Gold

1 hour ago, AUS-97HORN said:

does the UT endowment still own the 6,643 gold bars?    all I can find is an article from 2018 where the endowment said they want to slowly move away from physical gold. 

I thought they just finished building that new repository in Cedar Park?

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

Yeah, I can't think of a better time to invest in a commodity than at an all-time high.

First, that has very little to nothing to do with whether something is a good investment or not. 

Second, gold is nowhere near an all-time high. It's actually very close to an all-time low if you adjust for inflation (which you should - I don't understand why you wouldn't). 

12 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Second, gold is nowhere near an all-time high. It's actually very close to an all-time low if you adjust for inflation (which you should - I don't understand why you wouldn't). 

Wow, inflation must have been screaming high over the past 20 months or so.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Wow, inflation must have been screaming high over the past 20 months or so.

I was looking at some bad sources for my second point. I should have dug a little deeper (no pun intended) for a more accurate picture. On review it seems like it is expensive right now but there were similar peaks around 2012 and in the early 80s.

• Hook 'Em 2

The 1980's rampant inflation led to a speculative bubble in gold.

2012, fears of a Eurozone collapse due to the debt loads of the shitty PIGS led to a speculative bubble in gold.

2020, pandemic leads to printing dollars like crazy, leads to fears of future inflation, leads to a speculative bubble in gold.

Yep, totally different.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

The 1980's rampant inflation led to a speculative bubble in gold.

2012, fears of a Eurozone collapse due to the debt loads of the shitty PIGS led to a speculative bubble in gold.

2020, pandemic leads to printing dollars like crazy, leads to fears of future inflation, leads to a speculative bubble in gold.

Yep, totally different.

It sounds like you have it all figured out so why are you talking to me? Is your money where your mouth is? If so I hope you're right. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

19 hours ago, workswithseed said:

Paging @bernorange to the golden courtesy phone line.

yo

18 hours ago, AUS-97HORN said:

does the UT endowment still own the 6,643 gold bars?    all I can find is an article from 2018 where the endowment said they want to slowly move away from physical gold. 

UTIMCO's 2019 financial statement shows that they owned slightly more than $300 million worth of gold circa August 31, 2019.  They haven't posted a 2020 statement yet.

17 hours ago, Armybrat said:

I thought they just finished building that new repository in Cedar Park?

The Texas Bullion Repository in Leander is an agency of the State of Texas and separate from UTIMCO.  I don't know where UTIMCO is currently vaulting their gold.

IMO, Rusty is correct - gold is just getting started (not peaked yet).  Last market analysis I read claimed:

“Looking at open interest in the futures markets, there does not seem to be excessive speculative positioning. This suggests physical buying and exchange traded funds are currently the key factors driving the price, which means a break above $2,000 will likely lead to increased speculative positioning that could push prices even higher,” said Hussein Sayed, chief market strategist at FXTM in a report Monday.

Analysts at Commerzbank also said that gold has plenty of upside when looking at speculative interest.

“The fact that the rise in the gold price has been hardly driven by speculation at all argues against any excessive correction,” the analysts said in a report Monday. “Net long positions held by speculative financial investors increased only slightly in the last reporting week, and still remain significantly short of their early-March level.”

https://www.kitco.com/news/2020-07-27/Hedge-funds-continue-to-bet-on-gold-prices-have-room-to-move-higher.html

Edited by bernorange

34 minutes ago, Rusty Shackelford said:

ehh, not really, but here's the regular scale if you preferimage.png.2f81f2660de566aeb8ebb9756373d8ec.png

I just mean it levels it out a bit.

Gold_price_in_USD.png

Here's CPI-U adjusted non linear. 

28 minutes ago, bernorange said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/markets.businessinsider.com/amp/news/goldman-sachs-raises-12-month-gold-forecast-2300-per-ounce-2020-7-1029437936

Goldman's 12 month target is 2300

10 hours ago, Harrison Stafford said:

The gold silver ratio hit a historic high going back against every century of recorded history and now the spread is collapsing back to normal ranges, which entails silver skyrocketing.  That's the silver lining in your precious metals play.

I'm onboard with this. I bought a bunch of physical silver around 2012 - 2013 and watched it drop like a rock. I was down about 40% at one time. Just waiting for it to break even and then I'm liquidating most of my silver and buying more gold.

This post was written in a hotel room in New York City
Right about the time a friend of ours, Little Steven
Was putting together a record of artists against apartheids
It's a song written about a man in a shanty town outside of Johannesburg
A man who's sick of looking down the barrel of white South Africa
A man who is at the point where he is ready to take up arms against his oppressor
A man who has lost faith in the peace makers of the West
While they argue and while they fail to support a man like Bishop Tutu
And his request for economic sanctions against South Africa
Am I bugging you?
Don't mean to BUG! ya
Ok Edge, play the blues

22 hours ago, Superhero said:

I'm onboard with this. I bought a bunch of physical silver around 2012 - 2013 and watched it drop like a rock. I was down about 40% at one time. Just waiting for it to break even and then I'm liquidating most of my silver and buying more gold.

