Help me cook this rooster.

This fella is going on the chopping block tomorrow, and he thoroughly deserves it. We're even thinking of holding a trial for him before he goes under the axe.

So.... How should we cook him once he's cleaned? What's your favorite way to do farm fresh chicken?

20200726_160120.thumb.jpg.b332311a3f30492b4d0f27a4d0a9b44f.jpg

Edited by Walden Ponderer

9 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Do you even coq au reisling bro?

Regularly. Trimbach’s entire business model is based on me making it as long as they keep it so cheap. If @Walden Ponderer didn’t live in a shithole like college station, I would make it for him tomorrow with his soon to be headless buddy.  I’d even make some crème fraîche from scratch.

Fuck, if I know anything about myself, and I think I do, I’m gonna end up making this tomorrow.  

• Hook 'Em 1

We slaughtered and butchered our seven roosters two weekends ago.  Did beer belly chicken with one of them the next night.  Brined him overnight.  On the pit for a few hours over oak.  So damn good.  If he's big enough, that might be a good choice.  We vacuum sealed and froze the other six.

Love the coq a vin idea.  Just sent that idea to my wife for supper tonight.  

csb - In 2009 I spent more than 100 days/nights in Nigeria running a couple construction projects and more days in 2008 and 2010.  Our local Project Manager was a French dude (white guy) who was married to a Nigerian lady.  They had a nice house in an upscale Port Harcourt neighborhood.  I would go over there on Sundays for lunch and drinks, just to get away from our compound.  They raised chickens in the back yard.  One Sunday, they butchered the rooster, and we had coq au vin.  We would dine on the back patio, and when they brought out the coq au vin for lunch, the other (surviving) chickens began going crazy, making noise and flapping etc.  I guess they could smell their old buddy who was now cooked in the wine.  Interesting experience.  /csb.

tl/dr - Had coq au vin in Nigeria with backyard raised chicken.

13 hours ago, sidis said:

Regularly. Trimbach’s entire business model is based on me making it as long as they keep it so cheap. If @Walden Ponderer didn’t live in a shithole like college station, I would make it for him tomorrow with his soon to be headless buddy.  I’d even make some crème fraîche from scratch.

Fuck, if I know anything about myself, and I think I do, I’m gonna end up making this tomorrow.  

Dude, I'm in Chapel Hill now. Orange (slice) chicken for the win.

Seriously, though, he was about five months old. Doesn't seem too tough, so a slow roast ought to be just fine.

6 hours ago, CycleTex87 said:

csb - In 2009 I spent more than 100 days/nights in Nigeria running a couple construction projects and more days in 2008 and 2010.  Our local Project Manager was a French dude (white guy) who was married to a Nigerian lady.  They had a nice house in an upscale Port Harcourt neighborhood.  I would go over there on Sundays for lunch and drinks, just to get away from our compound.  They raised chickens in the back yard.  One Sunday, they butchered the rooster, and we had coq au vin.  We would dine on the back patio, and when they brought out the coq au vin for lunch, the other (surviving) chickens began going crazy, making noise and flapping etc.  I guess they could smell their old buddy who was now cooked in the wine.  Interesting experience.  /csb.

tl/dr - Had coq au vin in Nigeria with backyard raised chicken.

I totally believe it.  My wife mostly takes care of our chickens.  I made sure that my son and I were the ones snagging them out of the coop and butchering them for that reason.  I didn't want them associating that experience with her.  Usually, when we open the coop to let them range during the day, they come busting out.  For the next week, they all kinda chilled in the corner when we opened the door.  Especially me.  Even though we did the butchering on the other side of the property, they wanted no part of leaving the coop.  And, they still want no part of me.  They know when something's awry.  

8 hours ago, Spaulding Smails said:

We slaughtered and butchered our seven roosters two weekends ago.  Did beer belly chicken with one of them the next night.  Brined him overnight.  On the pit for a few hours over oak.  So damn good.  If he's big enough, that might be a good choice.  We vacuum sealed and froze the other six.

Love the coq a vin idea.  Just sent that idea to my wife for supper tonight.  

More cock in your freezer than Jeffrey Dahmer. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1