Renewable Energy Options in Houston

Relocating to Houston from Austin. Austin Energy offers a program where you pay a marginally higher rate for electricity (like $0.0075 per kwh or something) and the utility purchases wind power to match your use.

Looking for a similar option in Houston. Don't own a home so I can't just put solar on the roof. I see companies like Green Mountain and Green Energy Exchange on Google. I'm sure big boys like Reliant/NRG/ whatever they're called these days have similar options. If anyone has a rec for or experience with one of the renewable options in Houston, it'd be much appreciated.

City of Houston, for reference. Not the burbs. Don't want to be with all those aggy.

You can just go to power to choose.com & choose 100% renewable. & yes, most all the big guys have renewable options. You do know that the actual electricity your getting to your location, probably isn’t all renewable no matter what.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Power to Choose sucks ass. Too many BS, highly engineered plans that screw people. Use Texas Power Guide. For $10 their tool will show you the cheapest plans based on your actual monthly power usage. The tool also shows you 100% renewable plans, which are only slightly more expensive (sometimes equal to) plans with lots of coal and gas in their mix.

https://www.texaspowerguide.com/

Bernard

Edited by Bernard
  • Like 2

You do know that the actual electricity your getting to your location, probably isn’t all renewable no matter what.

Of course. Still, I think the marginal rate increase is worth it when it signals consumer demand for renewables, funds investment in capacity, etc.

On 7/27/2020 at 8:20 PM, tokamak said:

When my contract was up a month or so ago, Green Energy Exchange had the cheapest fixed rate 100% renewable.

Honestly it seems like a pretty small time outfit, but if someone buys them out they have to honor your contract so IDGAF.

The one worry with an unknown energy provider is if they shut their doors. Then you are transferred to the provider of last resort, and they’re not known for being the cheapest. I’ve known at least 2 people that have faced this situation. You can transfer but might take a few weeks of 18 cent per kWh first.