I get why you might want to free up the $ by selling the silver, but I don't understand why people are choosing to buy gold right now.

Of course, I am usually wrong. Just seems like there might be other things not currently maxed out in price that you could get instead.

(When gold shoots up to $4K/oz, I will be honored to have this post resurrected and mocked.)

8 minutes ago, RDCanecutter said:

I get why you might want to free up the $ by selling the silver, but I don't understand why people are choosing to buy gold right now.

Of course, I am usually wrong. Just seems like there might be other things not currently maxed out in price that you could get instead.

(When gold shoots up to $4K/oz, I will be honored to have this post resurrected and mocked.)

It's more about selling my silver. I have a lot of silver, and even though it's fun to roll around in silver coins, a lot of silver = a lot of weight.

The gold/silver price ratio is 87:1 now. Which suggests I should be hoarding more silver.  But carrying 1 oz of gold is easier than lugging around 5.5 pounds of silver.

https://seekingalpha.com/article/658611-precious-metals-are-on-sale-or-are-they

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Superhero said:

It's more about selling my silver. I have a lot of silver, and even though it's fun to roll around in silver coins, a lot of silver = a lot of weight.

The gold/silver price ratio is 87:1 now. Which suggests I should be hoarding more silver.  But carrying 1 oz of gold is easier than lugging around 5.5 pounds of silver.

I can dig it.

Counting the mark-ups I see on my favorite dealer, the real ratio is closer to 77 to 1, taken from comparing the cheapest gold bar to the cheapest silver bullion.

Oddly, the big silver ingots are not always the best price.

1 hour ago, RDCanecutter said:

Gold is not maxed out. Maybe this is a peak but there is plenty of room for it to go up with the current state of affairs globally. Idk about $4k an ounce but many analysts aren't seeing 2k as particularly close to a short term ceiling. 

1 hour ago, Superhero said:

The gold/silver price ratio is 87:1 now. Which suggests I should be hoarding more silver. 

Assuming you are anticipating the ratio to decline, to hedge properly you should be shorting gold in addition to buying silver. The ratio has nothing to do with the value of silver in a vaccum. 

As for "carrying them around" most precious metals you buy will be held at your expense. It is difficult to physically obtain the metal iirc. 

10 hours ago, ztejas said:

... It is difficult to physically obtain the metal iirc. 

There are many ways to buy "gold" - ETFs, futures contracts (COMEX), allocated shares at a vault (direct claim, high storage fees), unallocated shares at a vault (no direct claim, lower fees), physical metal from a dealer or refinery.

The last option is really easy for the lay person.  You will likely only have difficulty if you are trying to buy UTIMCO sized quantities.  Most players buying on that scale are taking physical delivery on futures contracts and that's where things get murky apparently.

Also, it's possible for the gold/silver ratio to decline while both gold and silver continue going up (silver just goes up faster).  i wouldn't be shorting gold right now unless you had insider info from someone at the Fed.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, Superhero said:

I have some physical gold and silver and also hold gold and silver ETFs, but (mainly because of the size difference) for my future PM purchases, I have settled on buying only physical gold and only ETF silver.

If anybody is thinking of buying more physical gold or silver, think for a moment about what you get when you resell it.

Commemorative/"shipwreck"/Super-duper numismatic value, those are nice to look at. The resale value might be half what you paid. Maybe you can find another collector who'll give you what you paid.

In normal times, the premium you pay for US Silver Eagles, you can probably get that back. Right now, those premiums are crazy, so who knows.

If somebody is offering you less than 95% spot value for your gold, walk away, unless you really really need that meth right now. For silver, at least spot price minus a dollar. (This was in the Before Times, actually now you can probably get at least spot price for both if you nose around.)

Think about where you'll be, and how much the average person in that area knows about gold and silver, and what they prefer. I have never been to Asia, but India is supposed to be gold-crazy. I hear that Asian buyers want more 24k stuff too, so you might want to go with something like a Buffalo instead of an Eagle.

2020-american-buffalo-1-oz-gold-coin-bu_

I like Mexico, and never miss a chance to pick up a couple of gold pesos. Super common. They buy and sell them in banks there. I figure I could live like a freak in Mexico on two or three of these a month:

2_peso_1_1-187x187.jpg

In the US, unless your family is really different from the norm, your relatives will have no idea what your metal is worth and will veer between thinking it's magical millionaire money, or that it's no good because it's old and maybe foreign. I suggest taking the most serpent-like of your descendants and educating him/her/it as to what the coins are, where to sell them, or else you'll keel over, and if they don't chuck the gold out along with your #1 Action Comics, then they'll roll down to the pawn shop with it and maybe get half price, which they will immediately spend on a piece of glass and plastic that goes bloop bloop bloop for a year, until they drop it.

• Hook 'Em 1