Pork ribs

jimmyjazz

Pork infrastructure of choice  

75 members have voted

1. 1. Pork infrastructure of choice. Choose one.

• Baby backs
    • Spare ribs
    • St. Louis cut spare ribs

It's easier to find StL cut spares than whole spares. Costco, Whole Foods, Central Market all carry them.  Added bonus: I can fit three racks on my WSM without trimming them.

Edited by Dutch
  • Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/30/2020 at 1:24 PM, jimmyjazz said:

Great, thanks.  I found it interesting that he said "don't buy St. Louis cut spare ribs" and then he butchered spare ribs down to a St. Louis cut.  I'll gladly pay for that service.

This.  Makes no sense to me.  Glad I'm not the only one.

Full spares allow the proper rendering for the total flavor quotient. Chopping off the top chunk only makes the size of St. Louis spares more convenient, but sacrifices a great deal of flavor, and basically throws away money, because you end up paying about the same price to have a chunk of the rack removed. But I enjoy all three when done properly.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Been working on smoking ribs and whatnot. Started with chicken and sausage. Need something to occupy my mind and sanity when in quarantine.

Pictures are from two different batches. I’m using an electric smoker and am wanting to upgrade to a pellet grill soon. Using a 3-2-1 technique. Prep with mustard, a bit of blotched apple juice and a pork rub. 3 hours at 180, create a pouch with aluminum foil and set ribs in apple juice, put honey and brown sugar on top of ribs, pouch ribs and put back in smoker for 2 hours at 225. Pull out after 2, unwrap and put homemade BBQ sauce on, back in smoker unwrapped for an hour. Let sit for 10 minutes then slice them up. I put a 5 pack of sausage on the top rack with an hour and a half left. HEB beef sausage is the shit.

Im using pecan and mesquite wood chips. It’s fun and I’m getting the hang of it.

Also, remove the membrane.

C2DE6158-CEC4-4900-BCC4-14F9F024979B.jpeg

F096DDEE-2056-4E27-B358-8CA7FDE91433.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

9.9/10.  Best ribs I've made or had.

As for the "dump"

The only time I've had ribs in Memphis, they showed up with about 2 cups of rub dumped over them. 

I've had way better ribs since then.  But as ridiculous as it was, it was tasty.

Rub I used was something a friend sent me from BBQ Bible (his looked good; so I tried it).

1/4 cup Paprika

1.5 T Brown Sugar

1.5 T Fresh Ground Pepper

1 T Coarse Salt

1.5 Tsp

Garlic Powder

Celery Salt

Cumin

Cayenne Pepper

Mustard Powder

Mustard binder

Spritzed with Water/ACV regularly after about the 2 hour mark.

Smoked for 6 hours on the WSM.  Added more rub at the 5.5 hour mark. 

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 1

for the past year i've been eating my steaks/ribs immediately after they come off the grill or smoker.  i find i enjoy eating something really hot much more than i care about the juices not settling.  frankly the juices running out with each bite is pretty good eats.  

8 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

for the past year i've been eating my steaks/ribs immediately after they come off the grill or smoker.  i find i enjoy eating something really hot much more than i care about the juices not settling.  frankly the juices running out with each bite is pretty good eats.  

I rest my steaks between the cook and the sear. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Just now, gsoda3 said:

that's a good idea.  i'll try that next time.

It's been an improvement for me.  Plus, it gives the Steaks something to do while I let the Weber Kettle come up from low temp to high temp.  Searing with the lid just cracked was another big help with getting the temp up. 

New smoker test today. 
3-2-1 method at 250. WAY overcooked. 
A Pitt boss Vertical 5. Has a water pan. Wondering if that and foiled did the over cook. Next time will do 1 unwrapped and 1 wrapped for different times. 

Good news. Wife saw “back ribs” in aged beef bin and bought them. Was beef back ribs. Did 3-2-1 on them and only about 1.5 lbs of meat but damned if they didn’t taste like a very high end brisket. 

