Cheated death stories.

crash_davis

When did you cheat death, like you should've died but for some reason you didn't.

For me, 4 times.

1. Fishing Shoalwater Bay in Seadrift in a kayak when a thunderstorm blows through. Wind blows 30-40 mph. Drapes of rain coming at me sideways. Constant lightning all around me. I knew I was going to die. Luckily I didn't. But some guy got struck by lightning and died a few minutes earlier on the beach in Corpus where the storm started. Read about it when I got back home.

2. After my wife's boss' Thanksgiving party in Palestine, I was tired and let my wife drive us back home to Dallas. Was asleep in the passenger seat when I woke up to her yelling as the car was swerving all over the northbound lanes of I-45. Car goes backwards, shoot across the grass median and onto incoming traffic in the southbound lanes of I45. And then car steers itself backward back into the grass median where we stop. No idea how the hell we didn't crash into cars. Turns out she fell asleep driving. That was the LAST time I ever let her drive when I am in the car. Going on 20 years.

3. When I was 5 or 6, I didn't know how to swim. Family was fishing a pond where I was playing by myself a ways away along the shallows in a tube. I accidentally paddled the tube to deeper water, jumped out and went straight to the bottom. Arms were flailing and thrashing. Luckily my older brother saw the commotion and ran over and grabbed me out of the water. I remember being submerged in water choking on water and then I wake up lying on the shore coughing up water. No recollection of getting saved by my brother. 

4. Filling up suv in Cuero. I click the auto filler upper thing, walk inside to piss. I was on my way back from POC fishing in my skiff which was I towing back to Austin. Walk out of the store and there's a dude in a truck on the street next to the Shell honking his horn and yelling. I can't understand him but he's pointing to my SUV. I then see a big ass puddle under the car. I run over to the car, reach out  to the nozzle, then slip straight onto my back onto the ground with my face right under the nozzle. Gas is pouring onto my face and in my eyes. I reach up and slap the nozzle, it stops. I had slipped on a few pebbles. I have no idea how in all that commotion I didn't create a spark to blow myself up.

Side story, I take off all my gas soaked clothes. I'm standing in the parking lot in my boxers thinking how the hell am I going to move my car and boat which is sitting over a lake of gas. Gas station guy told me to start the car and move it. I handed him the keys and said you do it. Anyway, as I'm arguing with the guy when a lady drives up in a car and starts hitting on me. I reek of gas, I'm in my skivvies and she's inviting me down to her place in Port O'Connor where she and her girlfriends like to get away to "have some fun." She gives me her card and tells me to call her the next time I'm down that way. I joke to my wife that it was the L'Eau de Petro cologne. Surreal moment all around.

Edited by crash_davis
  • Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Incorrectly answered my wife when she asked "do these jeans make my butt look big?"

"No, your ass does."   got you in trouble?  You didn't have to go all Col Jessup on her...

Folding booms out on a big sprayer, I laid the end on a power line; the bottom wire. I had always heard the bottom wire is just a ground, and it must be, as nothing happened. I gingerly lifted the boom off the bottom wire (with remote hydraulics) and drove out. Finished the day like it was nothing.

4. Filling up suv in Cuero. I click the auto filler upper thing, walk inside to piss. I was on my way back from POC fishing in my skiff which was I towing back to Austin. Walk out of the store and there's a dude in a truck on the street next to the Shell honking his horn and yelling. I can't understand him but he's pointing to my SUV. I then see a big ass puddle under the car. I run over to the car, reach out  to the nozzle, then slip straight onto my back onto the ground with my face right under the nozzle. Gas is pouring onto my face and in my eyes. I reach up and slap the nozzle, it stops. I had slipped on a few pebbles. I have no idea how in all that commotion I didn't create a spark to blow myself up.

You started the gas and just walked away? Not smart.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

1.  Fell off of a ski lift when I was 6.  Was fiddling with my poles when they stopped the lift, it swung back and the forward, tossing me off in the process.  About a 30 ft. drop.  Thankfully there was some powder on the ground to cushion the blow a little bit.  Bad concussion and broken ribs.  If I had landed on the rocks a few feet away I’m probably not typing this.

