Cheated death stories.

crash_davis

Driving to the mountains with my family, took my truck and another car for some reason. Mom riding with me. 
dad had told me at our last stop- “keep up” and I was driving faster than I should. 
Hit some ice, and did a 360 right in front of an 18 wheeler before smashing to to the snow bank on the wrong side of the rod after having missed the oncoming 18 wheeler by 20 feet, maybe?

that whole time spinning it seemed in slow motion and just thinking- fuck I’m going to die and kill my mom along with me. 

Back in ‘07 I went to Peru.

Went to Machu Picchu.

I’m by myself and meet this Israeli guy who was the most pussy obsessed person I’ve still ever met. 

Dude had one gear in life. 11. 

Well these girls at the same hotel / hostel want to go up to the top of Huyana Picchu and see the clouds break as the sun rises.

Cool idea.

This dude wants to fuck them all 8 times over so he’s totally down. So am I.

That morning we get up as early as 1st entry and make our way quickly to trail up to Hyana Picchu. 

The girls and this Israeli are in nuts shape. I’m skinny and in good shape, but they were fucking flying up this trail.

I keep up ... but am tired. We see the sunrise. It’s really amazing.

Dude is laying some shit game, but obviously his is a numbers game.... this time he strikes out.

He is undeterred and just leaves down to the moon temple area.

I’m still too tired. 

The girls leave. 

Still tired, but I get the gumption shortly after.

My legs are shaking on the descent. 

It’s so damn slippery because of the moisture / fog / clouds.

Out of nowhere I slip on a stone step.

Hit the ground and roll.

I try and grab something and....

Next thing I know I’m hanging on the side of a cliff. 

No one is around. And I am silent.

I kind of gather myself and .... well just pull myself 3-4 feet up to the ledge.

I peek over and realize that if I had fallen another couple of feet I’d be a goner.

Machu Picchu was worth it though. Place is amazing.

• Hook 'Em 6

1 hour ago, Dnaguy said:

Back in ‘07 I went to Peru.

Went to Machu Picchu.

I’m by myself and meet this Israeli guy who was the most pussy obsessed person I’ve still ever met. 

Dude had one gear in life. 11. 

Well these girls at the same hotel / hostel want to go up to the top of Huyana Picchu and see the clouds break as the sun rises.

Cool idea.

This dude wants to fuck them all 8 times over so he’s totally down. So am I.

That morning we get up as early as 1st entry and make our way quickly to trail up to Hyana Picchu. 

The girls and this Israeli are in nuts shape. I’m skinny and in good shape, but they were fucking flying up this trail.

I keep up ... but am tired. We see the sunrise. It’s really amazing.

Dude is laying some shit game, but obviously his is a numbers game.... this time he strikes out.

He is undeterred and just leaves down to the moon temple area.

I’m still too tired. 

The girls leave. 

Still tired, but I get the gumption shortly after.

My legs are shaking on the descent. 

It’s so damn slippery because of the moisture / fog / clouds.

Out of nowhere I slip on a stone step.

Hit the ground and roll.

I try and grab something and....

Next thing I know I’m hanging on the side of a cliff. 

No one is around. And I am silent.

I kind of gather myself and .... well just pull myself 3-4 feet up to the ledge.

I peek over and realize that if I had fallen another couple of feet I’d be a goner.

Machu Picchu was worth it though. Place is amazing.

Camino del Inca will kick your ass. But rules man. 

Story 2:

I get to work on a Tuesday after taking Monday off.

Go to the control room to catch up before morning meeting. I was lazy and didn't read Monday's notes so I got a long rundown.

Morning meeting is nothing unusual. Typical.

Now I need to go over the weekend reports / Monday emails to make sure I didn't miss anything or see if I got a shit rundown from control room.

There were some batches that didn't line up with what I was told so I was trending it out....

VP runs by my office: "Turn off the AC!"

He runs down the hall trailing off "Where is it?"

Me in my head: [oh shit]

I go and turn it off but there's still no alarm.

Turn on the radio and get: Everyone out of the reaction area!

I ask my boss WTF is going on but he has his radio off and doesn't know. It's been less than a minute since I turned off the AC.

I start to make my way towards the exit down the hall when a large BOOM! shakes the whole building.

I remember the ceiling tiles (it's a drop ceiling) jumping up and all this dust flying everywhere.

I fucking run as fast as I can towards the exit now. I remember thinking I wasn't about to be crushed in a building collapse.

I see a lab tech burst through the lab door and fall to the ground.

I pull him up mid-stride and we head to the turnstile.

The badge reader is still activated (it shouldn't have been) and now I'm getting crushed by 6 other people trying to get out.

I finally get it to work and now sprint across the street and look back.

A huge black bloom of smoke is rising up.

Secondary and tertiary blasts are going off, but nothing like the 1st.

