Fuck Cancer

Nuge

29 minutes ago, AnotherUTFan said:

Sorry for y'alls loss.

They found cancer in my Dad last year when he went in with a sore shoulder. 2 months and 2 days later he was gone. I still can't believe it.

Fuck cancer.

Dang man, sorry to hear that.  Hope your family finds peace and healing.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AnotherUTFan said:

Sorry for y'alls loss.

They found cancer in my Dad last year when he went in with a sore shoulder. 2 months and 2 days later he was gone. I still can't believe it.

Fuck cancer.

Oof - sorry to hear that.  That's rough.

After some time to reflect on my friend's passing I feel I need to stay in better contact with friends and family and tell them I love them more.

• Like 1

My dad had was diagnosed with urethral/penile cancer 3 years ago.  Beat it - didn't have to do radiation or chemo.  My aunt (his sister) had ovarian cancer in the 90s and beat it, she then went for her annual mammogram about 6 months ago and they found some abnormal cells - removed them and did radiation.  Now she's having a biopsy done of her bladder which is showing some abnormalities.  She had genetic testing done along with my dad to show common cancer genes and if they run in the family.  Thankfully, I do not have these genes as the test came back clear (mom's side of the family is relatively healthy).

MD Anderson and their doctors/nurses are literally the best on the planet.  My dad's cancer was so rare that his doctor down here was the only person in the US that has familiarity with his condition.  People fly in from all over the world to see him.  Something like 100 people on the planet have had my dad's condition.  Literally saved his life.  I will forever be indebted to them.  They allowed him to see his only grandson.

My wife's aunt has a very rare type of leukemia as well.  It's an ongoing battle and she was just referred down here to MD Anderson as well.  She came in for her appointment, the oncologist looked her previous bone marrow biopsies, switched her to a new drug for three months.  Prognosis is cloudy as there has yet to be a "cure" found for her condition.  It's experimental at this point.

The worst job I ever had was working at MD Anderson Children's Cancer Hospital.  I was in the AV department and set up all of their meetings, conferences, etc.  The job itself wasn't bad; it was seeing all of those bald headed children, wondering if they would make it.  I left work everyday with a broken heart.  I appreciate and look up to all of the doctors and staff that help those kids.  It's got to crush your soul to take care of and become close to a child only to have them pass.  Must make the success stories all that more rewarding and meaningful.

Dad passed away while I was at UT from lung cancer. That was a rough semester. 

Closest childhood friend (went to UT together, I was in his first wedding) passed away at 39. Left behind a wife and five kids. One of the greatest guys I ever knew. I spent a lot of time wondering why him and not me (single, no kids, pretty damn selfish person in general). 

Fuck cancer - fuck it right in the ass. 

3 hours ago, Nuge said:

The worst job I ever had was working at MD Anderson Children's Cancer Hospital.  I was in the AV department and set up all of their meetings, conferences, etc.  The job itself wasn't bad; it was seeing all of those bald headed children, wondering if they would make it.  I left work everyday with a broken heart.  I appreciate and look up to all of the doctors and staff that help those kids.  It's got to crush your soul to take care of and become close to a child only to have them pass.  Must make the success stories all that more rewarding and meaningful.

I've said it before in conversation, but I can't imagine a worse job in the world than pediatric oncologist.

I imagine that you have to be in it for the wins.  But knowing myself, my mind would eventually be consumed by each and every one of the losses, and I couldn't live with it.  I really couldn't.  For the folks who do that job, and can handle it, God bless them.  Seriously, mentally, they are going into the most brutal battle that I can imagine, every single day.  I couldn't hack it.  They are better than I am, by far.  And thank God for that.  Because we need those wins.

I had a cousin named Robbie, he was a year younger than me. When i was about 13 his parents split. It got ugly. His Mom got custody and after a year or so he was barely allowed to see our side of the family, his Dad moved off.

So when he was 14 he gets diagnosed with Leukemia. He lived most of the rest of his life at MDA. I only saw him once during that period. He died when he was 16. At his funeral his Mom came over to where I was with my family and grieving grandparents to tell us we were not invited or welcomed at the service. Fucking bitch. We stayed.

To this day I sometimes reflect on my life and how the world's changed in the last 30 plus years, and I feel sorry that he wasn't here to see it.