2.  Was racing another car in hs.  It was real late and there were hardly any other cars on the road.  We were approaching a stop sign on a 3 lane road and I could see the other car had no intention of stopping.  There was a car stopped at the intersection in the middle lane. He was in the right hand lane and I was in the left hand lane and we were just going to blow right by the stopped car, except for the fact that as soon as that car cleared the intersection they changed into the left lane.  I swerved onto the other side of the road to avoid the collision, over corrected trying to get the car under control, and went into a spin, which thankfully slowed us down a little bit.  When I hit the median, we flipped and rolled over a couple of times.  Walked away with only a few bumps and bruises.  If I had hit the other car, prison was probably my best case scenario 

3.  Had a really crazy person shoot a gun at my moving car.  They missed.  A week later they did the same thing to someone else and didn’t miss.   They currently reside in Huntsville.

4.  Decided to drive back to school from Dallas really early on Monday morning instead of going back on Sunday night.  Left around 4 a.m.  Fell asleep on southbound 35 between Killeen and Georgetown.  Woke up spinning in the grassy median.  Came to a stop and probably sat there for 10 minutes. 

Ages 17-27. Pretty much any day every day. More often than not drove home from drinking and did not remember how I got home or when I left. Played in a frat party band and part of the pay was access to the kegs. I made sure I got paid. Not as dramatic as most stories on this thread will be, but absolutely the truth. Miracle that I didn't kill myself and others. I have since learned better. 

Met this unbelievable girl in a music store. Got her number. Took her out. It was an innocent date. I was a kid. She was a kid. I drove her up to her house to take her home and she said, "Oh shit! My brother! Get out of here!" He was running at me and screaming. I took off as fast as I could run. He was screaming "You better run you motherfucker!" I was younger and lighter and got my ass to a phone and called the cops so I could go get my car without getting killed. He had broken two windows and pulled the driver side door almost completely off from the body of the car. Good thing I was fast because if he had done to me what he did to my car I'd  'a been kilt. 

Edited by Not that Bob
Offer something more interesting.
  • Hook 'Em 2

Had an old single shot 12-gauge when I was growing up.  The firing pin was fucked up so my redneck uncle made one out of a nail, IIRC.  It must've been a millimeter too long because it would leave a scrap along the bottom of shells when you closed the chamber. It also made it a bit difficult to close sometimes.  Shot a dove, and reloaded. Did the one hand snap close and the pin caught the shell just right, it fired, and blew out of my hand.  No damage but I was like 18 so I just chalked it up to a freak accident.  Later that same day, I raised it to fire, cocked the hammer, had my finger on the trigger and as I aimed I noticed that it was not quite closed. The firing pin had lodged just right and left it just barely open.  That freaked me out. Never shot that gun again.  Actually, I'm not sure if I've shot any gun since then. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1. I've been told this story but I don't remember it - reportedly I was 2 years old, and my brother (8 years older)  was swinging a sledge hammer and he hit me with the handle, Knocked me out cold, since I awoke fairly quickly and seemed alright there was no trip to the hospital for this one.

2. I was 4 years old, sitting on the team bench at my brothers baseball game; I have a clear recollection of this one, I'm sitting there playing with a glove, our team is batting so the bench is full. All of the sudden there is a crack of the bat, the glove slips from my hands and I start to lean forward to pick it up as I notice everyone around me diving off the bench. Ball hits me in the middle of my forehead, and once again I'm KO'd. This time I go to the hospital, get a cold pack and sent home. For almost a year you could see the stitches from the baseball on my head. The next summer, years before it became the norm to put up a fence in front of the dugouts. 

3. Driving to go skiing, about a 3 hour drive, with 4 of us in my car. Going 70-75 on the highway and we hit some black ice, in moderate traffic; car does a complete 360° and we just kept right on our way. Nobody said anything for about 5 minutes, then we started laughing; I stopped at the next exit and let someone else drive the rest of the way because the more I thought about it the more it bothered me.

4. Went to Catholic school for 7 years, never got sexually assaulted

Edited by Wally Fairway
speling corectshun
  • Hook 'Em 1

1.  Riding my 10-speed to middle school.  I was generally ok on the road; however, on this day, there seemed to be a lot more traffic than normal.  I decide to use the sidewalk.  I'm going about 20 mph down a hill which leads to a 50-foot or so bridge over a shallow creek.  Just before I get to the bridge, I hit a huge uplifted crack in the sidewalk and lose control.  It's kind of hard to explain, but I ended up leaning completely over the bridge of the fence, looking down at the rocks.  To this day, I still feel like something pushed me back to the left and away from edge.  Added bonus, I end up flying back into the street but, luckily, no cars were going by at that time.

