PSA- Newer GE Refrigerators Water Filter hack

So we've had our fridge for a year and I just had to purchase a 2nd water filter for $49.99.  No generics are available as it requires the RFID chip for your ice maker and fresh water to work.  After 6 months, the water system shuts off if filter is not replaced with another $49.99 filter.  Keep in mind generics of the same shape and size without the chip are $17, with some people claiming they have found them for $10.  Attached link has the info, and click on the comments for additional "how to" with regard to the hack.

I just got off the phone with GE and they are sending me my "plug" filter with the chip.

https://www.groovypost.com/howto/hack-rwpfe-water-filters-ge-fridge/

5 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

You should take your GE fridge out and run over it with a John Deere tractor

I felt like doing the Office Space printer act when I bought that 2nd filter in 12 months...  $100/ year for water features to keep working...SMDH.

It will be the last one we buy from them, for sure.

Lots of comments about old HP printer cartridges too...

Edited by slorch

Stay away from Samsung unless you don't care to have an icemaker.  

Fucking this.

Every three weeks need to hold down the stupid reset button on the ice maker to get the motor cranking again.

Every 6 months need to take a hair dryer and melt the ice that builds up around the motor.

Of course this all started right after my warranty expired.

6 hours ago, High Plains Drifter said:

Some would say it all started going wrong with leaf blowers. Others say it was mobile phones that started the abysmal tide. I say it was when we started filtering perfectly fine tap water.

I love it. Dirt Bike would be proud. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, 66BUFF said:

Whirlpool also sucks at making ice / not breaking down. 

I've got a 15 yo Whirlpool side by side and have had zero problems. It will probably die all at once, but it's been faithful.

24 minutes ago, RPM said:

I've got a 15 yo Whirlpool side by side and have had zero problems. It will probably die all at once, but it's been faithful.

My Whirlpool in my bar is 7 years old and the ice maker has been replaced three times under warranty.  Once the warranty ended and quit fixing it.

I have a GE fridge in my garage that is 23 years old and it runs like a champ.  Has never been in an AC  room/space.

49 minutes ago, Okie State said:

It's almost as if everyone has varying experiences with different brands. If you research appliances at all every brand has a huge range of reviews. Except Samsung which are pretty much universally shitty.

If they’re all a crapshoot, and I don’t dispute that notion; I’d prefer to do business with a manufacturer who doesn’t charge repeating premiums for shit that doesn’t improve the experience with their product.

If they’re all a crapshoot, and I don’t dispute that notion; I’d prefer to do business with a manufacturer who doesn’t charge repeating premiums for shit that doesn’t improve the experience with their product.

No argument from me there. I'd also default to American built if possible which is part of the reason I went with KitchenAid/Jenn-Air (Whirlpool) this time and will consider higher end Blue Star and Sub-Zero in the future. Some companies are a mix though so it's not always easy to tell.

Back in the 80's I used to haul out of a factory in Arkansas that made 3 different brands. Think it was Whirlpool, Frigidaire and Kenmore (I could be wrong). Point being, these were identical refrigerators, freezers, washers and dryers that had different logos slapped on them.

So, I walk into Lowes

Salesman:  How can I help you?

Me:  I'm looking for a dishwasher, and don't show me a samsung or LG or I will be forced to fuck you up right now and right here.

Salesman:  I understand completely...completely.    Check out this Bosch.

• Like 1

My 3.5 year old GE profile has been broken since the beginning of the month. Repair guy has been over 3 times already, it's still not fixed, and I just got a call cancelling my followup appointment on Monday because the part they ordered (which he said was in stock when he ordered it) is out of stock and won't become available again until the 17th of August.

I've been living out of my college beer fridge and a cooler. Finally broke down a bought a deep freeze. I will never buy anything from GE again. Yes I know they sold the appliances division, they can still suck my dick.

Sounds like some cocksucker who ran a printer company got fired, so he went to work for GE appliance Division. Putting a chip on the filter is pure chickenshit, and will cost them market share. Looking forward to GE dishwashers, dryers and egg beaters that require scheduled maintenance by authorized technician. "Citizen, your dishes may not be clean. Any attempt to mute unit's voice communications may result in bodily injury or severe electric shock. Message will repeat in ten minutes."

On 7/28/2020 at 9:38 AM, 66BUFF said:

My Whirlpool in my bar is 7 years old and the ice maker has been replaced three times under warranty.  Once the warranty ended and quit fixing it.

I have a GE fridge in my garage that is 23 years old and it runs like a champ.  Has never been in an AC  room/space.

Ueqh.gif

On 7/27/2020 at 11:33 PM, High Plains Drifter said:

Some would say it all started going wrong with leaf blowers. Others say it was mobile phones that started the abysmal tide. I say it was when we started filtering perfectly fine tap water.

On 7/28/2020 at 6:33 AM, deadshank said:

I love it. Dirt Bike would be proud. 

It's the tide. It's the dismal tide. It's not the one thing.

On 7/27/2020 at 11:33 PM, High Plains Drifter said:

You have never been to San Angelo.