39 minutes ago, Shaddie said:

New smoker test today. 
3-2-1 method at 250. WAY overcooked. 
A Pitt boss Vertical 5. Has a water pan. Wondering if that and foiled did the over cook. Next time will do 1 unwrapped and 1 wrapped for different times. 

Good news. Wife saw “back ribs” in aged beef bin and bought them. Was beef back ribs. Did 3-2-1 on them and only about 1.5 lbs of meat but damned if they didn’t taste like a very high end brisket. 

I think 3.2.1 is just too long except for the fattiest spares. Unless you are holding it at 225, maybe. My last set of spares was at 275-285 and they were 1.5-1-.5. Came out great. A little pull and not mushy at all. 

20 minutes ago, utee94 said:

The 3-2 at 225 is perfect.

I don't ever do a full 1 unwrapped at the end, though, it firms them up and dries them out too much for me.  More like 3-2- 0.5. 

This is what I do theses days. 

And to be honest, I cook them hotter than 225 most of the time. The last 30 minutes back on the smoke is key in my mind, I don’t want the bones to just slip out (that’s what she said), I like a little more fight from my meat (that’s also what she said). 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Q'd this weekend.A couple racks and Brisket. On my Lang burning Oak, Pecan,  and HIckory.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Ribs were the usual 5 to 6 hour affair with some wrapping in butcher paper for a little bit to help'em draw up. The Brisket did about 11 hours and about half the time in paper. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

On 8/8/2020 at 7:55 PM, dcbc said:

9.9/10.  Best ribs I've made or had.

As for the "dump"

The only time I've had ribs in Memphis, they showed up with about 2 cups of rub dumped over them. 

I've had way better ribs since then.  But as ridiculous as it was, it was tasty.

Rub I used was something a friend sent me from BBQ Bible (his looked good; so I tried it).

1/4 cup Paprika

1.25 T Brown Sugar

1.25 Tsp

Coarse Salt

Fresh Ground Pepper

Garlic Powder

Onion Powder

Cumin

Cayenne Pepper

Mustard Powder

rubbed with mustard and applied rub liberally.

Ran out of ACV.  So I used a mixture of water, white vinegar, and LA hot sauce to spritz it about once per half hour after the first 2 hours.  Added some quick, but not long lasting heat.

Smoked for 6 hours on the WSM.  Added more rub at the 5.5 hour mark. 

That’s pretty damn close to the rub I make at home, minus the liberally applied mustard.   

just got my back yard stick smoker running again (had a new hot box welded on) and did a trial run with a couple racks and a whole chicken.  I’ll have it dialed completely in by next cook, but they were still tasty as shit.  

0B8150CD-114F-4A03-A524-F78D59DAA769.jpeg

005B73A6-ED32-4668-91AD-765EC91BD19B.jpeg

AEB7E1D1-E07B-4D8B-8AB0-1338FBE85152.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1

On 8/9/2020 at 7:47 PM, pops said:

I think 3.2.1 is just too long except for the fattiest spares. Unless you are holding it at 225, maybe. My last set of spares was at 275-285 and they were 1.5-1-.5. Came out great. A little pull and not mushy at all. 

Agreed.  5 hours max.  I don't wrap.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I get some BBQ stuff in my IG feed and looking at some of those pics and videos I had a pifane. I never realized that a lot of the BBQ joints aren't serving St. Louis cut spares. I believe they are cutting off the flappy skirt, cutting off the breast plate or whatever that thing is and then cooking with the side skirt/cartilage and rib tips intact. And then slicing the ribs whole and serving with the rib tips intact. If you look at AF's "Master Class" info that he has online for spares and look at the pictures I think this is what he does, as well. I only get to visit Austin once a year or so, so maybe this isn't news.  I've always only cooked St. Louis style and it seems like that's what I've seen done here on the board over the years. Anyone cook them this way?

• Hook 'Em 1