2. This one still gives me nightmares.  Some friends and I are inner tubing in the Smoky Mountains.  Of course, we're drinking.  We get to a part where there's a rope swing into some deep water.  We're swinging here and there off of about a 10 foot high deck someone had built off the side of a tree.  About three jumps in, I'm dared to take the rope further up the side of the mountain and jump from there.  We're talking at least 50 feet up.  When I hear my "Texan-hood" get challenged, I accept.  All I remember is jumping and realizing about halfway down that I have far too much momentum to be able to hold onto the rope.  I slid into the river at such a speed and angle, that I kind of skipped the surface like a rock.  I distinctly recall feeling the hair on the back of my head brush over rocks at the bottom as I let go.

1 hour ago, crash_davis said:

1. Fishing Shoalwater Bay in Seadrift in a kayak when a thunderstorm blows through. Wind blows 30-40 mph. Drapes of rain coming at me sideways. Constant lightning all around me. I knew I was going to die. Luckily I didn't. But some guy got struck by lightning and died a few minutes earlier on the beach in Corpus where the storm started. Read about it when I got back home.

I was fishing a kayak tournament when something similar happened.  The front was supposed to come through around 2:00 pm, but showed up at 10:00.  That morning we decided to fish Boggy Bayou in POC instead of Shoalwater, so it was much easier to get back to the vehicles.  Still flipped the kayak and there was 2 feet of water where I had parked my Tahoe that morning.  There were a hundred or more kayaks stranded from POC to Aransas Pass for several hours that day.

5 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Plane crash in Kabul. Helicopter crash in El Salvador. 

Ambushed in El Salvador, Peru and in Afghanistan. Afghanistan included multiple IED hits. 

Caught in a riptide in the Pacific. 

Married a Dominican. 

Got lost in the woods in Canada when I was 9 during the winter. 

During the 1980s a good friend’s BIL was eating & drinking in an outdoor cafe patio in San Salvador when some rebel terrorists did a driveby and machine-gunned him and several other gringos.

Just now, Armybrat said:

During the 1980s a good friend’s BIL was eating & drinking in an outdoor cafe patio in San Salvador when some rebel terrorists did a driveby and machine-gunned him and several other gringos.

I was there when the marines were hit. In the Zona Rosa. 

I was almost hit by a train crossing a double tracked railroad crossing in high school. It was late at night and I saw a train coming very slowly from the west. A cross road was parallel to the tracks so I decided to take a left and cross at the next crossing before the train made it there. All of the lights were flashing but this was before all the tracks had cross arms. I never thought to look east for a train coming from the east on the other track. As I crossed the track the engineer lays on the whistle. It was going about 40 and missed me by about 30 feet.

1 hour ago, Not that Bob said:

Met this unbelievable girl in a music store. Got her number. Took her out. It was an innocent date. I was a kid. She was a kid. I drove her up to her house to take her home and she said, "Oh shit! My brother! Get out of here!" He was running at me and screaming. I took off as fast as I could run. He was screaming "You better run you motherfucker!" I was younger and lighter and got my ass to a phone and called the cops so I could go get my car without getting killed. He had broken two windows and pulled the driver side door almost completely off from the body of the car. Good thing I was fast because if he had done to me what he did to my car I'd  'a been kilt. 

You were encroaching on his turf, weren't you? 

18YO still in high school working at seed processing warehouse, as in corn/ sorghum/ etc.  A seed cleaning machine is a series, usually 5-7, of  giant sifting tables , about 15' by 20' tilted at one end, shaken by pulleys and electric motors.  Each level has a different grade of sifting hole to either get the chaff out or let the seed glide over it while the little debris falls through.  The top is about 25' high  is fed by a conveyor/ elevator from the grain in the back of a truck or we had large bins similar to what you see watermelons in at WM. The elevator broke down, and  I climbed up and got the top end unlatched from the strap securing it in place from a beam of the building. The bottom of the elevator canted and I started leaning too far back to keep my balance.  I dropped the elevator and it simply landed on top of the seed cleaning machine.  I was still falling backwards, and swung my hand blindly at the strap that once held the elevator in place.  Whiff!!!  Grabbed again, and caught myself and prevented falling backwards, most likely head first in the concrete 25' below. I was at least at a 45degree angle when to the ground when I saved it on the strap.   Climbed my ass down and asked foreman if I could go on break.   We had a...um...less than documented crew of 4 other guys  that gave me a standing O for the recovery.  I was scared AF.

