2021 TE Gunnar Helm

texifornia

Boyd's eval:

Helm is a pro-spread tight end prospect. He’s already getting work at his Colorado high school as a flexed out receiver and some as an in-line blocker. He’s effective as a receiver, cutting into open spaces, catching the ball, and using his size to present a big target and box out defenders. As a blocker he’s not yet doing Texas-type work base blocking big ends but mostly bullying outside linebackers and safeties in space. Like everyone else Texas has recruited at that position, he’ll need a lot of time to bulk up and get used to heavy duty blocking work in the box. The receiving stuff will come much more easily, assuming he’s not limited by weight gains which at 6-foot-6 is unlikely. – Ian Boyd

https://insidetexas.com/recruiting-gunnar-helm-picks-the-longhorns/

Just now, Getafix said:

Hook 'em and welcome!

Some comments on the Surl suggest he may not be much of a receiver, mostly a blocker.  Boyd's note suggests the opposite ... is he way off?

He’s a receiving threat all the way. He plays a lot of flexWR right now and is still growing. 

3 minutes ago, Fud said:

Looks like a standard Big 10 TE who get drafted every year

Exactly. 

“where in the fuck does Iowa (and Wisconsin) keep finding all these 6’6” TEs that can run and catch?” — Everyone. Every single time anyone sees those 2 teams play. 

2 hours ago, Getafix said:

Hook 'em and welcome!

Some comments on the Surl suggest he may not be much of a receiver, mostly a blocker.  Boyd's note suggests the opposite ... is he way off?

I've only watched the highlights but what caught my eye was his blocking skills more so than his ability to get open and create space as a receiver.  As pointed out, he was mostly blocking smaller players. But, it was impressive to see him block and lock in on guys in the open field especially at his size.  He seemed more mobile as a blocker than receiver, and imo, displayed very sound technique that you don't see very often in HS.  His highlights remind me a lot of Cade who showed a lot of promise as a True Freshmen before injury.  I am by no means writing Cade off.

Edited by Hmmm
  • Hook 'Em 2

• 3 weeks later...