Also, sometime around 1986 National Geographic did a story about MDA. My Grandmother had saved it because there were several pictures of Robert (as he became called post-divorce) in it. If anybody happens to have a copy laying around, AUTF would like it.

Mom went in for bad heartburn two years ago. ER doc told her it was an esophageal hernia that they could fix. “Oh and you’ve also got stage 4 ovarian cancer” and left the room. I have his name and professional history and home address. I’ll give him back his personal kindness when I have the chance. 

Docs in south TX said, “well...we can make you comfortable for the next 3 months”. So I immediately moved her up to Austin in my neighborhood, got her some real docs and she’ll be at my kids’ lacrosse and baseball games again this spring. It’s come back but not today buddy. Not today. 

Edited by EtOH
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Eddyline said:

MD Anderson is hands-down your best shot.  Absolutely saved my wife's life.

i can't say enough good things about mdacc. simply put, they have saved my life as well as the lives of friends and family.

if you're on the fence about going there for treatment, do it. it makes me so sad when i hear about folks that would rather not bother because it's too far or inconvenient. you can never give up hope...and mdacc is chock full of hope.

I love me some MDAnderson. I’m a patient and treatment has been top notch. Two major (cutting through my abdominal wall to fix shit) surgeries and a total of 72 hours in the hospital. I still have that little 10-25% chance of being dead in five years but that’s not MDA’s fault; that’s just luck of the draw.

Also, sometime around 1986 National Geographic did a story about MDA. My Grandmother had saved it because there were several pictures of Robert (as he became called post-divorce) in it. If anybody happens to have a copy laying around, AUTF would like it.

For like $12 you can get a digital subscription to National Geographic and that gives you access to every issue ever printed.

I have many friends who work in labs, are now med students, etc. in the Houston Med Center/MDA area. They certainly do a great job and I have great respect for them.

My mom is currently in treatment at Dana-Farber/BWH in Boston for rare low-grade neuroendocrine tumors in her lung and liver (it's a weird disease in that its not as it sounds, that is to say that her life expectancy is measured in years not months unlike most cancers that have metastisized like that). But yeah, she's only 54 and should be passing away in 30-40 years, not 3-4, so fuck cancer.

I had a family friend who was diagnosed with advanced colon cancer with a bad prognosis. Treatment began at Dana-Farber, but when first-line was unsuccessful, they went for a second opinion at M.D. Anderson. The Dr. at M.D. Anderson essentially gave the same advice for second-line as the doctor's at DF. Not liking this advice, the patient than sought a third opinion at UCLA, another very highly rated cancer center. Again, same advice. Not liking this advice, they went the homeopathic route and the guy was dead in a few months, vs. a few years he could've maybe had if the second-line had been effective.

The reason I say this is that for most cancers, if you are treated at a top 10 cancer center, all the doctors have access to the same approved treatments, clinical trials, and surgical expertise necessary to get you the best care. I really do think there is something to be said for being able to stay close to home, around your family, etc while you're going through a tough time. 

If you live in Houston and you don't get the news you want at MDA, don't expect moving to NYC and going to Sloan-Kettering to be a magic bullet.

Where it really does matter though is podunk hospital oncologist who handles all kinds of cancers vs. specialty oncologist at a research hospital.

My $.02.

Edited by RiceOwl
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

I've said it before in conversation, but I can't imagine a worse job in the world than pediatric oncologist.

I imagine that you have to be in it for the wins.  But knowing myself, my mind would eventually be consumed by each and every one of the losses, and I couldn't live with it.  I really couldn't.  For the folks who do that job, and can handle it, God bless them.  Seriously, mentally, they are going into the most brutal battle that I can imagine, every single day.  I couldn't hack it.  They are better than I am, by far.  And thank God for that.  Because we need those wins.

I'm in the same boat.  I couldn't hack it.  Walking through the hallways the walls are covered in artwork made by the children.  I would always wonder if the artists made it or not.  I hated feeling so crushed when I left work every day.  

I think my SIL is entering her final battle setting up her loss to the cancer war. Palliative care is being arranged after her long running battle with stage 4 colon cancer that has spread to her lungs and lymph nodes. It now appears to have started growing in her hip bone.

Chemo no longer seems to be slowing the cancer’s advance. Her mobility is declining and she is succumbing to the immense and constant pain. She is starting to take some serious pain meds that cause her to sleep most of the day.