Working environment, not OSHA approved, LOL

I was in Kenya near the Somali border at the height of Somali piracy stuff.  It made me nervous as hell and I told my wife my concerns.  She basically laughed at me for being worried.  (Because of a ridiculous set of facts that aren't worth going into), we were about a mile from land and had to hop off one boat onto another that appeared out of nowhere full of people we did not know.  I'm thinking to myself, this is -- quite literally -- the worst place on planet earth to be doing this right now.  I am whispering to my wife that if things go sideways, roll off the back of the boat, swim to the shore over there, we will figure it out from there.  She thinks I'm nuts.

The ship wasn't pirates.  It was exactly who they said they were.  They took us to a beautiful vacation spot and we had the time of our lives.  Why so serious? My wife mocks this whimpering shadow of a man she's married.

Coda: my wife gets contacted by the AP the next year.  "We see you posted some pics of this remote Kenyan island.  There aren't many pics of it out there.  Can we use yours for a story?" "Uh, sure, what's the story." "Oh, nothing big, just some mother fucking pirates raided this mother fucking island, machine gunning a husband and took the wife hostage."

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I think I told this on Shaggy, but in 2014 I was run over by a golf cart. We were at Crystal Beach and my mom and I took the golf cart to see a friend a few sections over. She was driving and one of my kids was in front with her, and I was sitting in the back facing out with my other kid. I'm not entirely sure what happened, but when she backed out onto the street, the gas pedal got stuck and we went across the street into a ditch filled with about 8 inches of water. Mom and the kids were fine but I went forward and the cart kept going and stopped with my head under one of the wheels, in the water. She didn't see where I was at first and tried to drive it out of the ditch, but it spun out on my head. I had thrown my arms in front of me when I fell, and was able to push up on one of them just enough so that I was able to get my mouth and nose above water a few seconds at a time. I was about 99% positive I was going to die right there, under a golf cart in a ditch at fucking Crystal Beach, but by then my mom had started screaming for help and some people came running over and got it off me. I had a baseball-sized lump on my forehead, most of the skin on my left palm and fingers was gone, and I was pretty sure my arm was broken. 

Someone called 911 and I ended up in the ER at UTMB where they cleaned me up and gave me every possible antifungal, antivirus, antibiotic, etc, because Crystal Beach muddy ditch water. They had to debride my hand in the burn unit and that was by far the worst pain I have ever experienced. Even with a ton of morphine and a fentanyl "popsicle". I couldn't use that hand for a month. I had two black eyes and a bandage-wrapped head wound, and a bruise on the underside of one forearm that was the entire length of my forearm. My arm wasn't broken though and I didn't die, so that was nice, I guess. I try to avoid golf carts these days.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

In the 80s I had a Suzuki GN400, pretty good little bike with one cylinder that'd knock your nuts off, a brake cable that stuck, and the helmet that came with it almost but not quite fit.

So I'm zipping around the hills NW of Auburn Alabama headed toward Lake Martin, nobody but me, left right up down, perfect motorcycle road.

For some unknown reason, I start singing "Brown Eyed Girl" while I zing around the curves.

I get stuck on a verse, what the hell comes next? "Down by the old mill... the old mill..."

STOP SIGN AT A CROSS ROAD

I register it so late that I figure I'll wreck if I try to stop in time, and in a split second I think about how deserted the road has been, so I just go through

AW FUCK THERE'S A TRUCK, but he'll be across first

AW FUCK HE'S PULLIN A TRAILER

I miss the back of the trailer by a pygmy gerbil's cunt hair. Oh, and there was a car tailgating the trailer, didn't see that either. I shot the gap at the only non-dead time I could have hit it.

Got to the top of the next hill, stalled the bike, seriously considered puking.

2 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Am I missing something in OP’s #4 story? He got gasoline all over himself? Doesn’t sound like a close call at all with no flames nearby. 

depends upon how hot the chick was... but of course, no pics available.