Once everything was learned about the incident, I realized that had I not been out Monday and had I not been 'catching up' on emails / trends that I would have likely been out in the unit trying to unfuck / troubleshoot the reasons why the batches were off.

Could have been out there caught in the vapor cloud and could have been in it when it lit off. Shit happened in only a couple of minutes.

Shit still fucks with my head every once in a while.

• Hook 'Em 2

My bride and I had been married two weeks and were moving to deep East Texas.  She was in her car in the lead and I was following on my motorcycle.  We were pulling into Nacogdoches, and just west of the loop when a gold Caddy passed me and got between us.  He puts his right turn signal on, slows, and pulls to the right to turn onto the loop.  I start to pass him, and am far enough by him that I can't see him in my peripheral vision when he suddenly just appears six inches in front of my front tire, braking hard and heading for the left turn lane.  I still don't know how I braked quickly and hard enough to not hit him, or how he missed hitting me.  Meanwhile, from my young bride's perspective, it looked like he hit me.  She was far enough ahead that she went around a curve to where she couldn't see me appear from behind him.  I caught up with her at a convenience store parking lot, where she was turning around to come see if I was still alive.  We both sat there and shook for about 10 minutes.  I hope that fuckhead in the Caddy has permanent ED.

Driving home from work one day, turning left onto a highway, and there is another car coming from my left, on the right shoulder, slowing down like they are going to turn onto the street that I am on.  I look right to make sure that the lane into which I am turning is clear and start to ease forward.  Just as I start to look left again, I just feel that I have to stop right damn there, so I pop the clutch to kill the engine and press the brake pedal to the front bumper.  I stop just a cunt hair short of hitting a car being driven by a woman in her sixties, with a woman in her eighties in the passenger seat going past me at a faster rate than they had been going when I last saw them.  If I had pulled out normally they would have hit me doing about 45, maybe on the front corner, maybe on my door.  Both of the crones in the car flipped me off as they went past, then turned into the old folks home about a half mile further down the road.  I hope both of them stub their toes repeatedly and frequently. 

Tl;dr - never, ever trust a right turn signal.

• Hook 'Em 1

In high school, junior year I believe, an old friend who lived on the corner of our block was given a "vintage" BMW 2002.  He stopped by and wanted to give me a ride in it.  Although he had turned into a pretty major fuckup and we were no longer good friends, I went along for the ride.

So he's coming back to our block, which requires crossing a four-lane street, that is one block south of a fairly major intersection.  Which means traffic is backed up down the four-lane street but the intersection with our street is not blocked.

So he starts across the first two lanes and can't see the far two lanes because of the traffic backed up from the light.  He cruises out into the far lanes, at which point I see a yellow Corvette coming at us at a fair rate of speed, probably 35-40.  I had not put on my seatbelt, so I "stood up" and crammed myself into the space between the dashboard and windshield while the Corvette commenced to smacking the passenger door dead center.

The BMW was thrown about 30 feet into the corner lot on our block.  The passenger door was crushed into the console.  I was dazed and concussed and had a sore knee from some aspect of the collision.  I don't recall how I got out of the car.  But I walked home, three houses down.  I knew that I had narrowly avoided death.

At some point, for some reason, my parents went to look at the wrecked BMW at a gas station/repair shop.  My Mom almost fainted when she saw the passenger side of the car.

I am one of the few people who can legitimately say that I am alive because I didn't wear a seatbelt one day.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 2

Shit, where to begin.

Prom night.  Buddy and I were roaring down Mopac headed to the UT Alumni center going about 120mph.  Coors light cans strewn everywhere.  I'm driving, look over at my date and noted "damn, we're going really fast" and by the time I looked back had gone close to a mile.  Thank god for straight roads.  Arrived and I puked a giant mouthful of foam, and in the went.

Same friend.  Party of access road off Mopac.  Beer run, that at the last second I decline to go on.  Same buddy and another guy come back and CLEAVE THE CAR IN HALF after speeding and hitting one of those giant metal light poles off N. MOPAC sideways.  Cleaved car directly behind the front seats.  They walked away with scratches.   Radio was still on....

I've been around numerous shooters that were idiots.  Rounds going off way to close for comfort.  Being at the range and some idiot putting a hole in the ceiling.  Crap like that.

Icy roads going down Ranger Hill with a giant semi behind me blaring his horn and starting to jackknife before we made it to the bottom and found dry pavement and straightened out.  Truck at the time was a 4x2 with a manual transmission.  Had the clutch in coasting with no weight in the back.  Slightest touch to the accelerator send the ass end out.  So all I could so was steer and let gravity do it's thing.  I can see the cab getting larger and larger in the rear view mirror and his horn blaring.....fuck, fuck fuck fuck......

13 years old I had a horse kick me square in the chest.  I woke up with a 1" tall horseshoe shaped knot on my chest and my dad (whom I have seen cry twice) freaking out with tears streaming down his face.  He said I was out for over a minute with no pulse, no breathing and my eyes rolled back in my head.  