This is going to crush my wife. Her sister is her only sibling. Fuck.

just got this message from my cousin:

"OK. I went to the Dr. yesterday and they told me I had one of the worst lung cancers they'd seen. Both lungs are in bad shape. Said I could live a year if everything goes great. Keep me in your prayers."

kick to the nuts. this guy had a tough life, but turned it around about 20 years ago. gave up the drugs and booze and was a stand up guy. wish he'd have given up the cigarettes, too.

FUCK CANCER.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Lost one of my best friends at 42 last year.  Had colon cancer, that was surgically removed by MDA, and enough lymph nodes removed and checked for them to recommend no radiation.  He went in for his 3 month, 6 month, and yearly checkup and was clean. He got a hernia about a week after his yearly checkup with MDA. Went in to his GP and they found his entire stomach was a ball of cancer, I can’t remember which. MDA kept him going for a few more months, then told him it was all they could do, and to get comfortable for his remaining 3 months.

They went to OK to cancer centers of America and they extended his life for another 18 months. About 12 months in, after none of the treatments were working, they decided they would surgically remove it. 17 hours in surgery and it was completely removed...only to return with a vengeance and completely encapulsate him before his 3 month checkup. His remaining the months were the hardest thing I’ve ever witnessed. He went from a large (6-2, 260) man to being so frail we could, and would, carry him at points. His boys were 5/6 and 7/8 at the time. I couldn’t wrap my head around it, I know that they couldn’t. 

This is the only cancer I’ve ever been around. That’s my only friend who’s ever passed. I don’t think I have cried in 20 years prior, but I balled like a baby many times over the final week of his life. We were gathering with family and close friends in their barn between his death and funeral. His BIL had called into Michael Berry show for the pop a top segment that Friday, and they actually engaged in conversation for a good 3-4 minutes - college, career, family, etc.  I somehow caught the segment before and after, live on my way home from work that day. I can’t imagine had I heard it live, it would have put me in the ditch. When his wife played it for us; I’ve never seen so many grown men break down. He passed the day after their 10 year anniversary  

I wish Jimmy had had better luck at MDA; there is no doubt they do tremendous things. They just didn’t have the answer, no one did.

I’m sorry to all of you who have been affected by this terrible disease. 

RIP Jimmy

My sister just got diagnosed with cancer. :(  She's seeking treatment at M.D. Anderson in Houston in the coming week; let's see how it goes.

It's on the right side of her tongue-- which is crazy because she doesn't chew tobacco, nor smoke, nor drink much alcohol.

Apparently there's a spurt of oral cancer in the U.S., and usually on the right side. May be it has to do with cell phone over use?

My 2 year old nephew was just diagnosed with Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia three weeks ago and started chemo treatment immediately. At his age they can usually treat it successfully but he’s also got pneumonia. With no immune system that’s what could actually do him in. It’s been rough on the entire family. My 4 year old and 6 month old nieces have been staying with us since he went into the hospital so my sister and BIL can stay with him around the clock. If all goes to plan, he’ll be going home in a week or so but has to continue weekly chemo treatment for the next couple years. 

Its crazy how this shit can come out of nowhere and just upend your life and everyone around you. Fuck cancer 

• 4 weeks later...

Had my first yearly scans for stage 3 rectal cancer at MDAnderson. Colonoscopy, ct of abdomen and pelvis and blood work. All negative. Surgery site looks pristine, no masses in the abdomen and blood work normal. One down, four more to go (you’re as close to cured as possible after five years).

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Bill Clinton said:

Anyone with cancer should give dry fasting a try. Your body eats up all unnecessary cells searching for energy. Sucks if you are skinny already it's tougher.

For every person this has worked for, 100 have died from not being able to keep on weight from their cancer.

On 6/15/2018 at 3:14 PM, Hanrahan said:

Had my first yearly scans for stage 3 rectal cancer at MDAnderson. Colonoscopy, ct of abdomen and pelvis and blood work. All negative. Surgery site looks pristine, no masses in the abdomen and blood work normal. One down, four more to go (you’re as close to cured as possible after five years).

Congratulations!  That first-year scan is definitely the most nerve-wracking.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...
1 hour ago, Zepol87 said:

I'm drunk and high I'm sorry to searched fkr the cancer thread but it didn't work the search sucks. My cousin died at 10:38 from colon cancer he is 35. Didn't know where to post man for real. God damn same age dying 

Very sorry to read that. Died way too young. RIP. Fuck Cancer.