10 years ago I was on my way home late at night and went off the road doing about 70.   Surfed a guardrail for a little bit then then started barrel rolling.  Landed upside down in a creek underwater.   Had to break some glass to get out.   Not a scratch on me other than where my fist broke through the glass.   Phone was wet so I couldn't call for help.  It was 3am in the middle of nowhere, and the few cars I tried to flag down didn't stop, so I just walked home.   This can be verified by "some dude" who got me in a lot less legal trouble than I should have been in.  I only had to pay restitution on the guardrail and court fees.      

• Hook 'Em 1

When I was 18, a lunatic demanded the heads of my older brother and his best friend.  So I went to war and quickly found myself defending an ancient fortress under siege by the enemy for the better part of a year.  I nearly starved to death.  We survived only by eating horses, household pets, and even our own dead until eventually a smuggler broke the enemy's lines and brought us a meager supply of onions to sustain us until the siege was finally lifted.  I'd say that is the closest I have come to cheating the Seven Hells, though recent events have me wondering.

• Fuck You 1

Posted the picture in another thread, but posted again below. I had about a 10 mile drive down winding backroads from work to another highway to get home. Every night I would time myself from the parking lot to the stop sign of the main highway. One night running it late at night I lost it in a corner and hit a tree almost head on. I figure I was doing 100+ when I left the road, cleared some small trees and brush which slowed me down before hitting the tree. I wasn’t wearing a seat belt, so all I can figure is I hit the airbag and wedged between it and the door because the steering column broke. Woke up some time later, had someone from the nearby house call 911, and set on the side of the road waiting on the ambulance. I walked away beat up and still have some issues from it, but I walked away.

Had some other close calls over the year, but this was definitely the closest.

83CF8AEC-FC9A-41A8-B333-A6AD7A2910E9.jpeg

Had to be rescued by Lifeguard from a riptide in Daytona Beach one summer.  Jr and I had been tossing a football in the surf when I realized I couldn't touch bottom, luckily he is a bit taller and was able to walk out.  I was already worn out when I realized I was in trouble, fortunately the LG was paying attention and got me out.  I defied death the next day by going parasailing a week after a mother/daughter had lost their lives doing the same further down the coast. 

Late 70's....went to Lubbock to bar hop with friends...when we were done at 02:00 my dumbass decided to drive home.....09:00 I woke up in my driveway 75 miles later and had no idea how I got there.....walked around my truck checking for damage.....went inside and slept some more.

stupid stupid

When I was about five, my dad took my brother and I in his pickup to the bank. We were sitting in the front bench seat, and my dad left the truck running while he went inside to the ATM. Either me or my brother knocks the truck into reverse, and it starts rolling slowly into traffic. My dad looks up just in time, runs out and stops the truck before it rolls backwards into the street. Probably would have died if he had looked up just a little later.

Enviado desde mi SM-G973U mediante Tapatalk

TL; DR.  I and girlfriend probably should have died.

17 years old.  Driving my truck with girl friend. We had just left a convenience store, bought slurpees.  Two lane highway, with shoulders, flat ground.  Around noon, August, no rain.   Truck has no seatbelts.

I'm following a semi towing a grain trailer.  I pull out to pass.  As I get to the front of the semi, there's a pickup in front of the semi, maybe 25-30 yards ahead.  Driving pretty slow.  I'm doing 60 or so, and figure I'll just pass this truck as well.

We come up on an intersection, not marked.  Dashed line in middle of highway, still a passing zone.  No oncoming traffic.

Just as I'm about to pass the pickup, he turns left for the intersection.  No turn lights (or brake lights that I recall).  I swerve onto the shoulder, but his left front contacts my passenger door of my truck. Truck goes sideways....towards a ravine, maybe 6-8 feet deep.

I don't know how many times my truck rolled.  All I do remember after the contact and truck turning sideways was ground coming up towards the windshield.

Truck comes to a stop upright and I'm blacked out.  I start to come to, and all I can feel is the seat is wet.  My initial thoughts were blood.  The cab of the truck is pushed down close to my head, and I look to the right, and the cab is torn off.  The girl with me (Holly) I can't find.  I immediately panic.

I feel something on my feet...it's Holly.  Somehow, she was thrown into the floor of the truck, her torso on the transmission tunnel, and her head over the brake pedal.  She's moving around.

