix in others when appropriate.

5 hours ago, mdmost said:

I think we'll see a fair amount of 4-2-3-1 throughout this season, particularly in CL games:

Hendo-Fabinho

Mané ---Thiago ----Keita

---------Salah

This allows for an incredible amount of flexibility and lets us rest/rotate players whenever we need: Jota can play on either wing or up top, Gini can play in any of the central three midfield spots, Thiago could slot in for either of the two pivot spots, Fabinho can play CB if we need him to. Then there are Jones, Minamino, Ox, Milner, and Elliott...

The acquisition of Thiago and Jota has given Klopp a ridiculous amount of options and suddenly we are arguably the deepest squad in the league. Indeed a good problem to have. 

• Hook 'Em 1

16 hours ago, maninblack said:

I don't see us using K8A on the wing like that but anything is possible

Well, I think it'd be more of a 4-2-1-2-1, with Keita playing more centrally than our wings play in our standard 4-3-3.

---Hendo ----- Fabinho

-------------Thiago

Mané--------------Keita

-------------Salah

We'd be very reliant on our fullbacks providing the width in this formation, but that's pretty much our SOP.  Mostly I just want to find a way to get Naby on the field with Thiago, along with plenty of defensive work rate behind him so he's not burdened with having to win the ball back. He hasn't really found his feet in any of our current formations and I like the idea of him starting in a more attacking position, allowing him to exchange with Mané.

No idea if that's something we'd ever see, but I do think Klopp will see the opportunity to freshen things up a bit and throw some curveballs in our bigger matches.

13 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

We need a natural striker. Not sure what Sarr brings when we just got Jota. But Trust In Klopp.

Not going to pretend that I watched Sarr in his Rennes days, but apparently he played quite a bit as a center forward with them. And you'll remember that when Bobby came to Liverpool, he was pretty much an out-and-out #10. 

As for what he brings to the table, Sarr is really different from Jota. He's one of the fastest players in the league and super raw. Jota is isn't nearly the athlete that Sarr is but he is a very intelligent player and good finisher. Jota is ready to spell our front three today; Sarr is gonna take some time.

I really, really hope this deal goes through. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Pearce said on Sunday we’re done for the window. That makes sense to me.

Klopp likes a lean squad with everyone engaged and I have no idea when Sarr would get minutes especially if we love Elliott as much as I’ve read we do. It was a Jota or Sarr decision, I would be shocked to see both. 

• Hook 'Em 1

47 minutes ago, 406W30th said:

I really, really hope this deal goes through. 

Personally, I'd prefer to wait. The underlying metrics with Jota are there but I'd prefer to bed in one guy in the front 3/4 over the course of the season than two. They'll be plenty of options available next summer and more certainty, knock on wood, in the world. 

As it stands we have Mane, Mo, Bobby, Jota, Taki, Origi, Shaq, Elliot and Ox that can all play up front. Granted one or two of those might be sold but until Mo or Mane want to make a move I'd stand pat. If and when one or both of them want to make a move we'll be shopping in a more established market to replace them hopefully.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, maninblack said:

Personally, I'd prefer to wait. The underlying metrics with Jota are there but I'd prefer to bed in one guy in the front 3/4 over the course of the season than two. They'll be plenty of options available next summer and more certainty, knock on wood, in the world. 

As it stands we have Mane, Mo, Bobby, Jota, Taki, Origi, Shaq, Elliot and Ox that can all play up front. Granted one or two of those might be sold but until Mo or Mane want to make a move I'd stand pat. If and when one or both of them want to make a move we'll be shopping in a more established market to replace them hopefully.

This. I like Klopp/Edward's transfer policy. Sure, we occasionally miss out on the Werners, but we also miss out on the Kepa's. It's conservative, but saves us money when we need to pull the trigger on guys like Alisson or VVD.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 9/20/2020 at 1:47 PM, mdmost said:

tenor.gif?itemid=17053080