Same age I took my grandmother's old Chevy Belaire out on a caliche road and jumped this hill, Dukes of Hazzard style, going about 60 mph.  I flew 3 or 4 feet in the air and as I landed squarely in the center of this one lane road with 2 foot bar ditches I thought, "Well this wasn't so bad." .  Then I bounced back up into the air while the car turned 90 degrees to the road and landed again and power-slid for what seemed forever.  

You may not be able to tell from these stories but I grew up on a ranch in the middle of no where.

• Hook 'Em 2

23 minutes ago, Ten Bears said:

13 years old I had a horse kick me square in the chest.  I woke up with a 1" tall horseshoe shaped knot on my chest and my dad (whom I have seen cry twice) freaking out with tears streaming down his face.  He said I was out for over a minute with no pulse, no breathing and my eyes rolled back in my head.  

Same age I took my grandmother's old Chevy Belaire out on a caliche road and jumped this hill, Dukes of Hazzard style, going about 60 mph.  I flew 3 or 4 feet in the air and as I landed squarely in the center of this one lane road with 2 foot bar ditches I thought, "Well this wasn't so bad." .  Then I bounced back up into the air while the car turned 90 degrees to the road and landed again and power-slid for what seemed forever.  

You may not be able to tell from these stories but I grew up on a ranch in the middle of no where.

Ten Bears Ranch has a nice ring to it 

16 and stupid. Driving my massive 1988 K5 blazer down a steep mountain freeway in Colorado while my brother and his lady friend were asleep. I decide to try and save gas by putting the truck in neutral and turning the engine off. After a few seconds I lose power steering and breaks with a sharp curve ahead as I gain speed. I wrestle with the steering wheel and mash the breaks as hard as I can to little avail when finally I get the engine restarted right before the curve.

i have never told my brother that story.

• Hook 'Em 1

Ok then, to almost actually dying... I was a big bike rider back in my twenties, and unless I absolutely had to drive, I rode my bike. School, work, shopping, everywhere. So one day I'm riding my bike to the bank to deposit a check. I'm crossing a crowded busy road with traffic mostly stopped at a light about a hundreds yards down the road. A truck driver slows and waves me across and I stupidly went, promptly being hit by a pickup that was coming up beside him. I was rushed to the hospital, but while I was in pain and clearly banged up, I didn't seem to have any actual severe wounds. They checked my everything and even x-rayed me - all clear - and I was sent home. One of my old frat buddies drove me home but I was obviously a mess and he didn't leave. Eventually my then live-in girlfriend, who was an ICU nurse, came home from work, saw me and started doing her own examination. My lung had slowly collapsed from internal bleeding, which she quickly diagnosed. And back to the hospital I went, where they stuck a tube in me and drained it all out. The reason it hadn't been caught earlier was that it just wasn't enough at the time for my lung actually fail and it to show up when they checked my breathing or on any scan. She said that if I had stayed home about another 3 - 4 hours longer, I would have simply died.

Edited by ouflak
  • Hook 'Em 1

Living off of Cameron Road at the Trestles.   1993ish.  End of year finals.  Junior year at UT.  My GF at the time invited me to a party because she was done.  I declined because I had one more final the day after.   30mins after leaving I get a knock at the door and she's back and bleeding from where her head hit the drivers side widow and bruised up.  Someone ran that light right there at 290 and 35.  Right by the old bus station and plowed into her car.   Which she was able to move/drive to the a parking lot.  After seeing it Im not sure how it even was able to move.  Most of the damage was from the passenger door back.   I go to look at the car the next day and the passenger side was pushed so far over that the seat was basically gone.   That would have been me.    Like the poster above she was sore as shit, whiplash, and her entire upper leg was purple from the T shifter being crammed into her leg.   He was going fast enough that he pushed the little car right up to the railing.  Could easily have pushed her off the over pass so really two of us told could have gone..  

On 7/30/2020 at 1:38 PM, NoRagrets said:

16 and stupid. Driving my massive 1988 K5 blazer down a steep mountain freeway in Colorado while my brother and his lady friend were asleep. I decide to try and save gas by putting the truck in neutral and turning the engine off. After a few seconds I lose power steering and breaks with a sharp curve ahead as I gain speed. I wrestle with the steering wheel and mash the breaks as hard as I can to little avail when finally I get the engine restarted right before the curve.

i have never told my brother that story.

so...a little ragret.

Edited by slorch

On 7/30/2020 at 1:40 PM, ztejas said:

There is a loose fucking definition of "cheated death" going on in this thread. Seems like half of these are "What's the closest you've gotten to dying?" which is a fun question in itself but a different topic.

Beats the hell outta "Name an obscure player most folks have forgotten" and we get a list of HoFers and high achievers.

I like the close call stories.  I guess you're saying some folks weren't in danger?