Maybe 20-30 seconds pass, and she's asking if we are ok.  I smell gas.  Driver's door will not open, but the back glass is gone.  Holly is struggling to get out of floor, and she's bleeding from her head.  I climb out of seat, then crawl through where the back glass was.  I get into the bed of the truck, and it starts to hit me exactly how bad the crash was.  

Gas smell strong, and I'm scared truck is going to blow up or something.  I tell Holly she needs to get out, and she struggles to get up into seat.  I help her out.

Cars are stopping by now to check on us.  We are just shocked.

Time passes.  Highway Patrol comes by, the other truck in the accident is there (he could drive his truck, that's how little the damage was to him).  It didn't seem like much time, but it probably was around an hour or more, taking the reports, getting a wrecker, that sort of thing.  Ambulance has shown up as well, and are looking at the two of us.  Other than the scrapes we both had (I'm wearing shorts, and the tops of my thighs have burns on them from the steering wheel) we both are fine.  Holly had a concussion; I probably did as well.

Wrecker driver shows up.  I know him and he asks if he should take the truck to my dad's business.  I tell him sure, and we go off in the ambulance to the hospital.

My parent's or Holly's still have not been contacted by this point; the first my dad knew of the truck was seeing it towed in front of his shop.  He ran out, and the wrecker driver assured him we were both fine and probably at the hospital by now.

Oh, and the wet seat that caused me to think there was blood?  Slurpees, poured out everywhere.  

I got the ticket.  Passing at an intersection.  That was marked as a passing zone.

• Hook 'Em 1

1. Got electrocuted at 5, sister pulled me away, if not, I would have died. Was at Cook County hospital that Harrison Ford made famous for a month with third degree burns.
2. Got lost downtown Chicago at 4 years old, and it was 1984 when downtown Chicago was at it sketchiest. Could have easily been abducted. CPD found me and there’s a photo somewhere with me, my mom, sister, and the cops that found me.
3. Grew up in a high rise, used to ride the elevator and open it while leaving a particular floor and jump out. Almost got crushed a few times. Was a dumb ass kid.
4. Raft capsized in Canada, a few of us got stuck underwater for at least 30 seconds. Luckily, the current pushed me off from being stuck underwater.
5. Almost got arrested in Rosarito, MX. no explanation needed.

That’s all I can remember.

1 hour ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

TL; DR.  I and girlfriend probably should have died.

17 years old.  Driving my truck with girl friend. We had just left a convenience store, bought slurpees.  Two lane highway, with shoulders, flat ground.  Around noon, August, no rain.   Truck has no seatbelts.

I'm following a semi towing a grain trailer.  I pull out to pass.  As I get to the front of the semi, there's a pickup in front of the semi, maybe 25-30 yards ahead.  Driving pretty slow.  I'm doing 60 or so, and figure I'll just pass this truck as well.

We come up on an intersection, not marked.  Dashed line in middle of highway, still a passing zone.  No oncoming traffic.

Just as I'm about to pass the pickup, he turns left for the intersection.  No turn lights (or brake lights that I recall).  I swerve onto the shoulder, but his left front contacts my passenger door of my truck. Truck goes sideways....towards a ravine, maybe 6-8 feet deep.

I don't know how many times my truck rolled.  All I do remember after the contact and truck turning sideways was ground coming up towards the windshield.

Truck comes to a stop upright and I'm blacked out.  I start to come to, and all I can feel is the seat is wet.  My initial thoughts were blood.  The cab of the truck is pushed down close to my head, and I look to the right, and the cab is torn off.  The girl with me (Holly) I can't find.  I immediately panic.

I feel something on my feet...it's Holly.  Somehow, she was thrown into the floor of the truck, her torso on the transmission tunnel, and her head over the brake pedal.  She's moving around.

Maybe 20-30 seconds pass, and she's asking if we are ok.  I smell gas.  Driver's door will not open, but the back glass is gone.  Holly is struggling to get out of floor, and she's bleeding from her head.  I climb out of seat, then crawl through where the back glass was.  I get into the bed of the truck, and it starts to hit me exactly how bad the crash was.  

Gas smell strong, and I'm scared truck is going to blow up or something.  I tell Holly she needs to get out, and she struggles to get up into seat.  I help her out.

