Sign in to follow this  
Dr. Beeper

Watersound, Florida

Anyone ever been here?  We may buy a house here and rent it out for 48 weeks out of year. I love this area of Florida and come every other year, at least. So, driving from Fairhope, AL to 30-A, and stopping in some gas stations, you see some shit. Some shit that makes you think some of the Florida Men are watching Texas’ biggest rednecks and saying, “hold my beer.”

Today I was jogging and took 3 emergency explosive scats. One in a port-a-potty alongside a home under construction.  And then twice alongside 30-A behind some brush, each right by one of their entrance signs. 

Am I gonna get kicked out of here?  Get Covid from the portapotty?  End up on the news?

1 hour ago, Dr. Beeper said:

So, driving from Fairhope, AL to 30-A, and stopping in some gas stations, you see some shit.

you live in fairhope, AL?

2 hours ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Anyone ever been here?  We may buy a house here and rent it out for 48 weeks out of year. I love this area of Florida and come every other year, at least. So, driving from Fairhope, AL to 30-A, and stopping in some gas stations, you see some shit. Some shit that makes you think some of the Florida Men are watching Texas’ biggest rednecks and saying, “hold my beer.”

Today I was jogging and took 3 emergency explosive scats. One in a port-a-potty alongside a home under construction.  And then twice alongside 30-A behind some brush, each right by one of their entrance signs. 

Am I gonna get kicked out of here?  Get Covid from the portapotty?  End up on the news?

Whenever the realtor gives you the rental assessment for the property, which is used to justify the exorbitant sale price, throw it in the trash. You aren’t getting that much rental income. 

Great place to vacation though. 

I thought you did.  so why do you only see weird shit from fairhope to 30-A?  do you close your eyes through the state of louisiana?

58 minutes ago, Telegraph_it said:

Great place to vacation though. 

apparently so, you can just shit wherever/whenever you want. They got a pancho's nearby?

1 minute ago, Blotto said:

apparently so, you can just shit wherever/whenever you want. They got a pancho's nearby?

I mean yea. Foliage everywhere and sand to cover it up. 

Good luck on the 48 weeks. I live in an area that everyone funnels to 30A, but I rarely hear anyone going to Watersound. People end up at Rosemary, Seaside, etc. and the other beachfront communities. It is a good area though.

Learn me this. Why the hell would anyone buy a vacation home and only be able to go for 4 weeks a year? Nuts!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, futureman said:

I thought you did.  so why do you only see weird shit from fairhope to 30-A?  do you close your eyes through the state of louisiana?

Flew to New Orleans because I had some work in Dallas on Friday. We typically stop in Fairhope on the way there. It’s a kickass town with a neat hotel and golf course. 

1 hour ago, Blotto said:

Ha!  A bunch of great seafood places here. Clearly the combo of my age, something I ate, and booze got to me. I had the trots while I was in a serious jog. There’s no worse feeling. 

1 hour ago, Brew said:

Good luck on the 48 weeks. I live in an area that everyone funnels to 30A, but I rarely hear anyone going to Watersound. People end up at Rosemary, Seaside, etc. and the other beachfront communities. It is a good area though.

We first stayed in the area in Seaside 11 years ago. We ventured west to Watercolor and then the last several times we’ve stayed in Rosemary. Of all those I like Rosemary the best by far. Never stayed in Alys but it’s more homes. Which is what Watersound is. It was developed probably 10-12 years ago by the same group that did Watercolor, and this group owns Camp Creek and Shark’s Tooth. The difference between Watersound and the other areas is WS is more residential and spaced out versus zero lot lines and condos. It is incredible.  

29 minutes ago, milkman said:

Learn me this. Why the hell would anyone buy a vacation home and only be able to go for 4 weeks a year? Nuts!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Because a) I work for a living, b) I want to make as much money as possible, c) I want to go other places, and d) I shit too much here. 

3 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

We first stayed in the area in Seaside 11 years ago. We ventured west to Watercolor and then the last several times we’ve stayed in Rosemary. Of all those I like Rosemary the best by far. Never stayed in Alys but it’s more homes. Which is what Watersound is. It was developed probably 10-12 years ago by the same group that did Watercolor, and this group owns Camp Creek and Shark’s Tooth. The difference between Watersound and the other areas is WS is more residential and spaced out versus zero lot lines and condos. It is incredible.  

I know it well, we spent years in the area and looked at buying before we ultimately ended up buying in Southwest FL. Most people going to the beach a week at a time want to be near beach which was my point with the 48 weeks. Water sound is a great buy and live/visit area, but I don’t see it as a great rental area. We went the same direction when we bought. I’m in a neighborhood with beach access, but my house sits on a 1 acre lot, with mature vegetation where I can only see one other house, the neighborhood is private, etc. It would not rent as well as others we looked at because you have to walk to the beach, no views, etc. but the upside is it would not rent as well so we have very few renters in the neighborhood. It is primarily people that live there or use it as seasonal second homes.

27 minutes ago, Brew said:

I know it well, we spent years in the area and looked at buying before we ultimately ended up buying in Southwest FL. Most people going to the beach a week at a time want to be near beach which was my point with the 48 weeks. Water sound is a great buy and live/visit area, but I don’t see it as a great rental area. We went the same direction when we bought. I’m in a neighborhood with beach access, but my house sits on a 1 acre lot, with mature vegetation where I can only see one other house, the neighborhood is private, etc. It would not rent as well as others we looked at because you have to walk to the beach, no views, etc. but the upside is it would not rent as well so we have very few renters in the neighborhood. It is primarily people that live there or use it as seasonal second homes.

