Dolly F’n Parton

Brisketexan

Ok...Dolly is a national treasure. Correction - a global treasure.

I remember when I was a kid, my gruff S. Texas oil patch/ranching grandpa said, when Dolly came on the show we were watching, “people just see the hair and the boobs, but she’s the most talented singer there is.” And I listened, and agreed.

And she is kind, and good. She gives so much to her community, to literacy and the needy, all of it.

And so, I’ve got a couple of drinks in me, and my wife and I were talking about how one of my dream trips is to go spend a month in Ireland, to find a home pub, and end up there every night, drinking more than I should and singing with the other drunks. And it reminded me of this, one of my favorite videos of all time:

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

Dolly is an angel.  What a wonderful woman.  What she has done for literacy in this country is amazing.  

Our highest civilian honor is the Presidential Medal of Freedom. 

It's value has gone down recently, unfortunately.  

She deserves that, and much, much more. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

Her looks and rack make it easy to overlook how incredibly talented she is as a singer and songwriter, and how shrewd she is as a businesswoman. Watching the Ken Burns Country Music documentary, I think how incredible she is was one of my bigger takeaways.

The story of how she wrote "I Will Always Love You" (which she wrote in the SAME FUCKING DAY SHE WROTE JOLENE) to soften the blow/get out of her partnership with Porter Wagoner is great.

If it wasn't for Maybelle Carter she'd easily be the biggest female badass in country music history, potentially in the history of American music.

Edited by Celery Man
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Celery Man said:

Her looks and rack make it easy to overlook how incredibly talented she is as a singer and songwriter, and how shrewd she is as a businesswoman. Watching the Ken Burns Country Music documentary, I think how incredible she is was one of my bigger takeaways.

The story of how she wrote "I Will Always Love You" (which she wrote in the SAME FUCKING DAY SHE WROTE JOLENE) to soften the blow/get out of her partnership with Porter Wagoner is great.

If it wasn't for Maybelle Carter she'd easily be the biggest female badass in country music history, potentially in the history of American music.

1000%.  Plus.

dolly-parton_1453215006-440x442-14532150

If there is such a thing as the "Total Package", it's Dolly Parton.  An unimpeachably brilliant artist, and insanely beautiful woman.

This right here.