Cars are stopping by now to check on us.  We are just shocked.

Time passes.  Highway Patrol comes by, the other truck in the accident is there (he could drive his truck, that's how little the damage was to him).  It didn't seem like much time, but it probably was around an hour or more, taking the reports, getting a wrecker, that sort of thing.  Ambulance has shown up as well, and are looking at the two of us.  Other than the scrapes we both had (I'm wearing shorts, and the tops of my thighs have burns on them from the steering wheel) we both are fine.  Holly had a concussion; I probably did as well.

Wrecker driver shows up.  I know him and he asks if he should take the truck to my dad's business.  I tell him sure, and we go off in the ambulance to the hospital.

My parent's or Holly's still have not been contacted by this point; the first my dad knew of the truck was seeing it towed in front of his shop.  He ran out, and the wrecker driver assured him we were both fine and probably at the hospital by now.

Oh, and the wet seat that caused me to think there was blood?  Slurpees, poured out everywhere.  

I got the ticket.  Passing at an intersection.  That was marked as a passing zone.

Damn, that could've ended really badly. 

Had a similar incident with the spilled drinks - my car got clipped turning left at an intersection, and we spun around a couple of times before landing in the median. My brother and his friend were with me and the friend blacked out for a few seconds. He'd been drinking a root beer and between that and him being unconscious we thought he was dead. (We all walked away with minor injuries.)

7 hours ago, InkaUtexas said:

Plane crash in Kabul. Helicopter crash in El Salvador. 

Ambushed in El Salvador, Peru and in Afghanistan. Afghanistan included multiple IED hits. 

Caught in a riptide in the Pacific. 

Married a Dominican. 

Got lost in the woods in Canada when I was 9 during the winter. 

Give this guy a medal. 

School bus hit by a freight train when I was in second grade. Dumbass vice principal driving the bus because the regular driver was sick that day. He stopped on the track to see if a train was coming. Tried to gun it, stalled, flooded it trying to restart and then he bailed out the front door - telling the kids on board to get to the back of the bus. Train going fast enough to knock and spin the bus, rather than drag it. Busted lip.

Next time I was the dumbass - scrambling/climbing a geologic area (old supervolcano caldera) without ropes 14 miles from a road. Never climb/scramble solo. Lost grip on the loose rock - slid down the face 20 feet and then dropped another 20 feet to the bottom of a ravine. Luckily the loose talus at the bottom broke the fall. Was able to hike out with a re-torn ACL. No one would have found me in that ravine - few people visit that area of the world.

Was boogie boarding on the Jersey Shore while visiting some family when I was 13/14.  There was a hurricane that had clipped the SE states but steered out over the ocean.  It was kicking up some really good waves and we were having a blast with it.   

anyhow, I catch a huge wave and am riding it in but when it crashes it slams me so hard into the ground that it knocked me out cold.  I get caught in a riptide, and when I come to, I’m about 500 yards offshore and terribly woozie.  Luckily, the damn board was still attached to my arm.  I slowly spend the next 25 or so minutes laboring my way back in floating on top of this board.  Very easily could have and should have died.   I was absolutely exhausted and  had a nasty concussion.  Then I started football practice about 3 days later.  

I had been watching Olympic gymnastics and to me it didn't look that hard. So I grabbed a living room chair and tried a front flip off of the seat. I made it approximately halfway around on my first and only attempt. After that, I decided to practice on the edge of the pool. That worked better and eventually I got to the point where I could impress the ladies on the dance floor.

I've actually had some real dangerous encounters like the engines going out on a float plane over northern Manitoba, but no one wants to hear me whine about those things.

When I was 16 I was a really careless driver. Truck had his blinker on like he was turning into where i was pulling out of, and traffic was coming quickly in the other direction so if I was going to beat it and make the light I needed to go “now”. He didn’t turn. Had no intention on turning at all actually. Just forgot to turn off his blinker. This Dodge Ram ended up T-boning my Toyota Corolla going like 40 mph and totaled the shit out of it. If someone was sitting in my backseat on the drivers side, they would’ve been fucked. I walked away with a legitimately stiff, painful feeling in my neck for the next few days, but other than that not even limp. To this day i think about that accident. If I time that a few milliseconds wrong, I’m probably dead. 

Edited by youdunnf'dup