It’s a different animal to be sure.  For those that don’t know, on 30-A, you typically ride a bike for 2-5 minutes From your house to a boardwalk and then walk across to the beach.  In Watersound, brew, the avenues are wider because it’s a newer development, and you drive a golf cart 2 minutes to either the edge of a shorter boardwalk, or to the beach club which is greatness. Two bars at 2 pools with a lazy river, and a beach bar. Everything is golf cart accessible. 

image.jpeg

On 7/28/2020 at 5:06 PM, Dr. Beeper said:

Watersound is great.  Quieter than Seaside, Rosemary, and Watercolor.  We rented a place there a few years back.  Really liked it.

Pro tip:  as long as you don't dip on the plane you should be fine.

1 hour ago, DDD Dad said:

Watersound is great.  Quieter than Seaside, Rosemary, and Watercolor.  We rented a place there a few years back.  Really liked it.

cosign.  had a wonderful time there and definitely seemed slower-paced than some places nearby. 

16 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

I have no idea how that showed up. 

At least it wasn’t a pegging link

I have been selfishly hoping that decrease demand for rentals might result in some partnerships being broken and some choice beachfront homes going for sale at less than premium prices. (Un)fortunately that really does not seem to be the case. 

Our current beach house is close to Luke Bryan's place, so we have that going for us. The property value has doubled in 6 years. If 30-A isn't a bubble I'm not sure what is and yet the realtor we work with says the $4mm plus here is booming so maybe not.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, futureman said:

cosign.  had a wonderful time there and definitely seemed slower-paced than some places nearby. 

Yep. Access to The Hub is nice and you can always go to Rosemary (which I love) and to certain restaurants in Seaside and Seagrove. 

Edited by Dr. Beeper

1 hour ago, Telegraph_it said:

I have been selfishly hoping that decrease demand for rentals might result in some partnerships being broken and some choice beachfront homes going for sale at less than premium prices. (Un)fortunately that really does not seem to be the case. 

Our current beach house is close to Luke Bryan's place, so we have that going for us. The property value has doubled in 6 years. If 30-A isn't a bubble I'm not sure what is and yet the realtor we work with says the $4mm plus here is booming so maybe not.

Man I don’t see a decrease in demand at all, ignoring the weirdest 2nd Quarter of all time. When Florida opened back up, all rentals on 30-A filled up. The place is as packed as I remember. I don’t think it’s a bubble and I disagree with the poster above who says Watersound won’t rent as well. I just left a dinner at Rosemary to come back here and am so glad we are here. 

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Man I don’t see a decrease in demand at all, ignoring the weirdest 2nd Quarter of all time. When Florida opened back up, all rentals on 30-A filled up. The place is as packed as I remember. I don’t think it’s a bubble and I disagree with the poster above who says Watersound won’t rent as well. I just left a dinner at Rosemary to come back here and am so glad we are here. 

We left for 30A during the first shutdown in Harris county beginning of April. We stayed for a month and we were there when short term rentals were stopped for X amount of time. I thought that could be a domino effect and that clearly was not the case. 

I do not rent the property, so I have no barometer to go from. Right now, it simply loses money on paper. 

Agreed, demand has not seemed to dip at all after April. 

Edited by Telegraph_it

7 minutes ago, Telegraph_it said:

We left for 30A during the first shutdown in Harris county beginning of April. We stayed for a month and we were there when short term rentals were stopped for X amount of time. I thought that could be a domino effect and that clearly was not the case. 

I do not rent the property, so I have no barometer to go from. Right now, it simply loses money on paper. 

Agreed, demand has not seemed to dip at all after April. 

Where is your house?  I’ve got a few jogging routes and may come and need to shit on your porch. You sound like a rich banker type. 

Where is your house?  I’ve got a few jogging routes and may come and need to shit on your porch. You sound like a rich banker type. 

Porch is nice. Pool would be better spot though. 

2 minutes ago, Telegraph_it said:

Porch is nice. Pool would be better spot though. 

Humblebrag. I did take a solid dump today, but am drinking a lot. I’m gonna jog a lot tomorrow and try and scat in as many private unoccupied pools as possible tomorrow. 

Posted (edited)

Humblebrag. I did take a solid dump today, but am drinking a lot. I’m gonna jog a lot tomorrow and try and scat in as many private unoccupied pools as possible tomorrow. 

I’ll let you know if I see you on the nest cam.

edit: a humblebrag would be if the property was beach front. 

Edited by Telegraph_it

We went to Watersound last year and liked it the best of the places we've been to down there over the years (Seaside, Watercolor, Seacrest, Rosemary, etc.)  The combination of the Hub and the Beach Club in Watersound make it just about perfect.   Seaside/Watercolor has become overcrowded in my opinion.

If that area wasn't so humid I'd be inclined to spend more time down there. No firsthand data about the rental weeks but I agree that 48 weeks seems pretty optimistic.

and

kendra-sunderland-main.jpg

no idea how that showed up either. Have fun down there.