If you have a history of colon cancer in your family, you should start having your colonoscopies at an earlier age than what is considered standard.

I’ve learned a lot about cancer over the last few years. My wife died of a particularly nasty variety almost two years ago. Fuck Cancer.

Peace to you.

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

On 12/10/2022 at 2:07 AM, Zepol87 said:

I'm drunk and high I'm sorry to searched fkr the cancer thread but it didn't work the search sucks. My cousin died at 10:38 from colon cancer he is 35. Didn't know where to post man for real. God damn same age dying 

That sucks man, I'm sorry. 

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
55 minutes ago, DFWTexEx said:

My turn.

My 81 year dad (the greatest guy I know) was diagnosed with glioblastoma multiforme (very aggressive brain cancer) in July.  In June, he had been very active and the picture of health, so this came fast and strong.  At the time, we were told it was stage 4 and only palliative care (radiation and chemo) was ordered, along with some PT.  In addition to his PCP and treatment team, I consulted informally with doctor friends and we all agreed on this plan. It was all we could do.

The radiation has been completed and the chemo will be completed in a week or so.  I don't expect there will be much more to do (as I was told early on).  BUT, I owe it to my mom to at least ask.  We are in touch with MD Anderson.  They want to expedite his next MRI (which will not be easy for him) and come to Houston for a consultation.  We are in the Valley and this would be a hard trip for him.  And, we don't really know what benefit there will be, if any.   Maybe some help with the symptoms and quality of life and maybe we would get a couple more months.  There is no cure.  Should he join a trial if he is eligible?   Right now, he is unsteady and can't walk around on his own.  His cognitive stuff is awkward but ok. He is not in pain, has a good appetite and is in good spirits.  We take him out for "adventures" (dinner, shopping etc.) and we sit around as a family around the pool and laugh and sing.  We are enjoying every day with him and he is too.   Do we disrupt all that for a something that we don't know?  We definitely will not do anything that would put him in pain or cause any bad side effects. We were also told to consider some sort of head gear that he would wear 24/7...we are not doing that.  Choosing not to do anything else after the treatments end will just put him in God's hands.  

I don't post much on here (although I have been around since the hookem.com days) and I don't think I have ever posted anything this personal.  I really don't know why I am posting, but maybe somebody has something that will help us think about all this.   Or maybe just for prayers.  

Hook 'em

You're doing right by your old man, and that counts for everything.

Listen to the docs, after telling them your goals/concerns, as honestly and plainly as you stated them above.  They'll tell you whether a trial makes sense for those goals.  They'll tell you of the risks he faces that involve pain and suffering (maybe a protective helmet would ensure that he doesn't actually cause cognitive injury if he falls).

You can't predict the future, neither can the doctors.  You'll be making the best decisions you can, based on the information available.  And doing it for the right reasons.  And that's the story of our entire damned lives.  Do the best with what you've got, and love the people you love.  You're doing it right.

• Like 1

Brisket covered it.  Stage 4 is a wide net, and can mean one spot on a liver easily removed, or like my dad, everywhere in his body.  So not knowing any more than I do, the only thing I would add is that there are MRIs and MRIs. Just like there are lots of cameras that take pictures, some cameras take pictures better. When MDA was treating my cancer a few years ago, there were two particular MRIs they wanted me to use, as they took a better scan than the others for my particular needs.    Sometimes they want you to go to them just because they can’t trust the people he is seeing. And I’m sure they would love to get the revenue from the MRI rather than the local people. Like Brisket said - those are all good questions and they should be able to answer them for you

And you are doing it right. And your father is lucky to have you.

2 hours ago, DFWTexEx said:

My turn.

My 81 year dad (the greatest guy I know) was diagnosed with glioblastoma multiforme (very aggressive brain cancer) in July. 

Sorry to hear that.  My dad had it, did the radiation and steroids but not the chemo.  He made it a few months and honestly it didn't seem like he was terribly distressed, due to the palliative care.

I would suggest calling the docs at Duke.  There are two brothers there who are leading experts in treating this cancer.  They told me to get my dad down there pronto, but he elected to just ride it out at Barnes (StL).  Everyone charts their own path, be there for your dad (as you clearly are) and relish the moments.  He might be one of the few "lucky" ones.